mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Prickly Pedal question, first race

Hi guys, Iím about to sign up for my first mountain bike race/ event. I canít decide which category to sign up for. Do I choose the pros category or the Cat 1/2/3 category?

To to give an idea of my riding ability, Iím 24 and can easily do the waterfall at south mountain. Iím way outta shape, but Iím going to train hard the next 30 days.

I donít want to push anyone off the trail nor do I want that to happen to me, I just want to finish the race.

Thanks for for your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prickly Pedal question, first race-2286134a-dc66-452c-933d-d5515cd5f11d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'd sign up for the Cat 1/2/3 rather than go with the Cat 1 side of Pro/1. Your technical ability may be good, but if you say you're "way outta shape" that's going to have more of an influence on what category you should be riding with and your final performance. Especially over 35 miles.

Go 1/2/3, have fun, enjoy the challenge!

If you decide you want to do more racing after this, use your time in PP relative to others as a gauge for what category you should be in moving forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerNoob94 View Post
    Hi guys, Iím about to sign up for my first mountain bike race/ event. I canít decide which category to sign up for. Do I choose the pros category or the Cat 1/2/3 category?

To to give an idea of my riding ability, Iím 24 and can easily do the waterfall at south mountain. Iím way outta shape, but Iím going to train hard the next 30 days.

I donít want to push anyone off the trail nor do I want that to happen to me, I just want to finish the race.

Thanks for for your input!
    I say screw it, go pro and just crash and burn. Throw some elbows and take everyone down with you.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    I say screw it, go pro and just crash and burn. Throw some elbows and take everyone down with you.
    This ^^^^ go big or go home.