Prescott Monstercross ride reports- Mtbr.com
    Powered by ice cream.

Prescott Monstercross ride reports

This race is such fun. It covers all the best trails in the best directions in the Prescott area. This is my first time participating in the race although I time trialed the course last year. This year's route was modified to include the infamous "Dells" section near the start which added a technical flair and some hike a bike.

Here are some random thoughts from the day:

The neutral start was fun, buzzing down Prescott Lakes Pkwy at 40+ mph with a bunch of like minded folks. I was very pleased to outroll Dan at max velocity

We headed down Peavine to the Lakeshore trail where Dan took off, Scott, Chad, and I followed. I passed Chad in short order and pinned it through the Dells where local knowledge rules. Scott hung on to my wheel and cleaned on-sight pretty much everything, including some amazingly tough climbs. I've said it before, but he is the best tech climber I have ever ridden with, and he proved it again yesterday.

I led down the ubertech descent of over-the-hill trail since Dan had gotten off course somehow in the heat of racing. Dan and Scott passed me as the we started the hike a bike out of the ravine.

Chad and Aaron from Flag caught me on the Hike a bike, then we hung together on the ride to Willow Dells.

Scott joined us after going briefly off course and Dan was off the front. We rode through the Willow Dells together and that whole group took off from me never to be seen again.

I rode pretty much alone until the middle of the Granite Basin loop where Becker and Nino caught me in Mint wash. They did not seem as excited about the first hour of tech riding as the rest of the leaders It literally took them two hours to gain back the time I put on them in the Dells.

The Dells are a great start if you want to suffer because they force you to make power moves at the beginning of a long day. Let me tell you: I did suffer. I felt like dog meat all through Granite Basin. I ran into Scott who was quitting due to a sprained ankle in the Dells. Jeff from Scottsdale passed me and slowly pulled away up 332. I stopped at Iron Springs to refill water at a cache. This is 3-4 hours in and I honestly felt pretty shelled. I was very slow on any climb and felt utterly spent from the way to fast start. I rode the next five hours alone and did not see any of the racers before or behind me.

I made my way across the Thumb Butte area at a snail's pace, and finally got to Copper Basin Rd where I stopped to inspect a creak in my drivetrain. It turned out to be a broken chainring bolt. I had a spare in my pack, but it was not long enough to fit this bike with the thick chainguard. DOH! I almost abandoned (it was sooooo tempting). I figured out that if I put the inner part of the bolt in, it carries the majority of the load. So I just zip tied the inner part of the bolt in place, and trusted my perfectly straight chain line. I tested the set up while climbing Quartz mountain, and it was working fine, so I descended Quartz and started up 396.

At this point I knew I was going to finish, I just dreaded the Spruce road climb. 396 went okay if slow, and I was on to Spruce. Amazingly, I was able to dig deep and clean the Spruce road climb. This was my proudest moment, 45 minutes of steady, barely moving, upward progress. I could see Dan's tracks squirming back and forth up the road so that inspired me a bit.

Then it was down Smith Ravine. At this point, the downs were hurting more than the ups if they were fast. I crashed and skinned a knee half way down. 305 was fine, but the lower half was a total mind game. I just wanted to be done.

I rolled in to Scott, Chad and Jeff and a fresh pizza! Thankfully they shared, and it was the best piece of pizza I've ever had!

As it turns out, my 9:13 was good for fifth place or DFL, but....I don't feel too bad because seven of 13 starters abandoned or got lost. This is by far the longest event I have ever done, and I have to say that after 3-4 hours it is all pretty much a mental game because there were times I felt terrible, and times I felt not so bad.

Final stats are 59 miles and around 9-10k of climbing.

Thanks to Chad for organizing this!

Thanks to my wife for taking care of things at home while I tried to kill myself riding.

Please add your own report to this thread if you want. I think it's a shame that only 13 people (five local) showed up for this event because it was a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    This was a great ride again this year.Seems like it hurt a lot worse this year also ,maybe due to not riding more than 2 hours at a time since somthime last year.I wish I ccould say I cleaned spruce but I walked way more than Im proud to admit.I still had a pretty good time regardless of how beat I was,SS rigid monkey did me well for a 7:10 time.I to hope we can see alot more participation next year.

Master Gardener
    Great report, Enel. You woulda won if you hadn't stop to take all those great photos!

Eric,I still can't believe you cleaned Spruce Mountain on a SS that late in the ride. My legs were so done by that point. That is a testament to sheer will power.

This was really an awesome course. We hit all my favorite trails out there and more that were new to me - but were terriffic. The Dells were "interesting". Not only was the riding great, but the scenery - from the rocks reflecting off the water in the Dells to the views from some of the high points south of town - was quite stunning. Wish I had brought my camera.

It amazes me that so many people will plunk down big bucks to ride the Whiskey 50, but we only got 13 to come ride a little further (I ended up with 59 miles), mostly on singletrack, for free.

A really fun adventure and a great day on the bike - doesn't get any better.

Shred...it's the new drug
    That's awesome!!! You can count me in for next year. I'm gonna do, really, I'm gonna do it. You guys are real men of mountain biking and kick a$$!!! Great write up enel!

mtbr member
    Just don't use your Blindside Bob.
    Good job Dan, Chad, Steve, Jeff and Eric. Maybe next year I'll make it past white spar? Thanks Chad for putting this on. Now to search for a lighter bike.
    SHITBIRD

Shred...it's the new drug
    Don't worry about that heli...that b-side lives in colorado now. Liked the idea of the SS, but will probably attempt on my 5&5. Now I just need to do a bunch of pre-rides. Think a year should be enough time to train?