mtbr member

Prescott monstercross?

Is this thing still on for saturday?If so whats the plan I think Im in! whoohoo!My wife
    actually is talking me in to this or maybe shes getting rid of me,hmmm.Either way whats the scoop?

Tucson, AZ
    It is a go, check out the website for more information. I expect there to be a good number of singlespeeders (both local and non-local) showing up and possibly a tandem!

It should be a good day on the bike followed by some great socializing with like-minded mtbers (so pack some of your favorite drink, beer or chocolate milk). I think we are coming up the night before to camp, then driving back down to Tucson for the Bike Swap and Urban Assault Race. If anyone is coming from Phoenix or Tucson that wants to camp/carpool/caravan, send me a PM.

sprocket
    Is this something old people can do? How far is the Coscto from the 'camping' area at Granit Basin?

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Is this something old people can do? How far is the Coscto from the 'camping' area at Granit Basin?
    the closest camping to Costco would be Lynx Lake camp grounds, Granite Basin is about 13 miles.

Wow is there an age limit maybe I'll have to sit this one out
    Darwin was an Optimist

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    the closest camping to Costco would be Lynx Lake camp grounds, Granite Basin is about 13 miles.Wow is there an age limit maybe I'll have to sit this one out
    I think we will be rolling into town at 8pm on Friday if you want to camp, Lynx Lake is on my list of places to camp, perhaps do a inside car camp deal depending how long we are at the downtown on Friday. There is no age limit, this should be a 6-9 hour race depending upon your motivation.

Here is the map of the route.... courtesy of singlespeeder and superhero Dan in Prescott.

Looks like a good time, regardless how fast you will be riding. A few of us coming from Tucson will be in recovery mode.

mtbr member
    I just remembered somthing cool about this loop we will pass by all six local lakes/ponds.
    Does anybody have any opinions about whether we should go up spruce fireroad to smithravine or take #307 to the lookout then down to smithravine eitherway will hurt one worse than the other.Just a thought!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    I just remembered somthing cool about this loop we will pass by all six local lakes/ponds.
    Does anybody have any opinions about whether we should go up spruce fireroad to smithravine or take #307 to the lookout then down to smithravine eitherway will hurt one worse than the other.Just a thought!
    Just a heads up, I rode 307 last Thursday. It was absolutely littered with fallen trees, especially towards at the top. .

jeff

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info ,thats probably not the best idea.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    Just a heads up, I rode 307 last Thursday. It was absolutely littered with fallen trees, especially towards at the top. .

jeff
    That's High Gear's trail. Somebody needs to call Steve and Cindy and tell 'em to get out there with their chainsaws pronto!

Tucson, AZ
    I am working on the cue sheets and GPX file today, I hope to have them ready by tonight. Check the google group for both later on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    That's High Gear's trail. Somebody needs to call Steve and Cindy and tell 'em to get out there with their chainsaws pronto!
    I just checked with the powers that be, it is not up to the trail volunteers to buck out fallen trees (in fact they are not suppose to, insurance reasons) they are responsible for trail tread and for brushing only!

the forest service is aware of the trees down on 307.

Peace!!!
    Darwin was an Optimist

Tucson, AZ
    I just checked with the powers that be,
    Peace!!!
    You still bringing out the tandem?

I just checked with the powers that be,,,Christi, and yes we'll be riding the tandem.
    ouch, this is going to hurt

see everyone on Saturday
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Have fun all, i'm out with doctors orders. Bummed.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Helimech sorry to hear that.Befoot OUCH! nice thing about this route is all the bail out spots and just roll back to town. not that we will need them.

Tucson, AZ
    The GPX track is almost finalized... check out this sweet view with Topofusion! If that does not get you excited about riding this loop, I am not sure what will. Like Dan said on the phone a few days ago when we were talking about the PMC, "this loop connects all my favorite singletrack in Prescott."

Wish you could join us Helimech, you sure did rock the first Prescott MC.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 04-14-2009 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Chad and everyone who is riding. I could swing by cosco and get pizza and beer for the after ride party if you like. Or grill up some brautts? Just as long as we have a little money can after the feast. Just give me a time and place where you would like the stuff. Maybe ionmuse's spot last year??? let me know.
    SHITBIRD

sprocket
    that is hott.

parenting for gnarness
    err...never mind. stupid me read the website.

Looks like fun, hoping I can talk Mrs. Cball into a half day.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    err...never mind. stupid me read the website.

Looks like fun, hoping I can talk Mrs. Cball into a half day.
    Let me know if you want to carpool with us.

BTW, the GPX and cue file is up for everyone to download/print.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 04-14-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Let me know if you want to carpool with us.

BTW, the GPX and cue file is up for everyone to download/print.
    WooHoo! You bringing the SS? I'm too lazy to mess with the bike so I'm just gonna stick with 32x21. I think.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Master Gardener
    That Topofusion image is incredible. Very cool stuff. I need to get with the 21st century and look into that!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    WooHoo! You bringing the SS? I'm too lazy to mess with the bike so I'm just gonna stick with 32x21. I think.
    Yeah I am bringing the SS, 32x19 I think. There should be more singlespeeders than geared riders since the course lends itself well to ss.

Powered by ice cream.
    I am a bit peeved that I am out of town for this

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I will make sure to take plenty of pictures so you can feel as if you were there with us

Helimech-- I will send you a PM. Sounds like a great offer! I am thinking we will just stay in the Costco parking lot after the race, to make it easier to greet finishers.

There will also be a few riders doing a smaller ride, C-ride up 305 if people want to do a smaller ride that same day.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Ohh la la.

Some more motivation for us this weekend

more motivation
    Bike Month 2009 - Daily Calendar of Events:

FRIDAY - April 17
    7pm: Bike Pub Poker. Meet at Lyzzard’s Lounge (120 N. Cortez St.). Join other bike nuts for a rollicking night! Visit 5 different local pubs (on your bike!) to acquire your ‘poker hand’; the winning hand receives a prize; everyone enjoys a good ride about town!

Cheers
    Darwin was an Optimist

Tucson, AZ
    more motivation
    Bike Month 2009 - Daily Calendar of Events:

FRIDAY - April 17
    7pm: Bike Pub Poker. Meet at Lyzzard’s Lounge (120 N. Cortez St.). Join other bike nuts for a rollicking night! Visit 5 different local pubs (on your bike!) to acquire your ‘poker hand’; the winning hand receives a prize; everyone enjoys a good ride about town!

Cheers
    Looks like I am going to have to leave earlier than I had planned!

This is shaping up to be a great bike-filled weekend.
    Friday: Bike Pub Poker
    Saturday: PMC
    Sunday: Bike Swap + New Belgium Urban Assault

Master Gardener
    Looks like I am going to have to leave earlier than I had planned!

This is shaping up to be a great bike-filled weekend.
    Friday: Bike Pub Poker
    Saturday: PMC
    Sunday: Bike Swap + New Belgium Urban Assault
    The Bike Pub Poker will be a blast. I've been pushing my luck with my family bigtime this week, so I'm gonna have to sit that one out. Have a peeber for me, Billy.

And for those hanging in Prescott for Sunday, you have your choice of an 8:30 AM ride from Thumb Butte (to Deering to the Juniper to Bear Claw and back via Butte Creek, Cramp Hill and Garden Grove) OR grabbing a shovel and working on the new Aspen Creek Trail re-route (also 8:30 AM at the trailhead) to smooth it out for the Whiskey next week.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1

And for those hanging in Prescott for Sunday, you have your choice of an 8:30 AM ride from Thumb Butte (to Deering to the Juniper to Bear Claw and back via Butte Creek, Cramp Hill and Garden Grove) OR grabbing a shovel and working on the new Aspen Creek Trail re-route (also 8:30 AM at the trailhead) to smooth it out for the Whiskey next week.
    We're pre-riding the 25-proof course on Sunday, so I'm sure we'll run into various peoples...

Hey, I'm assuming we'll come across you guys working on that Aspen Creek section...I'm happy to pack in a few beers for y'all, if you'd like. I'm not drinking 'em on the pre-ride, but that work should be rewarded! Lemme know and I will...
    Ride more; post less...

Master Gardener
    That would be great, a few beers. Thanks for the noble offer. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

I'm actually doing the 8:30 ride since it's a Raven Singletrack ride and I need the training for the Whiskey. (I'll be heading up Copper Basin at 7:30, then 393 to 51 over to TB to meet for the ride... what time are you guys heading up Copper Basin Rd?)

If the morning trail crew doesn't get the whole thing finished, I'm going to take an afternoon trail crew up about 3 or 4 PM. I will speak on behalf of the morning trail crew and say that they'd probably really enjoy the nice surprise of a couple cold beers from a trail angel.

Have a killer pre-ride.

Greg I will be missing the Raven ride sunday...doing the trail work thing with Rob and crew
    have a great ride
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    Greg I will be missing the Raven ride sunday...doing the trail work thing with Rob and crew
    have a great ride

We'll miss ya. Work extra hard on the trail so I don't have to pull together an afternoon trail crew!

Tucson, AZ
    Any word on the snow accumulation tonight?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Any word on the snow accumulation tonight?
    It was snowing tonight.

There was no accumulation.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    It was snowing tonight. There was no accumulation.
    Listening to Bob Marley One Love right now and dreaming of mountain biking in Prescott with 70 degree weather, I have a mighty arrow in the one hand and a chain tool in the other.

Occidental Tourist

one love. one speed.

Listening to Bob Marley One Love right now and dreaming of mountain biking in Prescott with 70 degree weather, I have a mighty arrow in the one hand and a chain tool in the other.
    I can't wait! Be there Sat morn (opting for an warm bed and an early wake).
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    My side of town by costco just very light flurries,trails will be perfect! This should be a great time.

Tucson, AZ
    ,trails will be perfect! This should be a great time.
    There is a chance I will be up in Prescott the next two weeks

sprocket
    many loves, many speeds.

I can't wait! Be there Sat morn (opting for an warm bed and an early wake).

Elitest thrill junkie
    You guys looked tired.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Anyone break 6 hours?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Anyone break 6 hours?
    I was just wrapping up my whiskey pre-ride when I saw them in the vicinity of trail 392. I even thought I saw Yetisurly, but then again I could have been hallucinating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Anyone break 6 hours?
    I did I did!! 5:58.16 with a messy tubless flat and I actually feel really good.I sure wish I could do the whiskey I feel like I could smoke it.Oh well next year.Suremissed you Dave it just wasnt the same without you.The rigid monkey with the carbon white brothers fork
    was just perfect,smooth like butter.

Occidental Tourist
    I'm kinda tired.
    That was one awesome loop - my favorite preskett ride thus far. Thanks Chad and Dan!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm kinda tired.
    That was one awesome loop - my favorite preskett ride thus far. Thanks Chad and Dan!
    Good job guys....

Tucson, AZ
    More shots from the glorious day, great weather, good lineup, route was amazing. If you want a crash course in Prescott singletrack, I encourage you to ride this route someday. GPX is available on the google group or send me a PM.

Results are up and ready to be viewed. Thanks again to Dave and Dan for the idea behind the name and ride. I tip me hat to Befoot and Co. for coming out with a tandem, great job on the 30+ miles you cranked out. Helimech, you are the man; thanks for bringing us pizza!

Nice job guys! We actually had almost identical weather up here yesterday.

Taylor and Dan, I knew it could be done!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I did I did!! 5:58.16 with a messy tubless flat and I actually feel really good.I sure wish I could do the whiskey I feel like I could smoke it.Oh well next year.Suremissed you Dave it just wasnt the same without you.The rigid monkey with the carbon white brothers fork
    was just perfect,smooth like butter.

Great job everyone for completing this. Excellent job Dan for kickin AZZ! And Kudo's to Billy and Christi for doing 30 miles on the tandem

sprocket
    More shots from the glorious day, great weather, good lineup, route was amazing. If you want a crash course in Prescott singletrack, I encourage you to ride this route someday. GPX is available on the google group or send me a PM.

Results are up and ready to be viewed. Thanks again to Dave and Dan for the idea behind the name and ride. I tip me hat to Befoot and Co. for coming out with a tandem, great job on the 30+ miles you cranked out. Helimech, you are the man; thanks for bringing us pizza!
    was I there?

Good job everyone what a ride!
    I think Christi and I will give it another go sometime soon.

Hey who is what riding through the swamp water....(yetisurly?) you are a brave man

Cheers
    Last edited by befoot; 04-19-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Darwin was an Optimist

Occidental Tourist
    A few more photos of yetisurly not being there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tucson, AZ
    42.2 max speed? Yuri, you have wings! That must have been on Spruce.

mtbr member
    Just for the record I was on SS ,the results didnt show it .Thanks chad for putting this thing together,I had a great day on the bike and I dont think we lost anybody.

sprocket
    Just for the record I was on SS ,the results didnt show it .Thanks chad for putting this thing together,I had a great day on the bike and I dont think we lost anybody.

Thanks for being the tour guide! Awesome route.

Tucson, AZ
    Ops... my bad. I will change it. Not sure how I overlooked that.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 04-20-2009 at 09:59 AM.

a special thanks to Jeff for the chain links...I had two quick-links...for single speeds
    we had a max speed of 45.5 mph going down Prescott Lakes pkwy (could have gone faster but Christi made me slow down)
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    Killer! Home Sweet Home.