PRESCOTT Group Ride Nov 7th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

PRESCOTT Group Ride Nov 7th

Raven Singletrack will be hosting our last Soul Ride of 2009 on November 7th. Last year's ride had a great turnout with 35+ riders. While it was a pretty long ride, we met some nice folks and made many new friends. This year's loop will be less complicated to navigate so we don't lose anyone (Super sorry, Dave. We still owe you a beer).

If we get a big turnout, we'll split the group in two with two loop variations to ride. We'll also keep this ride short enough to allow riders to tack on additional miles in the surrounding area afterwards.

When: November 7th, 9 AM
    Where: Granite Basin (Cayuse Day Area - bring $5 for parking)
    Who: Anyone!

We'll hand out maps of the area if you want to explore the area after the ride. We'll provide some drinks and food before and after.

Hope to see you on the 7th!

www.ravensingletrack.com

aka Diesel
    Rats!
    Sorry it falls on the same day as the 24 Hours of Fury. Sounds FUN.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Hmmm, that looks like something I might need to do!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll try to make it, no promises.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm

Seriously thinking about showing up for this!

(as long as Jayem doesn't hassle me for riding an Ellsworth )
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    Seriously thinking about showing up for this!

(as long as Jayem doesn't hassle me for riding an Ellsworth )
    There'll be plenty of people on rigid bikes for me to make fun of.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    one more thing that I'm going to miss because I'm heading back home to see the family. But that said, I am looking forward to seeing them.

have fun.
    b

gravity challenged
    May 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    There'll be plenty of people on rigid bikes for me to make fun of.
    You can make fun of my Foes/Curnutt...

Sorry that was too easy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll try to make it, no promises.
    We'd be stoked to have you join us. We'd love to have you help lead the herd.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    We'd be stoked to have you join us. We'd love to have you help lead the herd.
    I won't be responsible for any illicit language used as a result of the rigid fork I'm riding right now! Sounds good.

Master Gardener
    Looking forward to this one. I might be the only one thinking this, but I hope it's BIG. Come one, come all. If anyone wants to ride over from Thumb Butte, give me a shout.

I won't be responsible for any illicit language used as a result of the rigid fork I'm riding right now!
    No, but if anyone gets lost or injured... it's going to be all your fault. That's how it works.

Thanks for swapping forks with me... this Reba is nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Looking forward to this one. I might be the only one thinking this, but I hope it's BIG. Come one, come all. If anyone wants to ride over from Thumb Butte, give me a shout.

No, but if anyone gets lost or injured... it's going to be all your fault. That's how it works.

Thanks for swapping forks with me... this Reba is nice!
    You should've went with a Totem or a 66, just kidding. Might be around for this ride.
    SHITBIRD

Elitest thrill junkie
    I suggest 3 "loops" tied together: 349 to OHV area to 37 to 40 and down to the lake.

351 to 352 to 345 to 347 and back (I like the technical chutes on the way down, but they are fun to climb up too).

341 to 347 to 346 and back.

More riding could be added easily. This also does the most climbing early on in the ride.

Master Gardener
    I don't know any of those trails by number, but as always, I'm up for turning the cranks from here to anywhere.

While we're in the neighborhood, Clark Springs always gives me a bit of a boner.

heli- I don't even know what a Totem or a 66 is... that's how much of a dork I am.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't know any of those trails by number, but as always, I'm up for turning the cranks from here to anywhere.

While we're in the neighborhood, Clark Springs always gives me a bit of a boner.

heli- I don't even know what a Totem or a 66 is... that's how much of a dork I am.
    Clark Springs is 40. It's boner.

Master Gardener
    Oh man, I love boners. I'm all over Clark.

mtbr member
    They are forks you dork . And I'll go with "Its an art" (diapers).
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How many miles we talking........................

Master Gardener
    Heli- LOL @ the diapers

tls36- Not long. The Soul Rides, we've learned, need to be pretty tame and relatively short or we run into trouble for not being all-inclusive, i.e. toning things down for novices who want to come. So we're talking 2 hours, moderate pace, with the aim of keeping the group together.

Those who want to hammer and/or go longer can always roll out with the circus and then branch off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I suggest 3 "loops" tied together: 349 to OHV area to 37 to 40 and down to the lake.

351 to 352 to 345 to 347 and back (I like the technical chutes on the way down, but they are fun to climb up too).

341 to 347 to 346 and back.

More riding could be added easily. This also does the most climbing early on in the ride.
    I just know Homeland Security is going to monitor this thread thinking all this number business is some sort of code. 351, 347, 66, totem, boner, circus. That's gonna raise some questions.

We'll have a long loop, and a shorter loop starting at the same point, but I'm all for offering a more technical loop as an add-on later. Our last end of season ride should have been dubbed the "Ride of 1,000 obscure intersections." This version will be navigationally simplifed.

I am Walt
    Darn...I'm sorry I'm gonna miss this due to a commitment with the kids, then the 24 Hours of Fury race...I'd love to do a big Preskitt ride...
    Ride more; post less...

Master Gardener
    We specialize in scheduling our hoedowns on the same day as other, more established events, don't we? Probably because we rarely look at events calendars. Or because we're just 'tards.

We'll ride together one of these days, Walt.

I am Walt
    We specialize in scheduling our hoedowns on the same day as other, more established events, don't we? Probably because we rarely look at events calendars. Or because we're just 'tards.

We'll ride together one of these days, Walt.
    CK and I may be roaming around TB and GB on Sunday...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Just listen for the chattering teeth. I'm figuring this to be the last Preskitt ride for awhile, between the big kitty sightings and the weather.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    ...between the big kitty sightings...
    Yeah...thank gawd you're smaller than I am...
    Ride more; post less...

Master Gardener

... and if we just ...

We'll be over that way, pretty sure. You'll know me by the black Spot and the huge grin full of yellow teeth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is just a little bumpty bump for what looks to be a great ride.

Looks like the weather should be nice and fall-like. Perfect for a Prescott romp.

Hope to see you there!

I am Walt
    This is just a little bumpty bump for what looks to be a great ride.

Looks like the weather should be nice and fall-like. Perfect for a Prescott romp.

Hope to see you there!
    CK and I did a big TB/GB loop today...perfect weather...temp in high-40's to start, around 60 when we finished about 1 pm...crisp and clear...trails were sooooo nice...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    CK and I did a big TB/GB loop today...perfect weather...temp in high-40's to start, around 60 when we finished about 1 pm...crisp and clear...trails were sooooo nice...
    Wierd. So did we. We started at at Granite Basin, headed over to the Butte, did a little Bear Claw/Garden Grove loop and then headed back. I was plenty warm, that's for sure. Too early for the wool jersey.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Felt more like 80 degrees to me on the tarmac and in the cockpit(greenhouse). At least the wind is gone.

Master Gardener
    Yep, hate to be nitpicky, but it was just a touch too warm yesterday. Very close to perfect, but still about 10 degrees outta range.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, hate to be nitpicky, but it was just a touch too warm yesterday. Very close to perfect, but still about 10 degrees outta range.
    More of the same today, pretty warm, but nice for us. Remember if you live in Phoenix this weekend and are trying to decide if you should go ride in 95 degree temps or 75 degree temps: GROUP RIDE!

Dave
    Raven Singletrack will be hosting our last Soul Ride of 2009 on November 7th. Last year's ride had a great turnout with 35+ riders. While it was a pretty long ride, we met some nice folks and made many new friends. This year's loop will be less complicated to navigate so we don't lose anyone (Super sorry, Dave. We still owe you a beer).

www.ravensingletrack.com
    Hey it's dave...I'm thinking of a maybe on this one. I'd love to take you up on that beer I did have fun though guys, it was a great ride even if it was mostly by myself.
    I need to ride more and work less.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm down for a ride, Dave....holler up if you want to carpool.

Dave

I'm a coming, maybe you should make me a special map...

Clarification please: anyone
    Cayuse Day area is on Granite Basin Rd on the righthand side after you go by the camping area on the lefthand side?
    Am I correct

Just checked ravensingletrack website and I answered my own question. It is that righthand side parking area.

See you guys there.
    Last edited by liteandfast; 11-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    As the size of this group grows, it looks like we'll definately be offering two loop options. Any of you fellers care to help out as ride leaders and tails? It's a pretty strait forward pair of loops.

If so, shoot us an email: [email protected]

Master Gardener
    helimech's your man! Come on Knowlesy!

(Found out I have a child care crisis that day... won't be riding... might be delivering a post-ride cooler of cheap domestic beer. Sorry to bail on ya.)

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll lead.

mtbr member
    helimech's your man! Come on Knowlesy!

(Found out I have a child care crisis that day... won't be riding... might be delivering a post-ride cooler of cheap domestic beer. Sorry to bail on ya.)
    Dude, thats what Chris calls me . I'm debating on a Dh day or a pedal fest???? we"ll see.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Dude, thats what Chris calls me . I'm debating on a Dh day or a pedal fest???? we"ll see.

Dude ya got DH on the brain, come on out and ride a little cross country with us slow folks!
    Would love to see ya out there.

Velo - thats a dang bummer dude, haven't seen you boy's in a while.

Rover - lemme know if you need any help with anything.

Please tell me nobody told the really fast dudes about this ride ( Shu, Toby, Fixedgeardan, etc, etc)??

Are we gonna get a cameo by Enel???

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Jayem and Rick, if you guys can help out, that would be awesome. Let us know how the ride turns out. Greg and I will be at the bar.

Just kidding.

I'll be at Cayuse at 8:30 and we can go over the loops.

Christophe

mtbr member
    I'll tag along.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    See ya then.

Master Gardener
    Update: I've got the childcare squared away, so I'm in. Will pop a couple hydrocodone before because my neck's all torqued at the moment. If it ain't one thing, it's an udder.

I bet Enel shows. Hopefully Dan will come with him.

Toby's teaching his aboriginal skills class that morning.

Nino will be there. He likes to push the pace. I'll be pulling up the rear, pretending it's because of my torqued neck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I got word from another half dozen people today that they'll be swinging by to join the circus. This is gonna be a good juan.

mtbr member
    Looks good to me. Anyone want to load your arse and bike on my FJ rack, for a ride up to Priskitt? Can meet at Happy Valley/I17 and roll by 715.
    Let's GO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    RIDE VOLUNTEERS: If anyone would like to help lead or follow the group(s), please let us know. The turnout is starting to sound pretty killer! We have the maps printed so getting everyone around the loop should be a piece of cake, but having a few ride leaders and tails would be helpful.

If anyone would like to help out, please let me know or meet us at the parking area at 8:15ish. We'll have some schwag for volunteers.

Rick and Jayem are on the ride lead list and that already makes us feel better.

Bring your cameras, this is going to be a great day on wheels!

Christophe

[email protected]

bike junkie
    Dec 2007

road tripping

Hey folks,
    I'm cruising through UT right now and just caught this thread, so I'm hoping to make this ride. It looks like ( Google maps) I go out of town on Whipple---->Iron Springs Rd, then turn Right onto Granite Basin Rd. correct? About how far up G.B. Rd. is the campground that liteandfast referred to? Then how far to Cayuse Day use area?

Any info is much appreciated. TIA
    Spend time behind bars

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by willygoat
    Hey folks,
    I'm cruising through UT right now and just caught this thread, so I'm hoping to make this ride. It looks like ( Google maps) I go out of town on Whipple---->Iron Springs Rd, then turn Right onto Granite Basin Rd. correct? About how far up G.B. Rd. is the campground that liteandfast referred to? Then how far to Cayuse Day use area?

How far - not even a mile I think. It's the only parking area on the righthand side of the road. Easy to fine. Your other directions are correct. See you there
    Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willygoat
    Hey folks,

When you turn onto Granite Basin road, it's about 1.5 - 2 miles to the right hander to the Cayuse day area. Bring a fiver. The forest service charges $5 to park there. You can save that fiver by parking in a little lot at the turn on Iron Springs and then ride into the Granite Basin area.

Have a safe trip down!

Master Gardener
    I grabbed a cooler full of PBR for post-ride.

If you prefer beer that tastes good, be sure to bring some.

Today was 75 degrees and sunny with a stunning sunset. Tomorrow is more of the same. Even some color left on the trees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I see I'm not the only one who took a photo of that amazing sunset. Wow.

I've got a few dozen beverages of the sporting variety and some mom-approved ride snacks if anyone needs anything.

There's fresh batteries in the helmet cam. Air in the tires. Ice in the cooler. This is going to be pretty awesome.

Master Gardener
    Who tricked you into putting air in the tires? You read too many mtn bike magazines, bru! The air is totally unnecessary, no matter what Chopper Randolph says. You just wasted air.

mtbr member
    Will be looking FWD to some PBR's. Thanks velo.
    SHITBIRD

bike junkie
    Dec 2007
    Sweet.
    Just rolled into Flag, probably get some grub and head on down that way tonight.
    Spend time behind bars