Prescott: Goldwater Lakes Trail 396 "unofficially" closed/trashed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Prescott: Goldwater Lakes Trail 396 "unofficially" closed/trashed

Sorry, but this is a bit of a rant.

Weather and a logging closure has kept me away from the Goldwater Lakes trail, a favorite, for three months. With things drying out around Prescott, I checked the PNF website to see if the logging closure had been lifted and was pleased to see no mention of one. Arriving at the Whitespar trailhead I noticed logging equipment staged there. I looked closely for signs about a closure, but saw none. A mile into my ride the trail is obliterated by the deeply churned muddy tracks of a tracked logging vehicle. Sections of intact trail are deliberately slashed by logging crews. The damage continues for several hundred yards.

At the intersection with the Hidden Valley trail, there finally is a sign stating the trail I had been riding was closed. Hidden Valley appeared open, so I went that way. Within 200 yards I encounter more logging damage and it's on and off the bike all the way to junction with Apple Blossom. 100 yards into Apple Blossom, which leads back to the trailhead, there is a closed trail sign. I ride past, passing more logging damage on the way back my truck. I look again for closed signs around the Whitespar trailhead, but find nothing.

I'm pissed! First, three of my favorite trails are trashed. I understand the need for fire suppression, but I saw no effort of the part of the logging crews to minimize damage to the area. Second, why are there no notice of closures on the PNF website and no signs at the trailhead. This is part of the G-damn Prescott Circle Trail, which the City of Prescott heavily promotes to the outdoor public!

On the way home I stopped by the PNF office to complain, but it was closed. I'll be back again Monday to ask questions and share my "outrage." And, yes, I will be ready to volunteer when the time comes to repair this wonderful trail. Can't believe how badly this logging project has been handled.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear. Preskit would be a possible Memorial Day destination given snowpack in CA, with full circle loop or PMC being a potential ride for said trip. Hopefully they get things sorted out by then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Sorry to hear. Preskit would be a possible Memorial Day destination given snowpack in CA, with full circle loop or PMC being a potential ride for said trip. Hopefully they get things sorted out by then.
    Riding CCW, you could take the Apple Blossom spur off 396 and go up Feldmeir to complete the Circle Trail loop. Feldmeir was pretty wet yesterday so not an option for me. To see how extensive the logging is, I'm going to drop down from Senator Hwy today. I don't think they logged around 62. Wolverton is fine, though still a bit wet at the top and in the shady spots midway up.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Today I rode 396 down from Senator Hwy. past Goldwater lakes to the junction with Deerblind. I'm happy to report the trail is in good shape with no logging damage. Damage to Goldwater/396 appears to be restricted to a half-mile section between trails 374 and 81. 374 and Apple Blossom also have damage, but are mostly rideable except for a few slash piles on 374. Be advised Apple Blossom is marked "closed" near the junction with Feldmeir.
    Veni vidi velo!