Prescott conditions ????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Prescott conditions ????

Is there anything ridable up here besides the road and dells?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Granite Basin is usually the first place I'd go after a snow or storm, but there just might be too much. A lot of foot-traffic can pack down any snow though, and when you do it in the morning when it's frozen it can be pretty good, except for the fact that it's cold. Id suggest parking at the saddle and riding in and then riding stuff like 349, 351, 352, 345 and 347, again assuming it's frozen. You might be able to do some of 305 when it's frozen because it's relatively low, but I'd imagine there's enough snow and ice further on to make it imposible, it'll probably be one of the first to clear out again after Granite, but we got a ways to go. I've been hitting up Sedona and Phoenix a lot, but the Dells are nice to have due to the snow, ice and mud on the other trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Last saturday I ran the lower section of 305 I actually kept loosing the trail due to almost a foot of snow and some big trees down.Its the most I have ever seen there this side of the lake.I think its going to be a mess for a while.

Pwning Trails
    Just go to cottonwood ... should always be solid after snow

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by phlite
    Just go to cottonwood ... should always be solid after snow
    Yeah, I know exactly how "solid" it is in Cottonwood.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Everything in the Thumb Butte area will be covered for a few weeks to come. Same for the trails around Goldwater lake. I'm a little worried to see what the trails look like under the snow. That was a serious amount of water that fell from the sky last week.

mtbr member
    I suppose thats what trainers,rollers and road bikes are for.I'm going to run the lower section of 305 out to the lake in the morning with the dogs I will scope out the conditions and report back.Good night everyone.

Old and Slow
    Dan, everything up here is either soggy or snowpacked. A group of us went to ride part of the BCT yesterday, and even it was still soft in a few places.
    Getting out there one day at a time.

Powered by ice cream.
    This time of year, it is Dells, Dells, and more Dells. Luckily they are tons of fun.

Please post up to this thread as you find open trails in the mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The ONE thing that I like about living out here in Viewpoint is that West Sedona is only 45 minutes away, and I know the trails much better on both sides of the highway now and I can ride from West Sedona down to Oak Creek if I wish. Getting to Oak Creek on the other hand is almost always a trainwreck, I think it's kind of dumb to descent 2000' into Camp Verde just to climb back up, but not nearly as bad as how long it takes to get to Oak Creek if you're comming in from the West on 89a (through the town of Sedona). I park at the High School or the College in West Sedona.

The funny thing about South Mountain yesterday was that it was pretty much EXACTLY like it was just over a week ago, mostly free, a couple puddles in the same spots, no mud, etc Excellent is the way to describe it.

Master Gardener
    396 is clear. Rob installed radiant heating under the surface when he built it.

Old and Slow
    Thank Greg, I will give 396 a try!
    Getting out there one day at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Has anyone ridden the Dells lately? Dan, shoot me a pm if'n you want to do a road ride. I'm doing that or the Dells Friday morning.

Dave- was a GREAT ride at BCT last weekend, thanks for putting it together.

mtbr member
    Did the Dells today homie. Its all good except where the lake has risen in about 3 spots where it crosses the trail. I could join ya for a Dells ride friday AM? but being that your a roadie you should do that .
    SHITBIRD

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Did the Dells today homie. Its all good except where the lake has risen in about 3 spots where it crosses the trail. I could join ya for a Dells ride friday AM? but being that your a roadie you should do that .
    Me too. Missed ya I guess.

Willow Dells trails and Lakeshore are all primo.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Only if you wear your PINK lycra! About 9:15 at the dog park?

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfPrescott
    Thank Greg, I will give 396 a try!
    Dave- I'm sorry... I thought you would realize I was kidding. I haven't been on my bike in a month but I'd be willing to bet my favorite teddy bear that 396 is absolute soup right now, along with all the other trails. My wife said you posted to the Facebook Prescott group that 396 was clear and I cringed. Hopefully nobody headed over there to try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Only if you wear your PINK lycra! About 9:15 at the dog park?
    See ya there, not in PINK lycra you H0M0 . Dam HD employees, got to watch out for them.
    SHITBIRD

Powered by ice cream.
    See ya there, not in PINK lycra you H0M0 . Dam HD employees, got to watch out for them.
    I need to ride starting pre dawn and finishing around 7am. Will hit Willow and Lakeshore.

Anyone? Dan? Up for an early ride? I get creeped out there in the dark alone.

Powered by ice cream.
    305 is rideable.

Some snow, a couple trees. I imagine better in the am when frozen (when I rode it), but by this weekend should be very nice.

Amazing fact: Dan and I came across a flock of at least 50 turkeys on Sunday am. Who knew there were so many! It was like "Wild Kingdom" for a bit.

I am Walt

Whiskey Course Conditions?

Fellas...when will the Whiskey course be in decent enough shape to pre-ride? I'll be leading a pre-ride for my shop team, and need to plan that; I'm also thinking of the 50 this year, and want to guage it.

Thanks,

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Fellas...when will the Whiskey course be in decent enough shape to pre-ride? I'll be leading a pre-ride for my shop team, and need to plan that; I'm also thinking of the 50 this year, and want to guage it.

Thanks,

Walt
    Still not soon. There's still a lot of snow up there, and it will stay wet for a while, plus in the long range forecast I saw snow/wet stuff again. I'd expect in March it might start mostly clearing out. I wouldn't expect it in the next couple weeks.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Still not soon. There's still a lot of snow up there, and it will stay wet for a while, plus in the long range forecast I saw snow/wet stuff again. I'd expect in March it might start mostly clearing out. I wouldn't expect it in the next couple weeks.
    Thanks Jim. I think it was the end of March that I went up last year for my first pre-ride...probably shoot for that again.
    Ride more; post less...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks Jim. I think it was the end of March that I went up last year for my first pre-ride...probably shoot for that again.
    I remember last year 2 weeks before the race, I prerode, and there was snow at the top. This was mainly at the top of 260, just some snow from a recent storm. I went over mingus just a couple days ago and there are drifts with at least 3' at 7000 feet, it's going to take a while for the stuff in the shade to clear out.

Powered by ice cream.
    305 is open bottom to top. The bottom of Smith Ravine also looked open, but hard tell how far. Mostly tacky, but no real bad mud. A few trees down and stream crossings.

Anyone been out to Granite Basin lately?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I heard the same about 305. Rode in Granite Basin today, was ok, but nothing to write home about. Death mud in a few areas, I was able to stay mostly clear except for one spot, but I know what trails to ride there for the most part to stay clear. Mint Wash was flowing like crazy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prescott conditions ????-bw-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Man it took me a second to figure out where your tire was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I.

Whoa, that's an optical illusion "keeper" right there. At first look, it appears your front tire is is not mounted at all and the fork lowers are stuck in the mud. That's a weird picture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thought I'd toss in some March 13 updates:

Everything above and around Thumb Butte is too wet to ride or snow covered. Most of the trails north of Thumb Butte (White Rock, 316, etc) are rough but 80% dry with a few sloppy sections, but clear. Longs Canyon is still hosed from what I've heard.

Emmanual Pines was soft but clear with a few wet sections. I stopped by 396 and it was way to wet to ride, not that a few bone-heads haven't done their best to screw it up.

Anyone heard anything about Granite Basin or 305?

The Whiskey course is not even close to rideable. It'll be 3 weeks before it's possible to even pass through that course.
    Last edited by Roverbiker; 03-13-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    Thought I'd toss in some March 13 updates:

Everything above and around Thumb Butte is too wet to ride or snow covered. Most of the trails north of Thumb Butte (White Spar, 316, etc) are rough but 80% dry with a few sloppy sections, but clear. Longs Canyon is still hosed from what I've heard.

Emmanual Pines was soft but clear with a few wet sections. I stopped by 396 and it was way to wet to ride, not that a few bone-heads haven't done their best to screw it up.

Anyone heard anything about Granite Basin or 305?

The Whiskey course is not even close to rideable. It'll be 3 weeks before it's possible to even pass through that course.
    I rode Granite Basin the other day, and some friends rode 305. 305 WAS clear before the last little round of snow, and since we didn't get much, I'd imagine it's clear now or will be fine in a day or two.

Granite was it's usual wet-self. Some areas fine, some areas death-mud. Know where it is and you'll have a good ride. 349 is clear, except for the short section from the horst-area to the road, which is always muddy. 345 was clear, and apart from pretty high water levels, I'm sure it's still fine. I'd stay off of 347/341 as usual. You can have a pretty decent ride out there if you know what to ride. I'd imagine with a few days of sun 347 and other muddy sections will rapidly get better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am familiar with the whiskey coarse,but have never ridden the mbaa coarse,is that in the list of trails you guys are talking about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool
    I am familiar with the whiskey coarse,but have never ridden the mbaa coarse,is that in the list of trails you guys are talking about.
    No. Few in town ever ride the local MBAA course, not even to race it. Blah.

Elitest thrill junkie
    305 is great, not muddy, primo. Because it drains well.

oh Lucky me
    comin up this weekend. i have no clue where to ride...any thoughts?
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just finished riding the 305. Great shape. There were several streams to cross, that was cool. Anyone have an idea how till the dry up?

oh Lucky me
    Jayem / rockyrunner99, where is the TH for 305? or best place to start @? looking for a Sat PM or Sun AM ride up there,...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Exodus, we are doing a 305/Salida Gulch on Sat. morning 9:00ish-10:00ish if you can make it then. Best place to park is behind the China Buffet (behind petsmart/costco) and ride up Walker Rd about 1/2 mile to the parking area for Trail 62/305(you can park there but costs $5.00). Trailhead for 305 is just on the left side when you pull in. You will cross Walker Rd. 1 more time and several campground roads, just look for the trail markers you can't miss it.
    Salida Gulch trail is a new one and harder to explain, your better off riding with someone who knows it...pm me if you can make it Sat.

mtbr member
    Up 37 to 40 is dry. 40 has some snow spots and moto is dry all the way back to 37. WooHoo.
    SHITBIRD

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    305 is in awesome shape... just rode it this evening. Mega tacky, no mud, several small water crossings, but no biggie.
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

oh Lucky me
    going29az, thanks for the invite!!! i would def attend but i already have a previous engagement on Sat morn. (get to build a shed, YEY me! lol) looking for an early afternoon (2-3-4 ish) on Saturday or a Sun mornin (8-9 ish).

thanks though

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    going29az, thanks for the invite!!! i would def attend but i already have a previous engagement on Sat morn. (get to build a shed, YEY me! lol) looking for an early afternoon (2-3-4 ish) on Saturday or a Sun mornin (8-9 ish).

thanks though
    No Problem, if your schedule changes give me a shout. There may be some other peeps riding 305 on sunday.

I am Walt
    Can't make this Sunday, but will likely shoot for the 27th or 28th to get me some 305 action (before the Whiskey pre-ride on 4/3, and the Monstercross on 4/10...did I say I like Preskitt riding...?). What about Smith Ravine (is that right? - after you top out on 305 and cross the road to that other trail - is that Smith Ravine?); is that rideable? That all makes for a good, long out-and-back...
    Last edited by waltaz; 03-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Can't make this Sunday, but will likely shoot for the 27th or 28th to get me some 305 action (before the Whiskey pre-ride on 4/3, and the Monstercross on 4/10...did I say I like Preskitt riding...?). What about Smith Ravine (is that right? - after you top out on 305 and cross the road to that other trail - is that Smith Ravine?); is that rideable? That all makes for a good, long out-and-back...

And, of course, Casa Bonita and a burrito afterwards...
    Smith Ravine, not right now. There's a good deal of snow up there. It's melting fast, but at least 3' of snow halfway up early last week before a couple storms. I'd imagine even more at the top. Maybe in this sun it won't take long, but at the top of 305 (the last few days) I could look up Smith Ravine and still see a good deal of snow on that side of the mountain up there.

Maybe in a week (aroudn the 27th) it will be getting close, I'd imagine the stuff will melt fast in the sun.

oh Lucky me
    ohh...smith ravine (297 right)? that is the devils hill...atleast going up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I did a little bit of the 297 the other day. About a mile in, where it turns left and is on the north side of the mountain. There was about a foot of snow. I turned around there. There were several trees down up there maybe 8-10 in that one mile. Just before i got back to the parking lot for smith ravine, my tire blew. I put my spare tube in and put just enough pressure in it to ride down the road back to my car. Was still a good ride though. My first time riding at much elevation in a while, I could tell!

oh Lucky me
    RR99, isnt that a b!tch....im from PHX so everytime im up visiting my folks in Dewey, when i bring my bike...its brutal!!! i guess im not as fortunate as those who have ironman lungs and can ride any elevation with minimal impact.

thanks for the report!

mtbr member
    396 is fine to ride all the way up to Senator HWY. A few down trees but no biggie.
    Who Dares Wins

mtbr member

Camping

I'm going to be down there from Flag on Friday and Saturday visiting Embry-Riddle... Is any place dry enough to camp? If so, any recommendations? And is it worth it to bring the bike if I have to deal with keeping it locked in my Xterra?
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    As stated above, 396 is dry all the way save for a couple wet crossings, two of which can be a foot deep if they're letting water spill off Goldwater dam. I counted 4 downed trees with two more on 373 and 374.

Trail 393 (first section of the Whiskey Off Road course) is not really ride worthy yet. It's roughly 30% snow covered and there are 5 trees down. I cleared 5 small trees, but it's still a mess. Most noticeably, the phone line over 393 fell and is now 3' off the trail.

The rest of the Whiskey course across Copper Basin is snowed over.

Elitest thrill junkie
    305 is dry, there is some water in the crossings, but now it's down and you don't have to get your feet wet. One of the trees on the trail was cut, but there are still 2 trees down on the upper part of the trail.

I also rode pretty much all Granite Basin the on Sat. No bad death-mud, some real short mud sections on 347 as expected, as well as the equestrian trail-damage, but it's dry enough that any mud is isolated to a 5 foot section or so. Mostly dry in GB, but the stream crossings on 345 are still pretty deep, pretty hard to cross (walking) and not get your feet wet. Trail 40 is mostly ridable, but there's a section where there's a few feet of snow on the trail, rapidly melting. It doesn't help that someone rode their horse up there as well. The "technical" section of 40 where there are the rocks on the steep short section is worse from erosion. Can't wait till the snow is gone to rip at full speed. No trees down in GB that I am aware of.