mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Prescott Area riding this week anyone? April 29 - May 2

Looking to hook up and ride some local Prescott trails. I come up a couple times a year from San Diego. Thought I should bring my bike this time. I wish I could've made it last weekend for the Whiskey, but no luck. I ride all of the socal stuff and am in pretty good shape. I don't race, but ride to stay in shape. I used to ride mountain bikes dirtbikes all over prescott about 15-20 years ago, but don't remember any trails. Actually, I bought my first mtb from Steve @ High Gear Bike Shop back in 94. It was a Bridgestone MB S and I still have it , although I won't be bringing it with me.

Anyway, I ride a Turner Flux (4 inches) and would like to hit any and all trails with someone. You can pm me or email steven@jetaeronautical.com. or call

I'm available Wed, Thur, Frid, Sunday.

Steven Scates
    951-837-0227

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I'll be doing some riding during that time. There's the thursday-evening rides as well, but if you want to spend more time on the trail there might be other options. I don't have any exact dates or loops in mind yet, but maybe in a few days.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'd be good with a couple hour ride and/or an all day ride one day. I don't have any stuff to ride at night though(lights, etc). Don't know if that's what you were talking about with the evening ride. Let me know what your plans are and I'll make it work. I'll be staying at the point of rocks campground and will have my truck, so I can get anywhere to ride. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thursday night rides are only called that "night rides". They leave 5:30pm-ish from Spur Cross campground, riding 396 up & backdown Feldmire. It's about 1:30-1:45 ride time, so your back to the cars before dark. Good pace and good group!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Alright, I'll plan on it on Thursday evening. I'm assuming that is Steve's ride from High Gear? I just saw he does the Thurs evening rides on high gear's website. I'm open for any day rides too. I have a pretty flexible schedule while I'm in town.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I haven't seen Steve on these rides. This is put on by Raven Single Track, a couple fast dudes on Spot SS's!

Everyone has a good time, and back in time to keep the wives happy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Cool, I'll be there. Spur Cross campground? I'll look it up.

banned
    Sep 2005
    We are driving into Sedona tomorrow morning (meeting at the TH around 9am). Your welcome to ride their World Class ST (right, Jayem?) with us.

Master Gardener
    It's actually White Spar Campground, which is where the Schoolhouse Gulch Road trailhead is (shouldn't it be a "roadhead" if it isn't a trail? LOL). Head out 89A from downtown... it's about 2 miles I think.

We have been doing different loops, but all of them are short-ish. 90 minutes or so. I think we may try a portion of the Prescott Blue Ribbon race course this week.

See ya there!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Velo for the correction on the name of the campground! Didn't want to send a guest to wrong location. Hope to see ya thurs!

Master Gardener
    He would find it regardless... small town.

I'll be there... even though I'm still a little sore from Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    He would find it regardless... small town.

I'll be there... even though I'm still a little sore from Saturday.

Well I'm NOT sore because I didn't ride Saturday. Damn economy and pt jobs

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Well I'm NOT sore because I didn't ride Saturday. Damn economy and pt jobs
    I was in the same boat... until Enel offered to sponsor me. Best darn surgeon in all of Prescott! Spread the word!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll be riding tomorrow before 1300 (when I have to fly). Would you be interested in starting ~8am?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    I was in the same boat... until Enel offered to sponsor me. Best darn surgeon in all of Prescott! Spread the word!

Nice Job Enel I always heard your a nice guy

NedwannaB

Page Mr. SHU........

Quote Originally Posted by fltplan
    Looking to hook up and ride some local Prescott trails. I come up a couple times a year from San Diego. Thought I should bring my bike this time. I wish I could've made it last weekend for the Whiskey, but no luck. I ride all of the socal stuff and am in pretty good shape. I don't race, but ride to stay in shape. I used to ride mountain bikes dirtbikes all over prescott about 15-20 years ago, but don't remember any trails. Actually, I bought my first mtb from Steve @ High Gear Bike Shop back in 94. It was a Bridgestone MB S and I still have it , although I won't be bringing it with me.

Anyway, I ride a Turner Flux (4 inches) and would like to hit any and all trails with someone. You can pm me or email steven@jetaeronautical.com. or call

I'm available Wed, Thur, Frid, Sunday.

Steven Scates
    951-837-0227
    He may be on a 4 day and be able to get a ride in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    We are driving into Sedona tomorrow morning (meeting at the TH around 9am). Your welcome to ride their World Class ST (right, Jayem?) with us.

Just got into prescott this evening. Eight hour drive from San Diego. Can't do sedona, but I appreciate the offer. I will hook up on that thursday evening ride and if someone has a sunday ride I can grab, I'll do that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I'll be riding tomorrow before 1300 (when I have to fly). Would you be interested in starting ~8am?

Ah, I can't ride in the am Wednesday. I have to move our rv from one spot to the next. We came in a day early, so our reserved spot's not available and had to get into another one temp. Where you flying?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ah, I can't ride in the am Wednesday. I have to move our rv from one spot to the next. We came in a day early, so our reserved spot's not available and had to get into another one temp. Where you flying?
    That's fine. Right now I'm a little less certain that I'll ride tomorrow AM, but if I can I will. I fly for ERAU, as a senior instructor/check instructor. My schedule is usually pretty variable as a result. There's a slight chance I might ride PM tomorrow, around 5, but I'm not holding out right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That's fine. Right now I'm a little less certain that I'll ride tomorrow AM, but if I can I will. I fly for ERAU, as a senior instructor/check instructor. My schedule is usually pretty variable as a result. There's a slight chance I might ride PM tomorrow, around 5, but I'm not holding out right now.

I could definitely do an afternoon or evening ride. Give me a call. I'm up here for ERAU's graduation, so we have something in common. I will be in and out tomorrow, if you want to ride, give me a call.

951-837-0227

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Looks like I'll see you guys Thursday evening. Friday is the motorcycle @ Camp Wood. Looking for a good ride on Sunday. Was thinking of the 305 from Costco and joining it with something else out that way. If anyone wants to join me or has something better to do, let me know.

Got a map from Steve @ HIgh Gear. Pretty good map, just the City of Prescott one.

Jayem, did you call today from a 636 area code? Missed the call and didn't call back.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Actually, I have to pull out of riding for a little while. Sorry. You should have fun tomorrow.

J

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So we all met at the trailhead for 396 earlier tonite. What a great ride. Quite a few people, I think I counted 20+. It was nice meeting you guys, Jeff, Rick, Rob, Greg, Scott. Wish I could do that every week. A few single speed 29ers. Some of those climbs looked like knee killers on a 29. I was happy I had the gears.

I will be out riding 305 or Granite Basin on Sunday. If anyone wants to hook up on Sunday, just let me know. Anyway, thanks for letting me tag along and I'll see all you guys back up here in October.
    Steven

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So we all met at the trailhead for 396 earlier tonite. What a great ride. Quite a few people, I think I counted 20+. It was nice meeting you guys, Jeff, Rick, Rob, Greg, Scott. Wish I could do that every week. A few single speed 29ers. Some of those climbs looked like knee killers on a 29. I was happy I had the gears.

I will be out riding 305 or Granite Basin on Sunday. If anyone wants to hook up on Sunday, just let me know. Anyway, thanks for letting me tag along and I'll see all you guys back up here in October.
    Steven
    Hey Steven,

Glad your able to make it out, it was great to meet you. Yeah, there was a bunch of peeps on the ride tonight...the more the merrier! I gotta work this weekend so I can't ride, but enjoy. If you can try and ride both the 305 and GB. They are both so different but equally fun

Give us a shout next time you roll in to P-Town.

Rick

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008

That was a blast!

What a great ride! I can honestly say that was the most fun I've had on the bike in quite a while... that "Twist and shout" trail was the icing on the cake!!

It was great riding with you (and the 20+ others ) and hopefully we will see you again before the weekend is over. I am going to try and ride on Sunday afternoon (wife permitting of course). I'll keep an eye on the board here and I'll post up if I'm able to make it.

Jason

Master Gardener
    That was a great ride... several new faces. Let's do it again next week!

Bummed that I had to miss the pizza afterward, but such is the life of Daddy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Actually, I have to pull out of riding for a little while. Sorry. You should have fun tomorrow.

J

You okay???

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    You okay???
    Recovering from an upper-respitory infection. Rode up feldmire and down 396 this evening, so I'm getting better, but I'm not 100% yet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool. Respiratory infections suck...i used to get them all the time in Pheeenix. None up here. Good luck.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Recovering from an upper-respitory infection. Rode up feldmire and down 396 this evening, so I'm getting better, but I'm not 100% yet.

bummer...hope you feel better soon.

I'm off the bike as well...bit of a crash on 396 Thursday before the Whiskey....got some ribs and the sternum Ouch! this sucks
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Sunday am 305 loop - which direction?

Hey guys, I'm heading out on 305 Sunday am. I want to make the ride a little longer than just the out and back. Which direction should I go if I want to make the loop? Take 305 first then cross walker road to 297 or go 62 from the parking area to 9854,299. Also, which trail connects directly to the top of 305? My map is missing this link. Thanks. I was planninig on 8-12 tomorrow. Does 4 hours sound about right? Thanks and if anyone wants to join, let me know.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hey guys, I'm heading out on 305 Sunday am. I want to make the ride a little longer than just the out and back. Which direction should I go if I want to make the loop? Take 305 first then cross walker road to 297 or go 62 from the parking area to 9854,299. Also, which trail connects directly to the top of 305? My map is missing this link. Thanks. I was planninig on 8-12 tomorrow. Does 4 hours sound about right? Thanks and if anyone wants to join, let me know.
    62 in either direction is only for the hardiest of souls. It's loose, steep, not much for "singletrack". I don't enjoy it in any direction. I do make it part of a loop, and the one good thing about the loop is that it gets better the further you go.

The "big loop" is to go up trail 62 to where it joins with 9854. Make a right here. It's impossible to miss this. Taking a left is a fun whoop-dee-whoop downhill known as Seven Mile Gulch (it's not 7 miles though) and it leads back to trail 305.

Realise that this loop gets less-intensive the further you go, but going up 62 is a b*tch. Several of us have actually made it up all the climbs, which will seem flat out impossible if you see em

Continue on 9854 to trail 299, and at this junction take a left. Going right takes you down to Senator Highway.

Most of this is "doubletrack", not really singletrack and not really wide enough for anything other than ATVs.

Continue to Spruce Mtn Road, take a left and climb up to trail 297, which will be on your left.

297 is fun, and after two pretty steep climb-areas it's all downhill to Walker Road and the top of trail 305.

I think we usually do this loop in anywhere from 3-4hrs, count on 4hrs if you're pretty fit.

The other (good) option is to do 305 to the end, and then go up 297 from there. Make it an out-and-back. Doing the "big loop" as described above includes a lot of stuff that isn't singletrack and is just tortourous (62).

We're also doing a ride tomorrow where we're going to ride something like half of the whiskey-course starting up Copper Basin Road near Camp Pearstien at 10-1030. Let me know if you're interested in that. I'm 70% sure I'll make it, but I have other friends that will be on the ride.

Here's where the real trailmaps are; http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for all of the info. I guess I'll do the 305 297 and back. I dont' need anything torturous tomorrow. I need to get at it pretty early, so I can get back and entertain the wife for our last full day up here. I appreciate the offer to go with you guys, but I'll have to pass.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    bummer...hope you feel better soon.

I'm off the bike as well...bit of a crash on 396 Thursday before the Whiskey....got some ribs and the sternum Ouch! this sucks
    Alright, I'm prepared to admit it now... perhaps you do need to invest in some padding... er, I mean "armor."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Back in San Diego now, Monday evening. So, Sunday I headed out on the 305, was feeling good at the top non-stop. Kept going on 297. About 3/4 way through, I had to walk a couple sections towards the end. I was pretty tired at the top of that. Instead of going back down, which would have been fun and easy, I decided to catch 299 & 9854(???) back down to Walker road. I dont' think I hit 62, but that 9854 or whatever it's called had some rocky downhills, all doubletrack. I saw a group of four mountain bikers coming up that stuff. Ouch. Now I know what you guys meant about the torturous uphills and I never even saw 62. It took me three hours to do the loop back to the parking spot at the trailhead for 305 & 62. Good stuff. I really don't thrive on technical stuff and just like to get in better shape all the time. These trails were great for that and epic by my local standards. I'll be back in October and plan on being a regular on all your rides in a few years from now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Back in San Diego now, Monday evening. So, Sunday I headed out on the 305, was feeling good at the top non-stop. Kept going on 297. About 3/4 way through, I had to walk a couple sections towards the end. I was pretty tired at the top of that. Instead of going back down, which would have been fun and easy, I decided to catch 299 & 9854(???) back down to Walker road. I dont' think I hit 62, but that 9854 or whatever it's called had some rocky downhills, all doubletrack. I saw a group of four mountain bikers coming up that stuff. Ouch. Now I know what you guys meant about the torturous uphills and I never even saw 62. It took me three hours to do the loop back to the parking spot at the trailhead for 305 & 62. Good stuff. I really don't thrive on technical stuff and just like to get in better shape all the time. These trails were great for that and epic by my local standards. I'll be back in October and plan on being a regular on all your rides in a few years from now.
    Going down 9854 (seven mile gulch) on my DH or AM bike is an absolute blast, but getting there sucks.

When I want to work on my climbing-game and get some payoff (on a short ride) I just go up 62 to 9854 and head downhill and back on 305. If you don't have a lot of time it's a good way to get a good strain in and still have some downhill fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0