Thread: PPPunisher 2018

mtbr member

PPPunisher 2018

Who's in for this on Saturday?

I'm going to give the A route another go. Had to bail last year due to knee pain.

Also, I have the full week off and will be around the area riding. I may head to Tucson for a couple days and then up through Phx during the week.

I'd like to do one or two other big rides - Lemmon drop if anyone is interested. Maybe BCT or the Pleasantville loop. If anything else is going on, post up!

One of the forecasts I look at shows some rain Thanksgiving Thurs through that weekend so will have to see how that turns out as well.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Planning on the A route as well, see you there!! Register if you haven't done so.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Godspeed gents. I'm nowhere close to being able to pull that off right now in my estimation - plus scheduled stuff prevents me from getting out there anyway that weekend. Maybe an ITT in the next month or two...

I WANT to do the A route, but need another month of riding to be ready for that. A manís got to know his limitations.

Still deciding between B or C.

So, we should expect the winds to start kicking up on Friday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Who's in for this on Saturday?

I'm going to give the A route another go. Had to bail last year due to knee pain.

Also, I have the full week off and will be around the area riding. I may head to Tucson for a couple days and then up through Phx during the week.

I'd like to do one or two other big rides - Lemmon drop if anyone is interested. Maybe BCT or the Pleasantville loop. If anything else is going on, post up!

One of the forecasts I look at shows some rain Thanksgiving Thurs through that weekend so will have to see how that turns out as well.
    Not doing the PPP this year due to a conflict with an awesome weekend in Sedona, but for Thanksgiving weekend me and a couple friends are planning to camp out at the AZT trailhead that is just north of the Kelvin bridge crossing and do a bunch of rides in that area (PP to Kelvin, Ripsey, etc..).

Feel free to drop by for a beer and some miles on the AZT if you're in the area

Ahhh the pain....
    A loop...whoof. I guess I'm soft AF in my old age...12 hours of suffering on beat up trails doesn't seem appealing to me anymore.
    Call me a pu$$y.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    A loop...whoof. I guess I'm soft AF in my old age...12 hours of suffering on beat up trails doesn't seem appealing to me anymore.
    Call me a pu$$y.
    Haha 12 hours! I'm laughing because that's totally attainable for you. That's a 15 hour day for me minimum!!! Probably an overnighter in my current state. I guess you could always head out there with an ebike though! Just don't dunk it in the river when you have to cross... Totally legit COME AT ME BRO

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Haha 12 hours! I'm laughing because that's totally attainable for you. That's a 15 hour day for me minimum!!! Probably an overnighter in my current state. I guess you could always head out there with an ebike though! Just don't dunk it in the river when you have to cross... Totally legit COME AT ME BRO
    ^^^on the floor laughing! come on BRO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    I WANT to do the A route, but need another month of riding to be ready for that. A manís got to know his limitations.
    I just got cleared to ride in Sept after knee surgery and still don't have many miles myself. So no excuses from any of you! Isn't the A route all hike-a-bike anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    Not doing the PPP this year due to a conflict with an awesome weekend in Sedona, but for Thanksgiving weekend me and a couple friends are planning to camp out at the AZT trailhead that is just north of the Kelvin bridge crossing and do a bunch of rides in that area (PP to Kelvin, Ripsey, etc..).

Feel free to drop by for a beer and some miles on the AZT if you're in the area
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Plan was to head to Tucson and then work my way north but the forecast might keep me further south in the desert. Will have to see how it shapes up into the weekend.

I have been wanting to spend a day or two exploring Area52 as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I have been wanting to spend a day or two exploring Area52 as well.
    Oh man, me too, but my friends that I'll be camping/riding with next weekend would NOT survive that adventure..

Let me know if you're going to swing by by Friday morning, because, as memory serves, the reception at camp is going to be spotty.

mtbr member
    Haven't been to the Picketpost TH since the AZT300 back in 2013, so definitely looking forward to returning.

Planning on rolling the B route.

Anyone know if the B route this year is going to drop the AZT from Montana Mtn or is it going to continue on down FR 650? I only ask because the GPX on the AES website shows the B route dropping FR 650 while the GPX on Trailforks shows it dropping the AZT.

A buddy and I will be camping at the Picketpost TH on Friday night to avoid making the 2.5 hour drive down on Saturday morning.

Ahhh the pain....
    Mark, pretty sure the route on the AES website is correct. The trail dropping off MM apparently is really trashed. Now, that being said, I'd venture a guess that the trail through Reavis Canyon (lower down) is no party at all...probably even gone since it follows the creekbed for a bit and the summer rains had to have taken its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Mark, pretty sure the route on the AES website is correct. The trail dropping off MM apparently is really trashed. Now, that being said, I'd venture a guess that the trail through Reavis Canyon (lower down) is no party at all...probably even gone since it follows the creekbed for a bit and the summer rains had to have taken its toll.
    Which is what makes this not MBAA. Ray, you just need the right type of bike. 😃

Ahhh the pain....
    I need an FS e-bike. Exercise is overrated anyway and better suited for those young kids. Hell, I'm too busy yelling at people to stay off my lawn and taking naps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bro

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Right on Mark!! FYI, camping isn't 'allowed' at the trailhead. There are plenty of spaces off the dirt road entry to the trailhead. Picketpost TH now has a camp host as of last year. If you get there early enough today, maybe ask them to leave the gate unlocked for us early arrivals!!

As for the B route, yes, it is going to stay on 650 over the top of Montana Mtn. again this year. I didn't have a chance to get out there for a pre-ride, trim session. Feel free to drop down the AZT though, I know how much you like a challenge!! I'll give you an hour time bonus!! (may not be worth it!! Haha)

A Route riders, the Gila River flow is currently at 6.66 CFS, not evil at all. Quite low actually. Weather jinx: Forecasted winds for Saturday in Superior?? 7 mph. Say it isn't so.

Ray, if I'm reading between the lines I'd think you're saying SS'ing is too tough for you now. Perhaps that FS geared rig is your stepping stone to your e-bike years ahead. Based on you Kentucky Camp time, you're just being a pu$$y.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Weather jinx: Forecasted winds for Saturday in Superior?? 7 mph. Say it isn't so.
    There's a zero missing there... 70mph at the top of Montana Mtn.

climbing Montana Mountain without a 40mph headwind feels like cheating. But I'll take it.

mtbr member
    Right on Mark!! FYI, camping isn't 'allowed' at the trailhead. There are plenty of spaces off the dirt road entry to the trailhead. Picketpost TH now has a camp host as of last year. If you get there early enough today, maybe ask them to leave the gate unlocked for us early arrivals!!
    Thanks for the info man. Guess a couple of things have changed in the past five years. If we get there early enough, I'll definitely see if I can get them to leave the gate unlocked for the A group. No telling what time we'll arrive though.

As for the B route, yes, it is going to stay on 650 over the top of Montana Mtn. again this year. I didn't have a chance to get out there for a pre-ride, trim session. Feel free to drop down the AZT though, I know how much you like a challenge!! I'll give you an hour time bonus!! (may not be worth it!! Haha)
    I think I'll stick to the B route and drop FR 650. I cherish my skin too much.

mtbr member
    I looked around for contact info for the trailhead host and couldn't find any. I'll just park outside where I sometimes camp and ride in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    In for the B route. I will try to start earlier, if allowed, or else it will get dark on me (no light ). Also avoiding the AZT descent from Montana Mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    In for the B route. I will try to start earlier, if allowed, or else it will get dark on me (no light ). Also avoiding the AZT descent from Montana Mountain.
    What are you riding the rest of the weekend or week? I'll be finishing in the dark for sure ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I DNF'd. When I made it to the trail to Superior, I stayed on the AZT and rode that back to the trailhead. It would have gotten dark if I continued. My batteries were also running out on both my phone with Trailforks app and my GPS with the route .gpx. A bit disappointed I had to scratch, but I made the right call. The route was way too much road for my liking, but I knew that going in. Also, that section of the AZT (from the Rd 650 xing to Picketpost) wasn't very good. It was up and down, up and down with no sustained downhill.

Results are up
    https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/...isher-results/

Pretty amazing that more riders did the A route than the B - and they all finished. Well done!

It was really a glorious day to be out riding. Montana Mountain is still a grind, but the views from up there make it worth doing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Results are up
    https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/...isher-results/

Pretty amazing that more riders did the A route than the B - and they all finished. Well done!

It was really a glorious day to be out riding. Montana Mountain is still a grind, but the views from up there make it worth doing.
    Wow. Kurt's time is freaking stupid. Anyone who finishes that thing without having to put lights on at night is nuts, but to be finishing in time for a late lunch is beyond ridiculous. Wow - congrats on all who took on any of those rides.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Well, fitness is still a work in progress, but I stuck with it and got it done. Didn't feel too bad out there, just walked more than I should have. Trail had some noticeable storm damage in predictable locations. I didn't think the catclaw was much of an issue...but it will be soon if not mitigated. Kurt must've ducked in the trees down at Cochran, waited for me to pass, then cut the lower loop to finish at 2:47!! Dude is superhuman on a bike. Sub-10 hours on that route is hard to wrap my head around. Pretty cool that all the A riders finished.
    PPPunisher 2018-img_20181117_070329.jpg
    Early rays over Picketpost Mtn.

PPPunisher 2018-img_20181117_092459.jpg
    Rideable Gila River crossing!!

PPPunisher 2018-img_20181117_094939.jpg
    Coke Ovens near Cochran.

PPPunisher 2018-img_20181117_125655.jpg
    Poppy sightings...in November?!?

PPPunisher 2018-img_20181117_153628.jpg
    Evan carving a corner near the White Canyon Wilderness

PPPunisher 2018-img_20181117_174610.jpg
    Climbing away from the Gila in waning light.
    My Two Schillingsworth