Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242

    PPL close to LBS's/ Clipless opinions

    Looking to make the switch to clipless. I will have to buy pedals and shoes(spd style). I want to spend $50-$60+ on pedals and cheap on shoes. I was looking to see if any of you lived close to any bike shops up there and can do some clearance shopping for me. Looking for a size 44 ( I wear between 10-11 depending brands) but all 44 fit great and some 45's decent(i tried on alot of brands localy for mtb shoes) I can get pearl izumi quest shoes for $45. I have a buddy who found some shoes(dont remember brand) for $9 but wrong size. color/year/brand I could care less except for 2-3(preferably 3) velcro strips as they fit best. I want to test to see If I will like them and can upgrade later. Hoping to be at or under $80 for both. I have crank brothers candy pedals that are brand new but have done alot of research and since they dont have tension adjustments they are very unpredictable as far as unclipping and I dont want to risk getting hurt over them... If you are willing to help let me know.
    Last edited by EPDP99; 08-14-2009 at 08:56 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    Looking to make the switch to clipless. I will have to buy pedals and shoes(spd style). I want to spend $50-$60+ on pedals and cheap on shoes. I was looking to see if any of you lived close to any bike shops up there and can do some clearance shopping for me. Looking for a size 44 ( I wear between 10-11 depending brands) but all 44 fit great and some 45's decent(i tried on alot of brands localy for mtb shoes) I can get pearl izumi quest shoes for $45. I have a buddy who found some shoes(dont remember brand) for $9 but wrong size. color/year/brand I could care less except for 2-3(preferably 3) velcro strips as they fit best. I want to test to see If I will like them and can upgrade later. Hoping to be at or under $80 for both. I have crank brothers candy pedals that are brand new but have done alot of research and since they dont have tension adjustments they are very unpredictable as far as unclipping and I dont want to risk getting hurt over them... If you are willing to help let me know.
    And you are?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  3. #3
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    pricepoint.
    they have cheap shoes and pedals in combo. they will be heavy and probably not last, but it will be a good way to see what you like.

    saving money long term on pedals and shoes will leave you disappointed.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  4. #4
    I'm with stupid -------->
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    I have crank brothers candy pedals that are brand new but have done alot of research and since they dont have tension adjustments they are very unpredictable as far as unclipping and I dont want to risk getting hurt over them...
    I don't personally own a pair (but they will be the next ones I buy) but I haven't heard this before. You might want check on that and see if you could spend the full 80 on shoes instead; cheap shoes suck.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    I have crank brothers candy pedals that are brand new but have done alot of research and since they dont have tension adjustments they are very unpredictable as far as unclipping and I dont want to risk getting hurt over them...

    I think you'll be fine. I started with Shimano SPD's but switched to the Candy's a week later. They don't have tension adjustment, but you can flip the cleat to get a more friendly release. I've been in a ton on situations where I had to get out of my cleats fast and they gave me no problems.

  6. #6
    oh Lucky me
    Reputation: Exodus11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    705
    yeah ive got candy's too and getting out of them is fine. i like DKeeney have had my share on instances that ive needed to get out like FAST. in reality...youll get out of them if you need to....twisting your foot just becomes second nature and its super simple!
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    And you are?
    Sorry,
    I'm Eric. I live down in Tucson and know that there are alot more options up in Phoenix for this kind of stuff. I am a local Firefighter. Looking to do the TOWM and wanted to get them and have a little getting used to/ training before I do that race. Typically ride 7-18 miles when I go out on my flats and feel that the clipless might benifit me. I used to BMX and dirt jump so I alsways ran flats and once I got my MTB I diidnt even think of going clipless and just bought some nice flats/platforms to put on it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    My apologies. They are not the CANDY but the cranck brother SMARTY. I have been looking all around down here in Tucson for shoes/pedals. Trying to buy more "local" if possible but I am contemplating on getting a combo set from price point. I know they are slightly out of my price range I was looking to spend total but I think I will be better in the long run spending the addition $25 for this setup. Opinions on this setup?
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/165...-M3-Pedals.htm

  9. #9
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    My apologies. They are not the CANDY but the cranck brother SMARTY. I have been looking all around down here in Tucson for shoes/pedals. Trying to buy more "local" if possible but I am contemplating on getting a combo set from price point. I know they are slightly out of my price range I was looking to spend total but I think I will be better in the long run spending the addition $25 for this setup. Opinions on this setup?
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/165...-M3-Pedals.htm
    I'm not a fan of buckles on mtb shoes, ymmv. the Element from sette is a decent shoe for the price - mine is 2.5 yrs old and still doing well. The Sette shoes traditionally ran a little big - call and ask.

    the wellgo pedals are spd, not crank bros. for xc I find spd ok but will get Times on my next set. Crank bros, imo, get destroyed in AZ.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: berzerker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    the wellgo pedals are spd, not crank bros. for xc I find spd ok but will get Times on my next set. Crank bros, imo, get destroyed in AZ.
    second the Time peds. Destroyed a spindle first ride on the Mallet. switched to time's DH pedal, plenty of float and lotsa platform.

  11. #11
    oh Lucky me
    Reputation: Exodus11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    705
    ive heard that alot about the mallet's...i guess ill re-think those going on my bike...
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

  12. #12
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,251
    I've been on my Time ATAC's for the better part of my learning curve....and they have yet to break....that's roughly a year on them, banging into stuff alot. Plus they are knee friendly relative to spd's and they release much easier than spd's....something which will be important to you if you are a 1st time clipless user.




  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    whats the difference between the SPD's and the other style? And why no a fan of buckles? when I tried velcro vs buckles the buckles seem to be better at snugging up...
    price point is also running the sale with the time atac aluminum but with the sette element shoes:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/135...ium-Pedals.htm
    VS
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/132...M-3-Pedals.htm

  14. #14
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,251
    SPD's have less float than ATAC's which allows your knees to move around more -->the way they want to move vs. the way the pedal dictates they move. Some folks prefer the SPD's because of this...but others with knee issues generally gravitate to ATAC's. Performance wise, there is prolly little difference with perhaps a slight edge to SPD's in terms of power transmission?????

    Personally, I found more confidence in technical terrain once I put on the ATAC's after having learned on SPD's simply because I felt I could get out of the ATAC's easier than I could the SPD's.

    Not sure about the buckle issue....although I do notice that if anything catches on my shoes against rocks and what not...it's the buckle....and this was the first thing to break on my first pair of shoes...perhaps this is the issue??????




  15. #15
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    SPD's have less float than ATAC's which allows your knees to move around more -->the way they want to move vs. the way the pedal dictates they move. Some folks prefer the SPD's because of this...but others with knee issues generally gravitate to ATAC's. Performance wise, there is prolly little difference with perhaps a slight edge to SPD's in terms of power transmission?????

    Personally, I found more confidence in technical terrain once I put on the ATAC's after having learned on SPD's simply because I felt I could get out of the ATAC's easier than I could the SPD's.

    Not sure about the buckle issue....although I do notice that if anything catches on my shoes against rocks and what not...it's the buckle....and this was the first thing to break on my first pair of shoes...perhaps this is the issue??????
    speaking only from my opinions, I don't have knee issues with either pedal. I find the spds are easier to come out of and subsequently I pop out a lot on some tech moves. I rarely pop out of my Times. I found SPDs easier to get out of, but switching to Times took about 2 rides til I felt equally comfortable. spds are more complex and harder to clean\maintain.

    I think buckles are one more thing to get destroyed on an mtb, and you usually pay a premium for it. Maybe if you are racing and need the efficiency...love em on my roadie shoes. I have buckles on my pricey Lake shoes for my all-mountain bike and they don't help my feeling in the shoe at all and are constantly getting beat up on that terrain.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    perfect! these are the real life opinions I need. I have been reading tons of reviews and such on here but these things you just dont read about. I think I will look around town some more but am really leaning to the element shoes with atac pedals!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    I can't comment on the shoes, but both seem fine (for me, it's all about the fit). From a pedal perspective, I've ridden both egg beaters and Time, and they are very similar in terms of float, and engaging and getting out. I switched over from egg beaters to candys, as I like more of a platform. The biggest issue with the egg beaters is that if you miss your mark, there is not a lot of wiggleroom to ride in them unclippped. So personally I'd go with the Time.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  19. #19
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,251
    learning from others on this board, stay away from the egg beaters if you are prone to hitting stuff....they break easily according to more than a few folks I know and have read about here. You're prolly better off with the ATAC's even though they're heavier.




  20. #20
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,954
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/186...Mtn-Pedals.htm

    I just bought this set (I reliaze its a bit out of your range), the shoes I hear are not the greatest but a lot of people seem to like the pedals.

    I did look at the Egg Beater set but a lot of people were on the fence on the entry level Egg Beaters. As far as the other set I have no clue.

    pink

  21. #21
    RHRF!
    Reputation: titusbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,278
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    Looking to make the switch to clipless. I will have to buy pedals and shoes(spd style). I want to spend $50-$60+ on pedals and cheap on shoes...
    A very good friend of mine once said that you need to take care of your 3 contact points - hands, a$$, and feet.

    That being said, if I were you, I'd look at the stiffest shoe you can afford, and cheap out on the pedals (reverse your order). A good fitting, stiff platform shoe will allow your feet to remain comfortable on your longest rides.

    I run Shimano carbon soled shoes with Time ATAC (alum.) pedals. The Time's were on sale from PricePoint for $49 bucks. I too have 'banged-the crap' out of them and they seem unaffected by the abuse.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,494
    I run the Forte Carve SPD style pedals from Performance, $30. I've been very happy with them. I have the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Low shoes I found on clearance, very comfortable and still looks like a normal shoe.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    Well I pulled the trigger on the sette element shoes with the time atac pedals. I also purchased a quick release seat post clamp, some gloves and a new floor pump(tired of dragging out the air compressor hose every time I need to add air... We will see how this goes. BTW that pricepoint site is bad news for me(along with other sites) as I keep finding "must have"(want) items. Thanks for the input!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.