mtbr member

The Powerline MTB race

SSPhoenix and I did a race out at Pioneer park in Apache Junction today. It was only 14 miles the course was flat as a pancake with about 100' of singletrack. The race was put on by the AJ Parks and Rec Dept. and it was only $8 to enter.

This was a fantastic event! Even though the course didn't have much to offer in the way of climbs or interesting singletrack, it was fast, and just like any mountain bike course the faster you went, the more technical it got. It was great for a race tune up and everyone was friendly. I got a sweet award in the form of a gold spray painted huffy chainring with a paper circle in the middle with the race logo printed on it for my first place in the open class and it's way cooler than the boring medals I seem to get at most other races. There was no swag, no waiting for results, no protests, no BS.

They said they put this race on twice a year and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good training race and a very relaxed atmosphere.

http://www.ajcity.net/CurrentEvents.aspx?EID=617
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

My other ride is your mom
    I got free pizza and beer at my race today....I did not, however, get a name tag

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I got free pizza and beer at my race today....I did not, however, get a name tag
    I am sorry, I forgot them

mtbr member
    J,

You are my hero. Very interesting race. Just the night before I stumbled upon the site and while I was planning to hit the 4 Peaks, something was telling me I should try it just to get some more race atmosphere under my belt. It was flat alright but none the less, cranking to a sprint pace the entire time not allowing your muscle to rest otherwise on a downhill section, not easy.
    While I could have finished the race an hour later and still take 2nd , Iíll take anything so my wife knows is for a good cause. . Got some bonus points and perhaps a Garmin coming up.

mtbr member
    I go every year. It's a fun race. This fall, hope to see more riders.
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2013 Specialized Epic is epic / Roubaix

No new blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    How will you know it's you when viewing the official photo web site without a name tag?
    "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." - P. Paulsen

Tucson, AZ
    Link did not work. I am in for sure next time. Some info here tho for 2010. I see rates went up a bit

I need to ride out there and might as well make it a race weekend, especially for only $8.

mtbr member
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2013 Specialized Epic is epic / Roubaix

AZ
    banned
    Fall date been set?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Link did not work. I am in for sure next time. Some info here tho for 2010. I see rates went up a bit

I need to ride out there and might as well make it a race weekend, especially for only $8.
    Come on, I'm pretty sure many aren't picking up on your sarcasm.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    This looks like a lot of fun and the price is right! Very cool to see the town putting on a properly permitted event to try to grow mountain biking or awareness of their trails - when the fall date is set get it posted and we can get more people out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBob
    How will you know it's you when viewing the official photo web site without a name tag?
    You don't write your name in your underwear?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just wanted to plug the November version of the Powerline race in Apache Junction. Information is below.

I have done Barn Burner, Whiskey, TOWM, etc. and while those types of races have their place, I wish there were a few more races like this one: cheap, laid back, and a little more kid-friendly. I don't live in AJ, and have never even ridden the course, but I hope they get big support this time around so they can keep it going. Hopefully, it will give some inspiration to the other communities around who could put on the same sort of thing.

See you there.

Apache Junction, AZ - Official Website - Outdoor Programs

2011 Powerline Mountain Bike Race
    SATURDAY, November 5TH - 14& OLDER - HELMETS REQUIRED
    $8 per person / Race Map Event Information

Test your mountain bike skills on this 14 mile flat and fast race course at Prospector Park. The course is primarily hard packed dirt following the power lines with some occasional sand areas. Registration will start at 8am and the race will start at 9am.

For more info. contact Parks & Rec.@ 480-983-2181.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Okay, so who's in? I know it conflicts with the BCT AES ride, but there has got to be somebody who wants "a little taste of the glory!"

K3N
    Certified slacker
    In for sure! And to think, I was bummed earlier today when I realized I'm inable to do the DCBA this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like fun but signed up for 12 Hrs of Fury that day! Look for the next one.

Tucson, AZ
    Wish I could make it this year.

mtbr member
    I'm in!

Members who have read this thread: 0