Addicted to 2 wheels

Power Trail @ Hawes in Jeopardy? - Mesa Public Meeting - Show up

Mesa is thinking about building a 15 ft path on Power Trail, from Park and Ride to a half mile or so from the canal.

This is our best kid and newbie Trail. In the system. Technically the trail there today likely does not exist on paper in Mesa's eyes. Hopefully the current trail can be kept in tact or made better?

Let Show in NUMBERS and voice our opinion and also hear what they have to say.

Ride your bike there, or your car.

No drop, all skill level ride after the meeting. Route will include Power Trail.

Learn more here. Call them, get more info and share what you hear.

https://www.azmag.gov/Documents/BaP_...ion-Packet.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2006
    While I like the idea of the having a dedicated pedestrian pathway here, it is troublesome to realize this will likely be at the expense of a fast/fun connector trail we all use. Speaking of expense, just think of the miles of trail that could be built for $3.8M. Maybe this will lead to trailhead improvements near the canal???

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ironically our state parks just recently funded tearing out this exact type of trail just a few miles up the road a few years ago.

From the Tonto Forest website:
    "Butcher Jones Trail Work
    Date(s): Apr 23, 2015
    Thanks to a grant from Arizona State Parks, work has commenced to naturalize the first 1/8 mile of the Butcher Jones Trail which follows the contour of Saguaro Lake. The trail is being naturalized by removing pavement, railings, benches, interpretive signs and a small foot bridge. The Trail will be closed intermittently on days volunteers and contractors are working on the trail. There is no set work schedule. The construction should be completed by the end of September. Once construction is complete the trail be a natural surface similar to other hiking trails around the area."

I am sure that trail would now be considered unsafe as well by the HOA leadership since it is now in its natural state.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A few of the many reasons why this is a poor use of public funds:

1 - There is good sidewalk that parallels this proposed path on the West side of Power road. This pathway would end exactly where the sidewalk ends.
    2-It does nothing to secure a right away through water district lands to link to the Maricopa trail that is on the other side of the canal. ( note that this same water district land had the fence moved several years ago destroying the existing trail that was there. A new trail now reconstructed by the mountain biking community and is paralleling the new fence closer to Power Road).
    3- This proposed pathway is seen as a loss in access by the current trail users as it will destroy existing trails. The primary users of the social trails on Power Road are mountain bikers. This paved pathway would not be used by the majority of them or the road bikers that use Power Road. Yet they are used as justification for the new pathway.
    4- Environment impact- A 10 Foot pathway will have significant impact on the existing flora and fauna along this desert strip. This will reduce wildlife and vegetation along this greenbelt and reduce it's long term value to the community as a place of refuge from concrete and pavement of the city.
    5- The Premise that this would influence transit to schools / MCC. There is existing sidewalk that services the Red Mountain area. This pathway would provides no new access to these schools.

I am sure there are many more that we can define to come up with a unified message

The meeting is Thursday April 27th at Red Mountain Ranch Elementary from 6-7 PM

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "1 - There is good sidewalk that parallels this proposed path on the West side of Power road. This pathway would end exactly where the sidewalk ends. "

Exactly! The pathway they propose is already there.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I got the following back from the City Bike Manager. All in all it sounds good as they plan to keep the mtb trail intact. Have some other land access issue we might be facing with maricopa on some other trails though.

Shawn,
    I received your phone message email regarding the Red Mountain Shared Use Path and I thought that it maybe a little more thorough and direct to reply to your email with the information that you have requested.

The Red Mountain Shared Use Path has been identified as part of our continual public input and comments from residents during City of Mesa Bicycle and Pedestrian Program event, classes and forums. There are several factors that were evaluated as part of the priority placement of this path within the overall vision of the on and off street bicycle and pedestrian network.

I will go through these one by one to help clarify why the pathway is being designed.

First the bad:

1. The residents in the area have been lobbying for many years now for a shared use pathway that will extend from the park and ride to the north City limit. This path is being requested by the residents not only to gain access to the Tonto National Forest, but also to connect folks with services to the south of the park and ride.

2. The Bureau of Reclamation, a department within the United States Government has been requesting that they City of Mesa and the National Forest Service to help mitigate the issue that they are having with people parking out at the area directly across from the Hawes Trailhead. This illegal parking has occurred with a lot of incidents that have the Bureau concerned with the issue and are attempting to prohibit parking in the area.

3. The Maricopa County Flood Control District has identified illegal trails that border the Las Sendas Community that they are demanding the Las Sendas Community to restore back to their native state and that users cease and desist using those trails as they are on private property owned by Maricopa.

The Good:

1. The Red Mountain Shared Use Path will “NOT” replace of interfere with the existing non-paved mountain bike/hiking trails that you are referring to in your conversation. We are mountain bikers/cyclists/users of the trail and understand the importance of that trail to off road users. We’re wanting to offer access to this area to “ALL” ages and abilities as is identified in the Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Vision Statement. In addition to the recreational purposes of the area, we are also wanting to provide “First Mile/Last Mile” facilities to multi-modal commuters wishing to travel between their homes and transit options that are accessible at the park and ride.

2. The pathway is not a path to nowhere, as you have stated in your message. The Red Mountain Pathway is a piece of the overall Mesa Loop System that is being developed as a multi-modal commuter highway. As you can see in the attached map, the City of Mesa is working to provide a shared use pathway aligned with the entire Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway and Loop 202 Santan Freeway with the Mesa City Limits.

3. In addition to the loop system that is being worked towards, Maricopa County Parks is working on the Maricopa Trail that traverses along the South Canal and Granite Reef Dam. The County will be accessing Hawes towards the northern border of the trail system and continuing over to Usery Park. The Red Mountain Shared Use Path will intersect that trail system out towards the Granite Reef Dam and then turn west along the north bank of the South Canal moving towards Val Vista Rd.

I hope this answers some of the questions that you had and I am still happy to discuss the project with you further if need be.

Thank you for your interest in the project and the overall program here in Mesa.

Be safe out there,

Jim Hash, LCI
    Senior Planner
    Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Manager
    City of Mesa Transportation Department
    APBP Arizona – Co-Chair
    James.hash@mesaaz.gov

mtbr member
    ty for the info

proceed with caution

Great Info

glad to hear they will not be messing with what's already there. I like to ride from the park and ride and so I was following this closely.

I also thought Hawes was in Jeopardy yesterday since I found it smoking. Luckily it was only north of the area and not the area itself. Shots from Mineshaft. Cactus Fire

Power Trail @ Hawes in Jeopardy? - Mesa Public Meeting - Show up-fire1.jpgPower Trail @ Hawes in Jeopardy? - Mesa Public Meeting - Show up-fire2.jpgPower Trail @ Hawes in Jeopardy? - Mesa Public Meeting - Show up-fire3.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good to know it wont effect the existing connector trails. Unfortunate that there is pressure to remove them though from the Flood Control District.

Do they feel that a 2 mile long sidewalk to the trailhead will stop the illegal parking that's happening? Or that creating the pathway, will be the impetus to closing the trailhead parking? For the hikers, I cant see someone taking the pathway for 30 minutes just to get to the trailhead to start their hike. Hard to even call it a trailhead at that point.

Still, at the end of the day: $3.8M for a sidewalk!!! I'm in the wrong business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I don't think I can make the meeting tonight. But it is an odd project.

I can see some benefit to a paved/improved pathway from the park-n-ride to entrance of Las Sendas. There's nothing there but the dirt bike trail now (sidewalk is all on West side of Power, right?), so it would allow an additional way to access the public transportation without driving or "hiking" there.

To go North of that, however, doesn't make a ton of sense. The sidewalk on the West side is nice and runs out pretty much as far North as the proposed new path would go. There is nothing to "access" from the East side (schools, establishments, etc). Nobody planning to "access Tonto National Forest" trails needs a paved path. Why would a hiker or biker not use the dirt trail already there?

Sounds like a Las Sendas stroller path being proposed. Of course those residents like it! Can the city build public parking outside the gated access points to the trails in Las Sendas as a trade-off? Suddenly residents likely not so in favor! Am sure there are more people within the city/valley that would like a nice place to park in order to hike actual desert trails as opposed to anyone who will drive from somewhere just to utilize a 2mi flat paved path next to Power Rd.

It doesn't really impact "my" mountain biking (yet), so on one hand...who cares, build away. But seems a odd use of almost $4M!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Oh...hope dog poopie bag stations are included in the budget! ;-)

mtbr member
    At the meeting they said they are planning a parking area at the north end of the pathway on that same east side of power rd.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Lew= Lewis M? We rode together at GC and Hawes a long time ago. Should have put it together last night.

Here is my quick update from the meeting.

I made it over. The bike path is going to be right next to the road. I don't see it as a drawback to Mtb in any way. Our trail is not even on Mesa property.

The path is part of a bigger long term plan and I support both.

We may have trail threats in that area from the Maricopa Flood Control at some point though. Strangely, Fence Line is in the biggest jeopardy. Also the canal parking. I don't think it makes sense to rock the boat though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the update Suga'