Post your best trail-side bike repair!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Post your best trail-side bike repair!

So yesterday I was riding CDO trail with a couple friends, when, half way through the ride, the freehub on one of their bikes completely gave up the ghost. Normally this would have resulted in pushing the bike for much of the remaining 14 miles of the ride, including the 3 mile climb up Charouleau Gap Road.

Here's where the ingenious fix comes in - and all it took was 8 zip ties:

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-45569159_10218041854503759_5894496396446269440_n.jpg

Yes, it's now a fixed gear, but that's better than a no gear!

mtbr member
    Nice, I guess i better make sure I have 8 zip ties
    GREAT JOB!!

EAT MORE GRIME
    no pics

out doing laps with the gang and one dude blows a tube...ok no sweat
    -gotta patch yes...kit dried up, bummer
    -spare toob someone has, yes, grab it...valve ripped out

no tubes no patch going nowhere.

I just happened to have 16 long zip ties, so we zip tied the tire to the rim in 16 spots
    and sent the zip-tie whip ends in the spoke area, and hot damn he rode 12 more miles and rode out like that.

rim was sorta looking rough at the end of it ...but what matters most is didn't walk out
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 11-05-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How is the CDO holding up? I had a tire sidewall. Let me look for my trail side repair photo

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iíll play. 2 miles into Mag7 to portal Friday dude we met on the shuttle lost a bolt to his front caliper. You guess it. Zip ties to the rescue. Worked like a charm

mtbr member
    When I installed my Wolftooth oval ring with camo setup (chainrings attach via bolts) I got excited to try it out and didn't bother with locktite for the moment. Lasted a good long while (months?) until the middle of the Whisky 30, after that long decent, just before the big ascent. Drivetrain felt funny as I had to pedal again, one bolt left. Figured I'd have to scratch and was wondering how I was going to get to Prescott. Long uphills anyway I went. No cell coverage to get friends to grab me, but the emergency guys with CB radios or something were there. It finally dawned on me to try to scavenge the bolts from my water bottle cages, see if they worked. Everyone looked at me when I yelled "yes!" to see what happened. Got me home.

No zip ties. No duct tape.

Ahhh the pain....
    1. Busted a hollow seat rail while doing prescott circle trail. FOund an old nail and it was the right diameter to go into each end of the break...solid for the remaining 20 miles.
    2. HUGE tire slice years ago by JeffZ 15 miles from any civilization with only about 2 hours of daylight left...(out south of Picketpost on AZT). Two park tire boots got him back to the car.
    3. Tire cut...stuffed a piece of stick in it and it held for 10 plus miles back to car.
    4. Tire cut at BCT...sucked out remaining stans from cut tire with a syringe and injected it into spare tube for puncture resistance...lesson learned, carry a cheap syringe!

I think one of the biggest lessons learned from the above and my more much like it was simply remaining calm. Your creative and problem solving capabilities are much better than if you panic.

mtbr member
    Not the most clever fix but this is my favorite. Tightening a square taper crank the old fashioned way. Poison Spider Mesa 1992.

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-poison-spider_1992.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igno-mtb View Post
    How is the CDO holding up? I had a tire sidewall. Let me look for my trail side repair photo
    There's been a lot of work done on CDO this summer so it's riding the best I've ever seen it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    1. Busted a hollow seat rail while doing prescott circle trail. FOund an old nail and it was the right diameter to go into each end of the break...solid for the remaining 20 miles.
    2. HUGE tire slice years ago by JeffZ 15 miles from any civilization with only about 2 hours of daylight left...(out south of Picketpost on AZT). Two park tire boots got him back to the car.
    3. Tire cut...stuffed a piece of stick in it and it held for 10 plus miles back to car.
    4. Tire cut at BCT...sucked out remaining stans from cut tire with a syringe and injected it into spare tube for puncture resistance...lesson learned, carry a cheap syringe!

I think one of the biggest lessons learned from the above and my more much like it was simply remaining calm. Your creative and problem solving capabilities are much better than if you panic.
    Ray, I may have to borrow that trick for fixing the seat rail in the future..

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-37023008_10156550711377803_2969896278034481152_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Iíll play. 2 miles into Mag7 to portal Friday dude we met on the shuttle lost a bolt to his front caliper. You guess it. Zip ties to the rescue. Worked like a charm
    Lost my front caliper bolt this weekend! Exact same fix! It lasted one more shuttled DH run before the tie snapped and had to call a quits.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Had a few good ones over the years. This one was by far the best:
    Crank arm bolt failure on a friend's bike about 7 miles from the trailhead out on the remote Boulders section of the AZT. Found a couple of sticks & some zip-ties to hold the arm on. Light pedaling got him back to the trailhead without walking. MacGyver approved.
    Post your best trail-side bike repair!-2013_04_13_02320.jpg

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-2013_04_13_02322.jpg

Earlier this year out on the AZT again, dropping down Martinez Canyon to the Gila River. Not one, but two sidewall slices on two friend's bikes. Curved needle, dental floss & superglue not only fixed the slice, but kept both tires tubeless without breaking the bead. The other side bonus, it's easy to add more sealant directly into the slice than to futz with the valve core!!
    Post your best trail-side bike repair!-img_20180307_203357_565.jpg

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-mvimg_20180303_174333.jpg

One other not as glamorous fix was a broken tension clamp on a Selle Anatomica leather saddle around mile 30 of a 100 mile ride. While I did lose most of the seat tension, I was able to still use the saddle by zip-tying the nose of the saddle to the rails and finish the ride.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks guys; the best post yet----------outshines Sedrama, by far! Sure outshines my pepsi can sidewall fix.
    So I was ridin tubeless in Kanab, alone; came to the North side of the mountain; snow patches; went thru them and 'psssst!' lost seals on both tires; had only 1 tube! Walked 4 miles thru snow n slush n mud! Any innovative fixes? My handpump was not strong enuff to get the seal back. I now carry 2 tubes
    Cheers TS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Had a few good ones over the years.

Earlier this year out on the AZT again, dropping down Martinez Canyon to the Gila River. Not one, but two sidewall slices on two friend's bikes. Curved needle, dental floss & superglue not only fixed the slice, but kept both tires tubeless without breaking the bead. The other side bonus, it's easy to add more sealant directly into the slice than to futz with the valve core!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180307_203357_565.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	1223830
    I've sown up sidewall slices at home and had them to hold up tubeless for months by gluing a patch on the inside of the tire over the repair - getting that to work on the trail without breaking the bead is impressive!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Thanks guys; the best post yet----------outshines Sedrama, by far! Sure outshines my pepsi can sidewall fix.
    So I was ridin tubeless in Kanab, alone; came to the North side of the mountain; snow patches; went thru them and 'psssst!' lost seals on both tires; had only 1 tube! Walked 4 miles thru snow n slush n mud! Any innovative fixes? My handpump was not strong enuff to get the seal back. I now carry 2 tubes
    Cheers TS
    I typically carry one spare tube (absolute last resort in my book) & a couple of CO2 cartridges for quick inflation when the tire is completely flat or if I had to break the seal. I've had good luck with my hand pump, a high volume Lezyne. It's been able to reseat a few tires trailside. A lot of that depends on your rim/tire combo though.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Cheers TS
    Can you say what caused the tires to de-bead in the first place?

If you're running low tire pressures this of course increases the chance of loosing a bead seal under lateral load. Any of the newfangled tire inserts (foam or inflatable) will help with keeping the tire seated even at 0 PSI. I have ridden several miles with a completely flat tire without any damage to the rim when I was running Schwalbe Procore on my bike. I don't use it anymore because if you actually need to fix the tire out on the trail then it becomes an enormous pain in the ass!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    So yesterday I was riding CDO trail with a couple friends, when, half way through the ride, the freehub on one of their bikes completely gave up the ghost. Normally this would have resulted in pushing the bike for much of the remaining 14 miles of the ride, including the 3 mile climb up Charouleau Gap Road.

Here's where the ingenious fix comes in - and all it took was 8 zip ties:

Name:	45569159_10218041854503759_5894496396446269440_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	1223756

Yes, it's now a fixed gear, but that's better than a no gear!
    I tried that before....as a non-fixie rider, it didn't take long for me to forget to keep pedaling so I just broke all the zip-ties almost immediately.

Next time, I'm going to use baling wire and tear the spokes out of my wheel instead.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Noticed my rear brake doing something funny on the way up, but didn't think much of it. Got ready to drop the 2.5K or so and noticed that the pin holding the brake pads in was completely gone! Got my keys out, took one of the rings off, threaded it through the pads and caliper and bent it. Solid for the descent. I also had to use a side of bacon at the same time due to puncturing on a rock and that also worked like magic, especially fortunate since I was down to very little, if any, sealant.

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-img_5583.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    About a year ago Iím riding Templeton with the wife. When I hear. ďMy brakes donít work!Ē She lost the bolt holding her brake leve. No worries zip tie it. Dang it. Forgot my zip ties.

Found a twig the same diameter of the hole. Shoved it in there and it got us back home thru Siim Shady

Meatbomb
    Bacon?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Bacon?
    Yes, tire bacon.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Without question...

Post your best trail-side bike repair!-88ac0877-b318-439d-80fd-dfd0e68ee96c.jpg

Took inter tubes and cut them to stabilize a broken leg...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Bacon?
    Bacon.Post your best trail-side bike repair!-img_5584.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    Without question...

Name:	88AC0877-B318-439D-80FD-DFD0E68EE96C.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	1224012

Took inter tubes and cut them to stabilize a broken leg...
    Excellent job. That's exactly the kind of realistic wilderness first aid situation that you might be faced with and why most "first aid kits" are of little use. Cuts and scrapes are usually not a big deal and it's important to clean them with water, but there's not much that you'd specifically carry for something like this, instead relying on what you have to come up with a solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Noticed my rear brake doing something funny on the way up, but didn't think much of it. Got ready to drop the 2.5K or so and noticed that the pin holding the brake pads in was completely gone! Got my keys out, took one of the rings off, threaded it through the pads and caliper and bent it. Solid for the descent.
    Nice... A guy I know had the same thing happen when he was riding during a trip to Japan. He used a small piece of bamboo in place of the pin and held for him.