Post-Storm Trail Conditions- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

Post-Storm Trail Conditions

McDowell Sonoran Preserve - Lost Dog, Ringtail from 128th St.

Went out on the SS at 5:45 am this morning. No trees down here in N. Scottsdale - it looks like we didn't get the big winds up here, just an incredible amount of rain, hail, thunder and lightning.

Trails were very damp and soft...and slow. Incredible rolling resistance (not fun). Not muddy back in here, for the most part, except for puddle spots; mostly sandy and rocky, so the trails don't pick up ruts (unless you ride through the puddle).

The big effect of the storm was on the rocks and the lines. Any section of trail with a grade and rocks (which is just about everywhere in the MSP) has been completely scoured and changed based on how the water flowed. There must have been a helluva lot of water flowing, because a helluva lot of rocks have been moved and piled everywhere. I have never seen these trails like this in 6+ years of riding back there. Everything was a challenge - climbing through and around this stuff, and descending - there was a wheel-grabbing or deflecting something or other every 5 feet. I had to stop and move branches off the trail at a couple wash crossings.

And this was all just Lost Dog/Ringtail/Old Jeep Road...I turned around at the Taliesin Overlook because I just wasn't enjoying it on the SS. I would expect Lost Dog down to Quartz from that Overlook to be a rocky choss-pile, and Quartz down through MMR to be very trashed, not to mention those serious, cobbly sections deep in the Quartz wash.
    Ride more; post less...

Shovel Ready
    I love the changes a little storm makes to the trial. We rode a little Stoney last night and I could see the erosion from the last storm. Plan on a ride or two over the holiday. Should be interesting to see the changes from last night. One of these days I would like to take you up on the offer to show me the Taliesin loop.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

My other ride is your mom
    Rode Hawes Loop this morning. The conditions were not as bad as the two previous storms (July storms) that we had which created the Hawes River and scoured everything in sight. I live about a mile from the trailhead and it poured, but I was surprised to not see the scouring, ditches and debris that I expected. Granted...it's not as smooth and fast as it was on Monday or Tuesday of this week (that was getting crazy fast!), but it's in a lot better condition than it was in mid July. Perhaps the previous storms did all the scouring and not much was left to wash away for this storm. BTW, I should add that with a dewpoint of 72 and a temp of 76 this morning.....it was like Nam out there. I wrung out my jersy after the ride and think 1.5 cups of brine came out.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 08-29-2008 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Rode out Dixie Mine, up Prospector. No read bad damage but definitely affected the trail. Made for an interesting ride. Hot today for sure...had to work harder on the trails due to the washed out areas. It makes the ride more interesting...but definitely a lot more effort!
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you look!"

It's a slugfest!
    Anyone have any updates on trail conditions at T100 (T100, 220, 1A, 304, etc...)? A group of us are headed out that way tomorrow morning....
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

im4Gsus
    darn rains...
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Anyone have any updates on trail conditions at T100 (T100, 220, 1A, 304, etc...)? A group of us are headed out that way tomorrow morning....
    Hey Pat...what time and from where?

I tooled all around there last weekend on the SS...kind of reversed everything and went UP the Cheesegrater. I stopped and really eyeballed that line (thinking of that video of you nailing it), and it actually looks better and doable, though I don't have the gnads for it. The goat trail from the top of the Cheesegrater saddle down to 1A has been sanitized (I think I saw some posts about that a while ago) and it's less rocky. I almost crashed hard on the backside of 220, the "Black Diamond" trail with the drops and right-hand S-chute - the rain seems to have really altered that - drops are bigger, chute is scoured more and V-shaped. I'd imagine that there is alot more "differentness" after last nights storms.

Anyways, let me know about tomorrow.
    Ride more; post less...

It's a slugfest!
    'Sup Walt. This is Steve. (Pat is Titusbro) Anyway, meeting at 40th st. lot at 5:45 - 6am FIP, weather permitting. You're welcome to join in on the sweat-fest...

-ss
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

RHRF!
    Hey Walt!

About 4-5 of us will be at the 40th St. parking lot around 5:45, FIP @ 6:00. We will be taking our 'standard route' of west on T100 up to 220, down the 220 'drops' and back over to 100, up 100 to 1A, up 1A all the way to the Cheesegrater, down to 304 and then 304 over and up the 'Red Monster', then across 100 to the north side trail heading east back to the parking lot. About a 2 hour ride, allowing for some 'session-ing' on the CG!

You're welcome to join us!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    'Sup Walt. This is Steve. (Pat is Titusbro) Anyway, meeting at 40th st. lot at 5:45 - 6am FIP, weather permitting. You're welcome to join in on the sweat-fest...

-ss
    I always mix up you two fellas...
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Very big tree next to my driveway - down. Larger monster pine tree in neighbor's back yard is now in my pool. Wall/fence - down, pool fence - down.
    I AM JUST A JERK

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I was working when the storms hit up here in Scottsdale. Worst storm I've ever seen up here.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Very big tree next to my driveway - down. Larger monster pine tree in neighbor's back yard is now in my pool. Wall/fence - down, pool fence - down.
    A totaled van and now this?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    A totaled van and now this?
    Yep, there is more too. It all started Wednesday when we had to let our newly adopted pet doggie go. We adopted him from Animal Control. One day, out of the blue, and for unknown reasons, he tried to bite one of the kids. We had to take him back. We were all very, very sad. That night Jodie totaled the van and I spent most of the night in the hospital making sure my kid was ok. Last night I got out of bed, looked at the pool and saw a tree covering it.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Yep, there is more too. It all started Wednesday when we had to let our newly adopted pet doggie go. We adopted him from Animal Control. One day, out of the blue, and for unknown reasons, he tried to bite one of the kids. We had to take him back. We were all very, very sad. That night Jodie totaled the van and I spent most of the night in the hospital making sure my kid was ok. Last night I got out of bed, looked at the pool and saw a tree covering it.
    You should just sleep in and have some waffles tomorrow morning.

Not a Barry supporter.
    This morning I rode DC west from Warpaint and it's in pretty bad shape. More rocks than usual, sandy areas are worse than normal, one huge puddy (20'x30'...give or take) towards the end near 40th St. and lots of deep ruts.

Not as good of a workout as last weekend b/c I was taking it easier than normal due to trail conditions. Think I'll stick to the roadie another week or so. Let the trail heal a bit....although, I'm so into SS again that the roadie is quite boring. Oh well...
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I'm so into SS again that the roadie is quite boring. Oh well...
    Dude you jump around more than a liberal on election day! If the weather holds off I hope to do a little road work tonight. Might try out the Niner with the Twin Rail tires for the first time.

PS: Will Miami win two games this year??
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

RHRF!

Conditions at T100 - Soft but stable.

Rode a couple of loops at Phx Mtn Preserve today and the conditions were actually pretty good - some loose sections and troughs but many of the other sections were 'packed rock' from the rains. As a side note - the Cheesegrater was in good shape and we had a couple of victories as a result.

"The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    fountain hills got hit hard with rain. lots of washouts over road heading towards rio verde. funny to watch some chick haul ass over a washout new FH and nearly knock the wheels off her car.

the competitive loops definitely took a hit. i mean not horrible, but more rocky etc.. some washed out areas to keep you on your toes.

mx

mtbr member
    I rode pima and dynamite this morning. Trails were very soft and lots of puddles.

Members who have read this thread: 0