Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Just Joshin' ya!
    Reputation: PrincipalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,979

    Post-Ride Eats - Where to Grub After Your Ride

    I saw this in the NorCal forum and I thought it would be great to know where people go in AZ. Mostly because I want to know if there is a place I am missing!

    Here in Phoenix, I eat at Los Taquitos after rides at SoMo all the time. Sometimes Original Burrito Factory or BagelMan as well.

    Where are your favorites?
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

  2. #2
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    703
    After SOMO I grab BBQ at Rudy's on Chandler. Get the moist brisket and large iced tea.

    After riding MMP I go to DJ's Bagel Cafe in Fountain Hills. All the bagel sandwiches are superb.

    Good topic compare to others lately. Thanks!

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  3. #3
    Guided by Voices
    Reputation: AzFlapjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    113
    Post ride I usually have a craving for chicken tacos and salsa. Mucha Lucha Taco Shop in Gilbert.

  4. #4
    Low speed, High Drag
    Reputation: kevhogaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    935
    McDowell = Phil's in Fountain Hills

    SoMo = Original Burrito Company

    Hawes = Red White & Brew

    Browns Ranch = Cheeseburger & Beer
    I need a cool saying to put here.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mad.Mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    361
    MMP = Sofrita

    SoMo = The Vine

    Hawes or GC = Joe's Farm Fresh
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bob_Preskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    90
    Flagstaff - Tacos Los Altos

    Sedona - Famous Pizza & Beer

    Phoenix - Somburros or Salazar Brothers

    Prescott - My house

  7. #7
    jddist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    373
    SoMo = Hillside Spot Cafe. Great food and best beer selection around.

  8. #8
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,287
    McDowell= Senior Tacos in Fountain Hills

  9. #9
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,073
    Superior: Los Hermanos (Picketpost, aka AZT)

    Tucson: Seis Kitchen after Tucson Mtn Park or simply passing through

    Summerhaven: Cookie Cabin or Sawmill Run

    Queen Creek: SanTan Regional Park rides - Creekside Taco Shack

    Black Canyon City: BCT - Rock Springs Cafe for pie!!

    Gold Canyon: Janie's Burrito Cafe & De La Cruz
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  10. #10
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,837
    McDowells (Gateway area) - Twisted Lizard (soon to add The Vig when it opens in June)

    T-100 either Aunt Chiladas or OSHO Brewery if we ride in from Tatum
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

  11. #11
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,287
    The Twisted Lizard always appears to be closed whenever I go by. Do they have funky hours?

  12. #12
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    McDowell= Senior Tacos in Fountain Hills
    do you like senior tacos?
    do you enjoy putting senior tacos in your mouth?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34
    Gilbert area: Lulus taco shop or Joe's Farm Grill
    SoMo: Rudy's or Can't Stop Smokin...they are a 30 second walk from each other
    Scottsdale/McDowells: Tom's Thumb Fresh Market
    Oak Creek: Oak Creek Brewing or Miley's Cafe, Oak Creek Espresso has great coffee
    Flagstaff: Diablo Burger

  14. #14
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,287
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    do you like senior tacos?
    do you enjoy putting senior tacos in your mouth?

    You know what they say....
    Last edited by Phillbo; 06-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.

  15. #15
    I am the Tin Man!
    Reputation: grizzlyplumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    McDowell= Senior Tacos in Fountain Hills
    This is my post-Hawes ride place, there is one on McKellips and Power.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.


    SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

    I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,203
    Not a AZ local but:

    Sedona: Famous Pizza....great sandwiches and slices.

    SoMo: Nello's Pizza. Just found this on our last trip....awesome!!

    Cracks me up that so many like Rudy's. I'm a lifelong regular Texas visitor and Rudy's is a chain that is just okay but I've ate at the PHX locations and they are weak, weak, weak compared to quality Texas BBQ, even by Rudy's standards. That being said, my California buddies always want to stop at the Goodyear location on the way home. I appease them so I can get the banana pudding.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bones2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    400
    MMP - Sofritas (this place was an awesome find, went the first time when a wait at sports girl - never gone back) or senior taco

    PMP - ohso

    Flagstaff - lumberyard/ beaver street

    BCT - Rock spring cafe

  18. #18
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The Twisted Lizard always appears to be closed whenever I go by. Do they have funky hours?
    I don't think so. I imagine they open around 11am and close at Midnight?
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    158
    Hawes - Nandos / Red, White and Brew / Senor Taco.

    SoMo - Nellos Pizza, Original Burrito co.

    GC - Chicago's Number One Gyro / The Sandwich Shoppe

    Prescott - Nasty Dogs (apparently they changed the name and vibe?) or I think it was called Rusty's.... Pizza place?
    Last edited by kmj831; 06-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    815
    Prescott - park Plaza Liquor & Deli

    (Because I don't know where Bob_Preskit lives)
    --Reamer

  21. #21
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    703

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post

    Cracks me up that so many like Rudy's. I'm a lifelong regular Texas visitor and Rudy's is a chain that is just okay but I've ate at the PHX locations and they are weak, weak, weak compared to quality Texas BBQ, even by Rudy's standards. That being said, my California buddies always want to stop at the Goodyear location on the way home. I appease them so I can get the banana pudding.
    Lets just agree to disagree on Rudy's. I moved to Phx 20 years ago from Austin. Until Rudy's showed up, there was zero quality Texas bbq in the valley. (Actually there was a place on 43rd Ave and Peoria that was pretty good, but they closed not too long after I arrived.) When you say weak bbq, you are talking about something like Bill Miller, assuming it still exists. Rudy's is so much better than that, and given what we have in Phoenix it really is superior. Yes, compared to some of the iconic Texas bbq joints, Rudy's might be considered average, but for the valley it can't be beat. We have this new boutique place in Phx called Little Miss BBQ, modeled after Franklins. But there's something disturbing to me about waiting in a long line for quality Texas bbq. BBQ snobs have taken over Texas bbq. The best bbq in Texas is not at all the places you read about in Texas Monthly. It's at a few dozen small town meat markets for about 3 or 4 hours on the one day of the week when there is a cattle sale, e.g., La Grange, Coupland, Weimar, Gonzalez, etc. Anyway, don't dis on Rudy's until you've lived here and aren't surrounded by world class smoked meat.

    One thing I do agree with you is the quality varies at different Rudy's. Colorado Springs is not great. Albuquerque on I-40 good. Austin on 183 is superior. Oddly, the original in Leon Springs just okay. Chandler, AZ and Goodyear (banana pudding location) pretty good.

    One last thing, passed thru Payson yesterday on the way to ride around Carr Lake area and saw an active roadside smoker about a mile north of the casino. Too bad it was closed when we came back thru town. Can't wait to give it a try. In keeping with the theme of this thread, try Alfonso's in Payson.

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  22. #22
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by desert_rider View Post
    Gilbert area: Lulus taco shop or Joe's Farm Grill
    SoMo: Rudy's or Can't Stop Smokin...they are a 30 second walk from each other
    Scottsdale/McDowells: Tom's Thumb Fresh Market
    Oak Creek: Oak Creek Brewing or Miley's Cafe, Oak Creek Espresso has great coffee
    Flagstaff: Diablo Burger
    Only people from phoenix would eat diablo burger, locals cannot afford it. Way better options were passed on way there.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bob_Preskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    90
    (Because I don't know where Bob_Preskit lives)
    I listed my house because there isnít really anything great in my hometown. (Plus we make a mean chicken taco with homemade salsa). One of my few complaints about Prescott is that there just isnít great food here. Unless something new has popped up in the last year as I havenít been out to eat much being too busy. Most of the places here are decent although overpriced, but not great like the pizza at Famous Pizza in Sedona or everything at Tacos Los Altos in Flagstaff. JMO.

  24. #24
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Impetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,298
    Post T100 rides: Los Taquitos at 16th st and Glendale.

    Legit one of the best Margs in all the Valley, and the pork al pastor is fantastic.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrankyMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    766
    San Tan = Diamond Dot Market
    Hawes = Senior Tacos (As previously stated)

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    358
    Tacos Los Altos is our go to in Flagstaff. East side location. The Lengua burrito and carnitas platter.

    If you ride early in Phoenix, and know great BBQ, like Coopers in Llano or Franklins in Austin, or John Muellers, the only option in Phoenix is Little Miss BBQ. A perfect ten. Something like 300 straight 5 star reviews on Yelp. A huge drop off to the next best Brisket in Phoenix. Fridays and Saturdays they add Beef Ribs. Nothing finer. Of course there is a line that forms at 10:20 each day. Well worth the wait.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
    Tacos Los Altos is our go to in Flagstaff. East side location. The Lengua burrito and carnitas platter.

    If you ride early in Phoenix, and know great BBQ, like Coopers in Llano or Franklins in Austin, or John Muellers, the only option in Phoenix is Little Miss BBQ. A perfect ten. Something like 300 straight 5 star reviews on Yelp. A huge drop off to the next best Brisket in Phoenix. Fridays and Saturdays they add Beef Ribs. Nothing finer. Of course there is a line that forms at 10:20 each day. Well worth the wait.
    Huh, I've never heard of Little Miss BBQ, but I will be checking it out for sure. My wife is from Texas and I've lived all over, and we both love BBQ. 1161 reviews on Yelp and a 5 star rating. Rave reviews from people all over the country.

    Sounds like the only bummer is that from the time they open till the time they close, the line is long to get food!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,345
    If you are in Moab there isn't anything quite like Milts.

    Here in Flag-

    Pizza and wings = Fratelis

    Mexican = Las Gorditas, Tacos Los Altos or Los Altenos. Las Gorditas is my personal favorite, their green enchilada sauce is insanely good imo.

    Burgers = Momma Burger

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    If you are in Moab there isn't anything quite like Milts.

    Here in Flag-

    Pizza and wings = Fratelis

    Mexican = Las Gorditas, Tacos Los Altos or Los Altenos. Las Gorditas is my personal favorite, their green enchilada sauce is insanely good imo.

    Burgers = Momma Burger
    Dude, stop thinking about food and get that fork installed on your bike.

  30. #30
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    If you are in Moab there isn't anything quite like Milts.

    Here in Flag-

    Pizza and wings = Fratelis

    Mexican = Las Gorditas, Tacos Los Altos or Los Altenos. Las Gorditas is my personal favorite, their green enchilada sauce is insanely good imo.

    Burgers = Momma Burger
    Winner.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Dude, stop thinking about food and get that fork installed on your bike.
    It's in the shop now. I'll be riding next week.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Lets just agree to disagree on Rudy's. I moved to Phx 20 years ago from Austin. Until Rudy's showed up, there was zero quality Texas bbq in the valley. (Actually there was a place on 43rd Ave and Peoria that was pretty good, but they closed not too long after I arrived.) When you say weak bbq, you are talking about something like Bill Miller, assuming it still exists. Rudy's is so much better than that, and given what we have in Phoenix it really is superior. Yes, compared to some of the iconic Texas bbq joints, Rudy's might be considered average, but for the valley it can't be beat. We have this new boutique place in Phx called Little Miss BBQ, modeled after Franklins. But there's something disturbing to me about waiting in a long line for quality Texas bbq. BBQ snobs have taken over Texas bbq. The best bbq in Texas is not at all the places you read about in Texas Monthly. It's at a few dozen small town meat markets for about 3 or 4 hours on the one day of the week when there is a cattle sale, e.g., La Grange, Coupland, Weimar, Gonzalez, etc. Anyway, don't dis on Rudy's until you've lived here and aren't surrounded by world class smoked meat.

    One thing I do agree with you is the quality varies at different Rudy's. Colorado Springs is not great. Albuquerque on I-40 good. Austin on 183 is superior. Oddly, the original in Leon Springs just okay. Chandler, AZ and Goodyear (banana pudding location) pretty good.

    One last thing, passed thru Payson yesterday on the way to ride around Carr Lake area and saw an active roadside smoker about a mile north of the casino. Too bad it was closed when we came back thru town. Can't wait to give it a try. In keeping with the theme of this thread, try Alfonso's in Payson.

    Bob

    i gotta disagree, Can't Stop Smokin', right next door to Rudy's, is the bomb. I went to Rudy's once, and maybe it was just that one time, but it was definitely below average. Get the Groupon.

    But you're right on about Alfonso's in payson. Good stuff. Or try El Rancho for dine in.

  33. #33
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,588
    this time of year my rides always end back at my front door, and then me dropping the bike, running thru the house, and diving into the pool
    food be damned

  34. #34
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller View Post
    i gotta disagree, Can't Stop Smokin', right next door to Rudy's, is the bomb. I went to Rudy's once, and maybe it was just that one time, but it was definitely below average. Get the Groupon.

    But you're right on about Alfonso's in payson. Good stuff. Or try El Rancho for dine in.
    No disagreement about Cant Stop Smoking. It opened almost the same day as Rudys. Besides what I make in my smoker oven, probably the best beef jerky I ever had.

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darth biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    451
    For authentic MX food, reyes de la torta, when riding t100 off 7th st.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bones2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    400
    Found a new to me one in Flag. Proper on south San Francisco street. Deli/butcher. Pastrami sandwich.

Similar Threads

  1. post-ride eats: Where do you get your grubb on?
    By Entrenador in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 07:18 AM
  3. Big Bear Eats........after ride
    By SHIVER ME TIMBERS in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM
  4. Rec's for post Picketpost grub?
    By dsittman in forum Arizona
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.