Post Bird Binge Ride?? We're visiting for Thanksgiving.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468

    Post Bird Binge Ride?? We're visiting for Thanksgiving.

    My husb (Dirty D) and I are coming out to the Phoenix area for Thanksgiving (Wed nite - Sunday). We're planning on bringing our bikes and hopefully making it worth the effort (of hauling the bikes with us) with a ride out at SoMo. We have all day Friday set aside for riding, and we're wondering if any locals would like to come out and meet us/show us all the great stuff we've been reading about and seeing? I'd be awesome to get a group together and meet some of you AZ kids from mtbr.

    Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  2. #2
    Glutton for punishment
    Reputation: ScottN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    580

    I guess it depends on how much riding you want...

    The Flight of The Pigs is the Friday after T-Day. An all-day/half the night adventure.

    Think of a 65+ mile party ride involving a bunch of killer singletrack and big peletons of MTB riders taking over the streets in search of the next trail section.

    Starts early, ends late. Lots of fun!

    SN

  3. #3
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,392
    Hi Julee,

    Alot of people will be assaulting themselves on Flight of the Pigs that day. SoMo will be a mtn bike riders zoo for a while. FOTPs takes you up Coast2Coast on SoMo, then up city streets to the T100 Trail system, then down city streets/canal paths to the Papago Park trails then back to SoMo. A 62+ mile butt remover ride.

    Click for FOTP maps: http://www.flightofthepigs.com/FotP/fotp_map.htm

    Another fun alternative would be to hit Goat Camp. Beautiful singletrack, sections of hike-a-bike...fairly free of people. Miles of uphill that lead to A) Hellacious Rock infested DH or B) do a return downhill of the sweet singletrack that was just climbed. Either way, its some of the best singletrack in the valley.

    Post up when the time gets near and we'll see what's going on and get a ride together.
    ~~~

  4. #4
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    879
    empty your PM mailbox

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    empty your PM mailbox
    Done!
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Sounds like there will be something going on and someone/s to ride with. FOTP's sounds killer, though somewhat intimidating. We're strong riders, used to longish (usually not more then 35ish technical miles) rides, but 62+ miles is a bit more than I've done in a long time. We've really been looking forward to SoMo since we've never been there, but we're flexable depending on what's going on and who we hook up with (if FOTP, then I'll have to start increasing my miles a bit, or just plan to suffer, which is something I can do). Thanks!
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  7. #7
    Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Reputation: cycljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    but 62+ miles is a bit more than I've done in a long time.
    A lot of that 62+ miles involves riding flat roads in a pack to get from one section of trails to another. I think the hardest part of the ride is hitting the dirt again after completely pigging out at Zoe's Kitchen and then doing a fast spin on the road for 20-30 minutes. South Mountain is technical but so much fun that it doesn't really count as hard (although it's still a tough ride from coast to coast [SoMo speak for "National trail end to end"]).

  8. #8
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563

    Fotp

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    Sounds like there will be something going on and someone/s to ride with. FOTP's sounds killer, though somewhat intimidating. We're strong riders, used to longish (usually not more then 35ish technical miles) rides, but 62+ miles is a bit more than I've done in a long time. We've really been looking forward to SoMo since we've never been there, but we're flexable depending on what's going on and who we hook up with (if FOTP, then I'll have to start increasing my miles a bit, or just plan to suffer, which is something I can do). Thanks!
    it's well worth the effort. if you do it you'll be glad you did.

  9. #9
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,883
    I agree with cyclejunkie. He talked me into the FOTP last year and I was stoked afterwards that he did. The hardest part is hitting the trail again after mounds of food. Plus, T100 is slightly uphill (or at least it felt like it) for part of the way so you think you should be going faster b/c it doesn't look uphill. Very deceptive....the FOTP is my favorite ride in the valley!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  10. #10
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Can you only ride Friday? Because if you can free up Saturday or Sunday, I would strongly recommend you work out a way to join us at Pinal Mountain. See the "Globe Weekend" thread stickied to the top of the page.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  11. #11
    We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Reputation: Ya_Hozna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I agree with cyclejunkie. He talked me into the FOTP last year and I was stoked afterwards that he did. The hardest part is hitting the trail again after mounds of food. Plus, T100 is slightly uphill (or at least it felt like it) for part of the way so you think you should be going faster b/c it doesn't look uphill. Very deceptive....the FOTP is my favorite ride in the valley!
    I took you down Geronimo and you said that was your favorite ride. Then you did Goat Camp and you said that was your favorite ride. Now you say FOTP is your favorite? Oh! I'm getting confused!!
    I've nothing to add....

  12. #12
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    I took you down Geronimo and you said that was your favorite ride. Then you did Goat Camp and you said that was your favorite ride. Now you say FOTP is your favorite? Oh! I'm getting confused!!

    You just like to start controversy...don't ya!

    Geronimo is one of my favs at SoMo...So is Corona Loma...GC is my fav trail in the valley.

    FOTP is my favorite event in city. Know what I mean? It's better than 24 OP and any other event I've done.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Can you only ride Friday? Because if you can free up Saturday or Sunday, I would strongly recommend you work out a way to join us at Pinal Mountain. See the "Globe Weekend" thread stickied to the top of the page.

    p.
    Thanks for the cool invites. I don't know about Sat or Sun yet. Friday we'll for sure check out some of you best dirt, but if we ride to much more, my fam will wonder if we came just to play on bikes or to visit (we don't really see them that much). I'll be happy with just the right amount of both. It's a bit of a bummer cuz it's like entertaining visiting friends who don't ride, what do you do??? Eat and drink coffee, see a movie? Ick. At least going to visit others who don't ride you can show up with bikes and impress upon them the importance of exercise.

    I'll PM you if we can get out on the weekend to see what's going on.

    Thanks for the info, AZites. You guys are rad. Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.