POLICE needs you help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

POLICE needs you help!

As some of you are aware, I'm a detective in the greater Phoenix area and recently came across a mountain bike I believe to be stolen. This bike was subsequently seized but there is no record based upon the serial number or OWNER APPLIED NUMBER.

Before I post the pics and end up giving it to the wrong owner, I'm asking ANYONE out there that had their CANNONDALE bike stolen or knows of someone who had one stolen to contact me immediately through a PM.

I'm hoping to find the owner through this forum, confirm that it's stolen and put someone in jail...

The person the bike was taken from claims it was purchased for $400 at the Avondale swap mart, but knowing a thing or two about bikes, this rig is WELL MISSED by it's owner and exceeds the $1000s.

If you know who had a bike like this stolen, let me know with the details of the components. I obviously don't want to post them now.

If I get no response, I will eventually post the pics and details of the bike, but if someone claims it, the burden will be on them to prove ownership.

I don't know who the moderator is, but can you please post this at the top of the AZ forum until we get this resolved. thanks

oh Lucky me
    bummer it wasnt a specialized hard tail you found

but good luck in finding the owner i hope they get thier bike bike...
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

parenting for gnarness
    OT, but was wondering how your ACL is doing, since you haven't posted in awhile. hope your recovery and mindset are doing well.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    OT, but was wondering how your ACL is doing, since you haven't posted in awhile. hope your recovery and mindset are doing well.
    What a recovery!... I never thought ACL surgery would be such a pain the ass. Thanks for asking. I'm practically 100% and have hit the trails again... but not as hard. Or at least until I get my 2010 Giant Reign X..

YT
    mtbr member
    Not sure if this helps, but several high end Cannondale Mountain Bikes were stolen from the Team trailer while parked at Bicycle Ranch Bike Shop in Scottsdale a couple months ago. Some were even one offs with no serial numbers but custom paint jobs and team issue only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    just curious, what would the police recomend that we do to help identify our bikes to help in recovery? I though one person on here had a neat idea about a sticker that said the bike was stolen with the owners name on it. It was supposed to draw peoples attention to it and as long as you could prove who you are it would be no big deal.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

AZ
    banned
    I drop a buisness card into my seat tube to help identify in case of theft .

mtbr member
    It's critical you write your serial number down somewhere and keep it in your records. Most people don't. The next problem we have is when a bike or any item is stolen, despite having a serial number, we can't necessarily put it "into" the system as being stolen. I'm referring to an NCIC database.

Normally when the police come across an item like I did, I run the serial number and often get no record found. It's because the dollar value typically doesn't meet the standard to put the bike into the system or the owner couldn't provide it at the time of the report.

You have a good question. The police won't spend too much time on property crimes because there are more important issue to be solved. I wokr person crimes and just happen to come across this bike while interviewing a suspect.

I know there are stolen recovery site out there, but they're ineffective. I think a stolen recovery forum should be started here! A moderator should be contacted! If there was a stolen forum, it could be passed to the other police agencies. Particulary if it's local.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If my bicycle is stolen it's easy to prove it's mine. Open the stem and my phone # is on a piece of paper, inside.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think it could be a great use of MTBR to add an area to out profile where we could add our serial # and any special parts or add-ons that would help to identify it. If it were stolen it would be easy to add to a data base on here available by the public and the police to check it out. Maybe we could get the sticker idea off the ground as well to put one on the bike once it is registered here to help people know about it. MTBR could put their name on it and it would be a great way for them to advertise while helping make a difference in thefts.

Where are the mods?

Saucy Size
    Mods are here and listening. At least I am. I think it's a neat idea. I'll bounce it off the folks who can actually make this happen.

That said, note that many/most posters here have more than one bike. It might make more sense to have a general STOLEN BIKE forum.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    If my bicycle is stolen it's easy to prove it's mine. Open the stem and my phone # is on a piece of paper, inside.
    Abe,

You should never post the combination to your lock, so to speak.

Now, find another place to hide identifying info, but do not broadcast it to the internet.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

AZ
    banned
    Stolen bike forum makes sense . No use posting all the info on all your bikes just so thieves can use it as a shoping list .

mtbr member
    GPS tracking device. That way I can track it down and kneecap the MF'er.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by daugela
    I know there are stolen recovery site out there, but they're ineffective. I think a stolen recovery forum should be started here! A moderator should be contacted! If there was a stolen forum, it could be passed to the other police agencies. Particulary if it's local.
    So I pitched it to the overlords and their feeling is that nobody would go to that forum. I tend to agree with their logic, but I think I'm not fully understanding the proposal. Right now, they/we are suggesting that stolen bike reports get posted to the suitable regional forum.

Is the idea that a stolen bike forum might be visited more frequently by law enforcement? That might work.

Anyway, if you have a more specific proposal and/or insight into why a stolen bikes forum might be a useful law enforcement tool, lemme know (PM me) and I'll pass it along to the bosses.

p.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was thinking we could just have an area in our PM area that we could enter the serial numbers of our bikes and any tell-tale features of the bike from parts replaced to names inscribed on it. IF or in some occasions WHEN it is stolen we could simply click on some area that would then move it into the public reported stolen registry that anyone from me to the police could check on. You already have every state represented in the forum so it shouldn't be too hard to get the word out. Seems like it wouldn't need to be more then a small area in our private area and a database to keep the stolen registry on. I would use it and tell my friends about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    funny that there are 3-4 different posts besides this one just on the AZ forum about stolen bikes.........

C'mon MTBR, this could be a great thing for us and for you if you did it right.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    In Flag you can register your bike with the police department for a dollar. They write down the serial number and give you a sticker to put on the bike.

I think this is something throughout AZ.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member

BIke returning to suspect

I am ABSOLUTELY shocked that nobody has claimed this bike. I've done my best to try and locate a "victim" but without it, the bike is going back to the person. It's just not right. This bike does not belong in their possession but what else can I do?

Saucy Size
    That sucks, man. But my suspicion is that only about 10% of the "serious" mountain biking community -- the folks who might own this kine of bike -- are on MTBR. I think there are a few more at the other sites, like pinkbike and ridemonkey. Did you drop notes there as well?

Last thought would be to hit the bike shops near where the bike was stolen/recovered.

:-(

p.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    GPS tracking device. That way I can track it down and kneecap the MF'er.

That or the appearance of the bike is being monitored by 'Lowjack'. I'm contemplating making my own sticker up for my commuter. I think deterance is half the battle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daugela
    I am ABSOLUTELY shocked that nobody has claimed this bike. I've done my best to try and locate a "victim" but without it, the bike is going back to the person. It's just not right. This bike does not belong in their possession but what else can I do?
    post his name and address and let vigilante justice prevail.
    kidding....kinda.

Members who have read this thread: 0