mtbr member

PMP-Trail routing FAIL

SOOO today I thought it would be a great idea to ride the bike home from the shop via the PMP. So I looked at that map and thought sure I can go up squaw peak drive and take Trail 304 over the crest down to familiar ground and trail 100. I have hiked up to piestawa/squaw peak but never went over trail 304 before so didn't know what I was in for. WOW. Let's just say its not a trail that is ridable GOING UP unless you have some SERIOUS SKILLS. I ended up hiking up the steps with my bike on my back for about a quarter of a mile and "summited". Nice ride down into Trail 100 land. Just thought I'd share the adventure...

No Clue Crew
    Yeah, the west side (Hairball) and the east side (Cheese Grater) are tough hikes, let alone descents on a bike.

dirt visionary
    sounds like a task for the doc
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Yeah, the west side (Hairball) and the east side (Cheese Grater) are tough hikes, let alone descents on a bike.
    I think he's talking about the trail that drops down to Piwesta parking lot. We used to do it about once a week. The last part is pretty much all HAB.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I think he's talking about the trail that drops down to Piwesta parking lot. We used to do it about once a week. The last part is pretty much all HAB.
    Yes, you are right now that I reread it. If it were ever clear of hikers it'd be a fun bomb down but I know I couldn't climb it. I started down it one day thinking it was the easiest route to 8B. Got 5 or 6 steps down it and stopped because of all the hikers I saw ahead and I knew I'd never get back up it.

Big B's Trails
    ....time to call trail doc....

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    sounds like a task for the doc
    PMP is fine the way it is as I asked the masses and they said so.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

"No Clue Crew"
    Very cool section, for sure. Hike it up, ride it down...........D

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, sounds like he's talking about the section that drops into the parking lot on Lincoln. Fun stuff. The wash at the bottom is the reason my finger is all crooked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Yes, you are right now that I reread it. If it were ever clear of hikers it'd be a fun bomb down but I know I couldn't climb it. I started down it one day thinking it was the easiest route to 8B. Got 5 or 6 steps down it and stopped because of all the hikers I saw ahead and I knew I'd never get back up it.
    They get out of your way.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Yep, sounds like he's talking about the section that drops into the parking lot on Lincoln. Fun stuff. The wash at the bottom is the reason my finger is all crooked.

That is indeed the trail. On the north side it splits into two trails (one is the cactus garden trail I think). But on the south side it's mainly STEPS or very tight travel most of the way. I started riding up and then off the bike and carry and then back on and off and on and off and finally I said forget it I am just carrying it up. It was around 6:30pm so no hikers but I did contend with some darkness on the downhill run and I forgot my light at home. I don't know how you could ever ride it up. I personally wouldn't even want to ride it down. For the record I won't be going back UP that way again, likely ever.

mtbr member
    I love coming down that trail, 304 I think it is, the one that finishes with the climb out of the wash that puts you on the west side of that top parking area at the end of the road. It's a great little piece to develop tech skills on as lone as it's not prime hiking/trail running time.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

"No Clue Crew"
    I thought your finger was all crooked because (nasty vaginal joke involving Grave9s mom edited out by moderator)

No Clue Crew
    Is that where you snapped it? I thought it was on that gnarly 8b section?

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    They get out of your way.
    Thankfully, they usually do. Usually. From past threads you know they don't always...

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    I thought your finger was all crooked because (nasty vaginal joke involving Grave9s mom edited out by moderator)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No, right at the bottom of 304 where it drops into the wash. There's that right turn to get into it with a good-size drop right in the middle of the turn.

"No Clue Crew"
    No, right at the bottom of 304 where it drops into the wash. There's that right turn to get into it with a good-size drop right in the middle of the turn.
    And there is a huge wood railroad water bar

Members who have read this thread: 0