PMP - Everything But The Kitchen Sink Ride- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

PMP - Everything But The Kitchen Sink Ride

Today I wanted to do something completely different than my regular loops in the Phx Mtn Preserve. I decided to throw together an "Everything But The Kitchen Sink" ride...which meant the loop would have to include XC, multiple big climbs, and some DH gnar. I also wanted a good 3-4 hour ride.

So I sat down with a map and here's what I came up with...which turned out to be a really cool ride.

From my house at 24St/Mountain View (big orange dot), I jumped on the T100. Then I went all the way west to Shaw Butte. I went up/down Shaw Butte, back around to T100 near 7th Ave, and then went east on T100 all the way back past the Pointe Tapatillo. After the Pointe I jumped on the 25 and rode up Rocky Ridge (ugh...it was loose!!), and then back down Mine Drop and back on the T100 near Cave Creek Rd. Then I went under Cave Creek and jumped on T100A/Disneyland. Then back on T100 all the way across to DD...past DD...and then down Zipper (wheeeee!). At the end of Zipper I hopped on the loop around Snake Hill (mainly to take a pee), then over to Porcupine Ridge, and up Green Hill. Then I dropped down and across T100 over and up to 1A...climbed over Irregular Link and went down Hairball. After Hairball I stayed on the 1A, over to the 51 freeway, stayed on the 1A and climbed back *up* 1A to the Mine Trail (ugh this hurt this time). Then I dropped back down to the T100 and rode back on the T100...up Widowmaker (which really hurt), and back home.

This ride took me about 3hr 45min with just a few short breaks. I didn't have my GPS so I have no idea how many miles I rode (guessing around 25-30). Regardless, it was a very hard workout and a good mix of every type of terrain.

When the weather cools down I might try to put together a group ride of this route. It's tough...because if you bring an XC bike then there are some really sketchy DH spots that you might walk. But if you bring an AM bike, the climbs will be a killer. Today I was on my Hei Hei so I did some walking on the 2 nasty spots on Hairball (was able to clear the rest, but there are some nasty spots on the 1A after Hairball).

Another DH option would be to go down the backside of Shaw Butte instead of going down the front side (like I did). There is some pretty serious gnarly stuff on the back side of Shaw Butte and I really didn't want to push it on the Kona.

Sorry the attached map is a little crappy. If anybody wants a more detailed hi-res version, send me a PM.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    thats one of my mounthly rides and would love to join you the next time you head out on this... I live on 59ave and t-bird...I take the canal path to d-lap then over to 7st. then north till I hit t100 then head east till 40st then flip it and head back home...
    just loads of riding with fun stuff all over... I rock my Regin X1 fer this..

Nice day fer a ride..I love days like these and more to come....

mtbr member
    I do a ride similar to this as well, sometimes at night, just linking up as many trails as I can, then ride home.

Henry rocks a CoilAir.

Members who have read this thread: 0