Thread: PMP 40th St

Wait for me!

PMP 40th St

Here's a few pics from my ride today, just a quick one from the 40th St trail head at the Phoenix Mountain preserve.
    This is as high as I made it. Pedaled half way, hike-a-bike the rest.
    Few hours of sunlight left
    Almost back down to the 100 split, flat tire. Just the excuse I needed to go ghetto tubeless

"No Clue Crew"
    Cool shots!.......Drew

No Clue Crew
    Where is that hill in relation to the parking lot? I like that particular loop section but haven't encountered any hill I had to walk up yet...

mtbr member
    Pic 1 = stoke
    Pic 2 = stoke
    Pic 3 = bummah

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The mid-point of 8 has a pretty gnarl climb. Due south out of the 40th St. lot. Parallel (just west) of the main hiking trail.

Drew and I will be at Dreamy Draw to run upper Cheesegrater today at 3:30 p.m. (sorry, short notice) if anyone wants some tech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Where is that hill in relation to the parking lot? I like that particular loop section but haven't encountered any hill I had to walk up yet...
    Not entirely sure if this is the hill, but if you drew a straight line from the 40th St parking lot to the A-W house, the first climb up is potentially a hike a bike. It's been at least a year since I've done it, but if memory serves it's a bit difficult to navigate. Then, you drop down before hitting the second climb up to A-W.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    My guess is busted kneed (what google labels 40th street), the one with tons of hikers on it....

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...38409&t=h&z=15

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    By his first photo, the OP is on Trail 8. In the top pic, you can see the 40th St. parking lot due north.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    My guess is busted kneed (what google labels 40th street), the one with tons of hikers on it....

I made the mistake of riding up/hiking up that trail until almost the switchbacks thinking it was 8. We stopped a hiker to ask when it connected and he said it didn't and he doesn't see bikers on the trail very often, if ever.

Haha. Whoops.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Not entirely sure if this is the hill, but if you drew a straight line from the 40th St parking lot to the A-W house, the first climb up is potentially a hike a bike. It's been at least a year since I've done it, but if memory serves it's a bit difficult to navigate. Then, you drop down before hitting the second climb up to A-W.
    Don't know what A-W house is...

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    By his first photo, the OP is on Trail 8. In the top pic, you can see the 40th St. parking lot due north.
    I thought that might be the parking lot in the distance.

I also thought that it might have just been continuing on south from the parking lot. Normall, I'll take that first right to make the loop a couple times. Or go left for the quick descent to Tatum and the climb back up. Always heard that hill was hard and didn't go anywhere...

So, where is "8" then?

May 2009
    But look at the third photo... that is not 8 (I go down and up that lower section of 8 a lot), that is the 40st trail.... guessing by it being precisely due N of the lot I am sticking with that 40th street hiking trail.. could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Where is the OP? We need answers!

Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    I made the mistake of riding up/hiking up that trail until almost the switchbacks thinking it was 8. We stopped a hiker to ask when it connected and he said it didn't and he doesn't see bikers on the trail very often, if ever.

Haha. Whoops.
    Yep, nothing fun about that trail IMO.

May 2009
    Don't know what A-W house is...

I thought that might be the parking lot in the distance.

I also thought that it might have just been continuing on south from the parking lot. Normall, I'll take that first right to make the loop a couple times. Or go left for the quick descent to Tatum and the climb back up. Always heard that hill was hard and didn't go anywhere...

So, where is "8" then?
    http://singletrack.us/gallery/displa...623&fullsize=1

A&W is up 8 where it meets with 36th ST on the South side of the preserve. It's a good climb but better as a loop up Sassy's/8A then down 8 in my opinion. Pretty loose climb in general.

No Clue Crew
    http://singletrack.us/gallery/displa...623&fullsize=1

A&W is up 8 where it meets with 36th ST on the South side of the preserve. It's a good climb but better as a loop up Sassy's/8A then down 8 in my opinion. Pretty loose climb in general.
    That map couldn't be much more difficult to read... I'll have to take my time to check 'em all out and get the nicknames down...

Good luck with that!
    Dec 2009
    I've attempted Cheesegrater twice, but riding up. Do most people ride down the cheesegrater or have people made it all the way up? I'm assuming if you start from DD, then you ride down.

The mid-point of 8 has a pretty gnarl climb. Due south out of the 40th St. lot. Parallel (just west) of the main hiking trail.

Drew and I will be at Dreamy Draw to run upper Cheesegrater today at 3:30 p.m. (sorry, short notice) if anyone wants some tech.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Riding up Cheese is no fun. We've been riding the upper portion. From DD, up 100 to 1A, up to Irregular, up to the beginning of Hairball, then hike-a-bike up the upper portion of Hairball to the benches. Then blast down Upper Cheese.

Did a nice break-in on my El Guapo. It was 106 by my car computer when we left the lot.

Wait for me!

Yeah, thats the one. Due south out of the 40th St parking lot. Its a pretty easy climb until you cross 100 then it gets increasingly steeper. It might be ride-able on the right bike but I'm pedaling a 7" freeride rig.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    Now I'm seeing it. Not even sure if I'd be able to find Sassy...

Sheeeiiit... how many times you guys go out there to keep it all straight? I've probably seen many of these other offshoot trails but didn't know where any of them went so never tried. I'm gonna have to try to find Sassy & 8 next time out. I usually take the 40th street trail to 100 then continue on north towards the Zipper and back to the parking lot. It's a fun little loop that you can do if short on time. Or a couple times if you've got plenty of time...

Thanks for the map, JD. I'll be studying it...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Love summer, saw only two other riders out there yesterday and three hikers.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    OK, you guys are 10x harder than I ever thought I was... That beeitch 8 was tough DOWN. I didn't even make it all the way UP Sassy (I think I found the right trail). Loose, loose, loose... combine that with me not in my prime since I haven't been riding much lately...

I think this is the turn from Sassy towards 8 but don't know. There were a few more offshoot trails that I didn't recognize from the map that JD provided. I'm assuming that white house barely visible in the background is AW House?

After breaking my collar bone during a track day at Firebird raceway I think I'm done riding over my head like I'm invulnerable. So I was taking it easy and didn't eat sh1t in the ravine that caught me by surprise.

I think this is where Sassy (or an offshoot of) meets up with 8. Took a break after climbing that beitch.

And this is up 8 heading back towards 40th street.

And, finally, I believe this is the saddle of 8 sitting on the bench and catching my breath after walking my bike the remained of the way up the loose, narrow, rocky trail.

Am I right in my locations?

I may wind up doing my "normal" loop of 100/Zipper until I get back into shape. That was a tough ride...

mtbr member
    I think this is where Sassy (or an offshoot of) meets up with 8. Took a break after climbing that beitch.

Am I right in my locations?

I don't think that is Sassy. Sassy is a bit further NW of where you are. However, if you turned right at this picture, you'd hit the A-W house.

May 2009
    I don't think that is Sassy. Sassy is a bit further NW of where you are. However, if you turned right at this picture, you'd hit the A-W house.
    I *think* thats 8A...

Skinny is right, Sassy is further North than that... it goes over a small saddle on a hill before the big climb begins.

No Clue Crew
    Sheeiit. I just realized where I got off course. I had it in my mind to go 40th St, 100 and 2nd left. Well, I needed to go 40th, 100, 8, 1st right, THEN 2nd left.

I think I wound up taking 100 almost to Porcupine Rim. Took the trail south (2nd left off of 100) just to the west of Medicine Wheel and rode right on past Sassy. I knew I was close... Next time:

So, for those of you familiar with my off-course route is Sassy harder or easier than what I would up doing? It appears from the map that all the HARD stuff that I walked was after Sassy so maybe it's not too bad. It'll be a while before I can ride that whole thing, though. A LONG while...

May 2009
    So, for those of you familiar with my off-course route is Sassy harder or easier than what I would up doing? It appears from the map that all the HARD stuff that I walked was after Sassy so maybe it's not too bad. It'll be a while before I can ride that whole thing, though. A LONG while...
    In my opinion, harder. The really lose climb (pretty much the rest of the climb to A&W) is there either way you go though (its after Sassy connects). You just skip some sand and such.

The fastest route (IE speed) is 8 to Medicine Wheel (the first right off 8 is the easy but the second isn't too long of a lose climb either).

Also try 8 from the 40th parking lot instead of taking the 40th St trail. Its more fun if you ask me.

No Clue Crew
    In my opinion, harder. The really lose climb (pretty much the rest of the climb to A&W) is there either way you go though (its after Sassy connects). You just skip some sand and such.

The fastest route (IE speed) is 8 to Medicine Wheel (the first right off 8 is the easy but the second isn't too long of a lose climb either).

Also try 8 from the 40th parking lot instead of taking the 40th St trail. Its more fun if you ask me.
    What's the difference between 40th St Trail & 40th parking lot? I always park in the 40th St parking lot. Are you talking about going west from the parking lot to hit 8 immediately? Never tried that since I always do the loop around the mountain clockwise. I'll have to give it a shot...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Coming from 32nd and Lincoln lot up 8A was not a fun way to reach A&W. the last 1000ft before the turnoff to 36th street I think is upwards of around 20-25% grade with loose rock and gravel. Anybody else have jello legs after this one?
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azdougness
    Coming from 32nd and Lincoln lot up 8A was not a fun way to reach A&W. the last 1000ft before the turnoff to 36th street I think is upwards of around 20-25% grade with loose rock and gravel. Anybody else have jello legs after this one?
    When I think I am getting in decent shape I use this climb to remind myself I suck. Never seen another biker on it. If you get into a groove its not too aweful until you hit the switchbacks with steps towards the top. Then you start the hike-a-bike... and notice how gassed you are.

No Clue Crew
    ... Then you start the hike-a-bike... and notice how gassed you are.
    That's the worst part. Last week when I did that section I posted above I could tell just by looking I was gonna be walking it some. It's harder to walk your bike up some of those grades than it is even when you are killing yourself on the bike.

I've never tried to access any of those trails from Lincoln. One of these days I'll give it a shot...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That's the worst part. Last week when I did that section I posted above I could tell just by looking I was gonna be walking it some. It's harder to walk your bike up some of those grades than it is even when you are killing yourself on the bike.

I've never tried to access any of those trails from Lincoln. One of these days I'll give it a shot...
    After doing it last night I would recommend hiking it first so you get a good idea what you are getting in to, Most hiking sites rate the 8a Quartz Ridge Trail easy - strenuous from the 32nd and Lincoln TH.

Oh, and if you do bike it, be courteous to the hikers there are lots of them and they are not used to bikers on this trail.
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

No Clue Crew
    Tried finding Sassy again this morning. Went W out of the parking lot and got on 8. I think I missed that left that keeps me on 8 'cause I missed several other turns I was looking for and didn't cross 100 at the anticipated spot. I think I would up on Medicine Wheel 'cause Sassy looks like it climbs quite a bit up the side of that little hill whereas I did not climb much. It was fun, though. Wasn't super tough which was good 'cause I was late leaving and didn't wanna be late for work.

Went on 8/100 to Medicine Wheel then back to 100 and around through the Zipper and back to the parking lot in 24 minutes. 4.2 miles. And still got to work on time...

Looks like I need to hire a fraking guide to show me around...

No Clue Crew
    Getting closer to finding Sassy. Finally found 8 at the parking lot. Don't know how the hell I missed it before. Took this route...

Actually, the first time from 8 & 100 I went S then W and took the 2nd left instead of the first. Still wound up on medicine wheel so I took 100 all the way back to 8 and took that first left indicated above. That was a fun section but it led me right back to medicine wheel and I don't recall seeing any other left to hit Sassy but I'll search for it again next time, probably Wed or Thurs...

Look back at JD's map and back and forth between GoogleMaps it looks like the trail SE I needed is right at the saddle where I took a break. I didn't see anything but then again I wasn't looking for it right there. I should be able to find it next time but after looking at GoogleMaps of the area it looks like it's gonna be a muddafukka. Guess I'll find out... Won't be the first or last time I walked my dumbass up/down a hill.
    Last edited by big0mike; 07-22-2010 at 08:35 AM.

EXORCIZE
    Getting closer to finding Sassy. Finally found 8 at the parking lot. Don't know how the hell I missed it before. Took this route...

Actually, the first time from 8 & 100 I went S then W and took the 2nd left instead of the first. Still wound up on medicine wheel so I took 100 all the way back to 8 and took that first left indicated above. That was a fun section but it led me right back to medicine wheel and I don't recall seeing any other left to hit Sassy but I'll search for it again next time, probably Wed or Thurs...

Look back at JD's map and back and forth between GoogleMaps it looks like the trail SE I needed is right at the saddle where I took a break. I didn't see anything but then again I wasn't looking for it right there. I should be able to find it next time but after looking at GoogleMaps of the area it looks like it's gonna be a muddafukka. Guess I'll find out... Won't be the first or last time I walked my dumbass up/down a hill.
    I think you just happened to miss it. IIRC, on a flat/straight trail that connects 8 and the Medicine Wheel area, Sassy shoots southward up a steep loose climb to a quasi-saddle where you can go 3 different directions: [1] straight/down to rejoin a nice segment of the Medicine Wheel; [2] right/up an even looser climb to a peak; or [3] left/up/around which leads to a long annoying trail that eventually spits you out to the southwest. I think this last one is Sassys. If so, there's lots of hike-a-bike, and the trail has not been maintained. I hiked it. Once.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    I think you just happened to miss it. IIRC, on a flat/straight trail that connects 8 and the Medicine Wheel area, Sassy shoots southward up a steep loose climb to a quasi-saddle where you can go 3 different directions: [1] straight/down to rejoin a nice segment of the Medicine Wheel; [2] right/up an even looser climb to a peak; or [3] left/up/around which leads to a long annoying trail that eventually spits you out to the southwest. I think this last one is Sassys.
    Yes, I just missed it. I climbed the loose stuff and wound up at the saddle. Looked right and saw that steep/loose climb up to the small peak on the NW and said "fuuukkthat." I went down SW and rejoined Medicine Wheel thinking the left I needed to take was ahead when, in fact, the left turn to Sassy was back at or near the saddle...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    If so, there's lots of hike-a-bike, and the trail has not been maintained. I hiked it. Once.
    So who's the muthafukka that said it was fun? Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning how fun it is...

Just another half mile...
    Sassy's is a lot of fun if you like tight twisty technical trails. Best ridden from south to north. There is a short section of HAB up to the saddle between the small pointy hill and the big twn peak hill. From there it is fun fun fun down to the other saddle where you climbed up to.

Yes, I just missed it. I climbed the loose stuff and wound up at the saddle. Looked right and saw that steep/loose climb up to the small peak on the NW and said "fuuukkthat." I went down SW and rejoined Medicine Wheel thinking the left I needed to take was ahead when, in fact, the left turn to Sassy was back at or near the saddle...

So who's the muthafukka that said it was fun? Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning how fun it is...

May 2009

That might have been me. I said it was fun... not easy.

It is indeed up on the saddle. If came from the East side up the saddle it hooks back so you kind of have to look back once you get to the top. There is some HAB and its pretty loose at times and rocky at others but a fun challenge. Just take it slow and look for lines. I would suggest you not do it alone the first time (or at least take it easy) as its a trail not heavly traveled.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Sassy's is a lot of fun if you like tight twisty technical trails. Best ridden from south to north. There is a short section of HAB up to the saddle between the small pointy hill and the big twn peak hill. From there it is fun fun fun down to the other saddle where you climbed up to.
    That might have been me. I said it was fun... not easy.

It is indeed up on the saddle. If came from the East side up the saddle it hooks back so you kind of have to look back once you get to the top. There is some HAB and its pretty loose at times and rocky at others but a fun challenge. Just take it slow and look for lines. I would suggest you not do it alone the first time (or at least take it easy) as its a trail not heavly traveled.
    What's HAB?

Yeah, I just missed it. I actually leaned my bike against a little shrub and took a picture of it right in front of the trail to Sassy. Stopped and looked again this morning and saw it. And passed... Maybe I'll try it once I'm really feeling good on the bike again. Since I just started riding again I'm not pushing myself. Last time I did that I went down at a track day on my motorcycle and broke my collar bone

I do REALLY like 8 and everything through the Medicine Wheel. I add that to my regular loop of 100 -> Zipper and I've got a nice, quick ~4 miles in 25 minutes. I'm sure after a few more weeks I can do it in < 20 min. I can do it a couple times for a longer workout or even go to Dream Draw Park for some more fun.

There's one section north of 100 towards DD Park that crests a small hill. On the back side is a fun little twisty section going down that spits you out right at the foot of that big climb out of DD on 100. Haven't done that in a while and when I have some more time besides 30-45 min in the morning before work I wanna tackle that again.

I'm taking my Garmin eTrex Vista Cx with me so I can map them out on GarminConnect like a few people are doing here. That's a pretty slick little application. Maybe then I'll be able to see where it's at on "the map".

My other ride is your mom
    HAB=Hike-A-Bike

mtbr member
    There's one section north of 100 towards DD Park that crests a small hill. On the back side is a fun little twisty section going down that spits you out right at the foot of that big climb out of DD on 100. Haven't done that in a while and when I have some more time besides 30-45 min in the morning before work I wanna tackle that again.
    The Mine Trail?

No Clue Crew
    The Mine Trail?
    I don't think so. I think what I'm thinking of is right about where "Chutes" is on the map. But, like I said, it's been a long time since I've ridden that section so I could be completely wrong.

No Clue Crew
    Are there maps like this for some of the other areas of Phoenix? South Mountain's trails? White Tanks?

mtbr member
    Are there maps like this for some of the other areas of Phoenix? South Mountain's trails? White Tanks?
    yes.
    b

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    yes.
    Link?

mtbr member
    you quoted it above. just look at the rest of Epic riders site!
    b

No Clue Crew
    Damn... didn't even pay attention to the URL itself since it linked to the graphic directly...

Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    The Mine Trail?
    I don't think so. I think what I'm thinking of is right about where "Chutes" is on the map. But, like I said, it's been a long time since I've ridden that section so I could be completely wrong.
    Actually, I'm now pretty certain is CHUTES...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...13#post7124413

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I rode 75% of #8 this morning. There was one section in the middle and then the last 20 feet I had to walk. It was an awesome morning to ride. Started at 5am and finished at 8:45 and didn't need tinted lenses in my sunglasses the entire time.

No Clue Crew
    It was very nice out this morning. You stayed longer than I did...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I kept trying to leave, but when I came to a trail that lead back to the parking lot my bike went the other way. I'd have it checked out but I don't think it's a big deal.

Members who have read this thread: 0