Please school me on the Tech and Sport loops and McDowell Mountain Regional Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Please school me on the Tech and Sport loops and McDowell Mountain Regional Park

Hi Everyone,

I'm coming to town this coming weekend, and from where I'm staying I can ride and get to McDowell Mountain Regional Park without putting my bike on the car or parking at the TH.

How are the Tech and Sport loops there? For point of reference I've ridden SoMo a couple times before and really enjoy the Mormon to National to Geronimo loop. Gonna do that again on Saturday. But for Sunday I'm thinking the McDowells.

Will I be bored?

Thanks,

ABQ Clyde
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

Ahhh the pain....
    tech and sport are essentially XC race courses. Most of the stuff in McDowell Regional Park is very XC. For a bit more challenge, but still XC, do a loop up Dixie Mine, Windmill, Bell, Prospector...fair bit of climbing, but the descents are pretty fun (prospector down is cool).
    Or take lower sonoran to Andrew Kinsey and descend Sunrise to the east...just watch for hikers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    tech and sport are essentially XC race courses. Most of the stuff in McDowell Regional Park is very XC. For a bit more challenge, but still XC, do a loop up Dixie Mine, Windmill, Bell, Prospector...fair bit of climbing, but the descents are pretty fun (prospector down is cool).
    Or take lower sonoran to Andrew Kinsey and descend Sunrise to the east...just watch for hikers.
    Thanks. Very helpful! So you're saying the Tech loop is inappropriately named. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm coming to town this coming weekend, and from where I'm staying I can ride and get to McDowell Mountain Regional Park without putting my bike on the car or parking at the TH.

How are the Tech and Sport loops there? For point of reference I've ridden SoMo a couple times before and really enjoy the Mormon to National to Geronimo loop. Gonna do that again on Saturday. But for Sunday I'm thinking the McDowells.

Will I be bored?

Thanks,

ABQ Clyde

If your yardstick is SoMo, you will be underwhelmed by anything in McDowell Mountain Park. The tech loop has a couple of nice drops and a rubbly downhill, but that's about it.

If you are in Tonto/Rio verde you can get to MMP via the Verde trail - but the trails are strictly non-tech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    If your yardstick is SoMo, you will be underwhelmed by anything in McDowell Mountain Park. The tech loop has a couple of nice drops and a rubbly downhill, but that's about it.

If you are in Tonto/Rio verde you can get to MMP via the Verde trail - but the trails are strictly non-tech.
    Thanks. Pretty much what I expected. I did the full Pemperton Loop last year, and while it was a decent workout, it was fairly mundane.