Platform shoe recommendations- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Platform shoe recommendations

I'm wanting to ride in my flats and jump, and looking for a good suggestion for shoes. Ideally would like a value pair that is not crap, since I wont be riding in them too often.

Five Ten Impact have gotten good feedback, but they are close to $100.

Thank you.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

meow

How 'bout these

Not sure if the color would match your skin tone though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    damn, you beat me to it!

Yeah, five tens. next!

parenting for gnarness
    fabulous color, the angle will provide natural toe grip and help hide my cankles, but they clash with my dark blue bike. I think they will match CoyoteKis' bike quite nicely.

sixsixtysix
    5.10's

nuff said.

Fragile - must be Italian
    The 5.10 Inpact 2's are on sale at various places for $80. To me that's dirt cheap. What are you wanting to spend? $25? I think you can find some white Reeboks with the velcro laces for that price.

If you wanna play...you gotta pay.

After doing my typical over-the-top research, I concluded that the 5.10 is the best shoe out there. I'll bet I found at least a dozen websites that said the same thing -- the 5.10 is the ultimate platform shoe and nothing comes close.

Mine should be arriving today. We'll see how I like them.

Thx...Doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Chollaball - you aren't too tall, do you have smallish feet? see www.backcountry.com for the 5.10 Rennies like mine. Cheap!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

If you like a mid-rise shoe, that's a great deal.

I don't like shoes that tall so I went with the Impact 2 Low instead. I think the Impact 2 Mid and the Rennie are the same exact thing...just the colors are different (black/black vs. black/tan).

Thx...Doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    If you like a mid-rise shoe, that's a great deal.

I don't like shoes that tall so I went with the Impact 2 Low instead. I think the Impact 2 Mid and the Rennie are the same exact thing...just the colors are different (black/black vs. black/tan).

Thx...Doug
    Just yesterday on morning shuttles I slipped a foot off the front of the pedal when a gear slipped during a shift. My ankle jammed really hard into the pedal but was protected by the hi-top 5.10s. My ankle is bruised & bit swollen today - without the hi-tops it would have been much worse! I say go for as much protection as you can get... they are super comfy and I am never bothered by all that shoe.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Chollaball - you aren't too tall, do you have smallish feet? see www.backcountry.com for the 5.10 Rennies like mine. Cheap!
    how do you like the mid-rise? heat, chafe, banging the chain stay? Almost everything I own is low-rise (including my g-string). $57 incl shipping is a good deal.

Doug - can't wait to see you ride that bike for the first time and hear you b!tching about the shoes, the pedals, the weight, your spandex getting caught in the linkage. But yeah, an extra $30 is nothing if it keeps me out of a crash.

thanks everyone.

parenting for gnarness
    I say go for as much protection as you can get... they are super comfy and I am never bothered by all that shoe.
    i was thinking the same sorta thing, especially as a noob to this type of riding, mistakes are sure to happen. I recall you wearing those on a Double Bypass too, cause you know I like to pedal up.

are they true to size? Backcountry has 8.5, which is what I typically wear - either way they have a good return policy...hard to beat to get a first set of gear at that price.

Just yesterday on morning shuttles I slipped a foot off the front of the pedal when a gear slipped during a shift. My ankle jammed really hard into the pedal but was protected by the hi-top 5.10s. My ankle is bruised & bit swollen today - without the hi-tops it would have been much worse! I say go for as much protection as you can get... they are super comfy and I am never bothered by all that shoe.
    KK - this is coming from a guy who hates wearing socks because I can't stand the feeling of anything around my ankles. Every time I ride my bike or go running, I wear anklets...never anything taller. If I could get away without any socks in my MTB shoes, I would.

Even when I played basketball I always wore low-rise shoes because hi-tops drove me nuts.

Yes, I have issues.

Thx...Doug

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Cholla,

All of the above posts are correct about the 5.10's plus they will last you a loooong time. You can throw them in the washer and the stealth rubber will be just as sticky as the day you bought them 2yrs. later-this coming from experience. I have the low-tops just because I don't like the restriction of highs or mids. You can always throw on an ankle guard underneath if need be too.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i was thinking the same sorta thing, especially as a noob to this type of riding, mistakes are sure to happen. I recall you wearing those on a Double Bypass too, cause you know I like to pedal up.

are they true to size? Backcountry has 8.5, which is what I typically wear - either way they have a good return policy...hard to beat to get a first set of gear at that price.
    Well, I wear size 9 women's shoes which is about a 7.5 in men's sizing and the 7.5 5.10s fit me perfectly! Get em!

AKA shitbird
    +1 on te 5.10's and yes they are true to size
    JRA

aka Diesel
    fabulous color, the angle will provide natural toe grip and help hide my cankles, but they clash with my dark blue bike. I think they will match CoyoteKis' bike quite nicely.
    *perk*

Now that I've pimped my bike, I'm thinking you are correct. Yes. I must have those.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Fly High!
    They are worth the $! plus they are a a stand up company that has thier SH1T together!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

parenting for gnarness
    Well, I wear size 9 women's shoes which is about a 7.5 in men's sizing and the 7.5 5.10s fit me perfectly! Get em!
    just ordered. thanks everyone for the feedback. Cheap enough that if I hate the hightops, I can prolly resell for 30-40 and make sampling some better gear worthwhile. Looking forward to my next time at NRA, and will be fun to try on Somo or Goat and compare to my clips.

Fly High!
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Cholla,

All of the above posts are correct about the 5.10's plus they will last you a loooong time. You can throw them in the washer and the stealth rubber will be just as sticky as the day you bought them 2yrs. later-this coming from experience. I have the low-tops just because I don't like the restriction of highs or mids. You can always throw on an ankle guard underneath if need be too.
    I know you gotta keep'em clean but if I see another impact thats purple because people wash them Im gona puke all over thier shoes! Mountain bike shoes = Dirty!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    *perk*

Now that I've pimped my bike, I'm thinking you are correct. Yes. I must have those.
    Are you going to post that picture in every thread? Does it have a mirror in it yet? All that room, and STILL no multi-tool...?
    Ride more; post less...

parenting for gnarness
    *perk*

yeah yknow, its not just that it clashes with your bike...i just can't condone the makeup kit under any circumstances. maybe if you stuck some goo shots and sunscreen in there. I think Chongo needs that for his new bike - it would match purrrrfectly.

aka Diesel
    yeah yknow, its not just that it clashes with your bike...i just can't condone the makeup kit under any circumstances. maybe if you stuck some goo shots and sunscreen in there. I think Chongo needs that for his new bike - it would match purrrrfectly.
    Oh you and Walt! Enough already, with the "it doesn't match thing". I mean, what... do you guys spend your off-bike hours watching Queer Eye for The Straight Guy? Match, my azz. I ride a rigid, I smell like an animal... no reason to look like one too. I will enjoy my leopard print bag, and I will PACK IT full of lipgloss. I am, in fact, on my way to go glue-gun a mirror onto the inside flap. I am woman, Here me... purr.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Are you going to post that picture in every thread? Does it have a mirror in it yet? All that room, and STILL no multi-tool...?
    Why do I need a multi-tool, when I have YOU. *filing nails* You change flat tires and fix my bike jus' fine, spankyouverymuch.

And yeah... I am going to post it in every thread. Wait until I get my matching ears, grips, tail, and hanging dice. So wrong it's right. So ugly, it's cute. Like a pug.

I am Walt
    I will enjoy my leopard print bag,
    Purr-fectly understandable; it matches your...umm, nevermind...

Here me... purr.
    It's "hear"...
    Ride more; post less...

....just cruisin through
    Has anyone tried the 5.10 Freerider? I am wondering if the Stealth sole is as tacky as the Impacts? It looks like a "slimmer" version of the Stealth sole, but I can't tell if it is the same material.

aka Diesel
    Purr-fectly understandable; it matches your...umm, nevermind...
    What, my "cougar" status? That a dig on my age?
    Well if such a thing were true, then, you can call me a cougar... I'd call myself, sat-is-fied.
    It's "hear"...
    You're right; "hear"... let me turn it up... *middle finger*

I am Walt
    What, my "cougar" status? That a dig on my age?
    Well if such a thing were true, then, you can call me a cougar... I'd call myself, sat-is-fied.
    *stutter*...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my friend has the free rider, the sole doesnt come up the sides, instead theres like trim around it. all of the glue has let go leaving it floppy on the sides, this was after a week. get the impact stile i just got the sam hills and love em

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    I know you gotta keep'em clean but if I see another impact thats purple because people wash them Im gona puke all over thier shoes! Mountain bike shoes = Dirty!
    Hey...keep mountain biking drama free....hater!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    I'm wanting to ride in my flats and jump, and looking for a good suggestion for shoes. Ideally would like a value pair that is not crap, since I wont be riding in them too often.

Five Ten Impact have gotten good feedback, but they are close to $100.

Thank you.
    Please tell me you're not going all Huggy Bear on us.

I have Five Tens, and by far the most comfy riding shoes I have ever owned.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    Mine are turning purple after a years worth of use and not once have they been washed. I think the sweat combined with our lovely 360+ days a year of sunshine help fade them.
    +1 for the 5-tens or any shoe with the stealth rubber bottom.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    Mine are turning purple after a years worth of use and not once have they been washed. I think the sweat combined with our lovely 360+ days a year of sunshine help fade them.
    +1 for the 5-tens or any shoe with the stealth rubber bottom.
    Black shoe + 7000ft Az sun = purple 5 10's

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Kick it old school

Photobucket

meow
    Shweet bag CK, a matching seat would complete the look!

aka Diesel
    Shweet bag CK, a matching seat would complete the look!
    Thanks!
    As to the seat, I thought about that, and it would look mighty fly... but I'm afraid my butt will shred off all the faux-fur, and it will end up looking like this dog I had when I was kid. Skeery.

parenting for gnarness
    Thanks!
    As to the seat, I thought about that, and it would look mighty fly... but I'm afraid my butt will shred off all the faux-fur, and it will end up looking like this dog I had when I was kid. Skeery.
    you totally need the saddle - then you would have balance in your montage. right now the handbag just draws all the attention away from the bike, the bike gets mad, and you have tension. LISTEN TO ME - I took an art history class once. (actually, i just dated an art major...actually, I just got drunk and hooked up with an art major...actually I'm not really sure if she was an art major or just was kinda an artsy burnout girl...

You need this! If its like their camo saddles, its pretty durable printing, better than the pleather. And they are extremely durable saddles. I've got one on my heckler and its been good.

aka Diesel
    you totally need the saddle - then you would have balance in your montage. right now the handbag just draws all the attention away from the bike, the bike gets mad, and you have tension. LISTEN TO ME - I took an art history class once. (actually, i just dated an art major...actually, I just got drunk and hooked up with an art major...actually I'm not really sure if she was an art major or just was kinda an artsy burnout girl...

You need this! If its like their camo saddles, its pretty durable printing, better than the pleather. And they are extremely durable saddles. I've got one on my heckler and its been good.

I.Want.That.Seat.

I will have it.

That's it. I'm committing. Going all-in.

My hands are shaking.

I need that seat.

aka Diesel

Link please.... STAT.

mtbr member
    Link please.... STAT.
    i'm your huckelberry:
    http://www.sdgusa.com/bike_rails.php
    b

parenting for gnarness
    Link please.... STAT.
    first...say it: who gots your back?

try these. Dunno if you will find it with Ti rails, I have the cromo rails cause its on my bigger bike. wait...you dont care about weight, you've got a hair dryer in your handlebar bag.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/ItemMatri...0&MatrixType=1

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc

I shouldn't buy this seat.

Doc Holliday:
    "Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

Okay. Yes I should.

Edit:
    Yes, Cholla-san. You are the master of pimp. I defer to your wisdom, and you have my back. I now see the lesson you were trying to impart. :-D

mtbr member
    Doc Holliday:
    "Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

Okay. Yes I should.
    I will be driving by a certain shop on my way home from work.....should I make a pit stop? I'm always one to enable.
    b

I am Walt
    Why stop at the seat...?
    Ride more; post less...

Kathleen in AZ
    first...say it: who gots your back?

try these. Dunno if you will find it with Ti rails, I have the cromo rails cause its on my bigger bike. wait...you dont care about weight, you've got a hair dryer in your handlebar bag.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/ItemMatri...0&MatrixType=1
    Chain Reaction in the UK is where I buy my white camo SDGs. Not many US online stores have all the cool SDG prints. Go for it!!!

aka Diesel
    Why stop at the seat...?
    Wow! That's a whole new level of tacky.

I LIKE IT!!

But let's not get crazy, here. I mean... first of all, I don't want to detract from the main show, which is ME. *sweet smile* Second of all... I don't want to look like smaller prey, to a bigger cat. *sweeter smile*

But I do want ears for my helmet.

I need an intervention.
    The first step is admitting you have a problem.

aka Diesel
    Chain Reaction in the UK is where I buy my white camo SDGs. Not many US online stores have all the cool SDG prints. Go for it!!!
    Kat! Just the one I wanted to hear from... another woman... because, umm... question about female-specific seats. Yes? No? Make a difference? It's all I ride with, have ridden with, and they don't make this seat for women.

I am Walt
    But I do want ears for my helmet.
    Of course you do...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Of course you do...

I just geysered my gatorade.

What have I become? I bring shame upon my family name.

I'm twitching.

("Every Day is Halloween", to quote Ministry)

Kathleen in AZ
    Kat! Just the one I wanted to hear from... another woman... because, umm... question about female-specific seats. Yes? No? Make a difference? It's all I ride with, have ridden with, and they don't make this seat for women.
    The SDG Belair has been my seat of choice for many years. The new ones have a shallow nooky channel and as you can see in the photo, the rear side tips up a bit. I tend to rest my sitbones on the back of the saddle and like saddles with this profile best... I've never liked the female specific saddles because they're always too wide. I may have a wide ass but darn it, i don't need a barn to sit on!

parenting for gnarness
    cruise down the hill if you want to check mine out. in fact, you can borrow the post\saddle - that will guarantee i dont get tempted by all this Sunrise siren-songery.

aka Diesel
    cruise down the hill if you want to check mine out. in fact, you can borrow the post\saddle - that will guarantee i dont get tempted by all this Sunrise siren-songery.
    Kat- Come to think of it.... yeah.... those things are one inch short of a cruiser seat!

Jason- Are you in town tomorrow? After my son's morning FB game, I might just have to take you up on that.

parenting for gnarness
    The SDG Belair has been my seat of choice for many years. The new ones have a shallow nooky channel and as you can see in the photo, the rear side tips up a bit. I tend to rest my sitbones on the back of the saddle and like saddles with this profile best... I've never liked the female specific saddles because they're always too wide. I may have a wide ass but darn it, i don't need a barn to sit on!

I would like to add, for the record, that I actually bought a pair of shoes by about the 14th post in this thread. This is what happens when D plays cougar at the keyboard.

I am Walt
    This is what happens when D plays cougar at the keyboard.
    Umm..."plays"...?
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    Hey, I know that you will need my assistance if this situation comes up. Make sure that you have an emergency supply of Delerium and cherries!

aka Diesel
    Umm..."plays"...?
    Wait... HOLD ON... how old are you, Walt?

Originally Posted by chollaball
    This is what happens when D plays cougar at the keyboard.

I am compelled to respond. And have the last word.
    As to forums, what else is there to do during the boring, hot mid-day of an Arizona summer? Come cooler weather, you'll be wondering why I don't call, don't write.

I am Walt
    Wait... HOLD ON... how old are you, Walt?
    No, YOU hold on...people will talk...oh wait...nevermind...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    No, YOU hold on...people will talk...oh wait...nevermind...

"There are persons who, when they cease to shock us, cease to interest us." ~F.H. Bradley

I'm off to hunt for that Leopard seat. Finding one to actually BUY, is turning into a frustrating quest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemike
    Kick it old school

Photobucket
    The "new" old school Vans suck. I'm talking about the ones made in China. They don't look, feel, or wear the same as their USA old school shoes.

I wear old school (USA) hi-tops when I ride. I also wear the five-tens.

jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0