"Plans would make Prescott prime spot for competitions"- Mtbr.com
    Master Gardener

"Plans would make Prescott prime spot for competitions"

This is interesting.

Some interesting reader comments here: http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Sec...rticleID=58978

Plans would make Prescott prime spot for competitions

By Paula Rhoden
    The Daily Courier

Sunday, September 07, 2008

PRESCOTT - Plans are afoot to make Prescott a Mecca for mountain bike competitions.

Todd Sadow, president of Mountain Bike America plans to ask the Prescott City Council on Tuesday for support of a major competition in April 2009.

The city council meets at 3 p.m. Tuesday at 201 S. Cortez St.

City Manager Steve Norwood said Sadow is scheduled to make a presentation to the city council, and like anything, "he needs a little help from the city. If the city were to participate, we are looking at sometime in April, our 'shoulder season.' Anytime we can get something at this time of year, we should do everything we can to help."

In a phone interview from his office in Tucson, Sadow said the proposed event, the Prescott Mountain Bike Cup, is an expansion on the Whiskey Off-Road. Mountain Bike America has sponsored that event for the past five years.

"This is an opportunity for the Whiskey Off-Road to become a premiere event," Sadow said. "We want to provide a top-notch event that will put Prescott on the map year-round. It would show people that Prescott is a mountain bike town."

Sadow said Prescott has an "astounding amount of trails for bikes and hikers."

Prescott Economic Director Jane Bristol said Sadow's presentation would let city officials know about the event.

She said Mountain Bike America wants to create a bigger event that would draw competitors from throughout Arizona and the rest of the country.

Bristol said Sadow would like the city to be a venue sponsor, providing logistical assistance as well as some financial support.

Sadow said logistical support would include security and street closures.

Bristol estimated the event would draw about 1,400 people to the area, including competitors, media and spectators.

"The competition would happen in April, before the start of our typical tourist season," she said.

Sadow said Prescott is already a great weekend retreat. He said the expanded race would introduce more people to what Prescott has to offer visitors.

The event would run Wednesday through Sunday.

"Studies of comparable events indicate that each participant has a $1,300 to $1,400 economic impact of the community," Sadow said.

A conservative estimates puts the economic impact at $1 million.

Bristol said that after each Whiskey Off-Road event, Mountain Bike America donated to local charities.

"We plan to continue donating to local charities. That is an important component of our event. The only change would be in the size of the donation," Sadow said.

Contact the reporter at prhoden@prescottaz.com

mtbr member
    Yep, just another male testosterone, lycra, and rigid hardtails event .
    SHITBIRD

Master Gardener
    Why, I oughtta!

AKA shitbird
    I bet there will be 29'ers there.........ewwww gross.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here we go again........"Big wheels keep on turnin'"................

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I bet there will be 29'ers there.........ewwww gross.
    You are jealous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bristol estimated the event would draw about 1,400 people to the area, including competitors, media and spectators.

I guess I won't be volunteering to do the head count.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker

I guess I won't be volunteering to do the head count.
    Now don't be so hard on yourself!

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    This is interesting.

Some interesting reader comments here: http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Sec...rticleID=58978
    That's great news for you guys. I used to travel 3 hours to go spend time and money at a NORBA event held every year at Mount Snow in Vermont. History states I even raced it one year and finished 60th in sport for ages 24-34. I was 34 at the time. First year with my new Ti Lightspeed hardtail. Hell they were all hardtails back then.
    Anyway..
    I hope you guys get it, you do have some beautiful trails there.

Let it go Roverbiker....
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    I work with a guy on the Prescott City Council and spoke with him about this today. Funny how some council members are labeled as anti-bike for not going along with every thing the bike folks want.

I will see if I can get some info from him tomorrow about there meeting.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Sadow gave his presentation to the Prescott City Council yesterday. He is wanting $20k from the city to bring the event to Prescott. They are looking at a 4 day event using 50 miles of trails and hope to bring people from across the country to our little town of Prescott. The council must make a decision by the end of the month if they want an event in April of '09.

One big issue is that Sadow would like the city to shut down the streets around Whiskey Row for 4 days to have this event in order to have a central base of operations and a good partying spot.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Jeff

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob
    Sadow gave his presentation to the Prescott City Council yesterday. He is wanting $20k from the city to bring the event to Prescott. They are looking at a 4 day event using 50 miles of trails and hope to bring people from across the country to our little town of Prescott. The council must make a decision by the end of the month if they want an event in April of '09.

One big issue is that Sadow would like the city to shut down the streets around Whiskey Row for 4 days to have this event in order to have a central base of operations and a good partying spot.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Jeff
    wow! that is a bold presentation! I guess Todd is trying to build on the success he has shown with the Whiskey Offroad. Is he proposing a stage race? Its a cool idea, sounds different from anything in the state. And with the multi-day aspect, it would definitely bring money back into the city. Imagine something as big as 24OP but with riders being close to hotels and restaurants.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Master Gardener
    My understanding from talking to friends of Todd's is that he intends for this to be not just the biggest mtn biking event in Arizona... nor in the U.S.... but somehow the biggest event in the world. Very ambitious, indeed. But one thing Todd is very good at is selling himself. He gets things done.

Word on the street is that he clearly won over 5 of 7 Council members last night.

parenting for gnarness
    My understanding from talking to friends of Todd's is that he intends for this to be not just the biggest mtn biking event in Arizona... nor in the U.S.... but somehow the biggest event in the world. Very ambitious, indeed. But one thing Todd is very good at is selling himself. He gets things done.

Word on the street is that he clearly won over 5 of 7 Council members last night.
    i heard he sold them on building an exact replica of the Roman Coliseum, no wait it was the Champ d'Elysees, for the end of the race. there will be chariots and deadly animals too like in Gladiator!!!

If he builds it, I will come. Can't wait for TOWM
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Master Gardener
    I'll come, too. But I sure hope he comes up with a better race course.

Speaking of the Whiskey... where's FixedGearDan been around here lately?

Fragile - must be Italian
    This is great. I love seeing grassroots efforts to put Arizona on top of the MTB map. Hopefully Todd gets this approved. His events are, generally speaking, my favorite MTB events.

I think Todd has also done a smart thing by promoting and participating in the Perimeter Bicycling roadie events. He started doing this a few years back and seems to have borrowed some of what make their events work so well. The Perimeter Bicycling guys put on the most well organized bike events I've ever done...bar none (Tour de Phx, Tour de Tucson, etc).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I'll come, too. But I sure hope he comes up with a better race course.

Speaking of the Whiskey... where's FixedGearDan been around here lately?
    Just lurking! Putting in lots of commuter miles & trying to get the bills paid and spend time with the kids.I think this is an awesome thing we are seeing here in our little town. If your driving around just watch out for a black cross check decked with
    racks & bags.

In the rear with the beer
    From the bits of descriptions on here about the proposed event, I think it would be awesome. Let's hope Prescott sees it that way. I say the whole az community should throw their support behind Todd on this one!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

In the rear with the beer
    From the bits of descriptions on here about the proposed event, I think it would be awesome. Let's hope Prescott sees it that way. I say the whole az community should throw their support behind Todd on this one!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am sure enough positive vibes would go into a new Prescott event that it would be as good or better than than the whiskey. Thats good news cause the whiskey is one of those events every one looks forward to year after year. The whiskey course just keeps getting better and better. We are all rooting for it and waiting to see how this one shakes out.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    The whiskey course just keeps getting better and better. We are all rooting for it and waiting to see how this one shakes out.
    Considering what it was, that is not hard. Look for more improvements, but I'm not sure if they can ever do anything about the 15-30 miles of roads on the course. There are other places where it could be held locally that would keep it mostly singletrack and keep the other aspects.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0