mtbr member
    Jun 2009

planning a day trip, prescott or wickenburg?

i'm flying in from the east coast to visit family in north phoenix in august and looking for a day trip to break things up a little. wickenburg is about 40 miles closer to where i will be staying but i'm assuming prescott has more to offer. if i decided to head up to wickenburg, is there anything to do up there? i remember passing through it about 10 years ago but i don't remember much.

I am Doctor Remulak
    I assume you're talking about riding when you ask is there anything to do up there. If it's riding you're after, Prescott is your best bet. Lots of stuff to ride there. Search the forum for trail info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    I assume you're talking about riding when you ask is there anything to do up there. If it's riding you're after, Prescott is your best bet. Lots of stuff to ride there. Search the forum for trail info.
    thanks. yea actually it would be a combination of riding and maybe walking around the town a bit and grabbing some post ride eats and a beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have not ridden in Wikenburg, but I would def. recomend Prescott, for both trails and after ride eats. The downtown area of Prescott is almost as nice as the trails. There are several bars/rest. that are either original from the 1800's or have been restored and reopened to be like they were. I have only bee to two of them. Food was great at both, and had lots of beer drink selections. The trails, well I think they are some of the best in AZ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    I have not ridden in Wikenburg, but I would def. recomend Prescott, for both trails and after ride eats. The downtown area of Prescott is almost as nice as the trails. There are several bars/rest. that are either original from the 1800's or have been restored and reopened to be like they were. I have only bee to two of them. Food was great at both, and had lots of beer drink selections. The trails, well I think they are some of the best in AZ.
    how bout bike rental shops in prescott?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hopefully someone else can chime in about bike rentals. I am not familiar with all the shops in the Prescott area. I just looked at the back of my trail map, and it says Encore Performance rents bikes. I have never been to that bike shop, can;t say anything about them. Their number is 928-778-7910.

!@#$%&!
    Prescott is bike, food and beer heaven. Wickenburg, not so much. (except for Screamer's drive in) Especially in late summer. You will melt like the wicked witch of the west.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    looks like i'm heading up to prescott for the day. i plan on leaving at about 8am and than finding a bike rental shop and i'll just ask the guys in the shop for a closeby trail. i just want to get out and experience a little. than head back for a few post ride brews and a burger.
    i'll have to google some bike shops up that way.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Try to rent from High Gear or Ironclad, Ed at Southwest Cycles and Sounds might have something single-speed or belt-drive even, but that would be more of a longshot I'd imagine (and he isn't open on weekends).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Try to rent from High Gear or Ironclad, Ed at Southwest Cycles and Sounds might have something single-speed or belt-drive even, but that would be more of a longshot I'd imagine (and he isn't open on weekends).
    yea i just did a quick search and saw ironclad pop up. what's easier to access ironclad or high gear? is it a little cooler in prescott in august compared to the valley? either way it's not going to stop me from riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    yea i just did a quick search and saw ironclad pop up. what's easier to access ironclad or high gear? is it a little cooler in prescott in august compared to the valley? either way it's not going to stop me from riding.
    The valley is at 1500'msl, prescott is at 5000'msl and above (up to just shy of 8000'). Temperature decreases 4.4F for every 1000'.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, Prescott only gets over 100 a few times a year, and cools down much quicker at night.

If I am still around Az in Aug, and you want someone to ride with or show you around a little, I would be happy to. I live just N of Phoenix, and work near Prescott. I do most of my riding and spend as much of my time in Prescott as I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    Yes, Prescott only gets over 100 a few times a year, and cools down much quicker at night.

If I am still around Az in Aug, and you want someone to ride with or show you around a little, I would be happy to. I live just N of Phoenix, and work near Prescott. I do most of my riding and spend as much of my time in Prescott as I can.
    thanks for the open invite. i'll keep it in mind.

No Clue Crew
    Depending on where you are coming from High Gear is right on the way into town. If you take I-17 and 69 you just need to stay right on 69 as you merge with 89. Taking that right will turn into Sheldon and High Gear is not far on the left (south) side of Sheldon. They open earlier than Iron Clad, too.

Just another half mile...
    Not much in the way of riding around Wickenburg except a bunch of loose and sandy horse trails and Dude ranches. As others have indicated, Prescott is a much better choice. Flagstaff, just another hour north, is even better in the summer and is doable as a day trip from Phoenix.

i'm flying in from the east coast to visit family in north phoenix in august and looking for a day trip to break things up a little. wickenburg is about 40 miles closer to where i will be staying but i'm assuming prescott has more to offer. if i decided to head up to wickenburg, is there anything to do up there? i remember passing through it about 10 years ago but i don't remember much.

Members who have read this thread: 0