Closekids.com

Place to practice drops in Phoenix area?

I'm trying to get better at drops and would love a spot to gradually build up some skills in a semi-safe manner. Anything come to mind?
    Gracias!
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

banned
    Mar 2018
    Dreamy draw. Park your car in backwards and head off into the bushes. You’re welcome player

Black and Sticky
    Trail 220 in Phx Mtn Preserve. If you’re standing on Conversation Point looking toward Scottsdale, it’s the trail winding up the hill behind you. It’s in the vicinity of Dreamy Draw. Look at a PMP map. There are only 2 or 3 drops, but they should be good for your purposes.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Comeatmebro View Post
    Dreamy draw. Park your car in backwards and head off into the bushes. You’re welcome player
    Winner
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Top of Natiiomal. Plenty of drops to session

Closekids.com
    Not sure I'm following...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    what part of the valley do you live in, and what kind of drops are you doing now?

Closekids.com
    I'm up in Cave Creek....would love to see something like this at the 12 second mark!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7AyHTAfmQ

Meatbomb
    TrailDoc is your friend...

mtbr member
    Has no-one been to Desert Trails Bike Park out in Mesa?

http://www.mesaparks.com/parks-facil...rt-trails-park

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Top of Natiiomal. Plenty of drops to session
    Yeah. Several drops going down national from the Saddle. All different heights. Find out that you're comfortable practicing on and session it.

mtbr member
    Drops don't seem to be a common trail feature here in Phoenix. The ones on upper National are good, but I don't think I would consider them beginner drops, more like intermediate. Desert Trails has one off the wooden drop on the intermediate trail, but that park feels like a better fit for a dirt jumper.

Gilbert appears to have a MTB skills park planned for an upcoming park located at Queen Creek & Higley. I couldn't find any details on what features it would offer, but maybe someone else can speak to the specifics if they have insight.

Phx sure could use a dedicated skills park for drops and jumps imo.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

Closekids.com
    Thank you Scott...might be what I'm looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeParadise View Post
    I teach mountain bike skills (www.pedaltherapy.com) in the Phoenix area, and in the absence of a legit skills park, it's a challenge to find trail features that have the right progressions. They are often all or nothing, and can have high consequences for failure.

From the Dreamy Draw parking lot (51 and Northern), head north on Trail 100 as if you were going to go through the tunnel under 51. Just before the trail veers left and starts a slight climb towards the tunnel, continue heading east for a couple hundred feet.

On your left will be a dirt hill with a few sharp transitions at the top. This is where I teach skills related to drops. The upside is if you fall, it's just soft dirt.

Another option are the two steep features at the beginning of the Technical Loop in the McDowell Mountain Park. From the Comp Loops parking lot (first left after park entry), the Tech Loop begins on the west side of the parking lot.

The features are marked, and have ride-arounds. Only progress to these when you feel comfortable, as they have high consequence for failure.

Of course, if you're interested in hands on, in-person training, don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck and be safe!

-Scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeParadise View Post
    Agreed.

Do you have any contact info on this? I would love to speak with them to see what they are planning. Or if anyone else does, please reply with info (or PM me).

Agreed. McDowell Mountain Park has had plans for a skills park for several years, but planning is a slow process. If it was built to spec, it would blow away anything in the state. I've attended several Master Plan meetings this year, and have been vocal about the need for the skills park, and what it could do for the park and the area. As of the last meeting, it was officially put on the high priority list, but construction likely wouldn't happen until 2019, I believe.
    I don't have a contact, but know about it as I live nearby. If you go to this page and click on the Master Plan link (2nd one on the list), it will open the PDF for the full plan. Page 56 has a few bullet points about the MTB park plan.

I took the family up to MMP right before the heavy heat and we enjoyed the pump track and wall ride. Thanks for your efforts in voicing the need for this kind of addition, wherever it might finally get built.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

parenting for gnarness
    Start with mastering the technique on curbs. New home constructions can often be a good spot to progress to something slightly bigger. And, build or buy a small ramp.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Elitest thrill junkie
    Loading docks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Loading docks.
    I was actually going to say this too. I scoot around downtown on my dirt jumper on occasion and there's tons of taller and shorter curbs/loading docks to huck off of. Lots of steps to ride down as well. It's actually a lot of fun to ride around all the government buildings and Dbacks stadium on a Saturday or Sunday morning when there's no workday hustle and bustle.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    I was actually going to say this too. I scoot around downtown on my dirt jumper on occasion and there's tons of taller and shorter curbs/loading docks to huck off of. Lots of steps to ride down as well. It's actually a lot of fun to ride around all the government buildings and Dbacks stadium on a Saturday or Sunday morning when there's no workday hustle and bustle.
    So much fun to do on a DJ and a great way to practice drops, manuals and bunny hops. Downtown PHX, ASU/Tempe and Scottsdale Civic Center (watch out for security here) are all excellent spots for some street style. Keep it early morning and you probably won't get any grief.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustySaguaro View Post
    So much fun to do on a DJ and a great way to practice drops, manuals and bunny hops. Downtown PHX, ASU/Tempe and Scottsdale Civic Center (watch out for security here) are all excellent spots for some street style. Keep it early morning and you probably won't get any grief.
    Yep, I never stay in one place for too long as there's always security guards or city police out patrolling. So far, my only run in with a cop was when I had a flat tire and they were stopping to make sure I had everything I needed. Totally blew my mind.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes. Loading docks to flat pavement landings, just like 1997.

The .05 percent
    Ah, 1997. I remember it fondly. So do you RA, most have been a good one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Yes. Loading docks to flat pavement landings, just like 1997.
    I did a lot of cool stuff in 1997

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Ah, 1997. I remember it fondly. So do you RA, most have been a good one?
    One of the best.

Slopesdude04
    Jan 2018
    The mine drop trail off trail 100 right off cave creek rd is a pretty good steep drop to practice drop ins

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comeatmebro View Post
    Is this why there are no doors at the Dreamy Draw bathroom? Seriously people, keep it zipped up and stay classy Phoenix...

mtbr member
    Get some wood and build a 2x8 foot platform. Use the other half of the piece of plywood and make a lead on ramp to get you up on the platform. Ride across the 8 feet and drop off. Now make risers, that adjust, or use pallets to raise the platform. Reposition the ramp and Practice, then raise the platform more, and practice again! Then take the ramp away, and you can practice step ups and again, raise it as you improve.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

No Clue Crew
    Start in the Dreamy Draw parking lot. Head east on T100 to this point and head SOUTH.

At this point there is a series of 3 drops, all rollable, followed by a tight switchback. Continue to follow the trail south and then up a very short climb.

At this point there is another big drop. It's rollable but it's got a beautifully smooth transitional landing so it's easy to jump as short or as far as you want.

When you get back up that little gully take a left and back up T100 to do it again and again. I'd bet even a slow person could do a loop in less than 10 minutes.

Several months ago I ran into a girl with some guy friends riding. They were doing this but she was scared and I told her all the drops have ride arounds and took her down it. By the third loop she was hitting all the drops with no problem and supremely proud of herself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Start in the Dreamy Draw parking lot. Head east on T100 to this point and head SOUTH.

At this point there is a series of 3 drops, all rollable, followed by a tight switchback. Continue to follow the trail south and then up a very short climb.

At this point there is another big drop. It's rollable but it's got a beautifully smooth transitional landing so it's easy to jump as short or as far as you want.

When you get back up that little gully take a left and back up T100 to do it again and again. I'd bet even a slow person could do a loop in less than 10 minutes.

Several months ago I ran into a girl with some guy friends riding. They were doing this but she was scared and I told her all the drops have ride arounds and took her down it. By the third loop she was hitting all the drops with no problem and supremely proud of herself.
    FWIW I believe the strava segment that starts that route is called CHUTES

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post

FWIW I believe the strava segment that starts that route is called CHUTES
    Yes. Chutes starts at my starting point and ends after the switchbacks. It doesn't include what I refer to as the Chutes Drop at the end. And, if you want a better run at it you'll start at Christmas Tree which is 20 or 30 yards north of the starting point up a small hill. It gives you a great lead in to starting Chutes.

mtbr member
    Yes. Chutes starts at my starting point and ends after the switchbacks. It doesn't include what I refer to as the Chutes Drop at the end. And, if you want a better run at it you'll start at Christmas Tree which is 20 or 30 yards north of the starting point up a small hill. It gives you a great lead in to starting Chutes.
    That last switchback requires quite the move to stay on the bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    That last switchback requires quite the move to stay on the bike...
    That last twist has gotten eroded in the last rains. So it is a little more complex, but still rideable on am XC bike with fixed seat post. You just have to get the line right on the first right hander to set up for left hander. Get it right and it flows reasonably well. Get it wrong and you are off.

Now if you want a chunky descent with less drop and more chunk after the swtichback head to the right rather than Big0Mike's left turn and what he calls "Chutes Drop". Good thing about the area is choices.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    That last twist has gotten eroded in the last rains. So it is a little more complex, but still rideable on am XC bike with fixed seat post. You just have to get the line right on the first right hander to set up for left hander. Get it right and it flows reasonably well. Get it wrong and you are off.
    It's gotten more eroded but the last couple rains has actually made it easier. There used to be a tire catcher at the last switchback turn that was difficult to avoid or smoothly ride through or around. I don't even notice it now...

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Now if you want a chunky descent with less drop and more chunk after the swtichback head to the right rather than Big0Mike's left turn and what he calls "Chutes Drop". Good thing about the area is choices.
    That's one of my favorite climbs! I use it as a gauge as to where my fitness level is. Unfortunately, it also gets a reset often with the rain and the "easy" spots get hard and the "hard" spots get easy. The most difficult part of that climb now is the very last left turn as it's gotten really shitty, loose, and trenched in.

I have ridden down it once and it's not bad...

mtbr member
    It's gotten more eroded but the last couple rains has actually made it easier. There used to be a tire catcher at the last switchback turn that was difficult to avoid or smoothly ride through or around. I don't even notice it now....
    That is the thing about errosion out there. I did pretty good ride around and some spots were easier and some where harder. A lot had to do with my "normal line". As you can imagine there are places where I ride to one side of the trail or another and approach features certain ways. It appears harder if I have to change that line or approach, but can appear easier if the rains swept away rocks/features in my normal line.

This why the rains often do a "reset" where things change and is a nice way to make old trails new again. Plus new challenges as what worked before may not work again and you have to learn a new technique.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    I just went out to Chutes today and raked off all the rocks and filled in the ruts with them. Way better now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I just went out to Chutes today and raked off all the rocks and filled in the ruts with them. Way better now.
    Well you forgot the most important thing, using cement to fill in the gaps and level the whole thing out...

mtbr member
    and I just OTB'd in the Chutes on Sat....

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Ruts filled with loose rocks... sounds like a great idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    and I just OTB'd in the Chutes on Sat....
    I've eaten shit just about everywhere out there but the only time OtB on Chutes was that last turn and the rock catcher I mentioned above. Luckily, I just ran off the bike and didn't get entangled in it.

mtbr member

New skills trail with drop zone section at Mcdowell Mtn Park

Name:  Mcdowell skills.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  38.2 KB

Gro-AZ built a new skills trail over the weekend. The trail begins near the pump track and runs along the road. It eventually ties back into the long loop to return. There is a dragons back, teeter-totter, a skinny log and a drop zone at the end. drop zone has a 1, 2 and 3 ft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Does anyone have any locations on the west side like near Surprise, AZ
    LightSport Man AZ MTB & Road Bike Nation
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ligh...ManAZMTBNation

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos View Post

Gro-AZ built a new skills trail over the weekend. The trail begins near the pump track and runs along the road. It eventually ties back into the long loop to return. There is a dragons back, teeter-totter, a skinny log and a drop zone at the end. drop zone has a 1, 2 and 3 ft.
    Can someone please PIN the location please...

mtbr member

wow cool
    Joe

No Clue Crew
    And that's just the beginning. There will be more features as we have time to add them. There's also another 2' ladder drop before the drop zone. I think a couple of us will be going back some time this week and securing those ladder ramps permanently. The future plan is to also build a loop right around the Drop Zone so you can just drop, drop, drop 'til your heart's content.

And the jumps are built into a gulley so there's a nice transitional landing zone and not a huck-to-flat. This makes 3' LOOK a whole lot more serious than it sounds.

And, of course, everything has a ride around.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSportMan View Post
    Can someone please PIN the location please...
    It's at McDowell Mountain Park and starts just a few yards west of the pump track right about here and spits you out right about here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    And that's just the beginning. There will be more features as we have time to add them. There's also another 2' ladder drop before the drop zone. I think a couple of us will be going back some time this week and securing those ladder ramps permanently. The future plan is to also build a loop right around the Drop Zone so you can just drop, drop, drop 'til your heart's content.

And the jumps are built into a gulley so there's a nice transitional landing zone and not a huck-to-flat. This makes 3' LOOK a whole lot more serious than it sounds.

And, of course, everything has a ride around.

It's at McDowell Mountain Park and starts just a few yards west of the pump track right about here and spits you out right about here.
    Would you mind joining and also sharing all this great information in the following group.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ligh...anAZMTBNation/

mtbr member

and the teeter

Name:  teeter.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  26.3 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Still looking for a drop location near the white tanks!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Goat Camp drops everywhere to flat. Sometime you just gotta build your own which is why GROAZ built the drops above with park consent of course.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    We have an upcoming work day as well on Dec. 8th to tidy up some things but the big drops are all anchored in and good to go.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Loading docks.
    True!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just rode up at Cave Creek, Go John had some good stuff that you could kinda send if you wanted to. Awesome riding up there need to get up there more often.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Really nice work!

I found that the tight right hand turn into the 1' drop made it impossible for me to get enough speed to do a drop, so I practiced wheelie drops on that ramp. The 2' and 3' drops are great. I launched off the drops, rolled up the other side of the wash, stopped, then pushed my bike back up the wash to do the drops over and over. Now, I want a 4' drop! Or, gulp!, I need to practice wheelie drops on the 2' and 3' drops.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Really nice work!

I found that the tight right hand turn into the 1' drop made it impossible for me to get enough speed to do a drop, so I practiced wheelie drops on that ramp. The 2' and 3' drops are great. I launched off the drops, rolled up the other side of the wash, stopped, then pushed my bike back up the wash to do the drops over and over. Now, I want a 4' drop! Or, gulp!, I need to practice wheelie drops on the 2' and 3' drops.
    We will be berming that turn this weekend. Feel free to join on the maintenance on the 8th. Trails don't build themselves! visit groaz.org