Pinal Peak closing 5/20 for fire danger- Mtbr.com
    Skinny legged XC geek

Pinal Peak closing 5/20 for fire danger

Thanks for the pics from yesterday's riding EvH. Great trails up there. Unfortunately, the season is over after May 20. This is the first fire prevention closure of the year. It was mentioned in the news story about the fire fighting tanker contracts being canceled and the governor's office trying to resurrect the program.

This means this coming weekend is your last shot for a long while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone up for a last ride in Globe this weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would be up for it. If on Sat

edit***Maybe Sunday too will have to check with the boss****
    Last edited by Ironbar; 05-12-2004 at 09:28 AM.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    Thanks for the pics from yesterday's riding EvH. Great trails up there. Unfortunately, the season is over after May 20. This is the first fire prevention closure of the year. It was mentioned in the news story about the fire fighting tanker contracts being canceled and the governor's office trying to resurrect the program.

haha, the governer isn't going to have much to say about the FAA decisions and NTSB recommendations unfortunatly. They are going to try and supplument with some current-military planes and possibly some canadians, but the FAA went ahead and shut all of it down, even firebomber companies with good saftey records. It definitely stinks, just the other day we had 2 of them flying in and out of here. We got one of the helicoptors too, but it wouldn't come close to the capacity of the big ole DC6s and others.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

caninus xerophilous

Sounds like a good idea...

..riding before the shutdown.

I am free Sunday. Have Tahoe, will shuttle.

Louis

Saucy Size

I may be in

Just reinstalled a tubeless system on The Stinkster and she wants to go fast. I may be in for a Sunday jaunt at my favorite mountain. Shall we say 8 a.m. at the usual place?

Now we hold our breath all summer long and hope Pinal doesn't go up in smoke.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sunday works for me. Anyone coming from the PHX area that wants to carpool?

I am Doctor Remulak
    It's a possibility, I'll try to fit it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Just reinstalled a tubeless system on The Stinkster and she wants to go fast. I may be in for a Sunday jaunt at my favorite mountain. Shall we say 8 a.m. at the usual place?

Now we hold our breath all summer long and hope Pinal doesn't go up in smoke.

p.

caninus xerophilous

Bigger Fire Bombers in testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    haha, the governer isn't going to have much to say about the FAA decisions and NTSB recommendations unfortunatly. They are going to try and supplument with some current-military planes and possibly some canadians, but the FAA went ahead and shut all of it down, even firebomber companies with good saftey records. It definitely stinks, just the other day we had 2 of them flying in and out of here. We got one of the helicoptors too, but it wouldn't come close to the capacity of the big ole DC6s and others.

Out at Evergreen Aviation they have been feasability testing one of their 747's as a fire bomber. Pretty cool watching the beheamoth's slow low level passes. It has us wondering how stable that would be over a fire on a mountain. But I guess it would carry a meaningful load.

What a load!

Louis

EvH
    Ah...The good ol' days

Bummer....

Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ

Thanks for the info.
    The rangers did not mention that when we were in the station. But driving up there you could see how dry the area is. They were thining out the trees at the top so if anyone needs any firewood there is a TON. Not sure what the firewood permit process is though.
    I'm glad we finally made it up when we did!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

747 with water on board doing low level air work?!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Out at Evergreen Aviation they have been feasability testing one of their 747's as a fire bomber. Pretty cool watching the beheamoth's slow low level passes. It has us wondering how stable that would be over a fire on a mountain. But I guess it would carry a meaningful load.

What a load!

Louis
    Could ya send me a private message or post here when they are going to be doing the low level flight testing again? I'd fly down to (I am assuming) Avra Valley to see that!

It seems to me that a 747 would make a decent bomber as it has great climb ability when empty and carries a huge load.

Jm.
    mtbr member

What a load!

Louis
    yeah, supposedly it's working out, and they can carry far far more than anything else, but all it takes is one crash of those things and I don't think we'd see anymore.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

caninus xerophilous

The grounding news had us wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    yeah, supposedly it's working out, and they can carry far far more than anything else, but all it takes is one crash of those things and I don't think we'd see anymore.
    ....if the grounding of the present force of fire bombers was a direct result of the Evergreen 747 meeting the fire bomber requirments. Evergreen is huge organization with a lot of politcal pull and they are scrapping many comercial liners, that since 9/11 have been deemed surplus.

Louis

caninus xerophilous

Let's do it.

Shall we say 8 a.m. at the usual place?
    p.
    Firm it up dude. The more the merrier, CJ is in and I have feelers out to some other local heros of Tucson dirt.

Louis

Saucy Size
    Firm it up dude. The more the merrier, CJ is in and I have feelers out to some other local heros of Tucson dirt.

Louis
    It's firm. I'm putting out some low-level feelers. Wouldn't mind if this trip wasn't a logistical circus, though.

See you Sunday,

p.

caninus xerophilous

Be there or be....

It's firm. I'm putting out some low-level feelers. Wouldn't mind if this trip wasn't a logistical circus, though.

See you Sunday,

p.
    someplace else.

I am locked in for an 8 AM parking lot rendezvous. I'll be bringing the decadent bike hauler with room for up to six or seven bikes. A few Tucson folks will likely be showing up as well. The more people, the more vehicles, the more shuttling options.

Louis

MFC
    mtbr member
    You guys don't know me, but would anyone have room to shuttle one more up the hill? I missed the big Globe blowout last month due to bike problems and now it looks like this is the last shot for a while. Unfortunately I don't have a vehicle that will shuttle bikes, but I would be happy to chip in some cash for gas.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by MFC
    You guys don't know me, but would anyone have room to shuttle one more up the hill? I missed the big Globe blowout last month due to bike problems and now it looks like this is the last shot for a while. Unfortunately I don't have a vehicle that will shuttle bikes, but I would be happy to chip in some cash for gas.
    As they say: grass, cash, or ass. I'm sure there'll be room in one of the trucks.

p.

MFC
    mtbr member
    As they say: grass, cash, or ass. I'm sure there'll be room in one of the trucks.

p.
    Thanks! I'll be there. But l'll stick with the cash option for now

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm in. Cash.

Drugstore Trailrider

I'm Your Huckleberry...

See you guys at 8AM. Cash only, thanks.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Members who have read this thread: 0