Pinal Mt - Globe, AZ: Six Shooter 5/24/09- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901

    Pinal Mt - Globe, AZ: Six Shooter 5/24/09

    Paul B. and I split from Tempe around 5:30, and meet up with Mr. and Mrs. Chollaball, Liteandfast, and Maadjurguer in Globe, AZ at 7:00 for a little pedal up to the top of Pinal Mt. and ride down Six Shooter.

    A sign on the way into town said 65 degrees, heck yeah! So that meant as we climb the 4,000 vf up to the top, the temps would remain pretty steady even as the temps back in town went up for the day. We actually had a few light rain drops on the way up, but they soon passed.

    The six of us organically split up into pairs according to pace,and we managed 17 mile pedal up in around 3 hours. We were only passed by one car on the way up (Latedrop and his crew), which amazed me for a holiday weekend.

    We split from the top of Six Shooter around 10:30, and bombed down some sweet, sweet trail. The recent rains left the trails in primo condition. And thanks to the trail maintenance to the doods on MTBR, we only had one downed tree to deal with.

    We took our time heading down, and did a little sessioning on some of features this trail has to offer. No major mechanicals, other than a flat, and no major crashes, just a few minor spills.

    We managed to get back to the car around 12:30, and the temps down there were beginning to get a little toasty. Not bad!

    Great day on the trail.

    Here's a vid of the day:
    Last edited by u2metoo; 05-25-2009 at 10:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,844
    Niiiice! Great vid! And great to meet all you guys and gals and put mtbr's names to faces. You all were ripping in that vid. It was funny how slappy you all were at the top of the climb... But it didn't look like it wore you out for the down section. Love the google map video at the beginning. Hopefully I should have my video of the dh crew up in a bit. Six shooter Rulez!!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814
    Nice vid Sam. Thats great J that your wifey is out riding. Bummer Mr lite & fast got a bath. Good job guys.
    SHITBIRD

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    It was funny how slappy you all were at the top of the climb... But it didn't look like it wore you out for the down section. Love the google map video at the beginning. Hopefully I should have my video of the dh crew up in a bit. Six shooter Rulez!!!
    Thanks man! Yeah, I know I looked a little punch drunk at the top. Man, that was a lot fun!

  5. #5
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    899

    I was wearing the blue shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Nice vid Sam. Thats great J that your wifey is out riding. Bummer Mr lite & fast got a bath. Good job guys.

    Great ride Sam and others. Cool vid.

    Helimech - That wasn't me falling in the stream. James got a little wet from that but not much.

    Good food afterwards too. burrito ....
    I need to ride more and work less.

  6. #6
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,340
    I just got my arse wet....felt kinda nice, really. After watching that video and seeing where I hung my front wheel up...I've gotta go and do that again (without the bath). Paul B.was right....I was dreaming of that trail last night and can't wait to do it again.




  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    198
    Looks like a lot of fun. Great Ride! I hate U2 though...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Great ride Sam and others. Cool vid.

    Helimech - That wasn't me falling in the stream. James got a little wet from that but not much.

    Good food afterwards too. burrito ....
    OOPS sorry Dave, won't happen again .
    SHITBIRD

  9. #9
    I, Mudd
    Reputation: hfy108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    213
    Great video! I've gotta get me a cam like that. This is a ride I'd really like to do.
    "Because I was profiling and it looked stolen.
    90% of everything in my neighborhood is stolen." - Me

  10. #10
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,240

    Some pics of Sam!

    Nice vid! your new toys are a cool enhancement to your vids! Thanks y'all for a fun day. Nice to meet you Bob, yeah we were punchy at the top. Some pics below.

    More pics and blah blah on my blah blahg: https://chollaball.net/blog/2009/05/...issitudes.html


    2009_0524_6shooter_06_blog

    2009_0524_6shooter_14_blog


    2009_0524_6shooter_05_blog

    2009_0524_6shooter_15_blog

    2009_0524_6shooter_16_blog
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    I hate U2 though...
    me too!

  12. #12
    Sup?
    Reputation: honemastert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    639
    @ Sam! Nice video.. you integrated the GoPro well, much better than my weak, non editing effort from last weekend!

    It's hard to stop and get footage on that trail.. just too much fun to blast down!

    @ CB Dude, Becky rocked it.. nice kneepad carnage there!? Everytime I think I'm gonna ride that thing sans body armor, something happens that makes me glad I take it.

    The last ride was no exception.. I knocked the wind out of myself by landing on a boulder (see clockworks photo in the 'Camping in the Pinals' thread)

    So the Heckler did well I take it!? The Turner frigging rocked last weekend, found myself going fast, almost too fast at times.

  13. #13
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    You people and your photo ops! THERE IS NO STOPPING ON SIX SHOOTER.

    But then you don't get into any of the nice group shots. :-(

    Awesome riding with y'all! Can't wait to do it again.

    p.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by honemastert
    @ Sam! Nice video.. you integrated the GoPro well, much better than my weak, non editing effort from last weekend!

    It's hard to stop and get footage on that trail.. just too much fun to blast down!
    Thanks man, I think even my helmet cam shots ran a little long. I need to put more text/titles to keep viewers interest, but they take so dang long for me to do.

    For me they are kinda hard, because I gotta dream up sumpin to say, find the right place to put it, make sure its visable, and my poor laptop crashes on about every title I do because it doesn't have enough horsepower to digest the info.


    And you are right, it is just so dang easy to fly down this trail. Getting footage definetly takes a back seat to ripping.


    Quote Originally Posted by honemastert
    @ CB Dude, Becky rocked it.. nice kneepad carnage there!? Everytime I think I'm gonna ride that thing sans body armor, something happens that makes me glad I take it.

    The last ride was no exception.. I knocked the wind out of myself by landing on a boulder (see clockworks photo in the 'Camping in the Pinals' thread)

    So the Heckler did well I take it!? The Turner frigging rocked last weekend, found myself going fast, almost too fast at times.
    Luckily nobody got banged up. The trail conditions were the best I've seen, but the pine needles tend to be a little slippery.

  15. #15
    dirt debutaunte
    Reputation: jean-louey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    169
    Great video u2me2, and nice ride report on your blog Jason.

    Haven't made it out there yet, and while I'd like to think I'd ride the uphill, I'd probably follow Bob's lead and shuttle. 17 miles up a dirt road...yikes. Are there any trails that would be good for at least parts of the climb?

  16. #16
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Actually...yes.

    Sundog has ridden most (all?) of Six Shooter UP. Probably a lot of it is decent -- not super-steep, a little techie, certainly more interesting than the road grind. I think you could make an excellent all-day epic out of riding up Six, grabbing some lunch, then heading down Ice House or something.

    There are only a couple spots on Six I'm quite certain everyone would have to walk. Dunno how long the total ascent would be; presumably it'd take more time than the road.

    p.

  17. #17
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    After several trips to Globe the last two years and always shuttling, Lostboyz and I decided to do the pedal thang. Went up there yesterday (Monday) parked at the bottom, started at about 11 and rode the road up to the top and back down sixshooter / check dam. That's quite a ride up that road!

    Good stuff though!
    JRA

  18. #18
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,154
    Looks sweet! I'd like to say I'd be able to climb the road up but holy jeez does that sound like a haul. I'm not a real good climber stamina wise though. Can anyone compare the road climb up to say Elden/Schultz at least grade wise? Is it fairly similar or not quite as "steep"?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lostboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    562
    That road would be certain death with out an MP3 player
    DDKS

  20. #20
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    After several trips to Globe the last two years and always shuttling, Lostboyz and I decided to do the pedal thang. Went up there yesterday (Monday) parked at the bottom, started at about 11 and rode the road up to the top and back down sixshooter / check dam. That's quite a ride up that road!

    Good stuff though!
    wow! you left at 11 - you must have been roasting! good job!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Paul B. and I split from Tempe around 5:30, and meet up with Mr. and Mrs. Chollaball, Liteandfast, and Maadjurguer in Globe, AZ at 7:00 for a little pedal up to the top of Pinal Mt. and ride down Six Shooter.

    A sign on the way into town said 65 degrees, heck yeah! So that meant as we climb the 4,000 vf up to the top, the temps would remain pretty steady even as the temps back in town went up for the day. We actually had a few light rain drops on the way up, but they soon passed.

    The six of us organically split up into pairs according to pace,and we managed 17 mile pedal up in around 3 hours. We were only passed by one car on the way up (Latedrop and his crew), which amazed me for a holiday weekend.

    We split from the top of Six Shooter around 10:30, and bombed down some sweet, sweet trail. The recent rains left the trails in primo condition. And thanks to the trail maintenance to the doods on MTBR, we only had one downed tree to deal with.

    We took our time heading down, and did a little sessioning on some of features this trail has to offer. No major mechanicals, other than a flat, and no major crashes, just a few minor spills.

    We managed to get back to the car around 12:30, and the temps down there were beginning to get a little toasty. Not bad!

    Great day on the trail.

    Here's a vid of the day:
    Great stuff Sam. I love the visual at the beginning. Even though I rode (walked?) that trail once, I recognize almost every inch in that video.

    By the way, you going to the U2 concert in Oct?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  22. #22
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Looks sweet! I'd like to say I'd be able to climb the road up but holy jeez does that sound like a haul. I'm not a real good climber stamina wise though. Can anyone compare the road climb up to say Elden/Schultz at least grade wise? Is it fairly similar or not quite as "steep"?
    It's basically like climbing Elden Lookout Road three times in a row, except you don't start or end as high so there's more air to breathe.

    p.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Great stuff Sam. I love the visual at the beginning. Even though I rode (walked?) that trail once, I recognize almost every inch in that video.

    By the way, you going to the U2 concert in Oct?
    Thank Skinny.

    Yeppers, got tickets way, way, way, way, way, way, way in the back.

  24. #24
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    wow! you left at 11 - you must have been roasting! good job!

    Actually it wasn't too bad, nice breeze. I was wishing I had some lighter tires on my bike though. 2.5 DH tires are heavy and slow rollin.
    JRA

  25. #25
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Yeah, you kind of have to rethink your bike choice if you're riding to the top. I pedaled my Stinky up a couple times, a few years back, and I was totally blown out at the top.

    Huge credit to you guys for making it to the top under your own power! Hell of an accomplishment.

    p.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    What an incredible video! Looking forward to your next.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Yeppers, got tickets way, way, way, way, way, way, way in the back.
    Us too. I think we're about as far (and high) away from the stage as possible.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  28. #28
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    You people and your photo ops! THERE IS NO STOPPING ON SIX SHOOTER.
    What do you mean "you people"?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  29. #29
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    What do you mean "you people"?
    Oh. Sorry. Let me clarify:

    YOU SHORT PEOPLE.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Actually it wasn't too bad, nice breeze. I was wishing I had some lighter tires on my bike though. 2.5 DH tires are heavy and slow rollin.
    Been there, done that. Riding up that friggin mt. on a 40 lbs bike is NNNNOOOO fun.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Us too. I think we're about as far (and high) away from the stage as possible.
    Coolio!

    Yeah, we missed you this time around. How's the rehab going?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Digging up an old post...I have been looking for serious downhilling in Arizona lately. I am comfortable enough with my technical ability and aerobic endurance to tackle a trail like Six Shooter. I have the skills, but I dont know if I have the equipment.

    I have been riding the same hardtail Trek that I started on 2 years ago. I've riden trails that have back-to-back drops of a couple feet. No problem handling the impact and, aside from a bent wheel or popped spoke here and there, have had no structural damage to my bike.

    But from your awesome videos Six Shooter Trail looks like some next level stuff... Have any of you ridden it on a hardtail? Is it manageable? I'm not what you all would consider a seasoned rider but i do have skills, and i have the stones to make up for what i lack in ability.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Strongbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    153
    Holy old post Batman! 6 Shooter is a smooth dirt single track trail which a hard tail would do just fine on. If you're looking for "back to back drops of a couple feet" you don't need to leave the valley. Go hit up South Mountain! National, Mormon, Holbert, Geronimo, etc. are all crazy trails. Enjoy!
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks!

    I've been down SoMo, Pemberton... but I want to get out of the desert. I need a change of scenery. I want some dirt and pines, no more dust and cacti. I know I might be a little limited by my lack of rear susp., but I'm looking for high speeds, big air, scary technicality.

    From the videos, photos, and blogs of the above posters i got the impression that 6 Shooter was just that.

    Quote from ChollaBall's blog on the trail-
    "The transition from super-steep muddy jumps to super-tight off-camber leaves to rocky stream crossings to rolling rocky manzanita groves always blows my mind on this trail. Each strata is so intense but the segways all natural, and the descent so steep, you blink and suddenly are in another mini ecosystem.

    any other trails you know of that match such a description?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Strongbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    153
    There are lots of options. Sunrise has lift accessible trails. Pinal Mountain has a couple good trails, there's Mingus, Sedona, and Flagstaff with some fun stuff. There's Angelfire in NM and Bootleg in NV that have some awesome trails as well. Your best bet would be to call a local bike shop near those areas and ask for the local advice. You can also hit up gnargnartours.com. They shuttle people up SoMo and all over the state. Have fun!
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    126
    It wont play for me.I wish I could see it it must be good

  37. #37
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    A heads up ...The pinals in the summer past middle of July is HOT it is not recomended for those that are not famiular with the pinals. While the top starts of somewhat bearable once you get to the HAB the temps start cooking you. It gets even worse once you get to the lower portion and depending on where you plan to end ,it can be wicked hot below and not the place to get on the wrong path or trail.

    Also this time of year it is very easy to get caught up in severe storms as the move in quick and usually dump tremendous amounts of rain in a short time.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Strongbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    153
    Heh, ain't that the truth! I went up a few weeks ago and the ride started real nice up top, the HAB was hot, but the speed made the rest bearable. At the bottom, we had total cloud cover and thunderstorms, and the ride back to the top provided rain and HAIL. Crazy stuff. Overall though, if you're used to riding in the valley during the summer, the Pinals aren't any worse.
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

  39. #39
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    I beg to differ man. At least down here your chances of getting help are like 150% better than up there. Seriously if you get dropped off up top have mechanicals flats or worse yet hurt yourself on the way down especially if your still 4 miles up the mountain you will find that is a much bigger deal .

    If you look through the years of pinal mountain posts you will see no one runs them in the mid summer. People thought I was crazy doing so last year and many will atest they were plenty hot unless we got some cloud cover.

    Whatwever the OP does the buddy system is a must for rides like this IMO .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondave View Post
    It wont play for me.I wish I could see it it must be good
    There is a link in the dude's signature line to his blog. You can see the video there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.