Pigs Tail.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pigs Tail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Pigs Tail.

We rode a couple of laps on Pigs Tail today and it's pretty freaking sweet! A couple more runs and I think I can get all of the transitions, there is one I'm not so sure about. Super fun, imho Sedona's best rip right now! Thanks Dean!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Pig tail is pretty sick. There's one sharp left turn that always throws me off, where if you keep going straight you end up on one of the Hogs. I've run into hikers the past couple times though which is a bit of a bummer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm going back today to try and get it dialed. I think I could be happy just lapping it over and over.

mtbr member
    How bout that last gap toward's the end with the hole dug in the ground? That's one that you've got to commit too. I just ride around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Im unimpressed...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    How bout that last gap toward's the end with the hole dug in the ground? That's one that you've got to commit too. I just ride around it.
    I didn't see a big gap just a small table to transition/into the hole but then there is another lip after that and I haven't carried enough speed to pop it and make the next transition. I am learning that everything can be hit and matched with good transition it just takes practice. It may not be perfect......yet, but these trails rarely are at first and they progress and develop over time. I sure am having fun learning it.

mtbr member
    I didn't like that one. It seemed as the dirt used to build the jump is what created the hole. I've hit it and fell short, it wasn't fun.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Multiple Lines Rock
    given how loose it is;I'd love to see those jump gaps filled as tabletops - like on an A line at a gravity park...makes committing a no penalty decision..but thats a hard location geographicaly to get any kind of equipment in there and that would be a large and tough human undertaking to backfill- several of those can use it - for a older and noobish dh'er

and yeah,I've missed the leftish turn and it just turned into hog too..good place for a cairn or a brown marker..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    given how loose it is;I'd love to see those jump gaps filled as tabletops - like on an A line at a gravity park...makes committing a no penalty decision..but thats a hard location geographicaly to get any kind of equipment in there and that would be a large and tough human undertaking to backfill- several of those can use it - for a older and noobish dh'er

and yeah,I've missed the leftish turn and it just turned into hog too..good place for a cairn or a brown marker..
    I don't think I saw a single gap on that whole trail and with all of the hits you can come up short without any issues. Maybe we are riding different trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I don't think I saw a single gap on that whole trail and with all of the hits you can come up short without any issues. Maybe we are riding different trails?
    It's not a gap. It just a jump with a 6' long pit behind it; I am assuming where the dirt to build the jump came from. It's a nice mud hole this time of year.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    When in doubt Stay Left, and yes there are no gaps unless you over shoot the big hole and land on the flat beyond the hole.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post

No tables necessary, not a bike park. Learn to jump, gotta take the training wheels off sometime
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    When in doubt Stay Left, and yes there are no gaps unless you over shoot the big hole and land on the flat beyond the hole.
    Huh, I thought the idea was to clear the hole...
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Huh, I thought the idea was to clear the hole...
    How is that working for you?

I just got off the phone with the pool company who built Acrophobe's Poi Pond and the hole for the Pig Tail table top. They indicated the ground was too dry to keep digging and they stopped construction so you need to ride that spot at 1/3 speed.

When the project is completed the top of the table will be about 1.8 times longer than it currently is, so until that happens you need to hit it slower. If a volunteer group wants to help with the enlargement project during a wet period, let me know and I will contact the builder. It is too big a project for one person.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 11-13-2011 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member

I just got off the phone with the pool company who built Acrophobe's Poi Pond and the hole for the Pig Tail table top. They indicated the ground was too dry to keep digging and they stopped construction so you need to ride that spot at 1/3 speed.

When the project is completed the top of the table will be about 1.8 times longer than it currently is, so until that happens you need to hit it slower. If a volunteer group wants to help with the enlargement project during a wet period, let me know and I will contact the builder. It is too big a project for one person.

TD
    The first time I tried it worked out great. The second time I fell just short and hit my rear tire on the lip of the hole. Made a nice cut in the side-wall really close to the bead. It's not a trail I frequent, only been on it twice.

If I hadn't just finished a project that required me to dig 2'x2' holes 4' deep I'd buy that it was too dry to dig. Something smells fishy- maybe it's the pond by the "tabletop" or that somebody got tired of building jumps.

I sure hope that between all the trail work volunteering and giving people sh*t on here you can get out and enjoy the tacky trails. We don't get dirt this nice all of the time, you know...
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

TD
    I would like to work on that trail, lots of sections need to be improved, I would not call it done.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I would like to work on that trail, lots of sections need to be improved, I would not call it done.
    WHEN??????????? I think it would be nice to have a wheel barrow for that project. I have one we used on the Tea Cup re-route project you could borrow if that would help.

TD

shred my gnar
    love that trail as well... last season we would frequently hit that up after any rides on that side of town. 4-5 laps usually does the trick although i think weve done up to 10. super fun little trail.

didnt imba have something to do with it?

how fun would that be if it was a mile or 2 long and was the payoff after a long, world class sedona climb??? ... hmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    WHEN??????????? I think it would be nice to have a wheel barrow for that project. I have one we used on the Tea Cup re-route project you could borrow if that would help.

TD
    I will have lots of time after Thanksgiving and I agree that a wheel barrow and a few strong hands is needed. There is a lot of improvements we can make and it would be super fun.

Multiple Lines Rock
    count me in

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    love that trail as well... last season we would frequently hit that up after any rides on that side of town. 4-5 laps usually does the trick although i think weve done up to 10. super fun little trail.

didnt imba have something to do with it?
    I think IMBA made a cameo appearance one day on the trail. Then they went over and checked out the unbelievable build on Highline. Fat Tire Dave got the initial approval from the FS and there were a number of volunteers who worked on it, but the recently featured Bike Magazine Bike Doc spent the most time out there doing the heavy lifting.

Conditions were PERFECT today on the lower south facing stuff in the Red Rock Crossing area. The NEW trail improvement drop on Special Ed is working well, thanks to whoever put that in. Looks like someone started a new route on Secret Slickrock to bypass that impossible climb that all the hardcore types can't ride uphill.

Sketch looks like it had a couple improvements made on it. I actually cleaned it (after a long dry period) for the first time today w/o resting-- yahoo.

What a country!

TD

TD

"No Clue Crew"
    I have got to get up there and ride Sedona. Sounds like lots of fun stuff but all I have ever ridden is Highline.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rick, let me know. I can show you guys around, no problem.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Rick, let me know. I can show you guys around, no problem.
    I will definetely be taking you up on that offer.