DFL>DNF>DNS

Picketpost ride: 11/26

If anyone wants to join a few other riders out at Picketpost this Sat, come on out. The plan is to meet at the trailhead and start riding at 8am. We will be heading south in hopes of finding the 'new' end-of-trail. Shouldn't be a blazing speed, since I don't/can't do that. Depending on how much (if any) new trail has been built the ride should be at least 31 miles with a good amount of climbing. If I were to guess, I'd say more in the 35-40 mile range.

Directions to TH: US60 east, go over Gonzales Pass and see the big mountain right in front of you - that's Picketpost Mtn. Go down the backside of the pass for a little over a mile & look for the big brown sign on the right for the Picketpost Trailhead. Turn right, go to the 'T', turn left & follow into the trailhead parking.

Here's a little stoke from my last ride out there in May:

My Two Schillingsworth: Picketpost - End of Trail
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    If anyone wants to join a few other riders out at Picketpost this Sat, come on out. The plan is to meet at the trailhead and start riding at 8am. We will be heading south in hopes of finding the 'new' end-of-trail. Shouldn't be a blazing speed, since I don't/can't do that. Depending on how much (if any) new trail has been built the ride should be at least 31 miles with a good amount of climbing. If I were to guess, I'd say more in the 35-40 mile range.

Directions to TH: US60 east, go over Gonzales Pass and see the big mountain right in front of you - that's Picketpost Mtn. Go down the backside of the pass for a little over a mile & look for the big brown sign on the right for the Picketpost Trailhead. Turn right, go to the 'T', turn left & follow into the trailhead parking.

Here's a little stoke from my last ride out there in May:

My Two Schillingsworth: Picketpost - End of Trail

I would like to do this, but I'll be riding all day Friday with a bunch of pigs and will be sleeping in Saturday.

Interested to hear how far this trail has progressed - and how the catclaw is.
    The trail is "supposed" to be complete to Florence/Kelvin road by next year - and that ain't far away.

--Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That is a great invite! I have some family things I will try and shuffle... we'll see.

That trail is on this Winter's bucket list.

Thanks
    Dan

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I should mention for those who have not been out to the trail, that this is an out-n-back ride. Turnaround points a plenty.

Jeff: I really wanted to do the FotP ride this year, but the wife has to work on Thurs. so Friday is our turkey day. I've taken the challenge upon myself to do a solo Flight of the Turkey ride on Thurs. Have fun out there Friday!
    My Two Schillingsworth

My other ride is your mom
    I may be there....

Carnivore
    I may be there.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I shall be there.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    In.

Carnivore
    Gila Monster,

Funny if we both show up. The last time I was at PP mtn. (camped on other side on Telegraph rd.) I saw 3 gila monsters in one weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    In.
    Sweet. Its been a while!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    stupid black thursday thru monday,, i wanted to ride this place...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    Gila Monster,

Funny if we both show up. The last time I was at PP mtn. (camped on other side on Telegraph rd.) I saw 3 gila monsters in one weekend.
    That would be great!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Sweet. Its been a while!
    It has. Missed riding with you guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Put me down as a possible. I get off of work at 6:30 that morning
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Holy shyt, Joe. I thought the critters got you, haven't seen you about in a while.

I may be in, haven't ridden PP in a while, always a fun ride.

Carnivore
    I'll probably be camping out there somewhere with my family. Have you guys ridden the AZT north of the hwy? Looks like there might be a camping spot fairly near the trail in Rice Water Canyon. I don't like camping near the highway or where there will be a bunch of yahoos on atv's coming through camp. We are also thinking of hiking PP mtn. I have heard the trail is fairly exposed and I'm wondering if it is doable by a dog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll probably be camping out there somewhere with my family. Have you guys ridden the AZT north of the hwy? Looks like there might be a camping spot fairly near the trail in Rice Water Canyon. I don't like camping near the highway or where there will be a bunch of yahoos on atv's coming through camp. We are also thinking of hiking PP mtn. I have heard the trail is fairly exposed and I'm wondering if it is doable by a dog.

Hiking PP mtn does offer exposure once you get higher up, lots of rock scrambling, I don't think its doggable, although I could be wrong. But, it's definitely not "just a trail".

AZT north of 60 is a blast. 2beerjoe and I rode it coming down from the top of Montana Mtn, going south. You should be able to find someplace to camp, and I don't recall or seeing any atv type behavior near the trail.

We are also thinking of hiking PP mtn. I have heard the trail is fairly exposed and I'm wondering if it is doable by a dog.
    Not dog friendly. Tried it last year before I knew what it was about, and we made it about 1/3 of the way up, then the terrain just got silly. Hikeable by people, hand-over-foot style, but with a dog that's not built like a mountain goat, it is not advisable. I didn't even have to make the choice for the dogs. They kinda said "The hell with that!", and decided to head back down. I concurred and followed.

mtbr member
    Penciled in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not dog friendly. Tried it last year before I knew what it was about, and we made it about 1/3 of the way up, then the terrain just got silly. Hikeable by people, hand-over-foot style, but with a dog that's not built like a mountain goat, it is not advisable. I didn't even have to make the choice for the dogs. They kinda said "The hell with that!", and decided to head back down. I concurred and followed.
    Sounds like a job for Bicuit the Climbing Dog.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I will be there, how bad is the cats claw and any preparation needed to be ready for it?

Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post
    Penciled in.
    Use a pen!

Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb View Post
    I will be there, how bad is the cats claw and any preparation needed to be ready for it?
    Probably bad-ish, especially after the jeep road. Bring tall socks or my new favorite that I saw on here somewhere - duct-taped cardboard strapped to your shins. Homebrewed and you'll have some clams on proper shin guards! I might just take the Jesus approach myself and relish in the pain and let it deliver me from my mortal coil.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb View Post
    Through much trial and error, I have found that drinking 10 oz. of Stans the night before usually does the trick. Any more than that, and you can't pee for a week.

mtbr member
    what does this trail have in the way of techy compared to what? Also, a lot of climbing was mentioned. are the climbs mostly long and sustained, or is there a climb drop rhythm (relief). my bike is heavy
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lots of ins and outs and up and downs. Similar to BCT I would say with a bunch more cat claw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    what does this trail have in the way of techy compared to what? Also, a lot of climbing was mentioned. are the climbs mostly long and sustained, or is there a climb drop rhythm (relief). my bike is heavy
    There might be only a few very brief spots that could be considered even marginally tech. It's a very fun, scenic trail, very flowy- especially heading back north. The climbs are for the most part long and sustained, I don't recall anything being particularly steep. Heavy will work against you, but still very worth the effort to experience. I haven't ridden any section of AZT yet that wasn't well done.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Some of us refer to this trail as BCT East, the grades are good for climbing although the handful of switchbacks are rather tight. There's not a whole bunch of what I consider tech, but there are a few spots, more so than the BCT. The first part of the trail is mostly uphill, but it does offer some breaks in the climbing. Around mile 9 there's a good size effort, but again it's ridable. My bike isn't the lightest on the block, 32lbs & I don't have a problem with it.

It's an out-n-back ride, so you could always come check it out and go as far as you're able. My first ride out there I went about 5.5 miles out, there's a great overlook at that spot.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What a spectacular ride!! I thought the climb in about 10 miles before turning back was challanging and fun but the 1.5-2 hours downhill roller coaster ride back to the trailhead was a bonus I am glad I experienced! PP is a top ten group ride for me for sure. Glad I had shin protection and long sleeves I was on the flat black Specialized Epic Marathon for those that were in the group today. Oh yeah, Brian was my name. I am game for that ride again anytime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Wow!!! That was freaking AWESOME!!! Thanks for putting it on John. I want to get out and do that trail again sooner than later. To bad I did not hang to the end with you, Seron and Sam. I wanted to see what was at the end of that rainbow. I am sure you guys will have some good stories to tell. It was a pleasure to meet all you guys. Your a great bunch of strong riders. We will have to get together and ride again. Brian, David and I had the Specialized express chugging on the way back. Good Stuff!!!

Bonus - Even the cat claw was not too bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I wanted to go, but memories of the cat claw from back in the spring, and the wintery temps, kept me in bed till 8:30. I'm such a sissy. Instead, I climbed and dropped Corona de Loma, on a hardtail 29er. Maybe only a semi-sissy.

Picket Post out past mile 11 is something else. I think its better than the BCT Skyline segment. 15 miles out and all of it singletrack. Simply amazing. Great meeting everyone today!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    What a fantastic ride today, almost cold at the start, but things warmed up quickly. The trail was in the best condition I've experienced, damp & tacky! Really great bunch of riders today, some old friends, some new ones made today.

We set out to check on the southern end trail construction. Good news/bad news, the good: We went 15.2 miles south of the TH to the overlook that I was at back in May and did not see the trailblazing bulldozer! The spot where that was perched is now completely tied into the trail that came up from the south. The bad news: we all wanted to keep going to see just how far it went, but we would have been pressed for daylight & made the decision to turn around there. This is going to be one truly epic route when complete in every sense of the word.

Now for the spoiler alert, if you were planning on joining us today, but couldn't make it, be warned. What you are about to see will surely make you wish you had been there, sorry.

GilaMonster breaking out the SS
    From Picketpost Group ride

Dag Nabbit with a monstrous burrito

cjaghblb & ARIZycle dropping onto FR4

View from approx. 10 mile overlook

Dag Nabbit rolling some canyon singletrack

R.J. getting in deep

Overlook near mile 14, Mt. Lemmon on the horizon

Dag Nabbit clearing the cholla forest

The new trail, yet to see tire tracks

How much farther does the trail go around that mountain?

Lichen

Now THAT'S how a trail gets cut-in!!

U2metoo doesn't fear no stinkin' catclaw

The end

Here's a link to the full album & GPX track for the day. Tis the season to ride Picketpost, start planning your adventure!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    Wait a minute...you guys didn't find the end of the trail? Could it actually be completed? Damn, I guess it's on my December ride list...looks soooo good!
    Nice job as always with the pics FS...thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah......a ride to the end is a must for sure. Thoughts, lights would be needed on that ride and I went through 100+ oz of water on my 10 mile in 10 mile out trip and it was about perfect temp-wise so enough H20 for the group would need to be thought out. How much farther do you guys think it goes beyond the turn around you reached yesterday? I recall someone mentioning it drops out onto Kelvin highway....looking at my maps here, looks like a railroad crossing would be reached well before the highway.....did you guys get that far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great pictures John. We must press on and take this baby all the way to Old Mexico. Seriously though, we should set up a shuttle for a long one way ride. Kelvin appears to be the next bail point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Great pictures John. We must press on and take this baby all the way to Old Mexico. Seriously though, we should set up a shuttle for a long one way ride. Kelvin appears to be the next bail point.

Mexico to Utah Bikepacking on the AZT Two trips accross the state of Arizona. One AZT 300 it's one hell of a journey.

Once this section is complete riding the AZT from Oracle to Picket Post is going to be an awesome bikepacking trip.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I found this area map online a few weeks ago, it shows the new re-route around a large mining claim. I added a couple of notes in the upper left to show where we were and what we could see y'day.

From AZT - Gila River North

The Arizona Trail website has updated their miles-to-go number, and it is down to 5!! The four of us really wanted to keep going, but it was best to turn back where we did. It's not a section of trail that you want to get caught on short of water/food/daylight. It's a big effort ride as well, so anyone making out-n-back ride plans, be sure to take plenty of the essentials.

Perhaps another group ride in January will be in order, give the trail crews a bit more time....
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Wait a minute...you guys didn't find the end of the trail?
    My legs said it was then end, but there is so much more...

(At this time I need to step away from MTBR and edit the video footage)

Carnivore
    Sorry I missed out on this one. Looks like it was a good ride.

I had every intention of being there but my Friday started off bad and got worse. My wife has been section hiking the AZT for about 10 years but they keep rerouting stuff. She needed to do a short connection up by Montana Mountain so Friday we headed out to the Miles Ranch trail head to do a loop hike with the family and make that connection. It should have been about 14-15 miles which we can usually do in about 5-6 hours even with the kids. While we were packing up at the trail head my dog was sniffing around in some holes and got sprayed by a skunk directly in the face. It was her first time and she did not seem to enjoy it so hopefully it will be her last time.

We set off hiking up the trail with skunk dog in tow and found the trail (Spencer Springs) to get worse and worse the farther we went. It turned into boulder hopping and bush wacking after the first 3 miles. We continued on another 2-3 miles before calling it quits and turning around. We got back to the truck at sunset and headed into Globe to buy some chemicals to clean the dog. By the time this ordeal was over it was late and we smelled too so we got a hotel room where we could shower. We never stay in hotels but this was a special situation.

Sat. am we didn't get out of there until 8:30is and knew we had missed the start of the ride so we went in search of a campsite. We found a nice one not too far off the AZT about 4-5 miles North of Picket Post. I rode the trail from there to PP and beyond but you guys were long gone by then. The trail North of the highway is in horrible shape due to the 4 legged rototillers being out in force after the rain Thursday. It was so bad that rather than ride back on the trail I rode into Superior and back to our camp on FS roads.

Today I rode with the family S. from PP and had a great time. I'm not sure how far I went but I believe I turned around where the trail descends to Trough Spr.

Glad you guys had fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @gila monster, try hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I had a Samoyed that used to go out and kill skunks all the time. She obviously didn't mind stinking, but we were always cleaning her up.

Wow. Hard to believe that there is still about 20 miles of trail after our turn-around point. I really hope they finish it soon. The thought of seeing more had me strapping bags to my bike today to prototype some more bikepacking gear. That ride is going to be awesome.

Got a few good snaps on this perfect riding day. The views are simply beautiful out there.

The trail was super buff.

The trail hangs high up on the mountain.

The southern edge of the range opens up as we crest at about mile 14.

The whole day was a lot of work. We totaled up about 5k of climbing.

RJ hitting the second switchback from the top.

U2 out amongst the saguaros.

My other ride is your mom
    fuggin awesome........

mtbr member
    Ugh, that was a beatdown yestaday, and I am in pretty sorry shape.

I planned on bailing early, but the trail and scenery just got better and better. I survived on the fruits and vegetables I ate for breakfast, one apple (plus a slice of apple - compliments of Dag Nabbit) one stale package of cliff blox, one gu, a handful of scooby snakes, and two handfuls of peanuts. Oh yeah, that I and shorted my camelbak bladder out of a good 30 oz, cuz there aint no way I drank 100. I actually had to crack open my 5 oz safety reserve bottle. No real cramps, but my quads were really tight.

Utter than that it was an ahsum day on the trail. Good company. Outside of Sedona, I think the portion of AZ trail we pedaled was the probably the most scenic trail I've been on.

Thanks everybody for letting me shove the camera in your face.

Here is a little vid of the day:

Nice job on the vid! Love it! Some trails just beg you to ride them again, soon, and this is one of them. I'm dying to know how far out the trail goes. I'll have watch this a few times to get me by for now. Great stoke!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Sweet vid Sammay!! That'll have to get me by for a while too. The gears in my head are going already for the long haul route!! I knew that song would do good in a vid!

Awesome shots Dag, really captured the day!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sweet video Sam. Good work.

mtbr member
    Nice vid I really need to get back up there.

mtbr member
    Thanks, doods.

My quads still kinda hurt.

That was a wake up call that I need to get my sorry a$$ back into shape.

My orginal plan was to bail early (I didn't pack much food and water) , but the trail just kept pulling me along.

G

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Killer ride, I'm kicking myself bad for not dragging out of bed. Not quite as epic, but every bit as scenic, the next section north. I think it's about 21 miles, elevation map says all downhill (yeah right), you just have to shuttle to the top of Montana Mountain. Took us about 5 hours, if I remember right. Different kind of awesome, but just as. Next time, for sure.

Ahhh the pain....
    This has got me so jazzed I had to snoop around more out to see if more info was available on the remaining trail. I grabbed these google earth shots from here ftp://ftp.blm.gov/pub/ARIZONA/AZ_Tra...EDMTN-REROUTE/
    The map John posted was also there as well as nice writeup of the terrain in the Red Mountain reroute. Based on the text in that writeup, looks like the reroute will use some bits of existing (and steep) jeep roads as it makes it way south to the Gila. Looks like there will be a fair bit of climbing as you travel it north from the Gila...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picketpost ride: 11/26-airphoto-1-view-west-over-gila-river.jpg  

Picketpost ride: 11/26-airphoto-2-view-north-up-red-mtn-canyon.jpg  

Picketpost ride: 11/26-airphoto-3-view-east-over-gila-river.jpg  

Picketpost ride: 11/26-airphoto-4-view-south-red-mtn-canyon.jpg  

Ridin Mexican Borderlines
    Wow. I wasn't even aware that this stuff existed. Time for a road trip.

Carnivore
    Nice work on the google earth shots. So how long until it is complete? I see some talk on Bikepacking.net that they expect to use this section in April for the AZT 300/750. I'm ready to do it now but I'd prefer to just go N to S not out and back. How many miles from PP to Kelvin?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice work on the google earth shots. So how long until it is complete? I see some talk on Bikepacking.net that they expect to use this section in April for the AZT 300/750. I'm ready to do it now but I'd prefer to just go N to S not out and back. How many miles from PP to Kelvin?
    Appears to be ~ 35-40 miles.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Appears to be ~ 35-40 miles.
    That would be my estimate as well. As far as when it's going to be finished, not exactly sure. I've contacted the passage stewards & they informed me the goal was by the end of the year.....or earlier. On The Arizona Trail Association, Working to build, maintain and promote the Arizona National Scenic Trail. they recently updated the 'miles to go' number from 8 to 5!!

I know the group of us from Sat. is very eager to get back out there and ride farther than the 15.2 mile mark. Until I know for sure that the trail goes through, I'd plan for a big effort out-n-back ride. The cooler weather allowed me to get by with only 100oz + one bottle.

Nice 3D maps Ray! I know you'll hammer out that ride!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    Wish I could take credit for those maps but someone at BLM did some nice work!
    I was looking at the average grade of that 30 mile ride you guys did compared to some other known rides to see how it compares
    Picket Post 11/26 3.24%
    BCT RS + LPL 2.79%
    2011 AES PMC 2.34%
    Quad BP 3.66%
    2010 AES McD 2.65%
    2011 AES BCT 2.05%

Not quite quad-like in climbing, but anything in the 3% or more average grade get's my attention...my quads already hurt just thinking about it....

I'd say that's gonna be quite a nice finish to the AZT300!

mtbr member
    Yep the whole section from Oracle to Picket Post is going to be sweet this year. No more gas line out by Antelope no more riding all the way to the diversion dam and best of all no more Orphan Boy HAB from hell at the end.

If what I was told in Sept is correct there were 2 crews with trail tractors scheduled to start work in mid October. And according to the Ex Dir they were hoping to be done by the end of this year. So even if they run long we should have a complete route by April.

One thing they say is that the section from Kelvin Bridge to the RR bridge is some of the hardest building. Apparently they had to go way up to get above a lot of the drainage's.

Carnivore
    Several years ago I hiked most of that stuff with my wife on her AZT adventure. We hiked through White Canyon from Walnut Canyon then over to the Alamo Canyon Rd. None of the trail was done then so we mostly just went cross country but it is beautiful country. After the pipeline, Black hills and Ripsey sections we just went straight north to the river and waded across the Gila near the mouth of Walnut Canyon rather than go all the way to Kelvin. I guess I'm going to have to go ride all that new stuff down there too. The ground from along the river north to the foothills has lots of big round boulders embedded in the alluvium which must be a real PITA to clear.

I'm dying to ride it as soon as it is passable.

I'm thinking its too bad that they had to abandon the planned route. That green line squirting out of the mountains and flowing down to the river looks like it would have been a nice singletrack descent. The re-route seems to be more jeep road, at least down to the Gila. I wish I had a jeep. I might've taken a drive down Battle Axe just to see how things are going.

mtbr member
    I would love to ride this section soon but I have one question to those who have ridden out there... how is the cell service? Is it completely non-existent? The wife is getting close to her due date and would only give me permission to go if she can get a hold of me.

Carnivore
    Not good cell coverage at all. Just wait until it isn't an issue, the trail will still be there. I've been through the same thing when my wife was on bed rest for 6 weeks due to premature labor. You just have to put your life in suspended animation. Once the kid is born and everything settles down again you will need to get out of the house and go for a long ride anyway.

mtbr member
    Not good cell coverage at all. Just wait until it isn't an issue, the trail will still be there. I've been through the same thing when my wife was on bed rest for 6 weeks due to premature labor. You just have to put your life in suspended animation. Once the kid is born and everything settles down again you will need to get out of the house and go for a long ride anyway.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I've been put on a travel ban for all of December since she's due beginning of January. I managed to convince her to let me hit up BCT on the 10th so at least I got that one. According to the ATT and Sprint coverage maps, there should be plenty of signal at BCT so I'm good.

Maybe I can hit up Picketpost sometime in April. The weather should still be good and the wildflowers should be out in full force. Group ride anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I've been put on a travel ban for all of December since she's due beginning of January. I managed to convince her to let me hit up BCT on the 10th so at least I got that one. According to the ATT and Sprint coverage maps, there should be plenty of signal at BCT so I'm good.

Maybe I can hit up Picketpost sometime in April. The weather should still be good and the wildflowers should be out in full force. Group ride anyone?

I think one of our doods had a few bars at our turnaround point, but that didn't last long. For the trailhead only being about an hour from downtown phoenix, is sure feels remote.

Utter than seeing a little bit of jeep road, there really was no sign man has been out there, no jets flying over, no power lines, no busted up 40 ouncers...

How much further ???
    Once the kid is born and everything settles down again you will need to get out of the house and go for a long ride anyway.
    You must not have had twins. Im not sure things will settle down for me for 18 years.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I would love to ride this section soon but I have one question to those who have ridden out there... how is the cell service? Is it completely non-existent? The wife is getting close to her due date and would only give me permission to go if she can get a hold of me.
    Get one of these, and she can get a hold of you anywhere. Freedom! I wouldn't mind having one either, but my phone is a dumb phone.

mtbr member
    Get one of these, and she can get a hold of you anywhere. Freedom! I wouldn't mind having one either, but my phone is a dumb phone.
    Now that's cool! I didn't know Spot works with smartphones now!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Trail Update: Just heard that the AZT goes all the way through now, should be an official announcement in the coming weeks!! Thanks to the mtb machine & Topofusion wizard from Tucson for the beta.....

Raybum: Did that make you smile?? I know I did.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Trail Update: Just heard that the AZT goes all the way through now, should be an official announcement in the coming weeks!! Thanks to the mtb machine & Topofusion wizard from Tucson for the beta.....

Made me smile! When are we doing this?

mtbr member
    Looks like it can send but not receive. Satellite Phones & Satellite Internet | Rentals & Sales | All Road Sat the solution but your still going to be hours away.

Ahhh the pain....

YES!!!! Suhhhwheeeeeeeeetttt!!!!
    Now I just gotta figure out when I can get down there...

Carnivore
    All the way to Kelvin? I'm up for a one way trip PP to Kelvin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    All the way to Kelvin? I'm up for a one way trip PP to Kelvin.
    Mee Too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Let's set up a shuttle. Anyone Got a van and a bike trailer?

I've got a beater truck that can hold bikes and probably 6 people, in a fairly cozy-get-to-know-you kind of way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've got a beater truck that can hold bikes and probably 6 people, in a fairly cozy-get-to-know-you kind of way.

This is a great start. There may only be 6 who are interested in doing this.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Another update: After reading Scott's writeup on his & Lee's overnight ride through the area, there still may be some construction going on. They did not see the trail crews in the area, but did not ride the section from where they hit the Gila River eastward. There are about 4 miles or so of trail from that point east to the section that I rode a few weeks ago. Then the trail exists for 6.4 miles along the river to the last flagged section of trail that is 3.1 miles. So, there are 2 sections of trail that the condition is still unknown.

A long out-n-back to the Gila would get you about a 40 mile ride with some serious elevation gain. I'm thinking about taking a drive over to Kelvin to see about the 3.1 mile section, perhaps hike it with the wife.

We could set this up as a farewell to 2011 ride on Friday the 30th.
    My Two Schillingsworth

From the AZT newsletter:

** The Final Push**

If you've been watching the website you've noticed the thermometer rising-that is, the miles of completed AZT are increasing.

All unfinished portions of the trail are just north of the Gila River. The miles of trail north from near the old Cochran town site were completed in late November. Those who’ve seen it are quite impressed with the dramatic views. The trail paralleling the Gila River a few miles east was finished in November just ahead of a rain storm. Another three miles of trail just west of Kelvin had a last minute archeological clearance amendment. Fortunately, the clearances came through Nov. 21 and everything is proceeding! So, sometime in the next few weeks, the dream will come true and the Arizona Trail will be complete.

mtbr member
    Swweeet.........

Now if we could just get the Sunflower Passage cleared the AZTR is a full 800 miles instead of 750.