Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11- Mtbr.com
    mtbr dismember

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11

I have a special BCT ride planned for January 9th and while nearby I'd like to do Picketpost to Kelvin on the 11th. Anybody interested? Need an early start because I'm slow. I'm certain [email protected] will be along and he can keep up with most of you while I plod along. I don't pay much attention to this forum until winter. Did Centurion get back to riding?

Here is the ride from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I have a special BCT ride planned for January 9th and while nearby I'd like to do Picketpost to Kelvin on the 11th. Anybody interested? Need an early start because I'm slow. I'm certain [email protected] will be along and he can keep up with most of you while I plod along. I don't pay much attention to this forum until winter. Did Centurion get back to riding?

Here is the ride from last year.

definitely in

Ahhh the pain....
    Arturo is "IN".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Arturo is "IN".
    Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-i-dont-hate-ocm5e1.jpg
    Shit happens...

MEGALOMANIAC
    Fill me in on the details... Is this a shuttle ride or an out & back? How long does it take? Mileage?

I've been to the lookout (10 miles below PP) but then turned around and headed back to the parking lot. It looks like a good drop down off the hill from there. What's the ride like difficulty wise after the lookout where I turned around? What's Kelvin like?

Thanks!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Fill me in on the details... Is this a shuttle ride or an out & back? How long does it take? Mileage?

I've been to the lookout (10 miles below PP) but then turned around and headed back to the parking lot. It looks like a good drop down off the hill from there. What's the ride like difficulty wise after the lookout where I turned around? What's Kelvin like?

Thanks!
    once you get down to the river.. it's a piece of cake

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-momma.jpg

mtbr dismember

Shuttle

Fill me in on the details... Is this a shuttle ride or an out & back? ...
    Point to point ride, so a shuttle. You need to be able to haul at least twice as many bikes and people as you bring. Meet at Kelvin, drive to Picketpost, ride back to Kelvin. Most of your questions are answered in the thread I linked to. Don't know what your riding experience is so it is difficult to answer more than my post. However, it's been over ten years since I've ridden with anybody slower or less skilled than myself. List some of your other big rides and perhaps someone can chime in who knows them for comparison. The ride is not at all technical as far as I'm concerned and I have pretty poor technical skills. Of concern are eating/drinking, depending on the weather and your particular needs. My major concern is starting early. Last year some finished in the dark.

mtbr member
    Point to point ride, so a shuttle. You need to be able to haul at least twice as many bikes and people as you bring. Meet at Kelvin, drive to Picketpost, ride back to Kelvin. Most of your questions are answered in the thread I linked to. Don't know what your riding experience is so it is difficult to answer more than my post. However, it's been over ten years since I've ridden with anybody slower or less skilled than myself. List some of your other big rides and perhaps someone can chime in who knows them for comparison. The ride is not at all technical as far as I'm concerned and I have pretty poor technical skills. Of concern are eating/drinking, depending on the weather and your particular needs. My major concern is starting early. Last year some finished in the dark.

I can't do this, but was curious what the exposure is like? I did PP out and back, turning around about 15 miles in. The section where you drop into the canyon, I'll tell you I was scared shitless. I'm sure it looked worse than it was, but all I could see in the corner of my eye was the bottom of the canyon.

That said, damn what an amazing part of the state!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr dismember

Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I can't do this, but was curious what the exposure is like? I did PP out and back, turning around about 15 miles in. The section where you drop into the canyon, I'll tell you I was scared shitless. I'm sure it looked worse than it was, but all I could see in the corner of my eye was the bottom of the canyon.
    Look at the photos in the thread I linked to. I was solo and I got really scared the first time I looked down into that view I posted above. But few people are as afraid of heights as me and it's not bad.

The Original Suspect
    I've done this ride with Wherewolf, that is to say he was in sight for the first couple of miles then I never saw him again. So I am indeed slow and it took me almost 10 hours...LOL

It is a brilliant ride in amazing country. It is definitely an a$$ kicker. 38 miles and it felt like I was climbing for 30 of them. Don't let the graphic fool you, after about mile 15 it's not a bomb till the bottom.

I took two 100oz bladders and was very low at the end. We did it in April I finished at dusk. There is access to water at the river but you need a purifier.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I've done this ride with Wherewolf, that is to say he was in sight for the first couple of miles then I never saw him again. So I am indeed slow and it took me almost 10 hours...LOL

It is a brilliant ride in amazing country. It is definitely an a$$ kicker. 38 miles and it felt like I was climbing for 30 of them. Don't let the graphic fool you, after about mile 15 it's not a bomb till the bottom.

I took two 100oz bladders and was very low at the end. We did it in April I finished at dusk. There is access to water at the river but you need a purifier.
    Thanks for your input.

The Original Suspect
    I should also add that at the point where you think you're almost done, there's a sh!tty switchback climb that I was cussing at all the way up.

Also wear shoes that you don't mind walking in. Everyone I rode with HAB'd at some point, me more than others.

How much further ???
    Im a strong maybe. The holidays are blocking my vision into the next year at this point.

1/10 is the AZT Jamboree. Might be an issue for me.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I can't commit just yet, but I'd like to do this too.

MEGALOMANIAC
    I should also add that at the point where you think you're almost done, there's a sh!tty switchback climb that I was cussing at all the way up.

mtbr member
    btw I wasn't serious about the section that parallels the river... It's the Sonoran Trail's (in McDowells) twin...

It's not the toughest ride I have ever done.. .but I have never felt so spent at the end of a ride as I have on this one.. I made the mistake of blowing myself out early...

And GET WATER AT THE RIVER !!! You won't regret that..

mtbr dismember

The plan

Joe and I will be meeting at the Kelvin trailhead at 6:30 am, and taking off almost immediately. That would put us on the trail by 7:30. Sunrise is 7:35 and sunset is 5:37. So there is about 10 hours of daylight. Past rides have taken 9 - 10 hours. And last year several people took more than 10 hours and finished in the dark. I will be coming off a big BCT ride with only one day rest. So I am concerned about finishing PP - K in 10 hours.

If 6:30 is too early people can certainly start later. I am very slow and you will likely pass me even if you start later. And except for getting your photo taken, there is no big thrill riding with me anyway. I will be doing this ride several times until it gets too hot in the spring. So you could always wait for the longer days. Or of course, most of you live in the area and could ride any time you like anyway.

Plenty of locals have done this ride many times and I'm sure they can answer any questions you have about the ride. It is a point to point so you must be able to carry twice as many bikes and people as you bring. Last year some didn't get this and ended up doing extra shuttling after the ride. Everybody has different hydration and nutrition needs so be honest with yourself about what to bring. And of course make sure your bike is in good working order.

I do much longer and more technical rides. But there is something about this ride that is very tough. So do not underestimate your abilities and preparedness. Questions?

mtbr dismember

Killer climb out

I should also add that at the point where you think you're almost done, there's a sh!tty switchback climb that I was cussing at all the way up. Also wear shoes that you don't mind walking in. Everyone I rode with HAB'd at some point, me more than others.
    Yes there is a massive killer climb at the end that virtually everyone has to hike. You only finished after me because you took a lot of breaks. Your riding pace was faster than mine.

live long and huck
    subscribed

Happy Trails

Picketpost? Not in. 10 hours is too much for me.

But I'd be very interested in riding BCT on the 9th. I'm a solid intermediate rider - just under 3000 miles in 2014. I ride mostly in the McDowell's but have done the AES BCT a few years back. I'm not fast but can def keep the wheels spinning. Any details about this?

Not sure if "special BCT ride" means private gig .... Just checking.

mtbr dismember

BCT same as Picketpost

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Picketpost? Not in. 10 hours is too much for me. But I'd be very interested in riding BCT on the 9th. I'm a solid intermediate rider - just under 3000 miles in 2014. I ride mostly in the McDowell's but have done the AES BCT a few years back. I'm not fast but can def keep the wheels spinning. Any details about this? Not sure if "special BCT ride" means private gig .... Just checking.
    The BCT ride is the same as Picketpost. Early shuttle to Mayer, sunrise start, ride to Black Canyon City, probably 10 hours. Based on a recent post we may have to re-evaluate Mayer to Antelope section and go farther south. The ride is special because it commemorates the one year anniversary of me coming within seconds of death from anayphlaxis.

If anybody is riding Picketpost to Kelvin I need to know by Saturday, the 10th. Joe and I are morning people and we'll leave earlier if nobody else is coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wherewolf,

This reply is only regarding the current conditions of the BCT further north for the 1/9 ride. Everything I've ridden thus far this year, since arriving here 12/27, has been rideable but much slower going because of eroded, washed out conditions on the trail. The creek crossing north of BCC is in better shape then last year but everything else is worse. Rock bridges that were present in washes are in some cases completely gone. We may want to consider moving your starting point to the Crown King road crossing or even Bumble Bee and finishing up at Emery Henderson TH.

Scott in MD PM me if you are thinking of doing the BC ride on 1/9. More than likely, I'll be covering the same route but starting a little later than first light. I may have others from ABQ along as well.

mtbr dismember
    Thanks, but as long as you say it's ride able we will try it. I can't ride most of those rock bridges anyway. We both like a bit of adventure. And the trail south of Cordes to Black Canyon city is my favorite. It gets pretty boring and flat toward Table Mesa. Sounds like we might see you? Joe says he can haul three bikes if you decide to start with us. Not doing Picketpost? Joe can haul three bikes so you could meet us at Picketpost a bit after 7 am.

mtbr member
    Wherewolf, I'm a little late to the party but I'm interested in joining you guys for Picketpost. I'll be in Phoenix for a swim meet on Sat and I just need to find a ride home for my daughter. Then as slacker dad I would have all day Sunday to play, chase your wheel, or steal your head lamp. I can haul 4 or more bikes with some rigging.

mtbr dismember

Great

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Wherewolf, I'm a little late to the party but I'm interested in joining you guys for Picketpost. ... I can haul 4 or more bikes with some rigging.
    Great. So far you seem to be the only one joining us. But if anybody else is coming and doesn't know where the Kelvin Trail-head is, here is a link to it. Joe and I are staying north of Phoenix but hopefully we won't be late. We are both 100% reliable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'ma skip this.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Great. So far you seem to be the only one joining us. But if anybody else is coming and doesn't know where the Kelvin Trail-head is, here is a link to it. Joe and I are staying north of Phoenix but hopefully we won't be late. We are both 100% reliable.
    Wherewolf, the weather is looking a bit iffy on Sunday. Do you have a contingency plan or a go-no-go policy for 38 mile rides with potential rain? Not sure what the tread and/or potential of death mud is on this route. The likelihood of rain is greater on Sat night than it is on Sunday.

Hope you had a great ride on BCT.

mtbr dismember

Joe and especially me drove a long way to ride. Depending on which site you look at probability of rain is zero to 30%. We will ride unless it's going to be really bad. PM me your phone number and I will call you should we cancel at the last minute. But that is highly unlikely for now.

BCT was fantastic and my best route choice ever. Sunrise to 30 minutes past sunset!

mtbr member
    Roger. I get the distance travelled part. Looks like most of the action is further north anyway. Sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ride Wherewolf. Picketpost to Kelvin is one fantastic segment of the AZ trail for sure. Whoever routed the trail did a fantastic job through a tortured landscape. And mucho thanks to the trail crews for the recent drainage work. For all the horse traffic the tread was in stellar condition.

A couple of pics that don't do the scenery justice.

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-picketpost_1.jpg

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-picketpost_2.jpg

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-picketpost_3.jpg

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-picketpost_4.jpg

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-picketpost_5.jpg

Picketpost to Kelvin 1/11-picketpost_6.jpg