Picketpost conditions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    37

    Picketpost conditions

    Hey all
    Has anyone rode the picketpost portion of azt recently? looking to head out there, but wanted to check on current trail conditions, i.e. Will I need skin grafts from an overgrowth of catclaw...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    66
    It's good to go, aside from the horse turds. Probably only a few bushes of cat claw on the trail before Telegraph Canyon Rd. to avoid.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    37
    Thanks Fitz. I made it out there today, trail conditions were perfect if anybody is planning on heading out there. Go early to avoid the renaissance fair traffic, it was backed up miles heading back toward phoenix

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    Hey thanks for the highlight. I need to get out there before it gets too hot. I don't know why but that ride is one of my favorite areas in all of the Phoenix vicinity. I think I just love the remoteness of it all plus the trail pretty much kicks ass. Not too hard, not too easy. Lots of fun.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Hey thanks for the highlight. I need to get out there before it gets too hot. I don't know why but that ride is one of my favorite areas in all of the Phoenix vicinity. I think I just love the remoteness of it all plus the trail pretty much kicks ass. Not too hard, not too easy. Lots of fun.
    I've really been wanting to give this trail a try. Living in Gilbert it's so close and hearing lots of people (and the AZT book) talk about it makes it more tempting.

    How would you describe it in terms of difficulty? Is it technical?

    I'm just slightly worried about going soon because I'm not the most experienced. I tend to ride Papago and South Mountain, and haven't done an out-of-town ride yet. Not sure how I will know when it's okay to venture out...

    TIA

  6. #6
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    plcollins: It's a solid intermediate trail with a couple techy bits for the most part, but those would be easily walked. Head south out of the trailhead and ride until you feel like turning around. It trends uphill from the trailhead for the first 10 miles. That's often a turnaround point for a lot of day riders out there. Go before it gets too hot.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  7. #7
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    Plcollins,
    ...and because the trail trends uphill for the first 10 miles or so you can venture out pretty far knowing that the return trip is much faster than your outgoing time.

    it's a vastly different experience than riding around South mountain. You're out there if you know what I mean.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by plcollins View Post
    I've really been wanting to give this trail a try. Living in Gilbert it's so close and hearing lots of people (and the AZT book) talk about it makes it more tempting.

    How would you describe it in terms of difficulty? Is it technical?

    I'm just slightly worried about going soon because I'm not the most experienced. I tend to ride Papago and South Mountain, and haven't done an out-of-town ride yet. Not sure how I will know when it's okay to venture out...

    TIA
    Plcollins, I'm think of riding the out and back this Friday or Saturday for the first time and wouldn't mind some company. PM if you would like to coordinate a ride. I'm old, but a strong intermediate rider. Would be coming from Preskitt, so considering driving down the night before and camping at the trailhead to get an early morning start.

    To those who know the area, any good places to camp near the trailhead?
    Veni vidi velo!

  9. #9
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    .

    To those who know the area, any good places to camp near the trailhead?
    well I don't know about camping in the surrounding area but I'm sure you could forge your way into many different places, but keep in mind it is all desert of course. There is plenty of room right near the trailhead or other areas very close by. I think just driving on the road that leaves the highway and takes you to the trailhead there are options. I don't recall if there is water available at the trailhead. There is a pit toilet iirc, I think it's maintained by Traildoc so it should be in good condition.

    I'd love to join you but I'll be out of state this weekend.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    well I don't know about camping in the surrounding area but I'm sure you could forge your way into many different places, but keep in mind it is all desert of course. There is plenty of room right near the trailhead or other areas very close by. I think just driving on the road that leaves the highway and takes you to the trailhead there are options. I don't recall if there is water available at the trailhead. There is a pit toilet iirc, I think it's maintained by Traildoc so it should be in good condition.

    I'd love to join you but I'll be out of state this weekend.
    Yeah, camping should not be an issue. Google Earth shows many options off the road near the TH for throwing down a sleeping bag, which is all I'm looking for. No water, but there is a pit toilet. If traildoc shows up to "service it" I'm outtathere.

    After checking out Schilling's pics, I'm really looking forward to doing this ride before it gets too hot.

    Any good Mexican food in Superior? Los Hermanos gets good reviews. Deserved? Anything else?
    Veni vidi velo!

  11. #11
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    ^^^
    I don't have any beta on food in the area, sorry.

    As far as the trail goes, man I just love that place. It's hard for me to explain why but I think it's because I generally love the desert and also enjoy the feeling of being a little bit exposed to the elements. As stated before, the trail itself is probably a solid intermediate ride. But the feeling of being out in the desert wilderness is something that really draws me.

    I guess what I'm saying is as much as I enjoy riding my bike I enjoy the adventure of riding my bike just as much if not more. That place fulfills both needs for me. Hope you have a good time. Go prepared for any mechanical or tire issues, and cell phone service is spotty at best.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Plcollins, I'm think of riding the out and back this Friday or Saturday for the first time and wouldn't mind some company. PM if you would like to coordinate a ride. I'm old, but a strong intermediate rider. Would be coming from Preskitt, so considering driving down the night before and camping at the trailhead to get an early morning start.

    To those who know the area, any good places to camp near the trailhead?
    That sounds like a blast, but unfortunately I can't make it this weekend. Appreciate the offer.

    If you end up going, take some pics and follow-up here with a summary and your thoughts with it being your first time!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    ^^^
    I don't have any beta on food in the area, sorry.

    As far as the trail goes, man I just love that place. It's hard for me to explain why but I think it's because I generally love the desert and also enjoy the feeling of being a little bit exposed to the elements. As stated before, the trail itself is probably a solid intermediate ride. But the feeling of being out in the desert wilderness is something that really draws me.

    I guess what I'm saying is as much as I enjoy riding my bike I enjoy the adventure of riding my bike just as much if not more. That place fulfills both needs for me. Hope you have a good time. Go prepared for any mechanical or tire issues, and cell phone service is spotty at best.
    Sounds like we ride for many of the same reasons. I hear the hipster term for this is "soul riding." Hokey, but I get what they mean. I'll make sure to be prepared. Thanks.
    Veni vidi velo!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by plcollins View Post
    That sounds like a blast, but unfortunately I can't make it this weekend. Appreciate the offer.

    If you end up going, take some pics and follow-up here with a summary and your thoughts with it being your first time!!
    I take lousy photos, but I'll manage to post something. Hope you get a ride in this weekend. Cheers.
    Veni vidi velo!

  15. #15
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Sounds like we ride for many of the same reasons. I hear the hipster term for this is "soul riding." Hokey, but I get what they mean. I'll make sure to be prepared. Thanks.
    Yeah, I get it. Call it my zen, therapy or whatever. Being outdoors and challenging myself a little bit is just where I feel right. I don't get to do it as often as I'd like so when I do, I relish those times.

  16. #16
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Yeah, camping should not be an issue. Google Earth shows many options off the road near the TH for throwing down a sleeping bag, which is all I'm looking for. No water, but there is a pit toilet. If traildoc shows up to "service it" I'm outtathere.

    After checking out Schilling's pics, I'm really looking forward to doing this ride before it gets too hot.

    Any good Mexican food in Superior? Los Hermanos gets good reviews. Deserved? Anything else?
    Yeah, Los Hermanos is worth the stop. Camping: The pit toilet is at the trailhead, but camping there isn't allowed. As mentioned, there is dispersed camping on the dirt road off US60 leading to the trailhead, so you're only 1/4 mile away. There is a water trough, down near the base of the windmill you'll drive past on the dirt road. If I didn't already have plans, I'd join you. Have fun!!!
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    169
    TD:
    Get those tolets in pit top shape for these dudes.
    The camping off of 60 then left; and a quik left befor the hill over to the TH is great--easy ride to the TH.
    And if you have the time; do a ride on '18' North of PP; best to ride the road and then the AZT back to PP.
    Cheers.
    TD

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I take lousy photos, but I'll manage to post something. Hope you get a ride in this weekend. Cheers.
    Just a heads up that I just saw a post on my local MTB group that someone is planning a group shuttle ride from Picketpost to Kelvin on saturday 04/06. If you were still wanting to ride with some folks, I'm sure this would be a blast. You can reach out to him directly on FB if intereted, his name is "Igor Barash" Here are the details he posted to the FB group:


    For those doing the full PicketPost to Kelvin ride: meet at the Kelvin AZT trailhead ( www.trailforks.com/goto/poi/1697 ) by 8am (or come camp there with me on Friday night). From there we will load up into as few vehicles as possible and drive to PicketPost. I will have the 12 passenger van, so that should take care of most of the group + 6 or so bikes. If anyone has a truck that can haul a bunch of bikes that would be awesome!

    If you're looking to do the out and back ride from PicketPost then arrive at the PicketPost trailhead by 8:45am.

    Both groups will be rolling out from PicketPost by 9am.

    The only guaranteed spot to fill up on water is at the Gila River, which is 24 miles into the ride for the group riding all the way to Kelvin. I will have a filter with me, but bring as much water as you can carry for either ride!

    Here's the bonus option: I plan to camp at the Kelvin trailhead on Saturday night and then ride back up to PicketPost on Sunday to retrieve the van. Anyone who wants to join me for that beatdown is welcome!

  19. #19
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by plcollins View Post
    Just a heads up that I just saw a post on my local MTB group that someone is planning a group shuttle ride from Picketpost to Kelvin on saturday 04/06. If you were still wanting to ride with some folks, I'm sure this would be a blast. You can reach out to him directly on FB if intereted, his name is "Igor Barash" Here are the details he posted to the FB group:
    [COLOR=#1C1E21][FONT=system-ui][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]
    aka: dsrt taco on MTBR.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Yeah, Los Hermanos is worth the stop. Camping: The pit toilet is at the trailhead, but camping there isn't allowed. As mentioned, there is dispersed camping on the dirt road off US60 leading to the trailhead, so you're only 1/4 mile away. There is a water trough, down near the base of the windmill you'll drive past on the dirt road. If I didn't already have plans, I'd join you. Have fun!!!
    Agree with schillingsworth here. There are some spots off the road once you turn off the 60. We ended up going right at the "T" (heading left goes directly to picketpost) and venturing further back to get away from the 60 a bit.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dsrt taco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    aka: dsrt taco on MTBR.
    I've never heard of this Igor fellow

  22. #22
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    I've never heard of this Igor fellow
    Channeling your inner Traildoc, eh?
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    169
    'IGOR' is not necessarily TD...............but could be 'Switchblade 3'. Contact him for further info.
    TS

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    A great day on Picketpost AZT today with a out and back to Telegraph Canyon. I would agree with Schilling and eatdrinkride that the 10 miles out of the Picketpost TH is intermediate in character with the occasional tech feature to negotiate. Similar to the Little Pan section of the BCT, but with less exposure. The wilderness feel is intense and the Sonoran vegetation is "lush". It was a treat to see the remnants of this year's wildflower super bloom. dsrt taco's group passed me going in as I was coming out. Those blokes (and one young woman) were flying up the grade to the overlook to Telegraph Canyon, compared to me anyway. Los Hermanos was just OK. Can't recommend the chile relleno since they use canned vs fresh roasted chiles. The place was packed though, so maybe I just ordered the wrong item.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picketpost conditions-img_20190406_172355.jpg  

    Picketpost conditions-img_20190406_172706.jpg  

    Picketpost conditions-img_20190406_172856.jpg  

    Picketpost conditions-img_20190406_173036.jpg  

    Picketpost conditions-img_20190406_173135.jpg  

    Veni vidi velo!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    44
    Great info! Looks like fun

  26. #26
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    [QUOTE=veloborealis;14044138]. The wilderness feel is intense ]

    Awesome. I'm glad you get the same vibe out there that I do. Thanks for the PP stoke!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    76
    This post inspired me but I could not get to the trailhead till 11ish that day. Did the 10 out and back. Can't believe i've never done this before. Amazing
    Picketpost conditions-56520051_10155912202996254_8633938834049990656_n.jpgPicketpost conditions-56672990_10155912202796254_8777610966184493056_n.jpg
    Picketpost conditions-56825531_10155912202521254_3410280010995466240_n.jpg

  28. #28
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,342
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruz99 View Post
    This post inspired me but I could not get to the trailhead till 11ish that day. Did the 10 out and back. Can't believe i've never done this before. Amazing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56520051_10155912202996254_8633938834049990656_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	1246558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56672990_10155912202796254_8777610966184493056_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	1246559
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56825531_10155912202521254_3410280010995466240_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	1246560
    Yes! Thanks for posting pics I'm glad you enjoyed it. The scenery is awesome. Today was an great day to be riding in the Phoenix area.


    Question:. Does 10 miles out get you to the top of the saddle right before you make the major descent down to the Gila River? I thought to get that far it was closer to 14 miles but I don't recall exactly. Anyway, the views from up there while heading down are absolutely spectacular.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Yes! Thanks for posting pics I'm glad you enjoyed it. The scenery is awesome. Today was an great day to be riding in the Phoenix area.


    Question:. Does 10 miles out get you to the top of the saddle right before you make the major descent down to the Gila River? I thought to get that far it was closer to 14 miles but I don't recall exactly. Anyway, the views from up there while heading down are absolutely spectacular.
    Yeah the big descent down to the river starts at mile 14.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    76
    Here is where I stopped, a ridge. It was my first time and I "thought" I was close to the decent. From what I'm reading we had another 4 miles to go.Picketpost conditions-img_2245.jpg

  31. #31
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Yeah the big descent down to the river starts at mile 14.
    and the mile or 2 before the big descent is a bit of a slog. A hella scenic slog, but a bit of work none the less.

    When I discovered this section of trail some years ago (before it went all the way through) my reaction was "how have i not heard of this? How is everyone not riding this?". It is so, so good. The whole Kelvin to Picket Post thing is an amazing ride - if it doesn't kill you. A must do for anyone with the ability.

    Surprised that the section south of PP trailhead is new to some folks. It is definitely remote and requires a little bit of skill in places, but well worth getting out there. If you haven't, go ride it!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dsrt taco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    276
    Here are just a few of the highlights from my ride out there last weekend!

    Picketpost conditions-20190407_155322.jpg

    Picketpost conditions-20190407_140330.jpg

    Picketpost conditions-20190406_113942.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. More ride stoke AZT: Picketpost ride report.
    By clockwork in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
  2. Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle 12/30
    By schillingsworth in forum Arizona
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
  3. Picketpost ride: 11/26
    By schillingsworth in forum Arizona
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 03:04 PM
  4. Picketpost
    By ARIZycle in forum Arizona
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
  5. Another picketpost report
    By clockwork in forum Arizona
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 90

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.