Picketpost- Mtbr.com

Thread: Picketpost

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Picketpost

Has anyone ridden this trail lately? How is the cat claw along the trail??

Ahhh the pain....
    Good question...been thinking about a ride out there as well to scout trail progress to date. Might need to bring the loppers and a few units of blood for transfusion. Let me know when you're going!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    a buddy of mine was out there last weekend and did 11 miles out. He said the cat claw was awful and was pretty scratched up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ray-

Didn't you do a big ride down there last year or so? How far south does the trail go?

Ahhh the pain....
    We did an out and back but didn't go all the way to the end of the trail... JohnS (freeskier) a week later went all the way to the end...I know he sent me the gpx file but can't seem to find it...John, something like 20 or so miles one-way?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A buddy and I rode picket post about 3 weeks ago. Cat claw was horrible. Both of our legs were cut up pretty bad. We rode a total of about 23 miles as an out and back. Besides the cat claw the ride was great. Good views and fun single track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What about the AZT in the other direction, to the north? Is this trail worth riding on a bike?

Dave
    I love this trail but the cat claw always make the shower after hurt. Last tinme I went there I made some duct tape leg guards and they really worked well. Wear light armor and you should be ok. I was there two weeks ago and it is not as bad as the spring time rides.
    I need to ride more and work less.

Ahhh the pain....
    duct tape leg guards? right against the skin? (and hair)?

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    What about the AZT in the other direction, to the north? Is this trail worth riding on a bike?
    I've ridden the AZT north a bunch of times. It is very rocky in spots. No cat claw that I remember. I enjoy it, but that is my style of riding, and I rarely find faults with any trails. That said, I wouldn't drive out there to ride north. I usually ride north after riding Picket Post to add a bunch of miles and hours to my ride.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    We did an out and back but didn't go all the way to the end of the trail... JohnS (freeskier) a week later went all the way to the end...I know he sent me the gpx file but can't seem to find it...John, something like 20 or so miles one-way?
    John had a good blog about his ride to end of trail in May, which if I remember was about 13-14 miles out; however, the AZT org says the two sections will be connected by the end of the year, which makes it about 17 or so miles to the Gila River. We're planning on riding in and exploring from the Gila end on the 30th to see the newest stuff if anyone wants to join. It'll be one hell of a ride when its done, especially after you connect with Ripsey just a bit further to the south.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    duct tape leg guards? right against the skin? (and hair)?
    No. I put the sticky side facing each other (2 layers)with cord to tie around leg. Worked great and nice and light.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    No. I put the sticky side facing each other (2 layers)with cord to tie around leg. Worked great and nice and light.
    Good idea.

Thanks for the input everyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    John had a good blog about his ride to end of trail in May, which if I remember was about 13-14 miles out; however, the AZT org says the two sections will be connected by the end of the year, which makes it about 17 or so miles to the Gila River. We're planning on riding in and exploring from the Gila end on the 30th to see the newest stuff if anyone wants to join. It'll be one hell of a ride when its done, especially after you connect with Ripsey just a bit further to the south.
    That would be a great ride. You guys doing an out and back on the 30th? One day deal or bikepacking it?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    It'll be one hell of a ride when its done, especially after you connect with Ripsey just a bit further to the south.
    It already is one of the greatest sections of ST in the state...when it is finished, it Oracle to Superior is going to be the best section of ST, especially in spring when it is green.

Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    That would be a great ride. You guys doing an out and back on the 30th? One day deal or bikepacking it?
    Its a one day affair this time. We'll just head in and see how far we can get in a reasonable time.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    To answer a few questions, it was 15.5 miles to the end of trail as of 5.8.11 from PP TH. Here's the ride data.

On that day I could see the southern portion of trail leading up to the dozer on the trail, maybe 1/2 to 1 mile of trail left to construct. There was a ton of gear out there, so it'll be interesting to see the trail heading north from the Gila River on the 30th. We haven't set a start time yet, but probably around 8am, maybe 7 from where the AZT crossing the Gila in Kelvin. Anyone is welcome, should be a fun day. No bikepacking, just a day ride. This will be a future bikepacking destination of mine for sure.

Chad is right, the Ripsey segment is what riding is all about. It was his post a while back about the top 10 most underrated rides in AZ that really inspired me to get out there. I've been trying to explore new areas ever since.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    To answer a few questions, it was 15.5 miles to the end of trail as of 5.8.11 from PP TH. Here's the ride data.

On that day I could see the southern portion of trail leading up to the dozer on the trail, maybe 1/2 to 1 mile of trail left to construct. There was a ton of gear out there, so it'll be interesting to see the trail heading north from the Gila River on the 30th. We haven't set a start time yet, but probably around 8am, maybe 7 from where the AZT crossing the Gila in Kelvin. Anyone is welcome, should be a fun day. No bikepacking, just a day ride. This will be a future bikepacking destination of mine for sure.

Chad is right, the Ripsey segment is what riding is all about. It was his post a while back about the top 10 most underrated rides in AZ that really inspired me to get out there. I've been trying to explore new areas ever since.
    Sounds like you guys have a ride planned for the 30th. There is some great trail on the north side of the river. Not sure about the section from the Kelvin bridge to the rail road bridge I hear that it's supposed to be under construction soon. Last spring we still had to do a couple of miles on the RR tracks.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quick update on the section of trail just north of the Gila River. It is only flagged, still not ready for primetime. We managed our way across the river a bit to the west and did locate the next segment of trail that IS ready for mountain bikes! It was a fun twisty-turny up/down 6.4 miles with fantastic views. Here's a link to my pics from the day: Gila River North
    There was more flagging after the 6.4 miles, so we turned around and called it a day. We ended up around 22 miles for the day with some sidetracking. Perhaps a ride from Picketpost TH south over Turkey day weekend is in order??
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Perhaps a ride from Picketpost TH south over Turkey day weekend is in order??
    Sure, as long as I don't hike the Lemmon Drop the week before! I still haven't ridden. Looking for a little ride today or tomorrow to prep for the BCT though.