mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Picket Post to Gila River conditions

I will be heading out to AZ in 4 weeks to do some mountain biking with friends and would like to know if anyone has trail conditions (mainly cat claw) from Picket Post down to the Gila River at the 20 mile point. We are doing an out and back from the trailhead and any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Conditions are great, catclaw is no issue. In 4 weeks, be wary of the heat, start early and plan to carry a lot of water and a filter for the river. That's a long ride, and the sun always seems quite a bit stronger in through those sections of the AZT.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    I will be heading out to AZ in 4 weeks to do some mountain biking with friends and would like to know if anyone has trail conditions (mainly cat claw) from Picket Post down to the Gila River at the 20 mile point. We are doing an out and back from the trailhead and any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Going to the river and back is a very long and demanding ride, and I know it wastes very strong riders. Be aware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Mo betta option may be for you to have someone meet you at cochrane; just across the River. Quite easy access via Florence.
    O&B on a sunny day in April will be a killer unless you ride 1/2 at night.
    Trail is in good shape now.
    TS

Ahhh the pain....
    I've done this ride a handful of times and as people have mentioned above, it's a stout one... probably one of the tougher 40 mile MTB rides you can do around here with around 200' of climbing per mile. A few things I've learned on this one...
    1. Start EARLY...for a few reasons, if you have a mechanical and can't fix it, it's a LONG walk back to PP. And that section has TONS of sharp tire slicing rocks in it (don't ask me how I know!). Also, if the daytime high is forecast to be over 80F, it's a hot one out there since the climb from the river generally faces south.
    2. Take an extra bottle and stash it at mile 15 right before the plummet to the river.
    3. Unless you really want to dip your toes in the Gila, go that last 3/4 mile down the shitty jeep road, otherwise, turn around at the sign were the singletrack ends.
    4. The ride is at least 6 hrs...and that's humpin' it pretty good... depending on fitness, mechanicals, picture stops, etc, it could easily be an 8 hr ride.

OK, you asked about cat claw.... ha ha....
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok. Sounds like my best choice would be to ride the 14 miles or so to the high point and then turn around before the long descent to the Gila. That would probably still be a solid 4 hour ride. We have rides for the next 3 days planned after that and an 9-12 hr. ride may not be the best way to start a long mtb weekend.
    Thanks for your help everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Have fun; onclude Gold Canyon in yer itinerary.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you happen to have two cars, you could do the picketpost to kelvin ride and shuttle back to picketpost. If not, I think riding to the high point and back is the better option. Good call on riding Picketpost on your trip to AZ!