Phx Mtn Preserve - why do the boundaries keep moving?- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Phx Mtn Preserve - why do the boundaries keep moving?

I've been a resident in the NE valley for much of my life and can remember when the Phoenix Mtn Preserve was set up back in the 70's (was a little kid back then). We used to take our 4x4 on some of the trails and then the city erected all of those "Preserve" signs that prohibit motorized vehicles and other unathorized use of the land. The idea was to protect the wilderness and prevent further development or "hazardous" use of the land.

However, over the past 10 years it has been troubling to see some of the apparent borders of the Phx Mtn Preserve "shrink". For example, what used to be apparent Phx Mtn Preserve land at 28th St and Thunderbird is now an entire neighborhood. The signs were moved and the bulldozers ripped huge chuks out of the side of the hills to build some custom homes.

Another example is a house that is being constructed right near my house at 24th and Mtn View area. What used to be an apparent border to the Phx Mtn Preserve has been moved aside for a monster of a house to be built wayyyyyy up the side of the hill. Once again, some huge bulldozers came in and dug a gigantic hole out of the side of the hill. They then built a nice retaining wall to hold back the dirt. Soon the actual house is going to be erected. When done, the goddam house will be within 50' of the Trail 100 (you may know what I am talking about - it's between Shea and the 51).

So what's the deal? Who owns this land and why does it appear to constantly be gobbled up by development? Isn't this was what the Phx Mtn Preserve was supposed to prevent?

Thx...Doug

Saucy Size
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You didn't think the city would say "no" to big gobs of money for a 1/4 acre lot, did you? It's the city's land, and they can do pretty much whatever they want with/to it. If you don't like it, tell your city council person. And tell them several times, so they get the message.

Now don't go torching the house.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Skinny legged XC geek

They didn't sell any land

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You didn't think the city would say "no" to big gobs of money for a 1/4 acre lot, did you? It's the city's land, and they can do pretty much whatever they want with/to it. If you don't like it, tell your city council person. And tell them several times, so they get the message.

Now don't go torching the house.

p.
    It was never part of the preserve to begin with. The trail just got routed too close to the edge of what the city owns.

There is a monster hill right near there that I watched some guys climb last weekend. It was amazing to see. Me? I hiked it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It gets frustrating

I've watched the same thing for years. We used to go 4 wheeling and dirt biking in what is now the Preserve and I have seen it change many times. I remember when Skip Rimza built part of his house into the preserve. There was quite a stink about it. Its kind of like the old Arab proverb: First the camel's nose is in the tent, then the head, then the whole camel is in the tent and the Arab is outside.

As long as the main body of the Preserve remains intact and it is maintained we all will be better for it.

Steve Frew