PHX area trail info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

PHX area trail info

I grew up in AZ and MTB'd there a lot in the late 80's early 90's, I visit there often and keep a bike there. When I come home I ride Hawes, McDowell, SoMo and am familiar with T100, all great trails. What I'm looking for are some new ideas. I know there's a lot of new stuff that's been built sence I moved. I've heard a lot about FINS and Pima and Dinamite but I can't seem to locate any good trail maps. If anyone can direct me to some good maps it would be appreciated. I'm also open to any other suggestions. Thanks, John.
    BTW I live in Nashville TN. We've got some good riding out here as well.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Did you check out the sticky?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=149519
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Meatbomb
    skip pima and dynamite.

mtbr member
    I've checked it out before but honestly it was a looooong time ago. There is a lot of good info on there. I guess I thought it was one of those "make sure to take plenty of water" type posts. Thanks for the reminder.

mtbr member
    FWIW Back in the day, Estrella was an awesome trail and White Tanks was pretty lame. Seems that has changed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Goat Camp.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Combining Old and Bold
    Used to be that riding the McDowells meant driving over to the Ftn Hills side and doing the regional park, which is just OK to me. Since you've lived here, trails around Lost Dog Wash have gotten popular, and lots of new trails have opened up on the W side of the mountains (Windgate, Bell, Paradise, and the trails through McDowell Mtn Ranch). It's all worth exploring, and way more fun than Pima/Dynamite IMHO.

I don't have the link to the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, but it's an easy Google and they have some maps. City of Scottsdale has some maps on pdf as well. Do some searches of mtbr under "double bypass" and you'll turn up plenty.

Probably want to check out Black Canyon Trails as well.

Definitely check out Dale's maps....could be one stop shopping for you. http://singletrack.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=54

Have fun!

EDR
    Area 52...now that's an adventure, but not exactly a trail. Bring your firewood, tent and a cooler of beer.

On second thought, I don't recommend it. Try Goat Camp.

mtbr member
    DrHog, thanks for the link, that's right on target. Except I didn't see FINS listed on there, but I just checked it out for a second. I'll do some research on the west side of the McDowells. If it's as good as the park it's self, then it must be awesome. I'd seen posts about "double bypass" before but didn't know what area it was in. So now I know, thanks.
    Are these trails anywhere near where the old Pinnacle Peak trails were located?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbrill632
    I've checked it out before but honestly it was a looooong time ago. There is a lot of good info on there. I guess I thought it was one of those "make sure to take plenty of water" type posts. Thanks for the reminder.
    Heh...that may be the one piece of advice that isn't in the visitor sticky!

Think I should add it?

p.

Combining Old and Bold
    DrHog, thanks for the link, that's right on target. Except I didn't see FINS listed on there, but I just checked it out for a second. I'll do some research on the west side of the McDowells. If it's as good as the park it's self, then it must be awesome. I'd seen posts about "double bypass" before but didn't know what area it was in. So now I know, thanks.
    Are these trails anywhere near where the old Pinnacle Peak trails were located?
    Nah....lots of fun memories from the old Cactus Cup course, though (Damm golfers!). The trailheads for the stuff I'm talking about are at: (1) The Village Health Club (Thompson Peak and Union Hills, SE corner of large parking lot); (2) Small TH at Bell Rd/104th St; (3) Westworld; (4) Lost Dog TH (124th St, north of Via Linda).

One of my favorites: From Village TH, take Horseshoe trail, left on Gateway, up to top of Windgate Pass, down other side until trail turns into Coachwhip, right on Dixie Mine, right on Thompson Peak service road, right on Prospector, left on Bell Pass, up and over Bell Pass, left on Gateway, continuing back to Horseshoe to finish loop. This is around 14 miles, I think, and 2-3 hours for most. Bring your lungs and leave the body armor--it's that type of ride.

Post up when you get out here, I'm sure you can get some folks to join you, myself included.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHog
    Nah....lots of fun memories from the old Cactus Cup course, though (Damm golfers!).
    That trial ranks high on my list of all time favorites.
    Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna try your route for sure.
    If your into a casual paced ride, I'll hit you up when I come to
    town next week.

Combining Old and Bold
    I'm about 1 month into my 6 week healing time (with cast) on my left wrist. I hope to be back on the trails by sometime in Feb. If you're out over the 24th, you could do something truly senseless and join Walt and company for the Quadruple Bypass (you'll hit all of the McDowell trails on one long ride). There's a nice recap on last the one from last Jan if you search this forum. I will be bummed to miss it!

If you want to hit another day and/or a shorter ride, there are quite a few riders on this forum that would prolly be up for it.

mtbr member
    That's out of my league. I max out at around 15 miles.
    Thanks again for all the info. Get well.

mtbr member

Good job!

JTbrill -- Dig your "Steal your Face". Nice.

My wife and I host a Night Ride on FINS almost every Thursday Night.

PM, or e-mail me to get directions here if you're interested, around then, and have lights.

Cheers,

Harv
    out
    Harvsdomain@yahoo.com
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I grew up in AZ and MTB'd there a lot in the late 80's early 90's, I visit there often and keep a bike there. When I come home I ride Hawes, McDowell, SoMo and am familiar with T100, all great trails. What I'm looking for are some new ideas. I know there's a lot of new stuff that's been built sence I moved. I've heard a lot about FINS and Pima and Dinamite but I can't seem to locate any good trail maps. If anyone can direct me to some good maps it would be appreciated. I'm also open to any other suggestions. Thanks, John.
    BTW I live in Nashville TN. We've got some good riding out here as well.
    Just out of curiosity, what made you move to Nashville, TN ??

mtbr member
    Hey Now, Harv !
    Thanks for the invite. I have lights here in Tennessee, but don't usually take them to AZ.
    I'd really like to ride the trail in the daytime before riding it at night. Is it tricky to find your way around out there?

mtbr member
    I don't think it's difficult to find your way around FINS, but I'm TOTALLY BIASED.

I strongly suggest printing out a Map (I think there's one on here, or e-mail / P.M. me for one) and tucking it into your jersey-pocket.

Let me know when/if you can ever make it out, and hopefully I can go out with you for a little spin.
    Cell = (623) 256-3993
    Home = Harvsdomain@yahoo.com

I'd loan you a light if you could make the ThrNR, but typically they're all-accounted for. Our local-shop has a few Light-n-Motion lights they rent/loan-out, so if all else fails and you need a light you could call Estrella Mtn. Cyclery in Goodyear as well -- they traditionally make the Thr.NR too!

I hope to see ya' out there sometime!

Harv
    out
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Members who have read this thread: 0