In Phoenix..... Want to ride?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60

    In Phoenix..... Want to ride?

    I get to Phoenix Thursday morning and have Thursday all day, Friday morning, and Saturday all day to ride. Bringing my giant anthem x 29er along for the trip.

    Anyone planning a ride with room for one more? I will have a car and do not mind traveling for a good trail.

    I have a couple places to go solo, but its nice to ride with someone who knows where they are going.

    Shoot me a PM or reply. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,565
    What do you want to do? We've got trails that wouldn't challenge a beach cruiser all the way up to death by bike suicide runs.

    Phoenix Mountain Preserve, South Mountain, and McDowell Sonoran are all good, but if you're an out of towner looking for an experience, gotta hit Sedona or Flagstaff, or both. They're both easy day trips.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    Never ridden out west at all but want to get out there and see what it has to offer I am up for anything as long as it isn't trials bike technical.

    At home I like to ride flow, climb, small jumps and tech I like a challenge but it doesn't have to be crazy for me to enjoy, regularly do 30 miles and 3000-4000 ft of climbing but out east terrain keeps the speed low a lot of the time. I also do gravel, dirt road rides and enjoy taking in the sites if that's on the docket.

    Let me know.... Thanks

  4. #4
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by tjscrogins99 View Post
    Never ridden out west at all but want to get out there and see what it has to offer I am up for anything as long as it isn't trials bike technical.

    At home I like to ride flow, climb, small jumps and tech I like a challenge but it doesn't have to be crazy for me to enjoy, regularly do 30 miles and 3000-4000 ft of climbing but out east terrain keeps the speed low a lot of the time. I also do gravel, dirt road rides and enjoy taking in the sites if that's on the docket.

    Let me know.... Thanks

    Disclaimer: I'm not a local, but I spend 4 days a week there most weeks. I'm on a pretty limited time schedule as I ride before work and can't spend too long getting to / from the trail.

    Disclaimer over, I ride a lot at South Mountain in the mornings. If you're looking for 30 miles, I'd do something like this:

    Start at Pima lot, take Desert Classic out to the Secret Loop and then back to the parking lot. Its about 10 miles, just flowy, relatively easy trails.

    When you cruise back through the parking lot, head up the double track / road by the bathrooms (I've heard it called Boardwalk). It comes to a T intersection, take the right junction and head towards Javelina. Its a fun, downhill rip that is much more technical than Desert Classic, but is just a warm up for the rest.

    Javelina will take you to a parking lot. Take Beverly Canyon back and wind your way back to the Pima parking lot (there are several ways). Once back in the parking lot, head back up the Boardwalk climb and go up Mormon. The tech factor continues to increase and you can head back down National if you have dominated the other stuff.

    That's a pretty good ride with a little bit of everything, in the 25 mile range.
    Last edited by Jdub; 10-09-2012 at 09:26 PM.

  5. #5
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,816
    Where are you staying?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    Right next to the Phoenix mountain preserve.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm not a local, but I spend 4 days a week there most weeks. I'm on a pretty limited time schedule as I ride before work and can't spend too long getting to / from the trail.

    Disclaimer over, I ride a lot at South Mountain in the mornings. If you're looking for 30 miles, I'd do something like this:

    Start at Pima lot, take Desert Classic out to the Secret Loop and then back to the parking lot. Its about 10 miles, just flowy, relatively easy trails.

    When you cruise back through the parking lot, head up the double track / road by the bathrooms (I've heard it called Boardwalk). It comes to a T intersection, take the right junction and head towards Javelina. Its a fun, downhill rip that is much more technical than Desert Classic, but is just a warm up for the rest.

    Javelina will take you to a parking lot. Take Beverly Canyon back and wind your way back to the Pima parking lot (there are several ways). Once back in the parking lot, head back up the Boardwalk climb and go up Mormon. The tech factor continues to increase and you can head back down National if you have dominated the other stuff.

    That's a pretty good ride with a little bit of everything, in the 25 mile range.
    If you are heading out before work Friday or Saturday let me know.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,565
    I'll probably be at PMP at the 40th and Shea lot around 1630 on Thursday.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    Awesome, was trying to decide where to go thursday. South mountain or looks like PMP would be good and close.

    sonoran preserve friday, and sedona saturday.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    I see on google maps a "Trail 100" that runs all over the place connecting north mountain preserve, Phoenix mountain preserve, and keeps going.

    Ever ride that?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,565
    Trail 100 is like the interstate for the PMP system. Pretty much everything links into it and it'll take you wherever you want to go. It's pretty minimal for ability, or fun. It's almost a beach cruiser trail, IMO.

    1A, VOAZ, Irregular, 8/8A are the more interesting ones.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by tjscrogins99 View Post
    Never ridden out west at all but want to get out there and see what it has to offer I am up for anything as long as it isn't trials bike technical.
    At home I like to ride flow, climb, small jumps and tech I like a challenge but it doesn't have to be crazy for me to enjoy, regularly do 30 miles and 3000-4000 ft of climbing but out east terrain keeps the speed low a lot of the time. I also do gravel, dirt road rides and enjoy taking in the sites if that's on the docket.

    Let me know.... Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tjscrogins99 View Post
    I see on google maps a "Trail 100" that runs all over the place connecting north mountain preserve, Phoenix mountain preserve, and keeps going.

    Ever ride that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Trail 100 is like the interstate for the PMP system. Pretty much everything links into it and it'll take you wherever you want to go. It's pretty minimal for ability, or fun. It's almost a beach cruiser trail, IMO.

    1A, VOAZ, Irregular, 8/8A are the more interesting ones.
    I think trail 100 is a perfect start. Tough in places, smooth in others. It can be hard to judge one area's techy stuff vs another. Ride trail 100 use that to judge the level of chunk you want. If you want more we can direct you more. If you want less we have that too. I ride 3-5 mail trail areas as my local base. Each one has different stuff to offer and I pick the one I ride for the day.

    - Black Canyon Trail (BCT) from Anthem = Epic feel since you are sort of out there and can ride it for 60 miles if you wish. Some techy chunk to keep you thinking, but mostly a flowing trail with tight turns and ups/downs. So good climbs.

    -BCT from Black Canyon city = Epic again, but this area is my big climbs/exposure and moderate tech. Slow pace due to the tight turns.

    -Maricopa / Go-John = The maricopa has lot of loose rock to climb over. Not super techy , but it can bounce you around. Go-John is smooth for large part, but get nasty in places. Rideble on a hardtail XC bike if you are willing to give it a try and some HAB.

    - Phx Sonoran Preserve (PSP) = Smoother caridio super hwy. Few rocks, but nice short, but steep climbs. Great place for a beginner or if you really want to get your climibing legs going.

    - Trail 100 = rolling hills with loose rock and occasional chunk. No HAB, but plenty of places to make you think.

    Those are the trails I have ridden a few times this season and each is different. I what I ride depends on what I am in the mood for today.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  13. #13
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by tjscrogins99 View Post
    If you are heading out before work Friday or Saturday let me know.
    I'm actually home in CO this week (I do 3 out of 4 weeks in AZ).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    Thanks for showing me around easy... Great trails ended up riding every morning only ran out of time not trails or the desire.

    Beautiful landscape weather was great I will be coming back when I have less business to deal with and more time to ride. And when I can bring my 29er fs... 26 hard tail was interesting on that terrain.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.