mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Phoenix to SE Texas

Next weekend I'll be driving from Phoenix to Southeast Texas and I wanted to break the journey up with a 2 or 3 hour ride somewhere en route.

Can anyone here advise on any good riding spots worth pulling over on for a few hours riding?

My initial thoughts were somewhere around El Paso but I have no idea what, if any, riding there is around there.

I was thinking Tucson area would probably offer the best options but it's a little early to be stopping.

Somewhere in West Texas maybe?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member

AZTrail just past Tucson

If you pull off south on 83, just past Tucson, and park on Sahuarita road you could hit some nice sections of the AZ trail.

im4Gsus
    austin, texas has some neat trails. scorpionwoman is always posting pics of her great adventures in the passion forum.

if you haven't done it already, post a thread in the texas forum.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member

Franklin Mtns, El Paso Tx

I totally spaced the Franklin Mountains in the middle of El Paso. I rode in a 50mile race there back in Feb. Nice desert singletrack but really rocky in spots, can be abusive on tires. I think I had 3 flats in that race.
    More info here: http://elpasopuzzler.wordpress.com/course-information/
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cheers all

Just the kind of thing I was looking for.

Tucson might be a bit early to stop but it is still tempting.

El Paso and Austin were both intended stops over the weekend so they would both work.

The descent video on the El Paso trail looks good - although the MB profile for the short loop looks particularly unfair if that climb is what you end on

Cheers, again

Black and Sticky

Rocky Hill Ranch

It's near Smithville, TX, which is about 50 miles SE of Austin on SR 71. Look at the trails review section and there is info there.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Once you hit El Paso, there is Roughrider Canyon, which is mostly FR/DH stuff. South of there is Big Bend Park and Terlingua, which hosts the Mas-O-Menos race on the same weekend as Old Pueblo.

From there, your next stop will be Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort, TX. Its one of my favorites in Texas. Its right off the I-10, just west of San Antonio.

From there you can head up to Rocky Hill Ranch, as well as Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda. Make sure you stop off at Hruskas for kolaches! BCR also has an awesome hamburger from cattle raised on their ranch.

From there, heading north will take you to Austin where there is some great riding, or heading east to Houston you'll pretty much be disappointed.

In between El Paso and Comfort there is basically NOTHING.

mtbr member
    funboarder1971 layed it out.

When you get to Austin, find a local to take you on a tour of the Greenbelt "Back trails".

Log on to

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14

and post up your quest.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mr. wonderful
    To hell with riding, stop off at Hueco Tanks for climbing (or a hike), Marfa for art, and Big Bend National Park for a hike. All three are absolutely incredible places that should be on every person's must see list

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been wanting to hit the Dona Ana network a little north of Las Cruces off I-25. Several trails there but it's already warming up so at Cloudcroft another trail I want to explore is the Rim Trail at 9000' and cool. 32 miles of trail. Also the High Altitude Race Course, Osha Trail and La Luz Canyon to explore.
    Riding near and in Big Bend, too.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    From there, your next stop will be Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort, TX. Its one of my favorites in Texas. Its right off the I-10, just west of San Antonio.
    I left Phoenix later than planned and didn't really have time for two stops so I went with a few hours at Flat Rock Ranch this morning. I did the Upper Loop and had a blast. Saw a few cardinals fly out of trees as I came by, some goats (? - they're heads looked goat like, they had horns but were clad with wool like a sheep) and best of all was an ass/donkey which totally took me by surprise

Thanks to everyone for the advice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Once you hit El Paso, there is Roughrider Canyon, which is mostly FR/DH stuff. South of there is Big Bend Park and Terlingua, which hosts the Mas-O-Menos race on the same weekend as Old Pueblo.

From there you can head up to Rocky Hill Ranch, as well as Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda. Make sure you stop off at Hruskas for kolaches! BCR also has an awesome hamburger from cattle raised on their ranch.

From there, heading north will take you to Austin where there is some great riding, or heading east to Houston you'll pretty much be disappointed.

In between El Paso and Comfort there is basically NOTHING.
    All these spots are sweet....spec. RoughRider Canyoun, that place is sick ,4x4 only to the top

Members who have read this thread: 0