Phoenix-Moab- Mtbr.com

Thread: Phoenix-Moab

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Phoenix-Moab

how long is the drive from Phoenix to Moab? any other route than 17-89-160-163?
    breezy shade

My other ride is your mom

I'm here to help you buddy

since you posted this on MTBR, I'm going to assume you are aware of a modern invention called the "internets".....however you may not be aware of a new application called "Google Maps". I have the link below for your convenience......note that you can move the line all over the place to "game" your route....for instance, should you decide to drive from PHX-Alberquerque-Denver-Glenwood Springs-Moab, it will compute your time......amazing.........however I did not bother trying this permutation myself since I'm a very busy man and I'm just guessing that would take a bit longer than the straight shot through 4-corners.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...453979&t=h&z=8

mtbr member
    Takes about 8 to 9 hours. My family is from there. Go through Mexican Hat (Monument Valley) instead of Mexican Water. Either way takes the same amount of time, but Mexican Hat is more interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    how long is the drive from Phoenix to Moab? any other route than 17-89-160-163?
    8 hours by car. 3 weeks by horse.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    Takes about 8 to 9 hours. My family is from there. Go through Mexican Hat (Monument Valley) instead of Mexican Water. Either way takes the same amount of time, but Mexican Hat is more interesting.
    Yeah, I second this route suggestion... going through 4 corners adds a bunch of time

Elitest thrill junkie
    About 20-24 hours from Moab to Phoenix for the ticket and then waiting for my buddy to make bail at some stupid small town halfway in between.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    since you posted this on MTBR, I'm going to assume you are aware of a modern invention called the "internets".....however you may not be aware of a new application called "Google Maps". I have the link below for your convenience......note that you can move the line all over the place to "game" your route....for instance, should you decide to drive from PHX-Alberquerque-Denver-Glenwood Springs-Moab, it will compute your time......amazing.........however I did not bother trying this permutation myself since I'm a very busy man and I'm just guessing that would take a bit longer than the straight shot through 4-corners.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...453979&t=h&z=8
    +1 FTW

Elitest thrill junkie
    There's also two answers:

There's the "I'm traveling with my family and grandma, obeying all posted speed limits and need to stop in every town, so it will take me almost 50% longer"

Then there's the: "I'm going to go as fast as possible, and if I'm lucky I won't get caught, I'm probably even going to tell you it will take less time than I just pulled it off in because I really think I could have cruised at 120mph during that one stretch, and I am just that fast".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EDR
    We leave my house by Hawes at 4:30am. We're riding Bartlett Wash on the other end of Moab by 1:30-ish. We stop to piss and eat maybe once and we do not obey the speed limit laws one bit.

Oh yeah...Mexican Hat for me also.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Just watch out for rockslides during heavy rains (monument valley way). Ran into a huge rockslide going the mexican hat way and turned around. Still haven't taken that way yet...need to though! Usually 8 hrs. I think Smokin Spokes and doodoo did it in about 7 during the night!!!! They must have ran over many many dogs on the way.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    PHX-Alberquerque-Denver-Glenwood Springs-Moab
    My last time there I went this route, although I flew from PHX-Denver-Moab then drove back to PHX. That was a fun day. I had to pick up my car that broke down in Moab and couldn't find a ride there, so I flew. Took about 7.5 hours to drive back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Yeah, I second this route suggestion... going through 4 corners adds a bunch of time
    And, if you're hungry, highly recommend the Swinging Steak in Mexican Hat. Great grub, cold (3.2) beer, good music (the house band is amazing), and if you're lucky, you'll meet the guy who did the voice for Kermit the Frog.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Tucson, AZ
    Look up Paradox Pizza in Moab, a fellow mountain biker and his wife started it. It's right next to the brewery that serves >3% beer....mmmmmm Utah beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sweet its that time of year again!! Got to ride the Whole Enchilada!! And I also do Barlett the afternoon we arrive. Have fun.

EDR
    My buddies just got back yesterday from doing the trip I planned.........but didn't make!!! They did TWE and saw next to nobody the entire way down, including Porc. Here's a quick taste of the 'biggest 4 footer to flat'., I thought his Enduro was going to fold in half, hahah...........WARNING! minor foul language.....I would edit if I knew how to.

It was cold...........very cold up top.

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 09-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks everybody, for the "real world " advice. much appreciated.
    breezy shade

Members who have read this thread: 0