mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Phoenix Mid to Late October

I am going to be in the SE Phoenix area with a Saturday to ride (likely solo) second to last weekend in October. I am at an advanced intermediate level. Looking at both the Hawes Loop or Gold Canyon trail system to ride on a Saturday morning. Do those sound compatible? Any other suggestions? I have ridden the Phoenix Mountain Preserve before and would like to try something different. South Mountain also looks interesting, but might be pushing my ability level.

Also, any tips on dealing with snake encounters is greatly appreciated as I never have to deal with those where I ride and the prospect has me nervous.

Thanks in advance.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM40 View Post
    I am going to be in the SE Phoenix area with a Saturday to ride (likely solo) second to last weekend in October. I am at an advanced intermediate level. Looking at both the Hawes Loop or Gold Canyon trail system to ride on a Saturday morning. Do those sound compatible? Any other suggestions? I have ridden the Phoenix Mountain Preserve before and would like to try something different. South Mountain also looks interesting, but might be pushing my ability level.

Also, any tips on dealing with snake encounters is greatly appreciated as I never have to deal with those where I ride and the prospect has me nervous.

Thanks in advance.
    First, don't try and pick one up...
    Second, don't ride w headphones...most will give themselves away by rattling.
    Third, ride fast...I've probably ridden over a dozen of them that are stretched out across the trail.
    And lastly, just be wary of going off trail and putting a foot down.

mtbr member
    I ride a lot and rarely see snakes. This not to mean they are not there, but I don't hang around to find them. I ride by a bunch I bet. Most of the ones I see are like Ray said. Layed out on the trail.. is that a stick? No snake and just roll over it and don't stop. Most of the time snakes don't want to be near you so if you make noise when stopped or are moving pretty fast when riding there is no issue.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I highly recommend Hawes and Gold Canyon - both are very scenic. If you give a preferred ride duration, I'm sure some will be happy to give you some route options as Hawes and Gold Canyon can have a learning curve as to the best way to link trails, and preferred direction in regards to riding the trails.
    I see a TON of snakes at Gold Canyon - seems like at least 4-5 every time I ride out there, some stretched out across the trial, some coiled, just pay attention and as Ray said, try and avoid the headphones since they'll likely let you know if you're too close! Another thing of note out at Gold Canyon is there are grazing cows/steers, so when flying around corners just keep an eye out for some big ole longhorns.

mtbr member
    Yep get yourself to Hawes or more adventurous and awesome Gold Canyon. Bring trailforks app with you, your going to need it Snakes are out when the sun starts going down in the summer and night time and sometimes early mornings. Buuuuut with the cooler weather this week I bet you couldn't find one any time of day out on the trail if you tried.

Low speed, High Drag
    I'd pick Hawes, if I only had one day to ride, but Gold Canyon is fun, too.

Don't worry about those snakes, just stay away from 'em, and they won't bother you. Once they coil, you can usually slowly walk away.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    We had these sneks out on the cyclocross race course yesterday here in AK:

Phoenix Mid to Late October-img_5756.jpg

Phoenix Mid to Late October-img_5781.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the replies. I would be looking at about a 2 hour duration ride probably starting around 10:00-10:30 a.m. so route suggestions would be greatly appreciated.