Phoenix light rail opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Phoenix light rail opinions?

I have a pretty good idea on what the opinions will be expressed on this topic by posting on a bicycle web board, but I thought I would ask anyway.

As some of you may know, the light rail system has received the go ahead to build and will break ground sometime this year. Currently the plan is a path that leads from Montebellow and 19th ave down to Longmore/Main in Mesa with the train making its way through the downtown corridor and past ASU. I am guessing that the long term plans would have the train going even further and possibly multuiple lines feeding to one or more central locations. Plans like this have worked in numerous other cities and I personally feel that it could work very well here also.

Perception will motivate people to ride the train over a bus system. The perception that a train is faster, safer and more reliable than a bus system will push more commuters who wouldn't otherwise us a public transportation system.

I'd love to hear your comments, questions or concerns about a light rail system in Phoenix.

Links for your reading pleasure:

Google search for Phoenix light rail

Phoenix light rail map

AZ light rail website

Valley Metro light rail website (These are the people who will manage the rail system

Ouch, I am hot!

My Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinturbo
    I have a pretty good idea on what the opinions will be expressed on this topic by posting on a bicycle web board, but I thought I would ask anyway.

As some of you may know, the light rail system has received the go ahead to build and will break ground sometime this year. Currently the plan is a path that leads from Montebellow and 19th ave down to Longmore/Main in Mesa with the train making its way through the downtown corridor and past ASU. I am guessing that the long term plans would have the train going even further and possibly multuiple lines feeding to one or more central locations. Plans like this have worked in numerous other cities and I personally feel that it could work very well here also.

Perception will motivate people to ride the train over a bus system. The perception that a train is faster, safer and more reliable than a bus system will push more commuters who wouldn't otherwise us a public transportation system.

I'd love to hear your comments, questions or concerns about a light rail system in Phoenix.

Links for your reading pleasure:

Google search for Phoenix light rail

Phoenix light rail map

AZ light rail website

Valley Metro light rail website (These are the people who will manage the rail system
    I am not opposed to the LR system, but I don't think it will affect most of us much. Maybe the bus commuters will benefit, but my guess is that most of us use cars. After all, this is the west. So, I am not excited too much. I would rather see more bike paths, safer dirvers, ect. I hope I don't get in trouble for my comments. Once, a drunk women called me an a$$hole because I assumed she owned a car when a group at a party was talking about this.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist
    If it were in place today I'd likely be using it. There will be a stop right by my house and right by my office downtown. The only varibles I see are 1) Will it run early enough in the morning for me 2) How long the travel will take 3) Will I still be living in my house or even Phx for tha matter by the time it is done. I think it is a great idea and long overdue for a metro area this large. how it manafiests itself in reality will be interesting to watch. I have to agree that more bike lanes are needed here as well.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    light rail=slow and not a lot of capacity...when looking at the millions that live in the valley, I'd think that something like the bay area's BART system would work better and have real results and advantages...although it isn't really a "light" system, but it does cruise at 80mph and there are enough trains to put up with a pretty big demand.

Back in california, there is a lightrail in sacramento....but phoenix is not sacramento. The "benefits" of light rail are pretty limited IMO...

caninus xerophilous

Remember ValTrans?

In the late 80's the Valley rejected the integrated bus and light rail plan. If memory serves me right, it would have been financed by a 1% increase in sales tax. I imagine the cost is signigantly higher this time around but for far less.

I believe that most car commuters will not convert to public transportation until gas hits $3 a gallon, which may be way sooner than we think.

Louis (rural commuter)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am not opposed to a light rail system. I think it will only be marginally successful in Phoenix. The problem with the Phoenix metropolitan area is that the bus system is crap. the light rail system cannot succeed without a dramatic increase in the number of bus routes and the number of busses on the road. Nobody wants to walk 1 mile to the nearest bus stop to get to the train station. Also, nobody wants to sit and wait for 30 min. in 100 degrees waiting for a bus.

The light rail will be used by many of the people currently on busses and by some who live close to a station or very far from downtown (where they work). Very much like the LA trains -- the blue line from the south is popular to take downtown for people looking to avoid traffic. Besides that, there's not much activity.