mtbr member
    May 2008

phoenix area camping?

I looked at McDowell Mountain Regional Park, but it sounds like RV hell, and it is a bit pricey at $25/night. What other options for camping and showers(not necessarily at the campsite) do I have?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    here's a camping option most mountainbikers don't think about..... Ben Avery shooting range north of Phoenix, on Carefree hwy. They have full facilities, and quite hours start early enough to not be a problem. Seperate area for tent camping, I think.
    Great riding a short drive away....BCT trailheads, Cave Creek, Sonoran Preserve, Prescott(1 hr), Flagstaff or Sedona (2 hr). Shopping center 5-10 min @ I-17 and Carefreee hwy.

Shotgun rental and ammo available, for a round or 2 of trap, skeet, or sporting clays. Voice-activated target machines, very nice facility operated by AZ fish and game dept. Nice/welcoming folks. Call ahead and they can give the info you need.

A fiend of mine from CO always camps at Deadhorse SP in Cottonwood, but that's 1.5 hrs north of Phoenix area. Deadhorse also has facilities.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    '06 Big Hit 1
    '06 Stump Jumper FSR
    http://www.youtube.com/Irishcarbombs85

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    check out the tent camping sites at McDowell reg. park. I think theres 10 sites. $10 or 12 a night

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    here's a camping option most mountainbikers don't think about..... Ben Avery shooting range north of Phoenix, on Carefree hwy. They have full facilities, and quite hours start early enough to not be a problem. Seperate area for tent camping, I think.
    Great riding a short drive away....BCT trailheads, Cave Creek, Sonoran Preserve, Prescott(1 hr), Flagstaff or Sedona (2 hr). Shopping center 5-10 min @ I-17 and Carefreee hwy.

Shotgun rental and ammo available, for a round or 2 of trap, skeet, or sporting clays. Voice-activated target machines, very nice facility operated by AZ fish and game dept. Nice/welcoming folks. Call ahead and they can give the info you need.

A fiend of mine from CO always camps at Deadhorse SP in Cottonwood, but that's 1.5 hrs north of Phoenix area. Deadhorse also has facilities.
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion. How would I get to a BCT trailhead from the shooting range? Unfortunately, the Black Canyon Trails website only gives exit numbers off 17 and not street/highway names. How about Cave Creek and the Sonoran Preserve? Thanks for any directions you can provide.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do any bike shops offer showers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    RV's and showers arent camping haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion. How would I get to a BCT trailhead from the shooting range? Unfortunately, the Black Canyon Trails website only gives exit numbers off 17 and not street/highway names. How about Cave Creek and the Sonoran Preserve? Thanks for any directions you can provide.
    Ben Avery is I-17 exit 223 (yes like the caliber )

mtbr member
    Ben Avery is just east of the I-17/Carefree hwy intersection.
    BCT-- north about 30 min to exit 242 Rock Springs. or further north to Bumble Bee exit. Both trailheads are on west side of I-17.
    Cave Creek rec area trails-- east on Carefree about 15 min.
    Sonoran Pres-- about 15 southeast. See this link.... http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/north...de-740824.html
    Deem Hills-- similar to Sonoran Pres, just smaller. West across I-17 from SP, access Deem Hills rec area for TH and facilities. Both SP and Deem Hills are great for night riding.