Tucson, AZ

A person that inspired us all...

....has left us. Thank you Anthony for the motivation and your time/effort that you gave to AZSF 08. You will be missed by many people. You have influenced so many people, inspired so many to ride, and given us some inspiring words through it all. Your website inspired us all.

Today is a sad, sad day. We lost one damn good mountain biker and friend. Prayers out to your family.

Too many Sedonuts...
    OMG. That is tragic. Anthony will absolutely be missed.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Tucson, AZ
    Remember when he brought that big flask to the SoMo Party? Classic move that embodies his personality and joy.

mtbr member
    wow.
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    ....has left us. Thank you Anthony for the motivation and your time/effort that you gave to AZSF 08. You will be missed by many people. You have influenced so many people, inspired so many to ride, and given us some inspiring words through it all. Your website inspired us all.

Today is a sad, sad day. We lost one damn good mountain biker and friend. Prayers out to your family.
    Oh No!!!! I used to love looking at his photos, and was following his whole "so long MTBR" thread last year. Very sad day!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I love bike!
    I feel priviledged to have only met Anthony at a couple Yeti demos. What a cool guy and free spirit he was. Pleasure to talk with and really down to earth. Will miss his awesome posts about his many adventures too. What a tragic loss. Man life is too short sometimes. God Bless.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Remember when he brought that big flask to the SoMo Party? Classic move that embodies his personality and joy.
    Ha ha...do I remember the big flask? Chad that was a defining moment in my life. Anthony introduced me that night to 12-year-old Balvenie Doublewood.

A classic move indeed.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    I believe this was the first time I rode with Anthony.

http://www.anthonysloan.com/fruitadeathmarch.html
    b

parenting for gnarness
    Wow! I only met Anthony a few times, but he was such a nice warm interesting person it stuck with you. His website and photos always inspired me, he was the first link on my blogroll. I feel like I knew him better than I did...

sad news.

didn't seem right to post it at first, but Anthony probably would have approved.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Ridin bikes is fun
    Just tragic.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

****. Heavy news indeed.

J, I'm glad you posted that photo. I only met Anthony a few times over the years, but that shot captures my memories of him well. I'm glad I have them. I'm glad I pushed to get the time off work to go to SoMo that Friday, ride, and hang out. That was one of the best days of 2008 (and for me that's saying a lot).

Lesson to me: do it now. Don't wait.

I finished my first year of graduate school today. I'll go ride down to the liquor store soon to get some scotch, and toast his memory at the party tonight.

Cheers, all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse

J, I'm glad you posted that photo. I only met Anthony a few times over the years, but that shot captures my memories of him well. .
    Here is a photo that seems like it belongs in this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=452477
    b

i like cheese.
    That is truly sad news... Very sorry to hear.

I love bike!
    Very strange that his last blog is titled "One last trip down to Arizona".

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Lesson to me: do it now. Don't wait.
    word.

Tucson, AZ

Anthony and Yeti Co. picture from 50-year Trail, 2008

I think I have a few more pictures from the AZSF on my personal PC, but here is one I found on Picasa.

Ionsmuse said it best when he mentioned that he would be riding and drinking in his honor. I encourage you to do the same or do a MTBR search under his name for his threads, you will want to quit your job and start riding your entire life after viewing them. He brought mountain biking to life in his posts in a way few others have before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You're right, azepic. I've been trying to think of a way to articulate how AnthonyS's posts and website made me feel but I haven't had any success. I think you said it best regarding how his writing would make you want to quit your job and ride all of the time, or at least alter your life so that you could ride significantly more.

Anthony, without ever suggesting so directly, made me question my priorities like no one else ever has. How could you see his pictures and not wonder about why you spend so many hours every year slaving away in an office? And now, with his death, this feeling is so much stronger. I hope I eventually get the courage to make a change.

AKA shitbird
    I didn't know Anthony personally but remember his website very well. I forget how I originally came across it but after looking at bike related pics and being truly impressed (stunning photography!) I checked out other parts of his website and was blown away by the Cambodia story. After reading that I found myself deeply saddened but also greatly inspired in some strange way; things like that happen when you put your own life in perspective I guess. I have that site as a favorite and go back to it every once in awhile just to wander off in whatever photos/ story's he posts.

After reading what people have have to say about Anthony on mtbr and over on another site it linked to (Mojo?) it is amazing the profound impact this guy had on so many people!! A person who lived life to the fullest and passed it on to many people..... we should all be so lucky to know somebody like that and strive to be that person ourselves.

www.anthonysloan.com
    JRA

In the rear with the beer
    I never met Anthony and just discovered his pictures. Based on all of the great comments about this man, I really wish I had met him. It seems he inspired many, many people and helped promote hope and kindness in his interactions with others. I think I could have learned a lot from him. The kind of comments people have made about Anthony are the kind we should all strive to have made about us someday. I wish that I had known him so that I could be more like him. Reading all of this is really causing me to reflect on how others view me and I'm realizing I need to make some changes.

From what I have read, Anthony listened, observed, inspired and spread oveall "good vibes" (for lack of a better term) and hope. I admire him. My prayers for his family, they can be comforted somewhat by the fact that Anthony made a great and positive impact on a lot of people. The world needs more people like him, and I hope I can use this inspiration to make some good changes and carry on some of the "good vibes" he created while in this world.

The time is now, life is short.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

oh Lucky me
    wow, i used to love his post's in the passion forum and his website is truly magical!

very sad day...
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

im4Gsus

just curious...

pls pardon me if this is not appropriate, but i've read many of the threads of anthony's passing but haven't found out what happened to him. does anyone know?

i too was very inspired by his posts and pictures. prayers of comfort for his family and close friends.

ms k
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    pls pardon me if this is not appropriate, but i've read many of the threads of anthony's passing but haven't found out what happened to him. does anyone know?

i too was very inspired by his posts and pictures. prayers of comfort for his family and close friends.

ms k
    I'm pretty sure in the Yeti forum someone close to him wrote the autopsy revealed an enlarged heart. Cause for the enlarged heart had not been determined.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLobster
    Hi all,

A close friend of Anthony asked me to post this:

Anthony's family has received a preliminary autopsy report. As far as I can understand it (and, honestly, I really can't...), Anthony died in his sleep, of natural causes. The coroner's office found that his heart was enlarged and are attributing his death to this condition. Apparently this heart problem has different causes, and we're not sure at this point if those can be determined or not. It does not appear that Anthony died of a brain aneurysm, as we all suspected given his family history. We do not yet have the written report, but rest assured, it will be studied and explored by his family. The good news is that Anthony most likely was not aware of any problem, and probably never woke. He died peacefully and painlessly, which is a small comfort to know.

Anthony's body will be cremated, and his family will scatter his ashes in Utah, at Cedar Mesa, where Anthony's father's ashes were also scattered. Anthony's family will continue to maintain his website. www.anthonysloan.com. It is an amazing repository of his photography, writing, and travel chronicles.
    This was taken from the Yeti Forum. The complete post can be found here. 2nd Page.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=517081
    ~~~

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    I'm pretty sure in the Yeti forum someone close to him wrote the autopsy revealed an enlarged heart. Cause for the enlarged heart had not been determined.
    thx dave, i saw the post suling pointed me to and read the same about his enlarged heart. many beautiful sentiments in there and all over this site. sad indeed.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Members who have read this thread: 0