Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359

    Performance Bike, REI or the LBS?

    My Siren Twinzer single speed frame goes out to powder coat next week and I'm considering having REI or Performance souce the rest of the bike and put it together for me
    I recently found out that Performance Bike will price match any On-Line price allowing you to purchese bike parts just like you would online. Most LBS seem troubled when you want a Brown Chris king Hub or what ever. They just want to push the Bike in Which they have an Agreement with out the door. Some have bad relationships with Easton,or other manufactures. Cannondale (I needed a differnt length Lefty Stem and the shop that sold me the bike never made a real effort to souce one out but had no trouble selling me a bike a size too big, while REI and Performance are telling me they can get just about any thing and would love to put together a bike whether I bought it there or not.
    I say F the LBS I havent fell in love with any of them after 15 years as an Adult Biker.
    They Shut you down If you want anymore than what is on their floor.
    Steel Freak
    Last edited by Steel Freak; 11-19-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,276
    you just blew my mind...thanks for the enrichment.




  3. #3
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Is this a drunk post?
    JRA

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos View Post
    Is this a drunk post?
    I certainly hope so....

  5. #5
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    About a 5 beer post
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,031
    I think Dick's Sporting Goods will do the best job in your particular situation. I urge you to give them a try.

  7. #7
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359

    I will go check them out man

    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I think Dick's Sporting Goods will do the best job in your particular situation. I urge you to give them a try.
    Thanks for the tip
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    391
    Man I have werked at them shops. I hated it when I werked in the LBS and had to sell Chris Browns hubs. People kept tellin me that they needed them fer there steel bikes.I loved werkin at the shop when I was made to match prices tho. I mean why should my boss who lives in the same town as me make any money when them corprate guys can get me the best deal. Who wouldn't want to support them anywayz?
    I finally sayz to get mer job at one of them shiny corprte plazes. Thens I can give stuff away all day long. i like to search the webz for people and just gets sum dealz going. I really like it when they waste so much of the LBss time before they come in hur all angry and n a huff for a deal. Man Uh got mad deals for days, cause we have to match every cheap price you can find. Muh frinds made a fake site with redonkulous prices that you can have them crzy helpful REI dudes match. It werks everay time.
    In my five seconds of intranutz fame I just need to say i hate them LBss. Sapport tha corporations. They know whuts best for ma Siren Tweaker frame. I love Dicks. A lot.

  9. #9
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by midget View Post
    Man I have werked at them shops. I hated it when I werked in the LBS and had to sell Chris Browns hubs. People kept tellin me that they needed them fer there steel bikes.I loved werkin at the shop when I was made to match prices tho. I mean why should my boss who lives in the same town as me make any money when them corprate guys can get me the best deal. Who wouldn't want to support them anywayz?
    I finally sayz to get mer job at one of them shiny corprte plazes. Thens I can give stuff away all day long. i like to search the webz for people and just gets sum dealz going. I really like it when they waste so much of the LBss time before they come in hur all angry and n a huff for a deal. Man Uh got mad deals for days, cause we have to match every cheap price you can find. Muh frinds made a fake site with redonkulous prices that you can have them crzy helpful REI dudes match. It werks everay time.
    In my five seconds of intranutz fame I just need to say i hate them LBss. Sapport tha corporations. They know whuts best for ma Siren Tweaker frame. I love Dicks. A lot.
    Amen to that, Tired of dealing with pertntious ****** bags who sell Bamboo Bikes to trophey wives for 5 grand. Once you try to ask an LBS who sells high end to price match you find your self walked away from.

    This would not even be an Issue back home (in So Cal) we had awesome bike shops that were worth keeping in Business, Bicycle Johns, Cambria Bicycle Outfitter in SLO the Path Tustin. AZ is a good place to buy guns not bikes
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,031
    You could probably move back to CA.

  11. #11
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Can't take some of my Guns with me but it's crossed my mind. The Riding is a lot better in SLO than Phoenix.
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,031
    Heck, I'll donate $5 to your move in the hopes of incrementally raising the gross IQ here.

  13. #13
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359

    Please Send Donations to Steel Freak

    Great Idea maybe you guys can send your donations to my Pay Pal Account. Your Awsome Blatant
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    I got $5 on it
    JRA

  15. #15
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359

    Hope

    5 and 5 is 10 right, Dudes you can do better than that.
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    735
    Wait I can get a trophy wife for 5 grand? Wow thats much cheaper than I thought they cost!

  17. #17
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Times are Tough here in Phoenix it's amazing what a chick will do for an In and Out Burger as long as she is not from a Scottsdale Bar.
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  18. #18
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Wait I can get a trophy wife for 5 grand? Wow thats much cheaper than I thought they cost!
    ukrainian.
    i hear SF's mom will do ya cheap, she advertises on the internet.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Steel Freak - if REI and Performance are the best shops you've found, just keep looking. Call around and find a shop with actual bike enthusiasts working there. Look for one with used/consignment gear. Ask how much to do a complete build. Ask if they can get super high-end stuff and gauge their response. The best LBSs are the ones that will do literally anything related to a bike if it makes the customer happy and brings in a few bucks. They're tough to find, but they're out there. A good rule of thumb: the shop with the least square footage is likely to be the shop you're looking for.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    Great Idea maybe you guys can send your donations to my Pay Pal Account. You're Awesome Blatant
    fixed it for ya'.

    i don't dispute some bike shops have their tools, all bike shops have tools that shop there, (no, this is not a jab at you freak, honestly). know a dude that has a retail rc shop, he said when folks come in and ask for an on-line price match he says he'll do it, they pay for it today then they can pick it up in 3-5 days, then the customer usually has the deer in the headlights look. local and online shops are both in business to make money and each has their benefits and downfalls. it's not right, imho, to go into joe's bike shop, (assuming joe's is nice and a worthy bike shop) take their time and use their knowledge then buy online and expect them to meet it AND throw in a bike bottle AND fix it for free when i break something because of my inexperience. joe's won't be around for long.

  21. #21
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by daschlag View Post
    Steel Freak - if REI and Performance are the best shops you've found, just keep looking. Call around and find a shop with actual bike enthusiasts working there. Look for one with used/consignment gear. Ask how much to do a complete build. Ask if they can get super high-end stuff and gauge their response. The best LBSs are the ones that will do literally anything related to a bike if it makes the customer happy and brings in a few bucks. They're tough to find, but they're out there. A good rule of thumb: the shop with the least square footage is likely to be the shop you're looking for.
    Going back to the subject of my original 5 beer post, I agree, There is a nice little shop up on Bell and 32nd that has a Niner I might lay away for My GF's b day. (after X-mas).

    Price is not the only factor that has me sore on the LBS's in Town (the smallest factor actually) It's more the vibe, a lot of attitude and ADD with the employees. When building a dream bike I seems that the LBS takes forever and a day to source the parts the is offended If you do it for them. I think communication skills in the local shops is about at the level of this thread and really kills my desire to help the little guy stay in Business. The cool thing about some of the LBS is that they have cool bikes to ride or rent so you can figure out what you want. Those Perfomance stores and REI don't have that going for them however the level of service REI in particular is much higher than any LBS in town.
    The corperation keeps the cool dudes in check and they don't forget that you are the customer.

    Making a shout out to an On Line Retailer or a big corp is never popular on MTBR. Our members cringe at the fact that 4 grand or better will be spent out side of the Beloved LBS
    Business is Business sorry if my shout out to REI or Performance and the great pricing and service has members of MTBR up in arms over my overly high expectations.

    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  22. #22
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    ukrainian.
    i hear SF's mom will do ya cheap, she advertises on the internet.
    I will remember this post if I see you out on SOMO. Hope you can ride fast
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    Thanks for the tip
    SF
    S.F.I think you might be mixed up, you may be able to get the deal you want however don't just stop at the back door go al the way in and make sure they give you that big box store service your bucking for.

  24. #24
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    oooh. keyboard courage, did you order that online too?
    let meet face to face and talk about my mom what do you think?
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  25. #25
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    I will remember this post if I see you out on SOMO. Hope you can ride fast
    SF
    oooh. keyboard courage, did you order that online too?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  26. #26
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    let meet face to face and talk about my mom what do you think?
    i think someone needs to go ride their bike.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i think someone needs to go ride their bike.
    0o0o0 did you order your bike online too... **** that doesnt really look as funny as I pictured it in my mind


    ETA: no I didnt get my mind online too!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    0o0o0 did you order your bike online too... **** that doesnt really look as funny as I pictured it in my mind
    I don't understand the 1st part, but I don't care about the 1st part after reading the 2nd part. It makes the whole quote funny.

  29. #29
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Reputation: Steel Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i think someone needs to go ride their bike.
    your probably right no worries
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    Price is not the only factor that has me sore on the LBS's in Town (the smallest factor actually) It's more the vibe, a lot of attitude and ADD with the employees. When building a dream bike I seems that the LBS takes forever and a day to source the parts the is offended If you do it for them. I think communication skills in the local shops is about at the level of this thread and really kills my desire to help the little guy stay in Business.

    Making a shout out to an On Line Retailer or a big corp is never popular on MTBR. Our members cringe at the fact that 4 grand or better will be spent out side of the Beloved LBS
    Business is Business sorry if my shout out to REI or Performance and the great pricing and service has members of MTBR up in arms over my overly high expectations.

    SF
    I could be wrong here, but maybe it's your attitude when you walk into a bike shop. If you go into somebody's business trying to devalue what they have to offer, you'll probably get attitude from the staff. If they recommend certain brands over others, hear them out as to why before you say "They don't like Chris King hubs because they make more money on I9."

    Communication is a 2 way street. Again, if you have an attitude while trying to find out the status of your stuff, you'll get attitude. Maybe, you should ask when you order stuff. I've always asked and almost always received my stuff when they said I would. I've always anticipated my stuff to arrive when it did, and no sooner.

    Understand, unlike pricepoint, the LBS doesn't have a 25000 sq ft warehouse full of every part anybody can think of. In order to get you the best deal they can, they have to go through many different distributors to get all the parts you want.

    Maybe you should become a customer of online retailers though. You'll find that they wont try to suggest different brands that may be better that what you're purchasing, you'll have more fun if you have any warranty issues and you wont be dragged into any group rides or conversations with people that actually ride. Instead, you'll get the warm fuzzy glow of your computer monitor and help on the phone from a lady named Jim who sounds just like the waiter at India Palace when sh*t breaks.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Similar Threads

  1. Buying a bike from Performance Bike from overseas. Advice please?
    By peternguyen in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 08:48 PM
  3. Performance bike
    By Freerydejunky in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 01:52 AM
  4. 10% Off Performance Bike
    By matthewboley in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
  5. Performance bike F#ck up...
    By Reek in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 09:29 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.