Performance Bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Performance Bike...

Yesterday I went to Performance Bike of Speedway in Tucson and picked up a tube for my girlfriends bike. I accidentally got the wrong type (presta instead of schraeder). I've been running tubeless for about 4 years now, so I forgot to look. I also lost my receipt as well...I know...I'm an idiot.
    However when I went in there today to see if I could exchange it, the manager (Brian) started ranting and raving on how the tubes should be buyer beware right in front of me. I realize the 5 minutes it took to do the exchange must have been a big strain on his overworked day . It's not like I shop at Performance Bike all that often, nor will I ever again, but what ever happened to customer service???
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way...turn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Shop in Peoria is great. Would have been in and out it a min.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Performance is just another "big box" store with many employees. And like any big box store, you're experience is going to vary based on the person you speak to.

I generally find the NE Scottsdae to be good. Not always very helpful...but courteous.

On another note -- I find shopping at Performance Bike to be REALLY boring. White walls. White floors. Bland everything. And to top it off...the music they play over the loudspeaker is totally outrageous. Today I was at the NE Scotts Performance and, as always, they had the "70's elevator songs" channel blaring with great hits such as Copa Cabana!! I mean...c'mon...really...Bashas plays more interesting music over their loudspeaker. I think Performance needs to do some investigation into their target demographic. Even the 60+ year old cyclists that I know think Performance is boring.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Brian huh, no not him.
    SHITBIRD

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm Huh?

Today I was at the NE Scotts Performance and, as always, they had the "70's elevator songs" channel blaring with great hits such as Copa Cabana!!

If you don't like the music wear your ipod!

BTW: Smart shoppers don't go to Performance Bike, Walmart, Costco, and all the other "Big Box" stores for their "Customer Service", because it is almost non-existent. Smart shoppers go to these places for the prices. You want customer service? Keep looking and quit *****ing'!
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

Professional Amateur
    Hit or miss, sometimes I am pleasantly surprised there. I dont think I'll be renewing my membership this next year unless I get my wife a new bike (not bloody likely)

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    Today I was at the NE Scotts Performance and, as always, they had the "70's elevator songs" channel blaring with great hits such as Copa Cabana!!

If you don't like the music wear your ipod!
    Oh puhleez...can you make a more ridiculous suggestion? Wearing iPods in a store is about the rudest thing imaginable. The only thing ruder is those asshats who find it necessary to hold a conversation on their cell phone as they try to check out with the cashier. Unbelievable!

My comment about the music/aesthetics in Performance stores was not a rant. I was merely commenting that they are missing their demographic with that crap. Any marketing genious will tell you that a store that makes a customer feel "attached" will get much more business from that customer. And by "attached" I mean a place you want to spend time. I do not want to spend time in a store that plays horrible elevator music with a total bland color scheme. I want to get in and out of there as fast as possible -- and that's what happens when I visit a Performance (I just shop there for the "necessities").

I know it's a little hard for Performance, since they have to attract both the kids and adults, but c'mon...I don't know any demographic that wants to hear the Bee Gee's or Barry Manilow.

BTW: Smart shoppers don't go to Performance Bike, Walmart, Costco, and all the other "Big Box" stores for their "Customer Service", because it is almost non-existent. Smart shoppers go to these places for the prices. You want customer service? Keep looking and quit *****ing'!
    Actually, Performance Bike has better customer service than the majority of the bike shops I've been to! At least their employees pass the rudeness test.

Thx...Doug

Tucson, AZ
    Errrr.... I was there when this all went down. Sorry you had a bad experience. If you ever need anything on the weekend, just ask for me. Most of us at the Peformance on Speedway live to ride/promote cycling and would be more than happy to help anyone.

BTW, The Speedway store tends to listen to Popular Music during the day and Rock in the evening (AFI, Slipnot, Rage, etc).

Chad

mtbr member
    Chad I have no problem with anyone at Performance (other than the manager). I've never had a bad experience, before this, at ANY of the bike shops in town, including Performance. But there was no need to treat anyone the way I was treated. If I ever find myself back in there I'll make sure I talk to you.

On a side note, the music there is actually pretty decent.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way...turn.

Elitest thrill junkie
    (Dissonant sounds are heard: a drum...music...metal stairs.) "As governor, Performance Bike vetoed mandatory sentences for drug dealers." (A guard with a rifle climbs the circular stairs of a prison watchtower. The words "The Performance Bike Furlough Program" are superimposed on the bottom of the prison visual.) "They vetoed the death penalty." (A guard with a gun walks along a barbed wire fence.) "Their revolving door prison policy gave weekend furloughs to first-degree murderers not eligible for parole." (A revolving door formed by bars rotates as men in prison clothing walk in and back out the door in a long line. The words "268 Escaped" are superimposed.) "While out, many committed other crimes like kidnapping and rape." (The camera comes in for a closer shot of the prisoners in slow motion revolving through the door.) "And many are still at large." (The words "And Many Are Still At Large" are superimposed.) "Now Performance Bike says they want to do for America what they've done for Massachusetts." (The picture changes to a guard on a roof with a watchtower in the background.) "America can't afford that risk!" (A small color picture of Bush appears, and the words "Paid for by Bush/Quayle '88" appear in small print.)
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Performance takes anything back for any reason. Brian must have taken too much acid in High School. Complain to corporate.

I have returned probably 10 items at the NE Scottsdale store without any issue. Three of them saddles that I did not find comfortable. There is no way in hell I can complain about this place. Team Performance has been worth every penny and then some.
    I AM JUST A JERK

more beers, lees gears.
    yep. i broke a seat after 3 years of use. they swapped it out no problems.

I only shop there for the cheap prices on run of the mill stuff. I wont buy a bike there, nor any higher end parts. Let alone do they carry any 29er stuff.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

more beers, lees gears.
    double post.

mtbr member
    Matt, to take a seat back after 3 years is a little extreme it in my opinion. It was very nice of them to take it back. At least appreciate what they did and try to throw some more biz their way.

Consumer habits always perplex me.

I broke a spoke on a newer set of Mavic street wheels and I was JRA. Joe at the Scottsdale branch said they would get it fixed or get me a new wheel. Most shops would have told me tough luck and to see what Mavic would do. Itís hard to find good service and someone who has got your back when you need a little help. I will buy everything I possibly can at Performance to help support them because they help me in situations like the wheel. Support those who support you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    yep. i broke a seat after 3 years of use. they swapped it out no problems.

I only shop there for the cheap prices on run of the mill stuff. I wont buy a bike there, nor any higher end parts. Let alone do they carry any 29er stuff.

They now carry house brand 29er (700x52c) tubes. Not slimed, but they will get you home. This is likely in support of the Fuji line of 29ers that they carry, as well as the GT Peace and SE Stout 29ers.

I bought my Fuji 29er from the Speedway store, and have been pretty happy with the way they've taken care of me. Got me the right size bike quickly, and handled out-of-the-box (Fuji's fault) fork and derailleur issues promptly.

Professional Amateur
    They are starting to carry more 29er stuff, especially on their website. I pricematched a pair of Rampages and had them shipped for free to the Broadway store. It was a great deal as long as you don't need it right away. I have had ad experiences with orderonline-ship to store as well, but that's not the fault of the local store.

How are the fuji 29ers? I have seen some GT (I think) 29er bikes prominently displayed in the front of the store lately. Overall I think perf is good for everyday items and stuff when smaller shops are closed or on Sundays. I have most of the stuff I need that Perf sells, so I have been giving more business to local shops lately (AZ Cyclist is the latest)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Fuji I have is working out just fine. I've only compared based on test rides, but i liked it better than the Haro Mary, better than the KHS Solo One SE, better than the Cobia, and better than the Raleigh XXIX+G. I liked the Monocog Flight even more than the Fuji, but when I considered the cost of a decent fork and geared bits to get it to approximately the same spec, I couldn't do anything but choose the Fuji.

I also try to throw a little love toward the local shops, Fairwheel in particular. Most of what I buy at performance is small consumables, like tubes, cables, and chains.

I understand the rap that Performance gets, being a national chain, but the service I've received there is nothing short of impeccable. They've earned my business, and I'll keep going back.

more beers, lees gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Matt, to take a seat back after 3 years is a little extreme it in my opinion. It was very nice of them to take it back. At least appreciate what they did and try to throw some more biz their way.
    In all reality, it was a back up seat, that was barely used. it cracked once I started using it for real. It was their house brand, and basically split long ways. from commuting.

Had it broke after 3 years of hard abuse, or a fall, i would have never tried to return it.

Im actually a pretty easy going customer, having worked retail for a few years in college. i know when its a quality issue versus a customer issue. If they would have said no way, i would have been okay with that too.

banned
    They price match any online vendor so there is no need for bro-deals.

Checking out takes forever most of the time, but it's worth the low price.

mtbr member
    I know this guy that broke his Candy Peddles and returned them to the N Scottsdale store not once but four times and never had a problem no questions ask just gave him another pair. Now that’s service

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider
    I know this guy that broke his Candy Peddles and returned them to the N Scottsdale store not once but four times and never had a problem no questions ask just gave him another pair. Now thatís service

Somewhat agree, but I would gently suggest to that guy he should try some different pedals as it seems obvious those are not a good for for what/ how he's using them

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider
    I know this guy that broke his Candy Peddles and returned them to the N Scottsdale store not once but four times and never had a problem no questions ask just gave him another pair. Now thatís service
    Those r some sh*tty pedals though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Those r some sh*tty pedals though.
    Very True.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    It's interesting how Performance is often compared to big-box stores, yet has the absolute best return policy I've ever heard of. Ever try returning something that is 31, 60, 90 days, 1 year old to a Wal-Mart//Target.? I'm not an expert at their return policies (my wife does the shopping), but I'll guess that you can't return old broken stuff to them.

Yes, Performance is a big chain and probably lacks the feel/vibe of your LBS, and they have goofy prices...but a far cry from Wal-Mart.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by grnxb
    It's interesting how Performance is often compared to big-box stores, yet has the absolute best return policy I've ever heard of. Ever try returning something that is 31, 60, 90 days, 1 year old to a Wal-Mart//Target.? I'm not an expert at their return policies (my wife does the shopping), but I'll guess that you can't return old broken stuff to them.

Yes, Performance is a big chain and probably lacks the feel/vibe of your LBS, and they have goofy prices...but a far cry from Wal-Mart.
    my dad tried to return his ipod @ wallmart after 17 days and they wouldnt let him.

mtbr member
    Sorry about your bad experience there. I had a Performance tube valve stem snap on me as I was airing it up after a flat on an El Tour training ride last year. Took the broken valved tube back in and they replaced it immediately. You must have run into him on a bad day.

But one word of advice... NEVER deal with that "chad" guy.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    But one word of advice... NEVER deal with that "chad" guy.
    It's on.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    The absolute best place to buy DuraAce chains and tubes.

suvlako
    Brian the service manager is a great guy and a stand up dude!! Brian the manager, not so much... He has really made a name for himself. I guess you reap what you sow.

mtbr member

Just don't get caught!

The last thing you want is someone recognizing you entering, shopping or exiting.

So, I keep a set of these in the glove box so that I can shop at Performance...incognito.

Oh, and I mask my voice with a posh, thick, English accent when conversing with employees.
    "Yessss. Raather posh, ol' chap. Cheerio!"

Too many people have those phones with cameras. Think of your reputation!

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Brian the service manager is a great guy and a stand up dude!! Brian the manager, not so much... He has really made a name for himself. I guess you reap what you sow.

I've never had a problem with Brian the store manager, but I will attest to Brian the service manager being awesome. He's on top of things.

Fly High!
    ya Ive had one of the performance bike shops in phx pull some pretty shady stuff on me when I was a Newb!!!

Don't believe the Hype...
    "Ello Govna!"
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

In the rear with the beer
    I've gotten a used battery in a new light set i bought, this was after having to return the original light set I got b/c it didn't do what they said it did.

Also, non-threaded cartridges in a box of threaded cartridges.

Completely ignored numerous times.

But....i do occasionally go back, its like walmart on the south park episode....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Staying out of the way
    I picked up a Fuji Team there a few months ago and we were on the fence about the size (54cm vs. 56cm). In the end I ended up bringing back the 54cm after almost a month and they swapped me to the 56cm with a smile. Brian was directly involved in the deal and I even felt bad doing it, but he ensured me it was fine and that they just wanted to make sure I was happy.

Did you kick his dog in the ribs on the way in to the store or something?
    ...do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own - matt 6:34

A serious man.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling

I've been in Performance shops three times (2x on Ray, 1x N. Scottsdale) and have never once even been acknowledged by an employee. Will not be going back.

pedaller
    I guess the Walmart greeter routine DOES work...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

A serious man.
    Ha...yeah there is something to that concept.

I think I wanted to buy something that was in a locked case on the wall the first time, and the only guy I could see working there was on his cell phone behind the counter with his feet up.

Wouldn't usually bother me, but I go out of my way to shop at local stores (even Performance)... I feel like the least they can do is notice my presence.

just 1 more
    You guys that are going to Performance only for the little "consumables" aren't doing the neighborhood shops any favors. Tubes, cables, bottles (anyone still buy those?), and maybe lubes are HIGH profit. Buy those from the little shops if you're trying to give them some biz

A serious man.
    Will do, thanks for the heads up azjeff. Been doing my shopping at Domenics lately.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I have that same problem every time I am in Performance.

Members who have read this thread: 0