The Perfect AM Front Tire- Mtbr.com
    _____
    Jul 2007

The Perfect AM Front Tire

I'm looking for the perfect front tire for all of the trails at PMP Dreamy Draw.

Must be a 2.5.
    Must be XC fast rolling like the old WTB Weirwolf 2.55.
    Must be stronger and more durable than the Weirwolf.
    Must have a round profile for quick handling like the Weirwolf.
    Must have good traction and cornering bite, unlike the Weirwolf.
    Must be AM capable but not over built and heavy like most DH 2.5s.

Tires I've tried:
    Newly designed WTB Weirwolf 2.35, too small for the rocks at PMP. Might be the perfect tire they made it in a 2.5
    Old WTB Weirwolf 2.55, Fast rolling, quick handling but too lite for rocks and big drops. Discontinued by WTB. My favorite front tire so far.
    Kenda Nevegal, great traction but slow rolling.
    Maxxis Minion, Stable at speed, great traction but SLOW handling. Won't let me lay my bike over in the corners.
    Continental Mountain King, fast rolling, quick handling, scary horrible traction.

Does this perfect tire exist? Can I have my cake and eat it too?

74 & 29 pilot
    Maxxis Ignitor

Been using it on front for 2 years. It's solid and predictable.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Schwable big betty

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Maxxis Ignitor

Been using it on front for 2 years. It's solid and predictable.

MTBP
    According to the Maxxis site the biggest size for the Ignitor is only 2.35. IMO the rocks at PMP require a casing larger than 2.3.

mtbr member
    Kenda Slant Six. If a nevagal boinked a small block 8 their babies would look like this

mtbr member
    I run Arrow Racing Bite, awesome tire and its tubeless ready

Arrow Racing | Hand Crafted Frames, Components, and Tires

mtbr member
    Mayo Clinic Phx. Kidney TX 06-20-2019

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    According to the Maxxis site the biggest size for the Ignitor is only 2.35. IMO the rocks at PMP require a casing larger than 2.3.

HUH? I've been riding my 2.35s in PMP for 2 years; Used a 2.1 a one time early.

Okay, good luck.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FARTHAMMER View Post
    Kenda Slant Six. If a nevagal boinked a small block 8 their babies would look like this
    The new Slant Sixs look great and according to the Kenda site they are available in 2.5 but no one can get them.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Maxxis Minion Exo 3C, 2.5. Or Spec. Purgatory Grid 2.4 (it's a really big 2.4). Or Maxxis Ardent Exo (not tough enough for the rear, but good for front).

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynational View Post
    I run Arrow Racing Bite, awesome tire and its tubeless ready

Arrow Racing | Hand Crafted Frames, Components, and Tires
    Wow! Never heard of Arrow before. They don't show up in my google searches. I'll check them out.

Boriqua Puneta
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 or 2.4 snake skin. They dont last to long (and are hell of exspensive) but the grip is pretty good, weight is better then anything out there for the application and they are way faster then a Nevegal. Ive used the Slant 6 in the front at dreamy draw and its not grippy. In the the rear theyre awsome. You just need to get used to not having to much traction in the back but the low rolling resistance for climbs makes up for it. Im thinking of trying out the Maxxis Ardent for the front when my Nobby Nic goes out. You can get by with a 2.25-2.35 casing just fine at dreamy draw that way you save on rotational weight.
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Maxxis Minion Exo 3C, 2.5. Or Spec. Purgatory Grid 2.4 (it's a really big 2.4). Or Maxxis Ardent Exo (not tough enough for the rear, but good for front).
    Your the second vote for the Purgatory. Thanks for specifying which model (Grid). Lighter than a DH tire at 885gm, 2.4 width and classed as AM (not XC) by Specialized. Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I should specify that -- though I've run it on both ends --- I personally prefer the Purg. in the rear. I think the Minion DHf 3C Exo is the perfect front tire.

Shred...it's the new drug
    You pretty much summed up the Maxxis Ardent...very cheap these days on the interwebs.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chtorres2 View Post
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 or 2.4 snake skin. They dont last to long (and are hell of exspensive) but the grip is pretty good, weight is better then anything out there for the application and they are way faster then a Nevegal. Ive used the Slant 6 in the front at dreamy draw and its not grippy. In the the rear theyre awsome. You just need to get used to not having to much traction in the back but the low rolling resistance for climbs makes up for it. Im thinking of trying out the Maxxis Ardent for the front when my Nobby Nic goes out. You can get by with a 2.25-2.35 casing just fine at dreamy draw that way you save on rotational weight.
    The Nobby Nics are pricey but worth it if they work well for me. Trying to decide between the Nic or the Purgatory now.

Thanks for all the great advice.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I should specify that -- though I've run it on both ends --- I personally prefer the Purg. in the rear. I think the Minion DHf 3C Exo is the perfect front tire.
    I ran a Minion 2.35 on the front a couple years ago and it had great traction but I found it was hard to lay the bike down in the corners. I switched to a more round profile tire (I think a Conti Mountain King) I was amazed at how much more flickable my bike felt in the corners with the Conti. That was a couple years ago when I first switched to a full suspension bike from 15 years on a hard tail. Riding a FS bike has completely changed my rding style. I might have to try the Minion again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ardernt 2.4 is about as close as you will get without getting tractor tire. It seems to work well for me at SoMt on my rigid.

mtbr member
    agreed on the purg. it works well on the rear but i can't imagine running it as a front tire in loose, rocky conditions. it rolls good, braking is decent and it is large volume to add some cush but the cornering is nothing amazing imo.

RHRF!
    2.5 Nevegal Folding, Stick-E compound. Crushes everything in it's path and lasts a whole year!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Ana√Įs Nin)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    agreed on the purg. it works well on the rear but i can't imagine running it as a front tire in loose, rocky conditions. it rolls good, braking is decent and it is large volume to add some cush but the cornering is nothing amazing imo.
    For me I actually like the Purgatory over the Clutch as a front tire. Seems to lean over better. Without the loss of transition/traction from the center to the edge as the Clutch did for me. But that's just my opinion. Clutch works great as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    2.5 Nevegal Folding, Stick-E compound. Crushes everything in it's path and lasts a whole year!
    +2 on the 2.5 Nevegal Stick-E compound tire , ...this is a perfect ft tire for me, thing just works , the bike whips corners and its a large tire and I can run it low and plow through everything.

mtbr member
    take a look at the NEW High Roller 2 from maxxis. the knobs are taller for more grip, but should still be efficient on the roll. The side knobs have always gripped well. Right now I am running a 2.4 Fire FR Pro panaracer on the front. It rolls better than the sticky 2.5 nevy, and has very good traction. I really like it. big casing, strong build, gets the "looks like a motorcycle tire" comment from XC riders. also reasonably priced at pricepoint.com.
    good luck!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Have you tried the Ardent?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    For me I actually like the Purgatory over the Clutch as a front tire. Seems to lean over better. Without the loss of transition/traction from the center to the edge as the Clutch did for me. But that's just my opinion. Clutch works great as a rear tire.
    not everyone likes the transition (similar to the minion), but i doubt you'll lean the purg as far over as the clutch before it breaks loose. i haven't tried the clutch on the rear and it being a softer compound and having bigger wider spaced knobs i doubt i ever will.

i thought you didn't like the 2.4 purg on your ventana?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    take a look at the NEW High Roller 2 from maxxis. the knobs are taller for more grip, but should still be efficient on the roll. The side knobs have always gripped well. Right now I am running a 2.4 Fire FR Pro panaracer on the front. It rolls better than the sticky 2.5 nevy, and has very good traction. I really like it. big casing, strong build, gets the "looks like a motorcycle tire" comment from XC riders. also reasonably priced at pricepoint.com.
    good luck!
    here's a lot of thoughts on the hr II. it's also only available in a ~1200 gram DH casing at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    not everyone likes the transition (similar to the minion), but i doubt you'll lean the purg as far over as the clutch before it breaks loose. i haven't tried the clutch on the rear and it being a softer compound and having bigger wider spaced knobs i doubt i ever will.

i thought you didn't like the 2.4 purg on your ventana?
    Clutch washed out and then grabbed. Worked OK for a while but over time not my choice. Purgatory works well once you nail the PSI. I think I get more bite with the Clutch on the rear than I did with the Purgatory it replaced (worn).

There are a couple new Specialized tires that look interesting.

mtbr member
    Clutch washed out and then grabbed. Worked OK for a while but over time not my choice. Purgatory works well once you nail the PSI. I think I get more bite with the Clutch on the rear than I did with the Purgatory it replaced (worn).

There are a couple new Specialized tires that look interesting.
    the problem is 'looks interesting' often doesn't equal 'works well'. that said, the butcher control will be next on my bike once my clutch dies.

i haven't followed that close, what new models are there besides the ground control? (which isn't new, just brought back from a decade or so ago)

Fragile - must be Italian
    Not sure why you think you need a 2.5 tire. I ride all the gnarly stuff in the PMP with a 2.2-2.35 and it's fine.

Some tires I've liked to far -- Panaracer Rampage 2.35, WTB Prowler MX 2.3, WTB Wolverine 2.2.

The Wolverine is a great tire that fits everything you want except for the size. The Rampage and Prowler's both seem to roll decent and have great traction.

WTB also has a new tire called the Bronson (2.3). It looks promising as well.

Thx...Doug

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Have you tried the Ardent?
    I have not tried an Ardent yet. I am going to try the Ardent, Minion (give it another chance) and maybe one of the new specialized tires over the next three months. I figure if they don't work for me I'll just move to the back and burn them off in three months.

Thanks for all of the great info an large casing tires. My google searches were not returning much when seraching for 'mountain bike tire 2.5'.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm running a Bronson 2.3 and so far I love it. I have yet to ride it in really yet conditions but other than that it's handled everything I can throw at it. Even technical sharp lava field trails with no issues.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi View Post
    Not sure why you think you need a 2.5 tire. I ride all the gnarly stuff in the PMP with a 2.2-2.35 and it's fine.

Some tires I've liked to far -- Panaracer Rampage 2.35, WTB Prowler MX 2.3, WTB Wolverine 2.2.

The Wolverine is a great tire that fits everything you want except for the size. The Rampage and Prowler's both seem to roll decent and have great traction.

WTB also has a new tire called the Bronson (2.3). It looks promising as well.

Thx...Doug
    That's a good question. I've been riding PMP for 20 years and my bikes and tires keep getting bigger. I switched to a FS all mountain bike a couple years ago and my riding style completely change with the bike. I find the bike is sensitive to little things like 2-3 pounds of tire pressure. The old 2.55 WTB Weirwolf is by far my favorite tire. Last month I put the new 2.35 Weirwolf on the bike and it just did not work for me. My front end was all over the place and I could not carry the lines I wanted in the rocky corners. I put my old 2.55 Weirwolf on with basically the same tread pattern and the bike became much more stable. The problem with the 2.55 Weirwolf is that it is too light for big drops and hits (I burped one once landing a jump and crashed hard) and they donít make it any more.

My guess is that I the larger casing tire helps smooth out my erratic and imprecise riding style. All the rocks in PMP only accentuates my bad habits by knocking me all over the place.

Weapon of Choice
    Continental Trail King 2.4, its big, rolls fast with a decent grip.

Super Unknown

That's a good question. I've been riding PMP for 20 years and my bikes and tires keep getting bigger. I switched to a FS all mountain bike a couple years ago and my riding style completely change with the bike. I find the bike is sensitive to little things like 2-3 pounds of tire pressure. The old 2.55 WTB Weirwolf is by far my favorite tire. Last month I put the new 2.35 Weirwolf on the bike and it just did not work for me. My front end was all over the place and I could not carry the lines I wanted in the rocky corners. I put my old 2.55 Weirwolf on with basically the same tread pattern and the bike became much more stable. The problem with the 2.55 Weirwolf is that it is too light for big drops and hits (I burped one once landing a jump and crashed hard) and they donít make it any more.

My guess is that I the larger casing tire helps smooth out my erratic and imprecise riding style. All the rocks in PMP only accentuates my bad habits by knocking me all over the place.
    Huh...sounds as if you might want to re-think your riding style?

I have also been riding the PMP for 20 yrs on everything from old-school rigid steel hardtails to 29'ers to a 160mm all-mountain bike, and I've found the 2.35 to be the "right" size for the gnarly stuff (i.e. Cheesegrater, Hairball, 304) on the AM bike and a 2.2-2.35 to be the "right" size for the 29'ers.

My current stable is a Bianchi Rita (29'er hardtail singlespeed), Kona Hei-Hei 2-9 (4" FS 29'er), and an Iron Horse 6.6 (160mm AM bike). The Rita has a Panaracer 2.35, the Kona has a WTB Wolverine 2.2, and the IH is running a WTB Prowler 2.35. I also have a 2.5 Minion and found that tire to be too much for PMP -- too damn heavy and slow.

Just today I was on a 3hr PMP ride with my Kona Hei Hei w/ the Wolverine 2.2 and it was fantastic. That tire hooks up like mad and seems to love the rocks. It also rolls very fast and likes to be leaned over. I run it at 28psi. I've never had issues with any of my tires burping (I use Stans rims).

Thx...Doug

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi View Post
    Huh...sounds as if you might want to re-think your riding style?

I have also been riding the PMP for 20 yrs on everything from old-school rigid steel hardtails to 29'ers to a 160mm all-mountain bike, and I've found the 2.35 to be the "right" size for the gnarly stuff (i.e. Cheesegrater, Hairball, 304) on the AM bike and a 2.2-2.35 to be the "right" size for the 29'ers.

My current stable is a Bianchi Rita (29'er hardtail singlespeed), Kona Hei-Hei 2-9 (4" FS 29'er), and an Iron Horse 6.6 (160mm AM bike). The Rita has a Panaracer 2.35, the Kona has a WTB Wolverine 2.2, and the IH is running a WTB Prowler 2.35. I also have a 2.5 Minion and found that tire to be too much for PMP -- too damn heavy and slow.

Just today I was on a 3hr PMP ride with my Kona Hei Hei w/ the Wolverine 2.2 and it was fantastic. That tire hooks up like mad and seems to love the rocks. It also rolls very fast and likes to be leaned over. I run it at 28psi. I've never had issues with any of my tires burping (I use Stans rims).

Thx...Doug
    My personal preferences and abilities (or lack of) makes me like larger tires. I'm looking for some more options when it comes to 2.4 or larger tire. I find I have more fun on the bigger tires.

I'm riding tonight from 32nd south of Shea at 5:00. Please join me if you are free

Shred...it's the new drug
    My personal preferences and abilities (or lack of) makes me like larger tires. I'm looking for some more options when it comes to 2.4 or larger tire. I find I have more fun on the bigger tires.

I'm riding tonight from 32nd south of Shea at 5:00. Please join me if you are free
    I've got a couple ardent 2.4's I'd be willing to let go. $40 a piece. For that price you could ride them and then throw them away...3c twin wall casing. PM me...

Thanks for the invite, but after 3+ hours of PMP this morning and 70 miles on the road bike yesterday, I'm pooped out for a few days. Maybe next time. I regularly ride from my house at 24th/Mountain View.

As far as 2.4+ tires go, I think you're SOL in finding what you are looking for. The 2.55 Weirewolf LT was an anomoly -- a big balloon of a tire without the weight and rolling resistance of a DH tire. I know a lot of people who used that tire (myself included) with decent success. I had no idea WTB stop making it...but there isn't another true 2.4+ tire out there (that I know of anyway) that is going to be a fast roller with a round profile. Everything in that size is going to be chunky, heavy, and slow...but stout, grippy, and predictable...perfect for riders of most 6" bikes who aren't concerned with weight or rolling resistance. That's apparently the target market for such a tire, as everybody makes one with similar characteristics.

(BTW - the Continental Mountain King 2.4 is pretty fast and round, but it's more like a 2.1).

Thx...Doug

My other ride is your mom
    Word is that WTB will be making a new 2.55WeirwolfLT and it will come out this fall......you can still find the old 2.55 LT's on the webs....I bought a bunch two months ago to carry me through to the fall. I love having that balloon up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Word is that WTB will be making a new 2.55WeirwolfLT and it will come out this fall......you can still find the old 2.55 LT's on the webs....I bought a bunch two months ago to carry me through to the fall. I love having that balloon up front.
    James is right -- the old WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT's are apparently still out there.

Here's a linky to a site selling them for $35:

WTB WeirWolf LT 26x2.55 58/55 Race Tire

Stock up while you can!

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    Minion

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Minion DHF. just run lower pressure and you will be able to lay it down sideways. I run the 2.35 front on everything at PMP with no issues. I have a 2.5 single ply that I run for chunkier stuff but barely use it since if its that chunky I usually just take my dh bike.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just bought a butcher which is going on the front to replace my purgatory which I plan on moving to the rear wheel which will replace the captain that is currently there. Hoping it works well!

_____
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info on the Weirwolfs. I bought two from icycle last month to hold me over while I find a suitable replacement.

One thing I've learned with over the last couple years is that light weight cross country parts don't belong on a 160mm bike. My current ride is an Ibis HD and my impression of the bike is that it was built for climbing and speed. I raced motocross back in the nineties so I am comfortable at speed and in the air (I sucked at motocross too but it was fun). My HD feels really close to a motocross bike with pedals. That being said I didn't consider the limitations of the weirwolf 2.55 when launching off of the 10' drop on 220 near T100. In June I burped/blew the front tire and broke five ribs. Overall I think the 160mm HD is too much bike for PMP but there are a couple places where I can start to push the bike and I need a tire I can have confidence in. The Wierwolf is a great tire for 95% of PMP but not heavy enought for everything I am doing with my bike. I'm headed to Flag in a couple weeks and I am pretty sure the Weirwolf will be too light.

I ordered a minion this weekend (AZDOG - thanks for the advice on lower air pressure in the minion) and I want to try the Butcher, Ardent and a Purgatory too over the next few months.

MAAD - do you know if the new Weirwolf 2.5 will be available as a UST?

mtbr member
    I'm getting new tires for my Giant Reign, and ride pretty much only at PMP.
    Those of you with the purgatory grid in the rear: what size do you recommend? Is there a big difference between the 2.25 and 2.4 in the rolling resistance? I'm 250 plus gear, and tend to plow through stuff, vs "dance across it". I think the 2.4 may better just due to the extra cush it'll give me. But it seems people like a smaller tire in the back.
    Thanks all....

mtbr member
    Same weight class as you GR1822. I mostly ride PMP also. My setup which I really liking right now. 2.4 Purgatory Grid up front. 2.3 Clutch Control out back. Might try a Butcher out back next time.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Same weight class as you GR1822. I mostly ride PMP also. My setup which I really liking right now. 2.4 Purgatory Grid up front. 2.3 Clutch Control out back. Might try a Butcher out back next time.
    You guys rolling out today?

mtbr member
    I believe the plan is an AW run today.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I believe the plan is an AW run today.
    Yes!

mtbr member
    Lighter AM Tire: Purgatory Control 2.4 ~715g
    Heavier Tire: Nevegal 2.5 StickE - 1300g

The Purgatory 2.4 is a big volume tire, and I run it tubeless at 23-24psi. Other riding buddies have it down to around 20psi, but they're lighter than my 170#. Very good tire with lots of grip and a solid, DH-like feeling without the weight. Not quite a Blue Groove DH tire, but it also doesn't weigh 4 pounds.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't know if it comes in a 2.5 but i'm running a 2.35 Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E up front with a Slant 6 in the rear. Best combination of tires i've run in 25+ years of riding.
    Because, one is never enough.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe View Post
    Don't know if it comes in a 2.5 but i'm running a 2.35 Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E up front with a Slant 6 in the rear. Best combination of tires i've run in 25+ years of riding.
    Dang, you must be old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    and slow.
    Because, one is never enough.