Pemberton Night Ride 8/29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pemberton Night Ride 8/29

Mountain Bike by the Moon Light
    McDowell Mountain Regional Park
    The award winning Mountain Bike by the Moon Light is a night time ride on the Pemberton Trail (15.4 miles). The Pemberton Trail is not very technical; however, night riding will make it more difficult. Helmets and lights will be mandatory on this ride. Only lights designed for use with mountain bikes with at least a 3 hour power source are acceptable. All riders must sign in and out at the trailhead as they start and finish their ride. Everyone needs to be off the trail by 9:30 PM. This is not a guided ride. Volunteers will sweep the course to ensure all riders return safely. For more information call 480-471-0173.
    Date: 8/29/2009
    Time: 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM Duration: 2 hours
    Registration Required: No
    Fee: Included with entry fee to the park
    Address:
    16,300 N. McDowell Park Drive
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ordered my light last week if it comes in on time, count me in.
    “Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Yep yep, will be there. Again.

Happy trails
    i'm in.
    beats ridn' in the heat,although fall is coming quick.
    Aaron

sandbagger
    are you guys riding trail bikes , is there a lot of climbing or what type of riding is this ?
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    I've rode my Stumpjumper FSR. I guess its considered a trail bike. The trail is mostly double track. During the day I found it quite boring. At night it might be kinda fun with all the sand.

Happy trails

i ride my SS..

29er out there.it's a great trail for singlespeeds
    Aaron

mtbr member
    I am not in good shape, in the daylight this trail wears me out! Riding it at night would be fairly challenging (for me), especially up against the mountains where there are some sharper hills/turns. I'm in!

mtbr member
    I have only ridden Pemberton at night, it's pretty fun but I think would be quite boring in the day time. It's a good aerobic workout!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    how strict are they having a bike specific light? i use torch with a p7 led powered by a single 18650 i get over an hour and have several back up batteries. would this be fine?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How strict are they having a bike specific light? i use torch with a p7 led powered by a single 18650 i get over an hour and have several back up batteries. Would this be fine?

mtbr member
    That light will be fine...

I will be there! Should be a good time as always!

How do I do that?
    Kind of a big favor to ask and it's definitely a short notice but does anyone near Tatum and Shea have an extra space for me and me bike? I thought I'd finally get my hitch all installed in time for the PNR but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. UPS can sure mess up ones plans

Thanks guys

Chris

A plethora of pinatas
    I plan on making this one and bringing Ty out there to hang out. It will be good therapy for him to get out of the house and to see some of his cycling friends.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    EEEKKK!! It looks like my light won't be in on time for this night ride. Please don't tell me this is the last one for the year?
    “Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
    EEEKKK!! It looks like my light won't be in on time for this night ride. Please don't tell me this is the last one for the year?
    Nope, there is another on Sept 12.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member

Update for PNR

There have been some issues with riders coming in wwwaaayyy past 9:30 pm when the ride is scheduled to end. The last two rides the park had to send out riders and Kachina rescue to get lagging riders off the trail. In order to keep a few riders from ending the night rides at MMP they will now enforce an 8 pm cut-off time. Please show up in time to be out on the trail no later than 8 pm.

I have volunteered to sweep the ride for the park and will be heading out behind the last riders at 8 pm if anyone wants to join me. We will be diverting riders down either Tonto Tank or Bluff if it does not appear that they will make it back to the TH by 9:30.

I will also be heading out for an afternoon pre-ride heading clockwise on Pemberton, up Tonto, south to Coahwhip, up to Dixie Mine and back. I will be heading out around 5 pm, send me a PM if interested. This is a mild climb with two fast and fun downhill sections on the way back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    I plan on making this one and bringing Ty out there to hang out. It will be good therapy for him to get out of the house and to see some of his cycling friends.
    Glad your son is ok Marty. He will be back up and riding in no time.

mtbr member
    Two questions:

1) Haven't ridden Pemberton yet...is the "start" at the same parking lot as the loops? I've ridden the loops a few times, but no Pemberton yet.

2) Coming by myself, any groups I can tag along with? Or will it be obvious which group is there for this night ride?

Thanks!

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Two questions:

1) Haven't ridden Pemberton yet...is the "start" at the same parking lot as the loops? I've ridden the loops a few times, but no Pemberton yet.

2) Coming by myself, any groups I can tag along with? Or will it be obvious which group is there for this night ride?

Thanks!
    The trail head parking lot is about 4 miles further in past the Competitive Loop parking lot. Just ask the attendant at the gate for directions.

All the people in the parking lot will be there for the night ride. You should have 75-125 riders to tag along with.

Look forward to seeing you out there. It is always a good time!
    Marty

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    Glad your son is ok Marty. He will be back up and riding in no time.

Thanks! He getting better every day and is itching to get back on the bike.
    Marty

sandbagger
    can you ride a bike on Thompson Peak trailhead ? doesnt that link up to pemberton ?
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Anybody find a crappy little white LED headlight that looks like a flashlight? It must have bounced off my handlebar clip and was my backup... I miss it already

A plethora of pinatas
    Bummer that you lost your crappy little light. You might want to contact the Park and see if anyone turned it in.

Great turnout, I heard there was around 106 that signed in. Looking forward to the Sept 12th event!
    Marty

Chunky Monkey

Full Moon

Yo!

Is Sept 12th the last ride? What to having the full moon ride on the full moon?

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

A plethora of pinatas
    It does look like the Sept. 12th event is the last one. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...9&EventID=8677

Mark your calendar!
    Marty

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Had an awesome time!

Was a little late showing up, left around 7:40 with one friend, got to the first road crossing then saw our third driving up the road... Turned around to meet up back at the parking lot (sorry for any of those who we inconvenienced!). Ended up leaving just under the wire at 8pm. Was happy to not get "sweeped" off the course since I'm usually the slow guy up the hill. Ended up running a 1:32 and getting back with time to spare, not a bad time for me! We had a blast. Can't wait until next time...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Pemberton night ride 9-12-09???

Just wondering if the night ride is on this week.....
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0