Thread: PBR SS details

mtbr member
    May 2007

PBR SS details

Beta on the PBR SS event south of Flagstaff please........I'm sure details are in here somewhere, no time to search at the moment. Thanks

mtbr member
    show up, ride SS, drink beer. What else do you need to know???
    b

mtbr member
    Same weekend as tour of the white mountains... What else do you need to know???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Beta on the PBR SS event south of Flagstaff please........I'm sure details are in here somewhere, no time to search at the moment. Thanks
    Want us to do your homework for you too?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rode it last evening. The one steep climb is not SS friendly, so you get to deal with that (racin ain't easy). It also looks like there's one steep section and that it then levels out, but it doesn't really do this as it curves around and keeps going. Cleaned it last night, but what it doesn't have in length it makes up for in vertical gain. It also starts off pretty mellow (before that climb) but otherwise it's good SS territory. The weather was perfect when we rode it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Rode it last evening. The one steep climb is not SS friendly, so you get to deal with that (racin ain't easy). It also looks like there's one steep section and that it then levels out, but it doesn't really do this as it curves around and keeps going. Cleaned it last night, but what it doesn't have in length it makes up for in vertical gain. It also starts off pretty mellow (before that climb) but otherwise it's good SS territory. The weather was perfect when we rode it.

thanks for the report. How did you determine that the one steep climb is not SS friendly?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    thanks for the report. How did you determine that the one steep climb is not SS friendly?
    The guy riding the SS with us didn't make it up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

sprocket
    Does he set the bar?

mtbr member
    His comment reminded me of a recent article in Outside about the SSWC. The author, who did not SS before, did the race, and said something to the effect of "climbing on a SS requires you to gain momentum, so you have enough speed to make it over the hill." Huh?

mtbr member
    And those with gears did? Then the guy on the SS needs to ride more.

Elitest thrill junkie
    But, if you want more info, it's exceptionally loose and steep at first, then just steep later on. Problem is, you can't really stand and grind, too steep. If you sit and pedal it takes an amazing amont of strength to keep going in SS gears, and then at the top of the loose section where you *thought* it was going to end, it keeps going. That's where you drop to granny if you have gears.

Yes, some of the strong SSers around here make it, but they strugle with that one climb a lot more than anything else frequently ridden.

It's not as loose as 62, but just as steep at first, and it's just one of those ones where it's easy to get on a bad line or make a mistake (if other riders are around you). Then there'll be a domino-effect.

I'd like to help out with this race...maybe some of it can involve watching this climb

If you think you're SS-superman, then I can't wait to watch.

Tucson, AZ
    Raven Singletrack website. All monies go to help Prescott trails.

Mountain bike racing - grass roots style! Read the poster - four categories. That's right, just four categories. No categories for Sport class men, under 180 pounds, over the age of 30, with blue eyes, one gear, three inches of travel, born under the sign of the Zodiac. Boys and girls each as geared and single-speeders. That's it.

This race will take place in the cool pines of Prescott during early October, likely the best mountain bike month in town.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    His comment reminded me of a recent article in Outside about the SSWC. The author, who did not SS before, did the race, and said something to the effect of "climbing on a SS requires you to gain momentum, so you have enough speed to make it over the hill." Huh?

Jayem knows everything.

mtbr member
    Jayem knows everything.
    except where to find cheap tubes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Jayem knows everything.
    Come up here this weekend, I'd love to show you this climb.

It's obvious from this thread that SSer egos are never to be taken lightly!

Anyhow, as I said, this has a lot of SS-friendly terrain and it's a very nice setting (much better than the one at Pioneer Park). Ed from Southwest Sounds and Cycles is supposed to have some SS setups available for rent if you don't currently have one.

sprocket
    Come up here this weekend, I'd love to show you this climb.

It's obvious from this thread that SSer egos are never to be taken lightly!

I would feel judged then.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Raven Singletrack website. All monies go to help Prescott trails.

Mountain bike racing - grass roots style! Read the poster - four categories. That's right, just four categories. No categories for Sport class men, under 180 pounds, over the age of 30, with blue eyes, one gear, three inches of travel, born under the sign of the Zodiac. Boys and girls each as geared and single-speeders. That's it.

This race will take place in the cool pines of Prescott during early October, likely the best mountain bike month in town.
    thanks to azepicrandr and the others who "helped"........all I really wanted to know was the date and location,,,,,,,,,,,my homeworks done expect some flagstaff infiltration for the PBR

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008

Haha!

Does he set the bar?
    Yes, I did set the bar... incredibly low. I was the SSer that didn't make it up "The Wall" as it is referred to. That is not saying much as I generally suck at anything that involves ascending. I am one of the weakest SSers in the area, so don't use my results as a gauge of how you'll do. I know that there are a lot of guys that will have no problem with this climb. It is loose and steep and will present a challenge for everyone, but it is definitely doable for those with the fitness and skills to keep the rear tire hooked up.

Aside from that one climb, this is going to be a great course, easily the best I've ever raced on. The rest of the course it fast & flowy and your biggest challenge will be trying to wipe that sh!t eating grin off yer mug. It is going to be boatloads of fun!

Notch

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Notch Johnson
    I know that there are a lot of guys that will have no problem with this climb. It is loose and steep and will present a challenge for everyone, but it is definitely doable for those with the fitness and skills to keep the rear tire hooked up. ds of fun!
    Well, even the strong SSers have told me it's challenging. Christophe remarked that it was no joke on a SS.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    On lap two "The Wall" WILL hurt you...and if you gear for it you'll be spun out on the rest of the course...so suffer you stinking SS'ers

if I had a good mind I would take the shift cables off the tandem and run some of you over...
    but I don't (have a mind) so I won't (SmackTalk!...and all talk)
    Last edited by befoot; 08-22-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Where are the course maps at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    But, if you want more info, it's exceptionally loose and steep at first, then just steep later on. Problem is, you can't really stand and grind, too steep. If you sit and pedal it takes an amazing amont of strength to keep going in SS gears, and then at the top of the loose section where you *thought* it was going to end, it keeps going.
    Jayem, from the start of the '...exceptionally loose and steep...' to the end of the '...keeps on going...' how long (distance) are we talking?

Is the '...exceptionally loose and steep...' bit also a difficult hike-a-bike? [I'm thinking poor footing on the loose stuff?]

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenorm
    Jayem, from the start of the '...exceptionally loose and steep...' to the end of the '...keeps on going...' how long (distance) are we talking?

Is the '...exceptionally loose and steep...' bit also a difficult hike-a-bike? [I'm thinking poor footing on the loose stuff?]
    No, easy hike-a-bike, wide, and it's not that long. Total length can't be more than an eigth to a quarter mile. It's real short, it just makes up for it by being real loose at the bottom and it's steep. It's not even very rough, pretty smooth. If there are other people on the climb it could also turn into stall-city. Even though it's wide not all the lines are always workable. It does leave you pretty dusted though, very anerobic effort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No, easy hike-a-bike, wide, and it's not that long. Total length can't be more than an eigth to a quarter mile. It's real short, it just makes up for it by being real loose at the bottom and it's steep. It's not even very rough, pretty smooth. If there are other people on the climb it could also turn into stall-city. Even though it's wide not all the lines are always workable. It does leave you pretty dusted though, very anerobic effort.
    Thanks for that, Jayem. I'm signed up for this ride and looking forward to it.

I'll prepare myself for being in the thick of stall-city and bear in the mind that the rest of the loop will be good fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Notch Johnson
    Yes, I did set the bar... incredibly low. I was the SSer that didn't make it up "The Wall" as it is referred to. That is not saying much as I generally suck at anything that involves ascending. I am one of the weakest SSers in the area, so don't use my results as a gauge of how you'll do. I know that there are a lot of guys that will have no problem with this climb. It is loose and steep and will present a challenge for everyone, but it is definitely doable for those with the fitness and skills to keep the rear tire hooked up.

Aside from that one climb, this is going to be a great course, easily the best I've ever raced on. The rest of the course it fast & flowy and your biggest challenge will be trying to wipe that sh!t eating grin off yer mug. It is going to be boatloads of fun!

Notch

Dude- your not fooling anyone! Especially those of us that ride with you! If you are, and I quote,"one of the weakest SSer's in the area", then we are all in a lot of trouble!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    big question. Since I don't think I'll have a chance to pre-ride,(and I dont see any maps) what gears are good for a 29er? 32x18t,19t,? for the over all mens A? I have done white spar and it's very good on a 32x18t but I don't know about the rest of the trail. and tell me it didn't fill up yet.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    big question. Since I don't think I'll have a chance to pre-ride,(and I dont see any maps) what gears are good for a 29er? 32x18t,19t,? for the over all mens A? I have done white spar and it's very good on a 32x18t but I don't know about the rest of the trail. and tell me it didn't fill up yet.

Taco - if your riding 396 w/ 32x18, you should be fine. I ride 34x22 pretty much anywhere in Prescott and it works for me. I think most of the fast dudes around here ride 32x20 or 32x19...others will chime in tho.

Good luck

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Taco - if your riding 396 w/ 32x18, you should be fine. I ride 34x22 pretty much anywhere in Prescott and it works for me. I think most of the fast dudes around here ride 32x20 or 32x19...others will chime in tho.

Good luck
    Thanks, I was thinking it would be better to go up one tooth for a race. Bad news, I just realized this race is set up the same day as the Tour of the White Mountains. I guess they don't want too many people to sign up otherwise it's bad timing. now I need to choose which one to go to.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008

The Wall ownes me

Dude- your not fooling anyone! Especially those of us that ride with you! If you are, and I quote,"one of the weakest SSer's in the area", then we are all in a lot of trouble!
    You're way too kind...

I just rode two laps of the course this morning and "The Wall" owned me yet again, on both laps. I have a premonition that it's going to look like Jonestown about 2/3's the way up. I definitely won't be in contention for any of the cash "primes" they are offering for the first guys up those hills.

I was also a bit sluggish up "The Jr. Wall", but made it no problems. Lap times were good overall (48min/49min running about 85-90% of race pace), even with the struggles going up, so I must have been making pretty good time coming down 396.

FWIW, I'm running 32x20 right now, but I'm seriously considering gearing down if my steroids don't kick in by the end of Sept.

Notch
    Last edited by Notch Johnson; 08-25-2009 at 06:43 PM.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are we supposed to go all the way up Schoolhouse to Senator and then down 396? There is a left turn at 61 that will take you to 396 also. I would like directions for those of us with major head injuries in our past. Thanks,
    Shu

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SHU
    Are we supposed to go all the way up Schoolhouse to Senator and then down 396? There is a left turn at 61 that will take you to 396 also. I would like directions for those of us with major head injuries in our past. Thanks,
    Shu
    I thought there was a map or something on Raven singletrack, but you don't go up all the way, it's one of those green branch-trails that's right next to the "22" on the map (off of 67), in the upper left hand corner you can see the contour-lines where the "wall" is on Schoolhouse Gulch (trail 67):

http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps...ott/ts2e1.html

http://www.ravensingletrack.com/Events.html

If Gregg reads this, how can I help with this race?

Master Gardener
    Hey folks- The Prescott Blue Ribbon isn't permitted through the USFS, so we're limited to 74 participants.

Next year, it will be permitted and larger... at that point we might start giving some thought to whole ToWM thing. For this year, we chose a date that works for us.

elrancho- details and updates have been posted here: http://ravensingletrack.wordpress.com/

A course map will be posted there ^^ shortly. Today, if I have the time. The map I have right now is pretty bunk- the pro course map is in the works and will be done by Scott at TopoFusion, one of the events generous sponsors.

The climb everyone's talking about is in really bad shape at the moment, but I plan to head out there and rake the 2 lines back into it sometime this week/weekend. It's a ***** even when traction isn't an issue and isn't something locals regularly ride, but it's prime fodder for a singlespeed race. You'll cry, then laugh. If you're going for the cash primes, you may vomit.

There's about 1/2 mile lead-up from the Start/Finish, then a steeper approach to the base, then it gets really steep and very loose for about 300 yards. Then a false flat for another 300 yards probably. The cash primes will be given out at the top of the false flat. Cash-in-hand, so be sure you have a free hand.

Right now we have about 20 people registered. Only one Mens B registrant, all the rest are doing the 22 miler. We've got a few women, including Sarah "Vassago Badass" Stanford, who will be going sans-derailleurs for this one so she can bring home the trophy for the local Preskit contingent. Zach will be here, too. He's a good bet for the Mens A victory. Toby Corwin may be there.

Gearing: varies by rider and preference, but I think anything 32x19 to 32x22 could get someone to the finish in 1st. We'll see.

And Jayem- We need 10-12 volunteers and I'll put you down for a course marshall position since you know the trails here like the back of your hand. We also need someone with carpentry skills to build a couple temporary 15' catwalks out of pallet wood.

Master Gardener

SHU- The Start/Finish is at the gate at the Schoolhouse Gulch trailhead. You go about 1mile, then climb The Wall for another Ľ mile or so, then it flattens out up top and you?ll take a LEFT turn at the Groom Creek water monument, which is a 3x3? concrete box with a plaque on it engraved with over-rated Prescott politicians? names. That left turn takes you onto the ?4WD? trail that delivers you from Schoolhouse to 396.

On that 4WD trail, you?ll come across a blockade (downed trees and a wall of boulders) at the PNF/Goldwater boundary. You can hike-a-bike over it but on race day there should be a catwalk up and over it.

The rest of the course is well-marked with Trail #s and all that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Velokid1; 08-30-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: updated map

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Hey folks- The Prescott Blue Ribbon isn't permitted through the USFS, so we're limited to 74 participants.

Next year, it will be permitted and larger... at that point we might start giving some thought to whole ToWM thing. For this year, we chose a date that works for us.
    Is not being permitted going to cause any grief with the forest service in Prescott or surrounding area? In other states, there have been events held like this without permits... and these events really caused a lot of issues with future access and kind of tarnished the relationship between the mtb community and the forest service. The 74 people limit on the event is a way to get around the permits, but is that the right way to go about an event... that is being advertised?

There is probably a lot more too it than that... just a thought about keeping a good relationship with the forest service...

Master Gardener
    That's a very serious concern. Raven Singletrack works closely with the PNF organizing our trail work days with Rob Hehlen, adopting trails, etc. I also work in the permitting office for Prescott College and am aware of public land use issues.

We have worked on this event with the help of the PNF, so they are aware of what we are doing. And we plan to remain well within the bounds of what is allowable without a Special Use Permit because we hope to secure a permit for 2010 and because Raven Singletrack gives a **** about the forest, the trails and mtb access locally.

The M.O. of our collective here is trail and forest stewardship year-round, responsible events (we've had a few already), and intensive post-event damage mitigation (i.e. we drag everyone back out on the trails afterward to fix the damage caused by our out-of-town friends that we hosted on our choice singletrack).

So far, mtn bikers are in very good standing with the Prescott National Forest, having played a big role in the recently-expanded system of trails and in their maintenance.

mtbr member
    Very cool!!! Good to know the forest service is behind the race... thanks a lot for the detailed response. Why not get a permit for this year for the event?

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Why not get a permit for this year for the event?
    They've been without a Permit Administrator for almost a year now and aren't hiring one until October 1, so we didn't have time for the review process that a first-time event is subject to.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Greg and JM,
    Thanks for the info. I rode it the other day and that wall is a leg burner. Should be fun come race day. I rode it on a 29er 32x19 and was wishing I had a 20. It is rideable, but challenging. Thanks for doing the work and bringing another fun event to Prescott.
    Shu

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Shu - when did you go to the dark (SS) side???

Hey Greg, I thought this was going to be a race for old slow guy's like me??

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I built the old Kona into a SS when I bought the Fisher. I use it for my mountain preserve bike in Phoenix. Fun bike, but a little hard on the old guy knees, especially in this area.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet Hope to see you out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Is not being permitted going to cause any grief with the forest service in Prescott or surrounding area? There is probably a lot more too it than that... just a thought about keeping a good relationship with the forest service...
    Thanks for asking that. We needed to get this info out there. We have "permission" but we don't have a "permit." We've worked closely with the city and the forest service since our course traverses those properties. There are some great people in both offices helping us with this, even going so far as to marshal cornes for us on race day. The permit thing is just a no-go. Our local forest service office currently lacks an official person to administer the permit process, so no permits are being issued...this year. So, we have to slip through a few hoops (such as the limited number of riders) and we're all good. It's very important to us that this event is not only a hoot for the riders, but very low impact for the forest service. Thanks again for asking that question.

Regarding "The Wall," I have seen as many SS riders clear that climb as I have walk it. The key is the approach and the actual condition of the climb. As Velokid said, we'll have it raked and cleared before the race. That said, go into it too hot....ker-blewy.

More info is now up on the Raven Singletrack site including the rough draft of the map.

www.ravensingletrack.com Just click on the poster for info

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We just updated the site a bit to include a little more information:

www.ravensingletrack.com Click on the poster for more information.

This is shaping up to be a really great event! Best of all, it's remaining super chill. Grass roots style. Jayem, we do need one important volunteer. We need someone to stand in the woods to make sure Billy behaves and doesn't cause too much trouble.

And one more bit on The Wall. Even if you completely implode on that climb, it actually isn't much slower to just dismount and hoof it. In fact, I'm sure many egos will refuse to dismount and their remains will be found at the top in a wheezing, heaping mess of slobber and tears. WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    We just updated the site a bit to include a little more information:

www.ravensingletrack.com Click on the poster for more information.

This is shaping up to be a really great event! Best of all, it's remaining super chill. Grass roots style. Jayem, we do need one important volunteer. We need someone to stand in the woods to make sure Billy behaves and doesn't cause too much trouble.

And one more bit on The Wall. Even if you completely implode on that climb, it actually isn't much slower to just dismount and hoof it. In fact, I'm sure many egos will refuse to dismount and their remains will be found at the top in a wheezing, heaping mess of slobber and tears. WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Im so bummed I am out of town for this one. My favorite trail in AZ!! Hey rover in your written description of the course you state a left turn off of 396 onto 374. Map shows right which is the only way you can go n'est-ce pas? Not a biggee, but someone might get confused.

Master Gardener
    It's a right turn from 396 onto 374.

Greg and JM,
    Thanks for the info. I rode it the other day and that wall is a leg burner. Should be fun come race day. I rode it on a 29er 32x19 and was wishing I had a 20. It is rideable, but challenging. Thanks for doing the work and bringing another fun event to Prescott.
    Shu
    Probably doesn't seem like much to you after doing the LT100! I rode the course with Tobias a couple weeks ago and he made that climb look like someone's driveway. .

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went out and rode the course a couple of times today. That "wall" climb will hurt all riders. Some will go faster than others, but all will suffer on that section. The course is a good mix of single and double track. I will try to post the GPS info on Garminconnect today.
    Shu

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I went out and rode the course a couple of times today. That "wall" climb will hurt all riders. Some will go faster than others, but all will suffer on that section. The course is a good mix of single and double track. I will try to post the GPS info on Garminconnect today.
    Shu
    It's a great course, isn't it? It really requires constant attention, even if just to maintain an appropriate tempo without exploding. Huge thanks to Roh Hehlen and the Over The Hill Gang for laying down such beautiful trail for us to enjoy. Rob had hoped to get a race on 396. Well here it comes!

Good job at Leadville, Shu.

Christophe

Master Gardener
    Shu
    Looks like uploads are temporarily down today on Garminconnect. I do have this mucky little screenshot from the ride a couple weeks ago.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's a great course, isn't it? It really requires constant attention, even if just to maintain an appropriate tempo without exploding. Huge thanks to Roh Hehlen and the Over The Hill Gang for laying down such beautiful trail for us to enjoy. Rob had hoped to get a race on 396. Well here it comes!

Good job at Leadville, Shu.

Christophe

Man - I'm gettin wOOd just thinking about this ride! You and Greg always do great things for the community in P-Town. Big "golf claps" for you guy's putting together another grassroots cycling event that only exists in places like Durango, Leadville, NoCal and maybe a few places back east, that brings together the cycling community without profit being a main motivator. Awesome job fellows.

BTW- I'm doing a pre-ride this Friday around 9:30am if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    What do you need built Greg? I'm no SS'r so I could volunteer some of my handy work like this? or do you need something different .
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    What do you need built Greg? I'm no SS so I could volunteer some of my handy work like this? or do you need something different .
    We were hoping for something a little more exciting. Maybe a flaming hoop to ride through. Perhaps a big wind mill you have to ride through like those at a put-put course.

Seriously...that's nice work, Mike.

mtbr member
    We were hoping for something a little more exciting. Maybe a flaming hoop to ride through. Perhaps a big wind mill you have to ride through like those at a put-put course.

Seriously...that's nice work, Mike.
    Thanks,
    Hmmm maybe I should get a rental from Ed and try some SSing myself?
    SHITBIRD

Elitest thrill junkie
    I rode that route today, there was a path that you can ride through about halfway up the "rocks". It's kind of in the opposite direction though (if you're comming the other way). With a little brush-clearing it would easily allow riders to ride on through if they were comming from the direction that the race goes. There is that bigger tree a little further that you kind of ride up and to the right. That also wouldn't take much to make a bit safer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks,
    Hmmm maybe I should get a rental from Ed and try some SSing myself?
    Heli, I'm not going to be racing since I'll be busy with the event itself. You're very welcome to ride my Spot if you'd like.

Two conditions: No crashing. You have to win.

It might be the only chance my bike gets to win a race.

Think about it.

Christophe

mtbr member
    Heli, I'm not going to be racing since I'll be busy with the event itself. You're very welcome to ride my Spot if you'd like.

Two conditions: No crashing. You have to win.

It might be the only chance my bike gets to win a race.

Think about it.

Christophe
    Thanks for the offer.
    Win a race, thats a tall order order for a Dhiller up against guys like Zach. By the sounds of "the wall", I would get killed. I have a month to check out the course, we'll see. Will think about it . I could still build that catwalk over the trees or a jump!
    SHITBIRD

Master Gardener
    What do you need built Greg? I'm no SS'r so I could volunteer some of my handy work like this? or do you need something different .

That's seriously badass. Hell yea. The little catwalk we need is far tamer, but if you're into helping with it, your skills could be put to use. I think Befoot is going to head up that project... you two know each other, right? Maybe try to hook up with him to go have a look at the spot. I'd like to come along because I've been working with the supervisor at Goldwater and he has some specific ideas about what he is comfortable with.

In related news, we're putting together a small crew to take rakes out to the climb on Schoolhouse this Saturday to clean that thing up a bit. If anyone wants to spend 2 hours (max) helping us, we're meeting at White Spar CG/Schoolhouse Gulch trailhead at 11 AM Saturday morning. Let me know ahead of time if you're coming. If you have a rake (soil, not leaf) bring it.

And there's a new entry on the blog today that gets me kinda excited: http://wp.me/pqGob-2e

mtbr member
    I rode the wall this morning on SS 32x19 and Jayem's descriptions are pretty accurate. Out of mouth came "oh sh*t" followed by "oh my god". Not good speaking out loud when your on your own!! But then again I sing out loud when I bike so must be me!!

Climb was tough. There is a little climb at the base that gets you thinking this is no bad, then you look up this nasty steep section with all the loose rocks at the bottom. I tired three times to get through it and each time got of the kinda line and dabbed. I walked up a little and found a hard pack line that started on the left and was able to get going and was able to clean to the top from there. Not techy at all but I was bustin a lung by the time I got to the top. Definitely humbling. Especially when you think its all over and then the next turn reveals more out of the saddle climbing thats where the "oh my god' came in! My tires are toast so with new tires I might have made it through the rough section - next time!

But the ride down 396 makes it worth it. I took some pics and will post up later.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    I rode the wall this morning on SS 32x19 and Jayem's descriptions are pretty accurate. Out of mouth came "oh sh*t" followed by "oh my god". Not good speaking out loud when your on your own!! But then again I sing out loud when I bike so must be me!!

Climb was tough. There is a little climb at the base that gets you thinking this is no bad, then you look up this nasty steep section with all the loose rocks at the bottom. I tired three times to get through it and each time got of the kinda line and dabbed. I walked up a little and found a hard pack line that started on the left and was able to get going and was able to clean to the top from there. Not techy at all but I was bustin a lung by the time I got to the top. Definitely humbling. Especially when you think its all over and then the next turn reveals more out of the saddle climbing thats where the "oh my god' came in! My tires are toast so with new tires I might have made it through the rough section - next time!

But the ride down 396 makes it worth it. I took some pics and will post up later.

Jonathon - you should have told us you were in town...we did a epic ride through Emmanuel Pines then up 37, down 40 and through Granite. Glad you you got to ride 396 tho I rode it yesterday and had issues!

mtbr member
    Jonathon - you should have told us you were in town...we did a epic ride through Emmanuel Pines then up 37, down 40 and through Granite. Glad you you got to ride 396 tho I rode it yesterday and had issues!
    Wow, that sounds like a cool ride. Just remember there has to be a major mechanical and blood to denote an epic ride!! Hope you had neither though!

Yeah, it was a last minute decision, the Motor Lodge had some openings and we came up at the last minute. Just chillin with the fam for the most part.

I'll post up next time.

Master Gardener
    Thanks for riding our butter-smooth, bmx trackesque trails with us today, Brit. Had a blast.

Christi and I took the tandem out to do a lap.
    we cleaned the dreaded "WALL" just fine only to have
    the free hub grenade (snapped the chain as well) after the climb,
    up by the water monument...to bad we rode from home,
    made for a long walk/coast back

Cheers, Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sorry about that. Cumulative fatigue eventually kills all components...the "wall" just helped to kill it faster.

Sorry about that. Cumulative fatigue eventually kills all components...the "wall" just helped to kill it faster.
    Hell Yeah...that and it wasn't working so good at pre-flight ...kablam-O death to yet another free hub.... RIP

We need someone to stand in the woods to make sure Billy behaves and doesn't cause too much trouble.
    James, you up for the job...or do you want to help?

Peace on Dirt
    Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot

James, you up for the job...or do you want to help?

Peace on Dirt
    Billy
    That depends on how many gears you have.

Master Gardener

The Wall will still be there.

Well, we have some bad news, some good news and some ugly news.

The Bad: We are cancelling the Prescott Blue Ribbon for this year.

Our green light from the Prescott National Forest turned into a yellow light and then culminated in a meeting yesterday. The short of it is that the PNF has been dealing with very limited resources for several months now and the PBR was going to put undue stress on those resources. We really value the relationship we’ve developed with our friends at the PNF over the past couple years and so we chose to scrap the event for 2009.

The Good: The PNF expressed that they were impressed with the amount of service our collective of mountain bikers has invested in the local trails over the past couple of years (that is the primary reason for Raven Singletrack's existence) and they appreciated that we had done our homework for the PBR this year, went through the appropriate channels, etc.

So, the collective’s hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed and that goes a long way toward us being able to secure a permit for running the PBR in 2010.

The Gooder: We were scrambling to get the PBR together for this year… now that we have a year to plot and scheme, the first 2010 PBR should be super duper rad.

The Goodest:

- The names of everyone who registered this year will go into a little black book and all of you will get to race in the 2010 PBR for FREE.
    - Everyone who RSVP’d (but sent no coin) will get $10 off their entry fee.

If you sent some money already, it will be refunded immediately.

The Ugly: Uh… Christophe and I are both ugly?

We apologize for any inconvenience. Sometimes you’re the knobby; sometimes you’re the trail.

Any questions, just ask.

Greg and Christophe

mtbr member
    Bad: sorry that you have to put it off for a year.

Good: Major props for making a tough descision and stand up job of being up front about the reasons for it.

Best: I can actually plan for next years ride/beer drinking. =)
    b

mtbr member

ready for PBR2010

Sorry to hear this year couldn't happen. I was looking forward to it as was my family.
    At least this'll give you a chance to recruit (more) participants from SSWC09 and SSAZ/SSUSA2010.
    See you at PBR2010...Cheers,
    Matt

mtbr member
    May 2007

sorry to hear..................

Well, we have some bad news, some good news and some ugly news.

The Bad: We are cancelling the Prescott Blue Ribbon for this year.

Our green light from the Prescott National Forest turned into a yellow light and then culminated in a meeting yesterday. The short of it is that the PNF has been dealing with very limited resources for several months now and the PBR was going to put undue stress on those resources. We really value the relationship we’ve developed with our friends at the PNF over the past couple years and so we chose to scrap the event for 2009.

The Good: The PNF expressed that they were impressed with the amount of service our collective of mountain bikers has invested in the local trails over the past couple of years (that is the primary reason for Raven Singletrack's existence) and they appreciated that we had done our homework for the PBR this year, went through the appropriate channels, etc.

So, the collective’s hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed and that goes a long way toward us being able to secure a permit for running the PBR in 2010.

The Gooder: We were scrambling to get the PBR together for this year… now that we have a year to plot and scheme, the first 2010 PBR should be super duper rad.

The Goodest:

- The names of everyone who registered this year will go into a little black book and all of you will get to race in the 2010 PBR for FREE.
    - Everyone who RSVP’d (but sent no coin) will get $10 off their entry fee.

If you sent some money already, it will be refunded immediately.

The Ugly: Uh… Christophe and I are both ugly?

We apologize for any inconvenience. Sometimes you’re the knobby; sometimes you’re the trail.

Any questions, just ask.

Greg and Christophe
    Bummer to hear the PBR was postponed until 2010, I was looking forward to coming down to ride in Prescott.................I mailed off my $, will the check be returned to my address?
    thanks

Master Gardener
    We were looking forward to hosting all of you, too. If you can ever make it up (or down) for the weekend, give us a shout and we'll show you around.

Personally, I'm going to head up to the Road Apple Rally in NM now that that weekend is free.

elrancho and anyone else who has a refund coming:

We will send checks back to any address you like. Please email us at ravensingletrack@gmail.com with a valid mailing address and we'll get checks out right away.

If you sent the funds via PayPal and prefer the funds be returned by check rather than via PayPal, let us know. Again, email us.

Tucson, AZ
    I am a guaranteed attendee in 2010!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc

Good: Major props for making a tough descision and stand up job of being up front about the reasons for it.
    It truly was a very tough decision. We felt we had to appeal equally to the interests of the riders, our friends at the Prescott National Forest, and lastly to the mountain bike community at large. We didn't want to put on a second rate event. We didn't want to place an unfair burden on the forest service, and we certainly didn't want to jeopardize future events.

It's a temporary sting. We're already moving forward with planning the 2010 race.

I am Walt
    I would LOVE to do this in 2010...can you move it away from Epic's TOWM event?
    Ride more; post less...

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I would LOVE to do this in 2010...can you move it away from Epic's TOWM event?
    Definitely.

In fact, since this is truly meant to be a collective that we're building, we will probably put together polls and otherwise solicit input from all AZ mountain bikers about shaping this event. Size, cost, course ideas, format, event date, etc. We'll think that part over in the next couple months and see what we can make happen.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in for 2010. Unless I take up bowling or dart throwing in the meantime. There is some serious draw to a "sport" that allows you to drink beer WHILE participating. Thanks for doing the homework on this event. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you for next year. Shu

Definitely.

In fact, since this is truly meant to be a collective that we're building, we will probably put together polls and otherwise solicit input from all AZ mountain bikers about shaping this event. Size, cost, course ideas, format, event date, etc. We'll think that part over in the next couple months and see what we can make happen.
    You guys may or may not want to consider the heinousness that was the One Gear and Good Beer rally in Philly (http://www.onespeed.org/). It was a damned good time, but perhaps involved a bit more intoxication than you are looking for. However, the format involved a trials section and an extra event that rotated each year. Some of the really fun events (the fun being enhanced by copious amounts of quality beer) were Derby and dual slalom. The log pull was not nearly as much fun. Not sure if you could include something like that in the whole race thing, but it is something to consider.

Looking forward to PBR 2010.

--Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm in for 2010. Unless I take up bowling or dart throwing in the meantime. There is some serious draw to a "sport" that allows you to drink beer WHILE participating. Thanks for doing the homework on this event. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you for next year. Shu
    The door is definately open for anyone who wants to assist with this event in 2010. We were very pleased to see so many people jump into the mix to help with this year's ill-fated event. I'm sure with a 13 month lead into the 2010 event we'll have even more support - and that is what will make this baby really awesome.

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Bad: sorry that you have to put it off for a year.

Best: I can actually plan for next years ride/beer drinking. =)
    Well said, but I'd like to add a couple of things...

UGLY: I climbed (or attempted to climb) that farging wall a dozen times in preparation for this event

BESTEST: I won't have to climb it again for a whole entire year.

Seriously though, while I'm heartbroken that this event won't take place this year, I'd like to give big ups to the Raven boys and everyone else involved for all their hard efforts and I look forward to a killer event next fall.

Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    May 2007

PM sent

We were looking forward to hosting all of you, too. If you can ever make it up (or down) for the weekend, give us a shout and we'll show you around.

Personally, I'm going to head up to the Road Apple Rally in NM now that that weekend is free.

elrancho and anyone else who has a refund coming:

We will send checks back to any address you like. Please email us at ravensingletrack@gmail.com with a valid mailing address and we'll get checks out right away.

If you sent the funds via PayPal and prefer the funds be returned by check rather than via PayPal, let us know. Again, email us.
    VeloKid 1, I sent you a PM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks

Master Gardener
    elrancho... can you send again? It's weird, I got the email notification that your PM was in my inbox, and I could read it... but then there was no PM in my inbox. Curious, George.

Master Gardener

Hope

I hear that a group of folks were up from Tucson today pre-riding the PBR course... I sure hope the news of the cancellation is reaching everybody.

Members who have read this thread: 0