payson trains- Mtbr.com

Thread: payson trains

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. payson trains

Any Payson area riders out there? There's a race up there in a few weeks, and I probably wont be able to pre-ride, as I live way down here in Bisbee. The course is supposed to be on FS roads 209 to 209a to 406. About a 28 mile loop I think. Is anyone familliar with this route? How bad is the climb back up to town from Doll Baby Ranch? Long and gradual or steep? Any gearing suggestions for singlespeeders? The last time I was up that way I rode out east on the Mogollon Rim, sweet singletrack!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hope Ooops!

Sorry, I meant trails, not trains. Not really interested in trains(not that there's anything wrong with that).

Drugstore Trailrider

Milothedog has a great map and altitude profile...

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    Sorry, I meant trails, not trains. Not really interested in trains(not that there's anything wrong with that).
    If you check the map on this site and click on the "Legend" on the left-hand side it will take you to the altitude profile. It looks like you already saw it, unless you aren't the only one who uses Skidmark as a handle:
    http://www.fiberspec.com/map02/map/m10000.html

I don't know what you are hoping for, but short of actually pre-riding it, which I hope I get to do, I doubt were are going to get any better information that Milo has given us.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I saw the stuff put up by Milo, still nothing from DCB though. I was just hoping some Payson local could give us a little 411. Guess I'll just have to call in sick to work one day(gotta love the govt. job!) and make the trip to pre-ride. See ya at the races!

Drugstore Trailrider

That is my biggest beef with DCB

Yeah, I saw the stuff put up by Milo, still nothing from DCB though. I was just hoping some Payson local could give us a little 411. Guess I'll just have to call in sick to work one day(gotta love the govt. job!) and make the trip to pre-ride. See ya at the races!
    It is only 3 weeks before that race and DCB hasn't posted anything on it under their "More info" link. Thank goodness for Milo. I do have a friend who rides in the Beginner Men 40-49 who lives in Payson and I have an email in to him but haven't heard back. I am still hoping to preride it the last weekend of this month but can't pin anything down yet.

Are you going to McDowell next weekend?

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I'll be there. Luckily I was able to register before the price increase. Should be interesting. Last year 4X rider Wade Bootes entered the xc race and blew everyones doors off for about the first 1/4 mile, then DNF'd. Didn't get a free t-shirt last year either.

Portable curmudgeon

Call the Payson LBS

You might want to ring up Manzanita Cyclery at (928) 474-0744 (e-mail addy is RidePayson@cybertrails.com) and see if they could comment on the singlespeed angle. Hardworking little shop - if they have the scoop and share it, you could drop by and purchase a little something in thanks.

AZB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks, I will.

Saucy Size
    Any Payson area riders out there? There's a race up there in a few weeks, and I probably wont be able to pre-ride, as I live way down here in Bisbee. The course is supposed to be on FS roads 209 to 209a to 406. About a 28 mile loop I think. Is anyone familliar with this route? How bad is the climb back up to town from Doll Baby Ranch? Long and gradual or steep? Any gearing suggestions for singlespeeders? The last time I was up that way I rode out east on the Mogollon Rim, sweet singletrack!
    I've done the ride and it's pretty do-able on a singlespeed. The climb up out of Doll Baby Ranch has one steepish climb I was able to clean in 34:18, but mostly those roads are crazy fast and never very flat. That particular route is kind of a drag, but hey...it IS a race course after all.

Most of the route is mapped in my book, under "Cypress Thicket."

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Members who have read this thread: 0