Pass Mt Night Ride.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,371

    Pass Mt Night Ride.

    Ok so when are we doing this? New hours mean the trails are open until 10pm Fridays and Saturdays. I called the park and confirmed it is no issue to do a night ride on Pass Mt but the women was taken back and highly suggested not riding it. Asked if I have riden it during the day and told me its a helicopter rescue for anything on the backside.

    So who is in?

    When? This weekend? The following weekend?

    Which route? CW or CCW?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    HAHA I love it! Count me in
    My vote is for CCW

    Any night during the week day works for me

  3. #3
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,371
    Trails close at 8pm Sunday - Thursday so it has to be either a Friday or Saturday night ride.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    Oh I missed that part . I'll probably be doing a trip somewhere starting Friday but I can on that next Friday or Saturday on forward.

  5. #5
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,522
    I'd be in likely for Saturday. My vote would be CCW

  6. #6
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,939
    Now that is pretty cool. If my relationship with my bike improves, I'll get in on some of that.....sometime. My mechanical confidence in my bike is at about 2% - mostly due to the bad juju I picked up somewhere that has been following me the last few months. But maybe there's no better place than Pass Mt. to shake it loose!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  7. #7
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,489
    wish I had lights so many times I have wanted to shred at night.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  8. #8
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,090
    Place holder in case you guys do this on another weekend as well... CCW

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    814
    I've never done Pass Mtn. but maybe this weekend I might (during the day though). Is CCW the best direction to ride for the first time? Where do you start from? What is the trail actually like?

  10. #10
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,521
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I've never done Pass Mtn. but maybe this weekend I might (during the day though). Is CCW the best direction to ride for the first time? Where do you start from? What is the trail actually like?

    No, CW would be best imo but it's done the other way as well.
    Trail is a mix short of up and downs for a mile that get your heart pumping on the highway side, with some good rocky ups along the way, pretty good climbing on the north side, a steep descent back down with some quick exposure and a good amount of technical difficulty on the east/north d/h side, and a rocky bone jarring high speed run to the south end, followed by a return (to pay parking lot) trip of rocky short climbs and wash crossings back to the start. This is assuming you pay to park in the lot. Start near Windcave T/H. You can access PM there easily. There are free places to park like the end of Meridian road as well that have park access.

    Technical riding wise it's a step up from the toughest parts of Hawes if that helps, but it really is a mix of everything. I still think the easiest parts of PM are harder than 60-70% of anything at Hawes. Similar to the start of Wild Horse Pass or whatever trail you take to the right at Mine trail.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 05-23-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: meant to say ride it CW

  11. #11
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,371
    Hey. Sorry everyone. Sort of forgot it was a holiday weekend and I have family coming in myself. Doesnt mean I cant go but it seems several others are busy as well. Maybe first weekend in June? Although I did see the news calling for 80's this Sunday ?!?!?! Hard to beat that this time of year.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Yes, CCW would be best imo but it's done the other way as well.
    Trail is a mix short of up and downs for a mile that get your heart pumping on the highway side, with some good rocky ups along the way, pretty good climbing on the north side, a steep descent back down with some quick exposure and a good amount of technical difficulty on the east/north d/h side, and a rocky bone jarring high speed run to the south end, followed by a return (to pay parking lot) trip of rocky short climbs and wash crossings back to the start. This is assuming you pay to park in the lot. Start near Windcave T/H. You can access PM there easily. There are free places to park like the end of Meridian road as well that have park access.

    Technical riding wise it's a step up from the toughest parts of Hawes if that helps, but it really is a mix of everything. I still think the easiest parts of PM are harder than 60-70% of anything at Hawes. Similar to the start of Wild Horse Pass or whatever trail you take to the right at Mine trail.
    Thanks for the info EDR! I think the trail you're talking about is Twisted Sister at Hawes. The climb up that little segment is a royal pain but the downhill is sooo much fun! I'm pretty good with almost everything Hawes has to offer with the exception of some of the downhill switchbacks coming off the top of the Mine (especially that nasty right-turn dropoff that scares the crap out of me every time!). Would you say Pass Mtn. is a graduating step from Hawes then? The only other trails I've ever really been on are the Santans (tame) and BCT from RS and around LPL and back. Also several trails up in Pinetop too (the 35 mile course of ToWM, Los Burros, and the Secret Trails).

  13. #13
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,521
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Would you say Pass Mtn. is a graduating step from Hawes then? T.
    Absolutely. It's a hard trail to explain. It's not terribly difficult (there a spots of course) but it sure ain't easy. Unlike Hawes which is great for newbies and seasoned riders alike, PM is not a good place for a novice due to the climbing involved, the steepness on the d/h and all the rocks on the backside. One tip, at the bottom of the d/h it gets to be baby head central. The faster you can ride that mile or so the better off you are. If you pick your way through the chunder you end up going very slow and there are wheel grabbers everywhere.

    It's not too technical by PHX standards but compared to a lot of stuff it is techy. Los Burros is an awesome trail but is a 1 out of 10 on the technical scale, on that same scale I'd rate PM as 5 or 6 and Hawes as 3 or 4. Go do it, if your'e rock'n Hawes you'll love it..

    A BIG BTW, btw.....I meant to say ride it CW at first, NOT ccw!
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 05-23-2012 at 03:31 PM.

  14. #14
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Thanks for the info EDR! I think the trail you're talking about is Twisted Sister at Hawes. The climb up that little segment is a royal pain but the downhill is sooo much fun! I'm pretty good with almost everything Hawes has to offer with the exception of some of the downhill switchbacks coming off the top of the Mine (especially that nasty right-turn dropoff that scares the crap out of me every time!). Would you say Pass Mtn. is a graduating step from Hawes then? The only other trails I've ever really been on are the Santans (tame) and BCT from RS and around LPL and back. Also several trails up in Pinetop too (the 35 mile course of ToWM, Los Burros, and the Secret Trails).
    I’d say Pass Mt is moderately to significantly more difficult than Hawes but still ridable. Hawes has flow where I really don’t feel like Pass Mt does. There aren’t really any large technical spots like the waterfall on Somo its more of a collection of smaller, near continuous tech moves that add up, get you tired, and make you pay for getting sloppy. There are spots with exposure so making mistakes in the wrong spots can have consequences. I’m not trying to tell you, you shouldn’t ride it just trying to help set expectations. It’s a ride that definitely feels 2 - 3 times longer than it actually is effort wise.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  15. #15
    skilldest©
    Reputation: _dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    439
    watch out for the "wheel catchers" out there on PM...................

  16. #16
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,521
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    watch out for the "wheel catchers" out there on PM...................
    Heck, they even have foot catchers out there. Last winter we crossed paths with a trail runner heading in the opposite direction, he was in the rock gardens heading from Meridian to the saddle. His leg was all bloody and his knee and shin were gacked up.

    PM is the only trail I ride in the east valley where I bring my knee armor every time. I usaully don't even think about using the pads for Natty.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    Yeah either way is fun during the day. However I think CCW is the safer route at night.

    When I ride PM, I park on the Usery road (north of the Usery park rd entrance) and head up the wash trail to Pass Mt trail, then head CCW. You can get some nice flowish, little up but mainly downhill trail before pedaling up the rocky section on the backside. On the way down you can ride some smooth single track for a little over 2 miles back to your vehicle.

    If you park at the main parking lot and ride CW, you ultimately get the same effect in reverse except with a short climb at the end... it's a technical rocky downhill and a smoother but longer uphill.

    If you leave from the main parking lot and go CCW, it's a short fast downhill...a rocky climb to the saddle, and about about a 2 mile downhill to the nice flow(ish), little up but mainly downhill section back to the parking lot.


    If you leave from the AJ entrance and head CW there's a short rocky downhill followed by an up and down (but mainly up) section of trail to a smooth uphill to the back of the saddle. On the way down it's a rockier downhill ride for a little less than 2 miles back to your vehicle.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.