Pass mountain- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pass mountain

mtbr member

Pass mountain

Thinking about riding it this weekend but read in the visitors thread that ya'll consider it a "Black" level trail.

Anyone with experience on the loop that can relate it to some of the other trails in the area?
    My buddy and I will both be on hard tails.

Also, is there a fee to use the Usery park?

mtbr member
    There is a fee if you start in the park. If you go up meridian til it ends, you can go from there for free

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's a tough trail. Do a search for more info. No way I'd personally ride it on a hardtail.

Team Tortuga
    I agree with Blatant, there is no way in hades I would ride that on a hardtail. Park in the park or else you might come back to a break in.

mtbr member
    thats all I needed to know guys. Where would you recommend we go for an equal length ride that is a bit smoother, other than Pemberton and SoMo, but still local to the valley?

I love bike!
    Agree with Blatant and Crazy. Might rattle ur fillings loose on the SE side of the mtn on a HT. Unless ur into that sort of thing. Would recommend body armor too.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrone.minton
    thats all I needed to know guys. Where would you recommend we go for an equal length ride that is a bit smoother, other than Pemberton and SoMo, but still local to the valley?
    Hawes

EDR
    Hawes, just down the road from Pass Mtn.

Pass Mtn. is not all that bad. I don't know what a black diamond bike trail really is. PM is fast and flowy at times, steep exposed at times, and bone jarring other times. It's got it all, but even though the north end has been sanitized, the south is still very very very rocky. I wouldn't ride a HT out there either

mtbr member
    I guess I forgot some people still keep valuables in their cars these days.

I agree with them that Hawes does sound like it might be a better bet for you. Pass isn't that bad though. I did get hurt once when I was there.... but I wasn't even on my bike at the time. Ride Hawes this week and Pass next week.

And then ride them both in one shot the week after.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Hawes, just down the road from Pass Mtn.

Pass Mtn. is not all that bad. I don't know what a black diamond bike trail really is. PM is fast and flowy at times, steep exposed at times, and bone jarring other times. It's got it all, but even though the north end has been sanitized, the south is still very very very rocky. I wouldn't ride a HT out there either
    its not a black trail, there is only about 2 moves that have real consequences. There are plenty of places to fall, however. If you are uncomfortable on intermediate tech terrain, it will be a big challenge. If you are an ok tech rider, you can handle it. If you are asking yourself "what the h@ll does he mean by intermediate tech terrain?" then it might be over your head. armor is never a bad idea.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    on that note, may have a friend who wants to ride but need to borrow another friends bike. That bike has a sliced tire. Anyone have a 29 tire for around 25$?

Team Tortuga
    Where would you recommend we go for an equal length ride that is a bit smoother, other than Pemberton and SoMo, but still local to the valley?
    Local is all a matter of perspective. I live in NW Peoria so it is 45+ minutes to everywhere for me. If you live in Chandler give Casa Grande Mtn a try. If you live in Central Phoenix go play on the trails in the Phoenix Mtn Preserve, park at Dreamy Draw, take Epicrider's map, explore and have fun. If you live near the southwest side go ride FINs, you won't regret it. North side, go ride the BCT, it's a blast! West side, go try the Mesquite to Ford Canyon up and back in the White Tanks. All of these rides are hard tail friendly for the most part and will offer some fresh scenery for you.

Mike-e
    Watch out for the cholla... I fell in one yesterday a.m. out there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pass mountain-cholla.jpeg  

Rhino
    yeah! Only an idiot would ride Pass Mtn on a fully rigid SS with carbon forks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    im going to do pass this weekend what direction is better cw or ccw

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by 88mustanggt
    im going to do pass this weekend what direction is better cw or ccw
    cw.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Team Tortuga
    +1 for CW

I tried CCW last time and I would have rather ridden CW to the saddle and then turned back around.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Couple of us are riding pm Saturday morning

ride more, blog less

pass mountain...

Thinking about riding it this weekend but read in the visitors thread that ya'll consider it a "Black" level trail.

Anyone with experience on the loop that can relate it to some of the other trails in the area?
    My buddy and I will both be on hard tails.

Also, is there a fee to use the Usery park?

hey check out mtbikeaz.com.... lots of pics and video.... also consider hawes... this is an advanced trail too tho, but both are do-able on hard tails
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    me and my buddy are gona start it around 10.30ish on sat

dirt visionary
    PM on a hardtail is a fun experience enjoyed only once a year. Last time I rode it on a hardtail I had a judy upfront which might as well have been a rigid fork.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Couple of us are riding pm Saturday morning
    what time? might join u if that's ok.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You'd be welcome to join in. I guess we really don't have a time set yet, but it'll be relatively early (like FIP at 9ish). We plan on paying the $6 and parking in the park for a start point. I'll post back up in the a.m. when we get a set time.

I love bike!
    You'd be welcome to join in. I guess we really don't have a time set yet, but it'll be relatively early (like FIP at 9ish). We plan on paying the $6 and parking in the park for a start point. I'll post back up in the a.m. when we get a set time.
    check ur PM. thx!

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    +1 for CW

I tried CCW last time and I would have rather ridden CW to the saddle and then turned back around.
    CW to the saddle and back is the PM nectar. But it's oddly compelling to ride the loop. I'm doing out and back Sunday I reckon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    FUN STUFF!!!! not as bad as everyone said but yeah im glad the HT stayed at home.

mtbr member
    ended up going up to T100 and VOAZ today for the first time with Brilog. His deraileur got hung in the spokes about 1/4 mile in, but he straightened it and continued the ride less 4 spokes to show me around.

had a great time!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    We had a good ride out there today. Bunch of hikers, but all were pleasant and friendly. No real issues from a technical perspective. It's a fun trail with a lot of climbing. There is some gnar and PM will bite you if you're not careful.

There's no way I'd ride it on a hardtail.

Broke another derailleur hanger today and took out another rear der. This was a brand-new Wheels Mfg. hanger and a brand-new Sram X7. The hanger broke (not bent, broke) while still on the climb. The subsequent whipping around of the der. took it out. Shortened the chain and rode the rest of the trail single-speed.

Still good times had.

ride more, blog less

Broke another derailleur hanger today and took out another rear der. This was a brand-new Wheels Mfg. hanger and a brand-new Sram X7. The hanger broke (not bent, broke) while still on the climb. The subsequent whipping around of the der. took it out. Shortened the chain and rode the rest of the trail single-speed.

Still good times had.
    ]

.... just had a similar problem... snapped my hanger and the rear derail flung into my wheel takin out about 6 spokes.... gotta put on a new cable tomorrow to make sure the derail is still healthy... i sure hope so, but it is slightly bent
    i like these odds....

"No Clue Crew"
    Made a quick Pass Mountain Video from Saturdays ride. Just a few photos and video from one obstacle................Drew

Editing Video Due to YouTubes Copy Right's!! I bought a CD, I should be able to use the music for whatever I want, right?..........Drew

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Made a quick Pass Mountain Video from Saturdays ride. Just a few photos and video from one obstacle................Drew

Nice video, that small section your'e showing in the video is the signature move out there, not the hardest spot but the coolest and most fun to make. It's much scarier than the video makes it look..

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    Nice video, that small section your'e showing in the video is the signature move out there, not the hardest spot but the coolest and most fun to make. It's much scarier than the video makes it look..
    Uploading the video to Vimeo so it's in HD and has audio and thanks......Drew

I love bike!
    Thanks for posting Drew. Finally a pic/vid where I'm actually riding the bike and not a$$ over elbows

That was a good time.

"No Clue Crew"
    Okay, here we go; HD with audio! Enjoy.......Drew

from Drew Hutchinson on Vimeo.

Pass Mountain, AZ - April 10th 2010. Good times with a few good riders!.......Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0