Park Service and National- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Park Service and National

The park service blocked many of the fun variation sections today on National. They even dug out a fun little kicker jump. They blocked a lot off with big branches and rocks. I wonder if they will be doing more?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    *******s, they think they own what was given to us...Planet earth. I had one tell us to slow down today on our way down...I don't believe there is a speed limit on any of these trails. As long as we ride safe and pay attention to others on the trail there are no LEGAL LAWS governing the way we operate our bikes on National.

mtbr member
    I bet the lines they were blocking off weren't even on the trail. How dare they try to block something off like that. Unbelievable. It's like they think that in a city of millions of people that off trail "variations" could become a big problem quickly. You should show them how wrong they are by speeding down the fire road and hitting as many hikers as possible. There are no laws against it!

mtbr member
    OK. before this threaad gets too silly I will use my infinite wisdom to pacify all sides of the argument.
    1. Don't ride on one or Phoenix's most traveled trails like an ahole. Especially during tourist season.
    2. Riding like an ahole includes hauling ass and scaring old Canadians regardless if "you were in control."
    3. Blocking off trail lines and flattening "kickers" is part of the deal. Grow up and stop being a pansy.
    4. Don't pull the locals' rule crap on National Trail. This is not The Lords of Dogtown. This is a city park in the 6th largest city in the USA.
    5. Please mix me another drink. NOW!
    6. You should earn your turns anyway.
    7. This has nothing to do with the "taxes you pay just like everyone else."
    8. Just kidding for Christ's sake!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    OK. before this threaad gets too silly I will use my infinite wisdom to pacify all sides of the argument.
    1. Don't ride on one or Phoenix's most traveled trails like an ahole. Especially during tourist season.
    2. Riding like an ahole includes hauling ass and scaring old Canadians regardless if "you were in control."
    3. Blocking off trail lines and flattening "kickers" is part of the deal. Grow up and stop being a pansy.
    4. Don't pull the locals' rule crap on National Trail. This is not The Lords of Dogtown. This is a city park in the 6th largest city in the USA.
    Well said! I am mixing you a drink as we speak. I might drink it myself before we meet though. My bad!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    I bet the lines they were blocking off weren't even on the trail. How dare they try to block something off like that. Unbelievable. It's like they think that in a city of millions of people that off trail "variations" could become a big problem quickly. You should show them how wrong they are by speeding down the fire road and hitting as many hikers as possible. There are no laws against it!
    I hear what you are saying about off trail variations! However, a lot of these were right next to the trail and were rock only variations. You could ride them 1,000 times and it would not have created an "off trail" trail. The little jump was actually on the trail and the trail is still there.

"No Clue Crew"
    LMAO!

dirt visionary
    Its what happens when people wanna modifiy the existing trail...its gonna be blocked off/removed. Its a preserve for a reason . So enjoy those lil bits when they show up but no need to cry when they disappear..
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Like the guy who screamed "commin' down" as his warning he was riding the waterfall.

The clown gave no other consideration other than a 5 second warning by yelling at the top of his lungs as he was riding, didn't bother looking to make sure it was clear, didn't know if he was about to run over an old lady or kids, didn' know if someone was hiking their bike up. This guy wasn't going to let anyone mess up his flow...what a clown.

dirt visionary
    yup plenty of clowns around... I've rode with people who ask me if I stop for hikers all the time. I smile and say yup. Only time I don't is when they wave me by or step way the hell of trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Like the guy who screamed "commin' down" as his warning he was riding the waterfall.

The clown gave no other consideration other than a 5 second warning by yelling at the top of his lungs as he was riding, didn't bother looking to make sure it was clear, didn't know if he was about to run over an old lady or kids, didn' know if someone was hiking their bike up. This guy wasn't going to let anyone mess up his flow...what a clown.

What if he did make sure nobody was coming? And he made a warning yell as a courtesy just in case there was someone jogging up when he was half way down and couldn't stop? Would you rather someone come to a complete stop, look both ways, before proceeding to something technical?... or maybe use a whistle, a cow bell and strobe lights on their bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A clown riding National, wow! I would love to see that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ...and at least the CLOWN warns of his coming...you are probably the guy sitting on the spine or blocking the other lines with your buddies.

dirt visionary
    Ah the famous water fall tea party that shiz is outta hand . The park service might as well haul up a big bike rack and install a ramada for em.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Right with ya clock, when are we riding? Gotta check out the new SX..........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo

What if he did make sure nobody was coming? And he made a warning yell as a courtesy just in case there was someone jogging up when he was half way down and couldn't stop? Would you rather someone come to a complete stop, look both ways, before proceeding to something technical?... or maybe use a whistle, a cow bell and strobe lights on their bikes?
    Trust me, he didn't. We were parked way above the falls eating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    ...and at least the CLOWN warns of his coming...you are probably the guy sitting on the spine or blocking the other lines with your buddies.
    Whatever.

lurker extraordinaire
    I wondered if all the work was done by the Park Service or by hikers taking matters into their own hands. Given the amount of work that had obviously went into it, I figured it was "official" and not just the work of a couple hikers.

Pivotal figure
    I ride with a cowbell very often, especially on weekends. I also know enough to stop at the cool sections just to make sure I'll get a clear run down it. Never really seems to ruin my flow and I have NEVER had an issue with other trail users. Always remember, that Park predates any mountain bike by a huge margin so never take access for granted.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

My other ride is your mom
    No one comes up on the waterfall without knowing about it....and if they do, they WILL pull over. Expecting to just roll up and send it without a spot is a D-double-OU-SHE move IMO. It pretty much puts you in the same category as snowboarders that sit on their @$$'es just below a blind rollover......

.....yeah.....I just went there.....

Get Some!
    you talking about that little drop/jump thing right at the end of national where mormon trail starts, in front of that big pile of rocks? a few weeks ago that was closed off by branches and rocks too, I cleared a section big enough for my tires to go through without it looking like it was cleared, im sure a little modification can take place that wont piss everyone off for the rest of the sections... so long as its discrete... ill ride it wednesday and see whats up.

Shred...it's the new drug
    These come and go all the time...whether it's park service or hikers, doesn't matter. They'll be back(the features) once the temps hit 100...nobody in their right mind will want to be up on that mountain in the dead of summer...except us

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    These come and go all the time...whether it's park service or hikers, doesn't matter. They'll be back(the features) once the temps hit 100...nobody in their right mind will want to be up on that mountain in the dead of summer...except us

Just because you have AC on the way up should not make you feel special

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    today on somo i not only saw a blue bag,, but a black one, a clear one, a target one, and a neon green one hanging from a tree branch... and then i got to chase a chuckwalla,,

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    today on somo i not only saw a blue bag,, but a black one, a clear one, a target one, and a neon green one hanging from a tree branch... and then i got to chase a chuckwalla,,

Egads! They're breeding! (the bags, not the Chuckwallas)*
    And producing mutants!

*I'm sure that they are breeding too, but we can't discuss that; we wouldn't want this threads' content rating pushed past PG-13 would we?!

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    No one comes up on the waterfall without knowing about it....and if they do, they WILL pull over. Expecting to just roll up and send it without a spot is a D-double-OU-SHE move IMO. It pretty much puts you in the same category as snowboarders that sit on their @$$'es just below a blind rollover......

.....yeah.....I just went there.....
    Oh no U didn't! Anybody on the downhill side of a blind roll over is new to the sport of "skiing" (I use that as a general gravity term).

The quickest way to teach a skier how to keep in mind that they have long poles attached to their hands in the lift line is to... insert comment here. Personally I like to bend them to shorten the fatality radius.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro
    Oh no U didn't! Anybody on the downhill side of a blind roll over is new to the sport of "skiing" (I use that as a general gravity term).

The quickest way to teach a skier how to keep in mind that they have long poles attached to their hands in the lift line is to... insert comment here. Personally I like to bend them to shorten the fatality radius.

What's a spotter?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

jddist
    May 2008

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt

This sounds like me, but I hope not, because I thought I have very good riding etiquette and don't want to upset anyone on the trail, hiker or biker. When coming down the waterfall I do yell "coming down", as do many others, just before getting to the middle section. I do this to make sure that If there is someone at the bottom of the lower section I can't see they will at least know that I am coming so as not to surprise them. Then, as I enter the top of the bottom section, I ride the "spine" line BTW, I come to almost a complete stall as I pick my line on the spine, and make sure there isn't anyone coming up. If there is someone coming up that I couldn't see earlier, I can stop at that point no problem and let them up. I there is someone there and they are obviously giving me room and waiting for me to come down, most likely because they heard my earlier scream, I will continue down and thank them for letting me by. There is always the chance that even after starting down this section there is someone there around the corner I couldn't see, and by my yelling earlier they will at least know that I am coming.

I can't think of a more courteous way to come down other that getting off the bike and walking the whole thing first to make sure it is clear, but that seams a bit overkill.

Would like to hear others impressions on this. If I am out of line, I apologize and will adjust my riding to what the community fell is appropriate.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet
    This sounds like me, but I hope not, because I thought I have very good riding etiquette and don't want to upset anyone on the trail, hiker or biker. When coming down the waterfall I do yell "coming down", as do many others, just before getting to the middle section. I do this to make sure that If there is someone at the bottom of the lower section I can't see they will at least know that I am coming so as not to surprise them. Then, as I enter the top of the bottom section, I ride the "spine" line BTW, I come to almost a complete stall as I pick my line on the spine, and make sure there isn't anyone coming up. If there is someone coming up that I couldn't see earlier, I can stop at that point no problem and let them up. I there is someone there and they are obviously giving me room and waiting for me to come down, most likely because they heard my earlier scream, I will continue down and thank them for letting me by. There is always the chance that even after starting down this section there is someone there around the corner I couldn't see, and by my yelling earlier they will at least know that I am coming.

I can't think of a more courteous way to come down other that getting off the bike and walking the whole thing first to make sure it is clear, but that seams a bit overkill.

Would like to hear others impressions on this. If I am out of line, I apologize and will adjust my riding to what the community fell is appropriate.

Thanks
    IMO, based on your description, you're not doing anything wrong. The way MB described it, it sounded like some dude didn't even bother to check his surroundings before descending, which is a bit dangerous. But as long as you're cognizant of your surroundings, you're fine. I don't think anybody is suggesting you walk.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Get Some!
    i see people fly down the left side of waterfall without yelling or slowing and it blows my mind to the point where i cant even be mad, I'm so impressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Clowns

Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    A clown riding National, wow! I would love to see that!
    Anybody that can ride a bad ass MT Bike down the waterfall is a CLOWN! Just kidding.....don't be so serious you Clowns.

Next time you see a clown riding down the waterfall...you should give him one of those big clown horns they sell at walmart. Better then those sissy bells people put on their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Theycallmebrown
    you talking about that little drop/jump thing right at the end of national where mormon trail starts, in front of that big pile of rocks? a few weeks ago that was closed off by branches and rocks too, I cleared a section big enough for my tires to go through without it looking like it was cleared, im sure a little modification can take place that wont piss everyone off for the rest of the sections... so long as its discrete... ill ride it wednesday and see whats up.
    Arms finally got all its skin back from a couple runs off that one and one that went wrong. Ill miss it

Members who have read this thread: 0